Yoda

Pudge traded

I like Farnsy, and I am glad to have him back.

Two questions . . .

What does this do to our roster (who goes down from the bullpen, and who comes up to back up Inge)?

I wonder if the Yankees would have taken Sheffield if we had included him?

Oakland announcers just announced the trade, and said that the reason the Tigers traded Pudge was because he struck out against Tony Pena Jr...

Funny stuff... (they're playing KC right now)

same here.

We need bullpen help. We traded an aging catcher whose contract is up after this year for a decent bullpen arm who will probably be gone after this year. It is a short term fix for both teams and, at this point, the Tigers could use a bullpen arm much more than Pudge.

Honestly, what else don't you get?

Once again, alot of you are putting way to much value on your favorite teams players...

This move is pretty standard. Pudge is a free agent in a couple months and your bullpen is brutal (alot worse than your catching).

I think its a great move. I was hoping they would trade Pudge for a couple top prospects but this is just as good. Here is why:

1. Pudge and Inge at this point are about a wash. We weren't going to resign Pudge or offer arbitration.. You can only offer a certain percentage below what they are making this year. He made $13 million this year. That means we would still have to pay him close to $10 million. We also need to find out if Inge can be more than a backup catcher.

2. It saves money. Pudge, Jones, Renteria, etc... I think I saw someone say we would save close to $40 million. Can anyone say Sabathia, Sheets, K Rod?

3. Right now Farnsworth is throwing really well. We are in desperate need of bullpen help. Farnsworth + Inge is greater than Pudge at this point in the season. When we get a lead we can't afford to give it up in the 8th inning.

4. We still get the 2 draft picks if he leaves.

Pudge is a future HOF player. However, right now his reputation as a player is better than he has actually played. He has had a hot streak recently, but he doesn't take walks, he doesn't hit with power, he strikes out, grounds out, pops out in clutch situations.

To look at it another way, for as well as Pudge is doing, all DD could get for him was Kyle ****ing Farnsworth? Shows you what kind of value he has.

Unless you think that DD actually WANTED Farnsworth and values him highly. Considering he traded for him before, I'm inclined to believe that he values him. If I find out the Tigers were offered a good prospect for him and turned it down to take Kyle ****ing Farnsworth, I'm going to be pissed.

+1

Anyone who likes this trade, honestly, I don't get it.

I don't hate the trade, but I don't fully understand it either. I am quite happy dealing Pudge. I'd also like to dump Sheff, Renteria, Rogers, anybody that's old and unlikely to help us next season.

Still, I would've liked to actually add something of value for NEXT year.

I guess the only way this makes sense is that we were not going to offer arbitration to Pudge, and we will offer it to Farnsworth. Otherwise this seems like a pointless deal that doesn't really improve our current roster a whole lot, and does nothing for '09 either.

will Farnsy at least be available tonight?

no

Buddah, you don't understand how baseball works. It's ok. Calm down.

I really fail to believe we couldn't have gotten a better return, this pisses me off.

I'm sure Dave just took Kyle because he thinks he's cute or something.

Well, this sucks. Thanks Pudge for making it cool to come to Detroit again. He helped turn this franchise around. I'm thankful for that.

So does this make Inge the permanent catcher?

How disappointing can it be when the Tigers sold more tickets quicker than anytime in their history. From a financial standpoint - this has been a GREAT year for them.

There are some market realities to Detroit in terms of local TV and radio revenue that still can make this a money break even or loss season.

I wonder what the rest of the team will think of this move?

If they are pissy we are "selling" or whatever (even though I disagree with that), DD should collectively kick them all in the nuts. They can only blame themselves for not being in a strong position at the deadline.

I really fail to believe we couldn't have gotten a better return, this pisses me off.

Exactly! So many teams need catching help...

Surely the Marlins woulda given more!

If this means Inge can be our 100 game/season catcher and backup 3b next season, it's a good deal.

The only way that we keep Farnsworth, in my opinion, is if we offer a multi-year deal and make him the closer. Otherwise in a year that K-rod is going to get a 34 year, elevendy billion dollar contract as a reliever, I'm sure someone like Farnsworth will benefit from the inflated value the market will pay for the likes of K-Rod even though K-rod is much more valuable.

Farnsworth 44innings 43 K's 3.65era. Last 10 innings 0 runs 2 hits. I love this trade. Pudge was not as needed as Farnsworth.

Yanks may have filled a need better but DD accomplished some things he was looking for too. Sneaky feeling that deal was done to see what Inge will do and/or showcase him to help DD decide what to do this winter along with providing bullpen with a warm body. Pudge and Farnsworth have been playing better ball lately but neither is/was going to carry a team. I am no great fan of Pudge, Inge, or Farnsworth and am even more concerned about the farm system's lack of depth at catcher.

Well, this sucks. Thanks Pudge for making it cool to come to Detroit again. He helped turn this franchise around. I'm thankful for that.

So does this make Inge the permanent catcher?

That was Fernando Vina.

And yes it does.

I don't hate the trade, but I don't fully understand it either. I am quite happy dealing Pudge. I'd also like to dump Sheff, Renteria, Rogers, anybody that's old and unlikely to help us next season.

Still, I would've liked to actually add something of value for NEXT year.

I guess the only way this makes sense is that we were not going to offer arbitration to Pudge, and we will offer it to Farnsworth. Otherwise this seems like a pointless deal that doesn't really improve our current roster a whole lot, and does nothing for '09 either.

I agree with this assessment. It would have been better to get some prospects, but who knows who people were offering? Looking at the team right now, Farnsy will be more valuable than Pudge.

While I can see the viewpoint that it wasn't a great trade, I honestly have absolutely no clue how somebody can say this was a bad one.

Yoda, I think you and I may be the only ones on here that actually support this.

I'm 100% with you, too. I don't understand why people are so upset about this, I think it was very good for us. Pudge's value was about as high as it could get, and he's been playing over his head. We get a new close, and someone who is younger and had great success in Detroit already. Inge can step in and show us what he has. We weren't going to be able to re-sign Pudge for one year anyway, and if we did it would be for a hell of a lot of money. I think this trade makes a lot of sense and people need to calm down. I have a feeling Dombrowski has one more trade coming, though.

We need bullpen help. We traded an aging catcher whose contract is up after this year for a decent bullpen arm who will probably be gone after this year. It is a short term fix for both teams and, at this point, the Tigers could use a bullpen arm much more than Pudge.

Honestly, what else don't you get?

You really think Farnsworth is better than any of the guys in the bullpen right now?

Seriously?

Even if he WAS better than 2-3 of them, DD should have DEFINITELY gotten more than just KF.

That's what most people are upset about...

Once again, alot of you are putting way to much value on your favorite teams players...

This move is pretty standard. Pudge is a free agent in a couple months and your bullpen is brutal (alot worse than your catching).

On the contrary, I think people are undervaluing Pudge because they see him make outs all the time, rather than thinking who the replacement will be. Sardinha? Inge as a catcher? Or thinking of how well the other catchers in the league are hitting.

Now, having Inge play catcher is fine defensively, but he goes into little offensive funks when he has to play behind the plate for extended periods of time.

I'll definitely be watching Tigers Live tonight at 6:30 PM, hopefully John Keating will have some info, though I doubt it (I'm not his biggest fan).