Edman85

2009 Ballot Eligibility

I love the Gambler, but no way can I vote for him, since I didn't vote for Newsom or Siever.

Yeah, I agree. This is where I struggle with emotion though. Everything inside me wants to vote for him, but it is not the everything inside that determines my vote (same struggle as with Fidrych--and I would vote for Fidrych first)

The name that stand out is Carlos Felipe Peña. In 1998, Carlos was the first round draft pick by the Texas Rangers. Carlos hit the longest home run in Comerica Park. The ball took one bounce and left the stadium.

I thought Eric Munson has the longest home run in Comerica Park history.

I thought Eric Munson has the longest home run in Comerica Park history.
IIRC, Munson has the longest HR there by a Tiger, and Pena was a visiting player?

I did some research and Pena does hold the record. Munson set it in 2004 then Pena broke it a year later by 4 feet.

Fun fact: Pena passed Higginson for most dingers in Comerica Park history with that home run. I'm sure it has been surpassed since.

Just went back and updated the post... Wells and Jones seem to be the only two who have officially retired. Encarnacion probably will never play again, but he hasn't retired. Kenny Rogers still counts himself as a free agent.

I've updated the list on post 15 of this thread with Pudge's signing, and Maroth's release. Still can't get confirmation on the retirements of Kenny Rogers and Juan Encarnacion.

Congrats to everyone that keeps up with who is where. This is some good work.

For some reason I could see Lima playing somewhere for the next 5 years if someone wants him at some sort of level.

Is there a semi-pro league in Alaska? I know they have a summer league, I just don't know if it's a pro league or something for college students or whatever it is. Maybe Lima will end up there one day.

Has Kenny Rogers retired? There has been no announcement but it seems he's gone the "quietly into the sunset" route.

EDIT: Just found this:

"We're making a transition," [Dombrowski] said. "But we knew we would make a transition a few years ago. We were getting to be an older club. Pudge has left. Kenny Rogers has retired. Todd Jones has retired."

http://www.freep.com/article/20090405/SPORTS02/904050505/1050/SPORTS02/Tigers+getting+younger++but+insist+they+re+not+rebuilding

I'm pretty sure Juan Encarnacion is done as well. He hasn't made it official, but doctors have pretty much said he'll never be able to see well enough to play again.