RSS Feeder

Leyland sees potential in Inge's bat

So you've run out of arguments after three posts. Well done.

By the way, all I've said is that it is Leyland's job to get the most out of the players on his roster, and that it is not "delusional" for Leyland to believe Inge can bat in the mid-200s with a bit of power.

Prior to '06 Inge was completely under the radar. After his 2006 year (especially his power numbers) opposing pitchers began to take him seriously and since then have effectively neutralized his bat. As I wrote previously, the formula to get Inge out is now well known around the league. Keep the fastballs above the letters.... and throw the offspeed stuff in the dirt. The guy has no concept of the strikezone. He's a good backup catcher, and a fine utility player.... but if he gets 500 ABs he will strike out over 150 times.

Sure Leyland is gonna talk up his players (even weak hitters like Inge)... but if he believes his own words... he's delusional.

Prior to '06 Inge was completely under the radar. After his 2006 year (especially his power numbers) opposing pitchers began to take him seriously and since then have effectively neutralized his bat. As I wrote previously, the formula to get Inge out is now well known around the league. Keep the fastballs above the letters.... and throw the offspeed stuff in the dirt. The guy has no concept of the strikezone. He's a good backup catcher, and a fine utility player.... but if he gets 500 ABs he will strike out over 150 times.

Sure Leyland is gonna talk up his players (even weak hitters like Inge)... but if he believes his own words... he's delusional.

is this when Pitchers started pitching Inge like he was Ted Williams?

Potential is that thing that could happen, but no one has every seen happen.

Logic*Man --- if he was a clock --- has the potential to be right twice a day

Sadly.... I think Leyland (and DD) actually do believe the guy can hit.... and be the starting catcher of a world series calabre team.

Delusional at best.

Starting catchers on World Series teams the last 3 years and their OPS+:

Varitek: 103

Torrealba: 75

Molina: 53

Rodriguez: 97

Pierzynski: 90

Ausmus: 80

Inge 2008: 96

Starting catchers on World Series teams the last 3 years and their OPS+:

Varitek: 103

Torrealba: 75

Molina: 53

Rodriguez: 97

Pierzynski: 90

Ausmus: 80

Inge 2008: 96

You have that for 2008 only but I wonder what it would be for the last 3 years if he was catching. Granted though, I am a casual fan who likes to watch the game and don't know a huge amount of statistics. Would this be the same or would it be much lower? It's not a smart/sarcastic reply but one I would really wonder and like to know. And does that include only the times he catches or was it all of his time playing elsewhere too?

We have been hearing about Inge's hitting "potential" for years. At what point do people realize he simply can't hit? He's a great athlete, but that doesn't always translate to hitting prowess.

We have been hearing about Inge's hitting "potential" for years. At what point do people realize he simply can't hit? He's a great athlete, but that doesn't always translate to hitting prowess.
Because the biggest problem is between his ears.

Sadly.... I think Leyland (and DD) actually do believe the guy can hit.... and be the starting catcher of a world series calabre team.

Delusional at best.

That's the same thing people were saying about him being a World Series calibre starting 3rd baseman. Then he proceeded to outplay both ARod and Chavez in the playoff series leading up to the World Series and hit 25 homers and play gold glove 3rd base during the season.

31 years old.... almost 1000 games.

He is what he is. He's not getting any better.

Potential is that thing that could happen, but no one has every seen happen.

Logic*Man --- if he was a clock --- has the potential to be right twice a day

Sounds a little like Fernando. :wink:

Jason, did you even read what I wrote? I didn't write he should have publicly said "He needs to go". I don't think he should even say that privately as I like Inge. And I didn't refer to 'us' as being MTS posters. Rather 'us' is EVERYONE. If we can sniff the bull **** in that statement, let me tell you - so can Inge and so can the other Tigers. And they don't like getting BS'd anymore than anyone. And I doubt the press conference ramblings of Jim Leyland are going to help us fleece a Major League GM in a trade (that's specific to chasfh :wink: ). Like I wrote, he should have just said what is obvious, which is something along the lines of "Brandon's current production, especially at the power numbers, is good enough for us at the catcher's position"

Look, I'm a big supporter of Jim, but I'm not going to try, like some, to take every nugget that falls from his mouth and jam it into some grand scheme psychological motivational jigsaw puzzle. Sometimes BS is just BS.

You overstated what I was trying to say. I'm not implying that anything Jim Leyland says would lead to our "fleecing" another team in an Inge trade -- obviously, by itself, it would never have that dramatic an effect.

It is a brick in the wall, though, and in the spirit of every little bit helps, it couldn't hurt to talk up Inge in the press -- as well as give him every opportunity to excel on he field (at least in Inge terms), so that it puts us in a more advantageous position once a trade is discussed. A nice little 10-for-25 run would make Inge more marketable. Now if he would only do his part ...