The Strategy Expert

OE% - The Ultimate Offensive Stat

Here is the Offensive Efficiency % for the team which measures a value of total contribution and effectiveness at the plate. The formula will not be released, so please save your inquisition-style remarks pertaining to that issue. This is just my stat that I have created based upon my opinion of how batters should be defined offensively.

7/29/2008 OE%

M Joyce ........0.595

R Santiago .....0.583

M Thames ......0.552

M Hollimon ......0.501

M Ordonez ......0.481

M Cabrera ......0.474

C Granderson ..0.472

C Guillen ....... 0.444

B Inge ...........0.437

R Raburn ........0.419

C Thomas ......0.404

P Polanco ......0.397

J Larish ........0.391

I Rodriguez ....0.388

G Sheffield .....0.350

E Renteria ......0.322

B Clevelen ......0.239

D Sardinha .....0.204

AVERAGE ........0.435

9/12/2007 OE%

M Ordonez ......0.583

T Perez ..........0.531

C Granderson ..0.526

G Sheffield ......0.490

C Guillen .........0.488

P Polanco .......0.474

M Hessman .....0.447

M Thames .......0.437

R Raburn .........0.426

S Casey ..........0.397

I Rodriguez ......0.390

B Inge ............0.382

R Santiago ......0.351

O Infante ........0.332

M Rabelo .........0.293

C Maybin .........0.268

AVERAGE .........0.457

Cabrera '07 ......0.541

Note: averages are weighted based upon OE% multiplied by percentage of team plate appearances that each player has taken.

I think you made an error on Sardinha's number.
Nope that's right on. The formula includes your pulse rate multiplied by a factor of .003

Nope that's right on. The formula includes your pulse rate multiplied by a factor of .003

How do you get to know the secret?

I think you made an error on Sardinha's number.

:) The fact that Sardinha has 0 walks in addition to very few hits kills his number. Take Clevlen for example, very few at bats as well as hits, but Clevlen has 3 walks that give him a tiny bit of juice.

Way to go TSE delivering in the clutch and making good on your word!

No prob. These numbers are like gold to me, because there is nothing in baseball that currently exists that delivers an accurate representation of a hitter's overall production.

These are the only numbers that do a good job IMO.

No prob. These numbers are like gold to me, because there is nothing in baseball that currently exists that delivers an accurate representation of a hitter's overall production.

These are the only numbers that do a good job IMO.

I agree.

Nice effort ,but I would say that any stat that has those 4 guys at the top of the list requires a little more lab work..Raburn and Thomas over Polanco??

Sort of like tuna flavored candy..blech..

Nice effort ,but I would say that any stat that has those 4 guys at the top of the list requires a little more lab work..Raburn and Thomas over Polanco??

Sort of like tuna flavored candy..blech..

Well Polanco is the most overrated hitter in baseball, him and Suzuki. That doesnt' mean they are bad hitters, they are good, but the perception of the audience as to what their true value is, is more overvalued than any other players in the game just about.

I know Polanco gives you a nice warm and fuzzy feeling, but you can't beat sound logical math, statistics, and game theory.

Also Polanco has already just about met his strikeout total from last year, and he no longer has the insane average to keep him afloat in the good numbers.

Hollimon has a .501 !! Bring him back up now !!!!

Yeah no kidding, at least give him a shot to maintain it! He would very likely never keep up those numbers, but .500s are extremely good and not easy to get. If he's an imposter, I'd continue to let him act as an imposter until his numbers start to dip! :)

Although Timo Perez last year had even better numbers and on double the number of at bats that Hollimon has.

Hessman is a guy that should be brought up, his numbers are badass in the minors.

Plus I would presume the reason some of those guys are up on top is that they were efficient in their small amount of plate appearances, not that they would be better hitters over the course of an entire season.

Ichiro is an overrated hitter? Without seeing the formula, or understanding what you are basing your assertion on, I'll simply disagree. The guy gets on base and scores a lot of runs. There's value in that.

Hessman is a guy that should be brought up, his numbers are badass in the minors.
Terrific power, but he has never been able to make enough contact at the MLB level to sufficient tap into said power.

Plus I would presume the reason some of those guys are up on top is that they were efficient in their small amount of plate appearances, not that they would be better hitters over the course of an entire season.

Naturally. It's not a predictive stat, it's a stat of results that have happened. I probably could have posted the atbats and all other data, but didn't think it was that necessary, anybody that wants to compare can just as easily pull the data off the Tiger's website and cross reference that way.

Ichiro is an overrated hitter? Without seeing the formula, or understanding what you are basing your assertion on, I'll simply disagree. The guy gets on base and scores a lot of runs. There's value in that.

Ichiro might be the most overrated hitter in the history of baseball. Again, he does a decent job, but not anywhere remotely close to his perceived value.

Also half of what you said is irrelevant, scoring runs after getting on base doesnt count. How well he runs the bases isn't part of this.

This stat only reflects performance in the batter's box.

Would I still want Ichiro on my team? Sure, because he's great at defense and running the bases in addition to being a poor hitter by my standards.

Terrific power, but he has never been able to make enough contact at the MLB level to sufficient tap into said power.

I disagree. I believe the jury is out. He is a better hitter now today than yesterday, the man deserves a chance. He's worth a small investment of a chance just to see if he can do it. Because if he can do it, the payoff is MONSTROUS, if he doesn't perform, oh well that's how life goes, not the end of the world, we have plenty of other substandard hitters that his undershooting of their numbers would be a small gap hat would be hard for him to hit that poorly. But if he hits well, the upside gap has a LOT of room.

Ichiro might be the most overrated hitter in the history of baseball. Again, he does a decent job, but not anywhere remotely close to his perceived value.

Also half of what you said is irrelevant, scoring runs after getting on base doesnt count. How well he runs the bases isn't part of this.

Would I still want Ichiro on my team? Sure, because he's great at defense and running the bases in addition to being a poor hitter by my standards.

0000001mokeyhat.jpg

It's posts like these that make me love reading your contributions to the site so much.

Sure, because he's great at defense and running the bases in addition to being a poor hitter by my standards.

He has been in the top 3 of the AL in hits every single year of his major league career. He has the 2nd highest batting average of all active players. I don't understand how he can be a poor hitter and am baffled at how he's the most overrated batter in the history of baseball.

Naturally. It's not a predictive stat, it's a stat of results that have happened.

So you can use it to figure out yesterday's optimal line-up.