belcherboy

If New Orleans takes another hit, why rebuild?

I can't understand how you still can't understand why it makes sense to keep the city there, given you now know how existentially critical it is to our economy to keep it there.

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about! :happy:

Is it possible to create a port without rebuilding the vast majority of the neighborhoods? I mean, is there no alternatives but to spend billions rebuilding what was destroyed/damaged just 3 years earlier?

3 years ago it was brought up if the city should be salvaged, or to cut the losses and move it or abandon it. Obviously they decided to keep the city in tact and work on inproving everything. Looking at the water right now it doesn't seem like we couldn't have an reinactment just because of how much water is at the wall and how much longer it will most likely put pressure on it. What happens if the city ends up underwater again? Is it time to cut the losses and move things? Is it worth it as a country to continue throwing billions of dollars? What is everyones thoughts?

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about! :happy:

Is it possible to create a port without rebuilding the vast majority of the neighborhoods? I mean, is there no alternatives but to spend billions rebuilding what was destroyed/damaged just 3 years earlier?

I don't think that's possible. There have to be tens of thousands of people working at all these ports, plus their families need to be with them. These people have to live someplace close by, and everything within at least 200 miles is prime hurricane territory, even 200 miles inland. Additionally, there have to be businesses to support these people's lives, chiefly retail, religion and government. That right there adds probably two people for every worker at the ports. So I think you're looking at a metro area of at least a couple hundred thousand that has to live there to keep the commerce in operation at peak levels.

Besides that, I think we're getting carried away with ourselves here, anyway. I lived 44 years before the idea that New Orleans could get wiped out was even an inkling in my mind, because they went those 44 years -- and decades before that -- without a game-changing storm like Katrina. I think it's likely it will be numerous decades before anything like that happens down there again, and within that time Katrina will recede into memory and the area will build up again as though Katrina never happened.

They both do have similar liabilities. I just don't understand why we would continue to build in an area that is prone, and always will be prone, to natural disaster. I'm sure the same could be said of Iraq though.

In that case, lets get rid of Florida, the whole west coast, the gulf states, and the Carolinas. How about Kansas and all of tornado alley while we're at it.

In that case, lets get rid of Florida, the whole west coast, the gulf states, and the Carolinas. How about Kansas and all of tornado alley while we're at it.

Thats dumb. Florida and the Carolinas aren't a bowl waiting to be re-flooded. We're at or above sea level. Surge has never been a problem in the east coast. Hugo, Andrew, and Floyd, the last three significant east coast storms caused most their damage by wind, and Floyd did some flooding.

Thats dumb. Florida and the Carolinas aren't a bowl waiting to be re-flooded. We're at or above sea level. Surge has never been a problem in the east coast.

They are still in areas of natural disaster.

They are still in areas of natural disaster.

Every area in the world is in danger of a natural disaster. Be it flooding, tornado, tsunami, blizzard, ect. Thats not the point. New Orleans will be flooded again by another Katrina event one day. It is a city well below sea level.

Every area in the world is in danger of a natural disaster. Be it flooding, tornado, tsunami, blizzard, ect. Thats not the point. New Orleans will be flooded again by another Katrina event one day. It is a city well below sea level.

The city has been around for 300 years. I'll be willing to rebuild it once every 300 years.

The city has been around for 300 years. I'll be willing to rebuild it once every 300 years.

how about twice in three years?? (of course I don't think the hurricane is going to be as bad this time)

I'm cool if they rebuild it again, but honestly will you have the same attitude if another hurricane comes through in the next ten years and wipes it out again?

My opinion is you build a little town near the port that is well fortified, but can only hold about 10,000 people or enough to work the port and local businesses necessary for a community. Take the rest of the money that would have been spent on NO and build up another area out of the "bowl". it would be sad to see NO gone, but enough is enough IMO. If they want to live there, tell them to build it themselves. I don't think anyone will build there without government help.

how about twice in three years?? (of course I don't think the hurricane is going to be as bad this time)

I'm cool if they rebuild it again, but honestly will you have the same attitude if another hurricane comes through in the next ten years and wipes it out again?

My opinion is you build a little town near the port that is well fortified, but can only hold about 10,000 people. Take the rest of the money and build up another area out of the "bowl". it would be sad to see NO gone, but enough is enough IMO. If they want to live there, tell them to build it themselves. I don't think anyone will build there without government help.

What about San Francisco? They've been hit by 2 major earthquakes the past century and the city was rebuild. A hurricane could just as easily take out Miami. An earthquake could level Los Angeles. I can't believe this nonsense about taking a city off the map.

What about San Francisco? They've been hit by 2 major earthquakes the past century and the city was rebuild. A hurricane could just as easily take out Miami. An earthquake could level Los Angeles. I can't believe this nonsense about taking a city off the map.

I thought they didn't build on earthquake fault lines anymore?? If true, that would be kinda like building in a bowl that is under the water line.

Like I said, I really don't care, but I'm not donating another dollar for the effort of moving them back there. I imagine I'm not the only one. I would consider giving money to relocate them though.

to be fair, I feel the same way about those people that build homes on the Carolina coast lines!!!

I thought they didn't build on earthquake fault lines anymore?? If true, that would be kinda like building in a bowl that is under the water line.

Like I said, I really don't care, but I'm not donating another dollar for the effort of moving them back there. I imagine I'm not the only one. I would consider giving money to relocate them though.

to be fair, I feel the same way about those people that build homes on the Carolina coast lines!!!

What do you mean anymore? Obviously San Francisco is on some fault line. They haven't moved the city.

What do you mean anymore? Obviously San Francisco is on some fault line. They haven't moved the city.

Not necessarily. It was just something I heard. Basically they build around the fault lines. I'm sure there are cities on some fault lines. Regardless an earthquake would affect hundreds, perhaps thousands of miles outside the fault line, which would make it impossible compared to relocating NO. You can also build infastructure that would hold up decently to earthquakes. There is nothing you can do to a flooded city. The waste problems, water damage, mold, makes rebuilding a LONG process. Especially when you have to wait for the flood waters to subside (or physically pump it out).

Again, if you think building and rebuilding in a bowl is a good use of money, than we'll just have to differ in opinion. I liked NO when I visited. I just think it is dumb to force something that has proven to be a disaster twice in the past three years. Especially given the fact it will happen again, so I guess we will have to disagree.

New Orleans will be non-existant within 300 years. The question is, how many more Katrinas before people finally realize?

Most of us have realized it. That's why we don't live there.

Most of us have realized it. That's why we don't live there.

Really, virtually no one will be living in NO in the next 30-40 years anyway IMO. At least very few that owns businesses or a home. The insurance there must be OUTRAGEOUS now. Even with good insurance, it wouldn't be worth it to be out of business and homes for long periods of time. I've heard that they have lost over half their citizens in the past 10 years. This storm will probably continue that trend.

I did really like the French Quarter. The grave yards were REALLY cool as well. They were all above ground for obvious reasons.

The thing that cracks me up is that life is suppossed to stop because a hurricane approached New Orleans. I can see them evacuating the coast. But why is the rest of the country suppossed to stop everything they are doing to keep a 24/7 vigil for them? Example - 1,300 miles away in New York City, the New Kids on the Block concert (Not that I enjoy them) was canceled because "it wouldn't have been right to perform when New Orleans was in the middle of what could be a "pretty devastating" storm." The GOP is guilted into dialing down their convention in Minneapolis. On ABC, I see reporters basically accousting GOP partygoers in bars about what they were doing having fun when New Orleans was in peril. Why? Was all fun suppossed to cease this weekend because New Orleans might be in danger? Were GOP people suppossed to sit in their hotel rooms and watch pompus news anchors on cable news networks say the same thing over and over? What about the businesses of Minneapolis? 2 cities should suffer in different regions because of Gustav? Are you kidding me?

Should I feel bad or am I bad for having a steak bbq and going swimming and having drinks this weekend? Why didn't we cancel all the baseball and football games? Should I have taken that money I spent and send it to New Orleans? Should the NYC concert goers, some who waited since Friday and spent real money to see the New York show sit around and 'pray' for New Orleans? Sometimes this country is just plain silly.

It's raining in New Orleans. Life continues.

I agree, we should show our American resolve, genius, and ingenuity by cutting and running from one of our most important port cities.

I agree, we should show our American resolve, genius, and ingenuity by cutting and running from one of our most important port cities.

Actually, the port itself is not very valuable at all. 12th in the US based on cargo value, and dwarfed by the Port of South Louisiana. In fact, Port of South Louisiana is over 3 times as more valuable then New Orleans when it comes to cargo value.

The best solution is to take the rebuild money, move the port operations 30 miles up the river to Port of South Louisiana (which is - wait for it - above sea level) and forget about New Orleans.

The thing that cracks me up is that life is suppossed to stop because a hurricane approached New Orleans. I can see them evacuating the coast. But why is the rest of the country suppossed to stop everything they are doing to keep a 24/7 vigil for them? Example - 1,300 miles away in New York City, the New Kids on the Block concert (Not that I enjoy them) was canceled because "it wouldn't have been right to perform when New Orleans was in the middle of what could be a "pretty devastating" storm."

I shared your view until I read your post. Then I realized I'm in favor of any reason to cancel a New Kids On The Block concert.

But in all seriousness, I agree.

Actually, the port itself is not very valuable at all. 12th in the US based on cargo value, and dwarfed by the Port of South Louisiana. In fact, Port of South Louisiana is over 3 times as more valuable then New Orleans when it comes to cargo value.

The best solution is to take the rebuild money, move the port operations 30 miles up the river to Port of South Louisiana (which is - wait for it - above sea level) and forget about New Orleans.

I think I like this solution!

In 1990 New Orleans population was 490,000.

IN 2006 it had 230,000 people.

It is going away...I think there will always be 40,000 or so people who live there but no need to worry that it will be a metropolis ever again.

I'm not sure this was ever addressed