retiredsportsfan

Sheffield on waivers

As in "released" or as in "put on waivers to see if someone claims him"?

If someone was actually stupid enough to claim him would we be out the money we owe? That would be great. Not likely though. This probably means there's a trade in the works?

or as in "put on waivers to see if someone claims him"?

That's my guess.

It's all a mute point ----------NO ONE will pick him up........................

...........no one is as stupid as the Dodgers!!

If someone picks him up don't we still owe him everything but the prorated major league minimum?

I thought it was the pro-rate for the rest of the year and (if) any remaining years on a contract, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I don't see Sheffield in any starting lineups for us anytime soon.

If it's what I think it is (what they'd have to pay), I wouldn't doubt if someone picks him up. They have nothing to lose.

chances are, if someone did claim him, it would be to try to make a trade with Detroit that would necessitate Detroit picking up all or a majority of his salary for this year and next.

Tampa Bay? They need offense and Gary is a native son.

I thought it was the pro-rate for the rest of the year and (if) any remaining years on a contract, but I could be wrong.

Either way, I don't see Sheffield in any starting lineups for us anytime soon.

That's what I thought. Next year would be included in the contract and we'd pay the major league minimum on that as well. No matter what I think the Tigers get stuck with just about all of it.

If someone picks him up don't we still owe him everything but the prorated major league minimum?

Not if they claim him off waivers. If it were irrevocable waivers and he cleared them, then we would owe everything but the minimum.

The pints should taste even better tonight knowing this...

Goodbye Sheff.

It's all a mute point ----------NO ONE will pick him up........................

...........no one is as stupid as the Dodgers!!

Correct!!!

Not if they claim him off waivers. If it were irrevocable waivers and he cleared them, then we would owe everything but the minimum.

This is how NYY ended up with Canseco a number of years back. They claimed him to prevent BOS from getting him. The Rays said take him so they didn't have to pay him the $ and NYY got stuck with him even though they didn't have room.

If you claim someone, and the team lets him go, you pay 100% of the remaining contract. Why someone would actually claim him is beyond me. I would be shocked if he doesn't clear waivers in which case if we released him we would be stuck with the $

Goodbye Sheff.

He's still on the team as far as I know. He'll probably be in the lineup tonight.

chances are, if someone did claim him, it would be to try to make a trade with Detroit that would necessitate Detroit picking up all or a majority of his salary for this year and next.

Tampa Bay? They need offense and Gary is a native son.

I really doubt anyone will risk getting stuck with him, my dream scenario would be Boston or New York doing the incredibly dumb move of claiming him to block Tampa, but I imagine they're smart enough to realize he couldn't help Tampa anyways.

He's still on the team as far as I know. He'll probably be in the lineup tonight.

Oh, if he's there he'll play. He is a professional hitter.

Since they are desperately trying to move him, that makes it even more likely he'll be in the line-up almost every day.

Plus the boo-birds will be out in full force. I can see Leyland playing him every day just to face that. It'll be entertaining, that's for sure.

Goodbye Sheff.

Why would the pints taste better? He's still going to be in the lineup tonight.

That happens only if they release him which I don't think is happening. If he is claimed on regular waivers, then the claiming team has to pay.