Edman85

2009 Ballot Eligibility

Once again, this is a retirement check for guys who may be eligible for next year's draft. I'll list everybody and update as the next few months progress. Bold means the player has retired. A lot of these guys are on the brink.

Brad Ausmus: Catching for the Astros. A candidate to possibly retire.

Tony Clark: Still hanging in there with Arizona. A candidate to retire after the season.

Damion Easley: A utility guy for the Mets.

Juan Encarnacion: Still doubtful to ever play again, but has yet to retire. As a free agent this offseason, I'll bet he calls it quits and ends up on the ballot.

Robert Fick: Hasn't caught on anywhere this year. I don't want to close the book on him, but it appears likely to qualify for the ballot.

Jason Johnson: A Dodger right now. His career was in jeopardy, but now seems to have pulled Moehler and revived it.

Omar Infante: Had a solid year with Atlanta this year.

CJ Nitkowski: Still in Japan and loving it.

Jose Lima: Still kicking around in the independent leagues.

Mike Maroth: Released by the Royals in April and yet to resurface.

Brian Moehler: Scuffy is still with the Astros and pitching pretty well.

Craig Monroe: Released by Minnesota, still a free agent.

Carlos Pena: Cooled off since last year, but he'll be in the playoffs while the Tigers are on the golf course.

Ivan Rodriguez: We know his story.

Jamie Walker: Still an Oriole and hanging in there. Another year left on his deal guarantees he won't retire.

Jeff Weaver: Might be nearing the end. Currently in AAA with the Indians.

David Wells: Has he officially retired? I think it's safe to put him on the ballot.

Dmitri Young: Struggling with diabetes with the Nats. The cynic in me thinks it's substance abuse problems. Still under contract for another year, so he's unlikely to retire, but he is likely to make Jim Bowden look like an even bigger idiot than we thought.

Free Agents who meet playing time requirements:

Todd Jones: Retired

Kenny Rogers: May be retiring.

Current Tigers with 1000 Tiger AB's or 300 innings:

Placido Polanco

Brandon Inge

Carlos Guillen

Curtis Granderson

Magglio Ordonez

Jeremy Bonderman

Justin Verlander

Nate Robertson

Marcus Thames

According to Maroth's personal website, he underwent shoulder surgery in May 2008 and is expecting to be able to pitch by spring training 2009.

Sounds like he won't be retiring.

The name that stand out is Carlos Felipe Peña. In 1998, Carlos was the first round draft pick by the Texas Rangers. Carlos hit the longest home run in Comerica Park. The ball took one bounce and left the stadium.

Remind me again how long we wait after players retire?

Retired at the time of the ballot...

This has nothing to do with this thread but I was looking at our class of HOFers the other day and was enjoying just going through the posts.

Wells update from last month:

MLB | D. Wells done

Mon, 4 Aug 2008 09:46:58 -0700

The New York Post's Mark Hale reports free-agent SP David Wells (Dodgers) said he's done playing but will not officially retire. "I'm not going to officially do it," Wells said of retiring. "I'm just going to just ride off into the sunset."

http://www.kffl.com/player/4945/MLB

I like Jones and would like to vote for him, but will have to look his career over just like I do with everyone else. One thing I have learned (mostly as I have grown as a fan here at MTS) is that my perception of a player is not necessarily an indicator of how good or bad a player is. I love how, while Jones always made the game interesting, he came through more often than not. When Leyland took him out as closer, the replacements showed what a marvelous job Jones actually did. But then there are some of the closers for other teams that never seem to get touched for runs or hits. Are they just on a level all by themselves, or is Detroit, for some reason, harder to close for than other teams? I really look forward to the discussion on JOnes.

Updated for Jones.

I may vote for him.

Like I said before, if Henneman got in we would have to take a good hard look at the Coaster. I have a strong disdain for the one-inning types, but we do have precedent now for including late-inning relief pitchers.

It will be a challenge to compare him to guys like Henneman and Hernandez, but Jones is definitely on my radar.

Another challenge will be focusing on his two Tiger stints. We must throw out his other seasons (some good, some horrible) of course.

Updating:

Retired:

Todd Jones

David Wells

Free Agents who did not play in '08 but aren't officially retired:

Juan Encarnacion

Robert Fick

Free Agents:

Damion Easley

Mike Maroth

Kenny Rogers

On other team:

Brad Ausmus - Dodgers

Tony Clark - Arizona

Omar Infante - Atlanta

Jason Johnson - NY Yankees

Jose Lima - Indy Leagues

Brian Moehler - Houston

Craig Monroe - Pittsburgh

CJ Nitkowski - Korea

Carlos Pena - Tampa Bay

Ivan Rodriguez - Houston

Jamie Walker - Baltimore

Jeff Weaver - Dodgers

Dmitri Young - Washington

Current Tigers who meet eligibility:

Jeremy Bonderman

Curtis Granderson

Carlos Guillen

Brandon Inge

Magglio Ordonez

Placido Polanco

Nate Robertson

Marcus Thames

Justin Verlander

Current Tigers who could meet minimums after 2009:

Miguel Cabrera (384 AB)

Armando Galarraga (121.1 IP)

Zach Miner (35.1 IP)

Fernando Rodney (45.2 IP)

Ramon Santiago (63 AB)

All right! Santiago is getting there!

And yes, I should've thanked you for this thread a long time ago Edman.

Sorry it took me so long.

If Rogers retires how much stock will you guys put on his 2006 season? It was a great season. He started the all star game and was a force in the playoffs, is that enough to get him in?

If Rogers retires how much stock will you guys put on his 2006 season? It was a great season. He started the all star game and was a force in the playoffs, is that enough to get him in?

For me, no. He didn't have much longevity at all.

Everyone has different cutters, but my standard has been at least three seasons of performance that are significantly above league average. However, longevity may persuade me to vote, in some cases.

It was a defense aided season on top of that.

His postseason was very nice, but one postseason hasn't been enough in the past and won't be now.

My general rule of thumb is that you need to be an absolute stud in three years, a star in 4-5 years, or very good for 6-7. Rogers had one good year, two crappy ones. I'll vote for Brian Moehler before him.

No. I'd put Bobo much higher on the list if I counted one or two season players for induction.

Reading everyone's responses....

I am pretty similar. I look at the college career rule. I want four years with the team and three of them better be darn good if you are there for only four years. Once you get X amount of years, you are judged pretty equally if you were here 7 or 15 years. The guy with 15 years will have some longevity advantages based on his stats, but it a guy was a stud for seven years essentially I look at him as being pretty much on the same level as the guy that was a stud for 15 years. That may be a little different if we were looking at full MLB careers, but so many things can make a guy be on a specific team for 6 years as opposed to 12 and many are out of his control. I sense over the next 10 years (if we are still doing this 10 years from now and I hope we are), this thought process in my mind will come into play a ton to help the modern-era player who hardly ever stays anywhere for more than 6 years.

It's looking like Kenny is retiring... Sean Casey as well, but he wasn't here long enough. I'll bold Kenny when it's official.