Yoda

Pudge traded

Do you honestly believe that there was no other offer to trade Pudge? I doubt every other team was saying "oh **** there's no way we can match Kyle Farnsworth!" Not to mention the fact that there's a full day left to listen to offers, would the Yankees have rescinded the offer? They were in desperate need for a catcher and Pudge seems to make the most sense given he's playing good baseball, has a veteran presence and post season experience, and his contract is up at the end of the year. I'm not as down on Farnsworth as I am upset we couldn't nab something better with Pudge than a dude that's just as much of a rental as Pudge is. If nothing came to fruition by tomorrow and all DD could land was Farnsworth then by all means do it.

Maybe the Yankees were the only team that Pudge would waive his NTC for..

You can't just assume this is an error by DD.

Pudge has been playing over his head. Selling high from a position of strength to patch up a weakness.

I'm not shocked that Pudge was traded, but when you sell from a position of strength aren't you supposed to get better? This may be a wash on the field, but I think it hurts in the clubhouse - & it will definitely hurt in fandom. I'm disappointed, but right now we don't know if there were any other deals possible for him. Yeah, there was the rumored Marlins deal but we don't know what they were offering.

I was just commenting the other day how Tigers fans went crazy with anger when the Tigers dealth Farnsworth in 2005.... then I said but Farnsworth has been absolutley horrible...I would rather have Jones than Farnsworth..

then look at this.... UGH!!!!

We got a lousy closer who blows saves all the time and gave up the best catcher in the game. You may think Inge isn't that big a dropoff but you won't say that when the Tigers start to lose games because of an inexperienced catcher. Well I guess Inge is a pretty good backup catcher but Farnsworth???? No way.....maybe the Tigers are smarter than me...maybe they are looking at a Rodney-Zumaya-Farnsworth 7th, 8th, 9th inning situation with the triple closer...starter goes 6 and Tigers trio shuts you down kind of like the Twins did...

but losing Pudge will hurt at least the rest of this year.

best .......catcher...in...the game??

not worth reading any farther than that. Unless we are reverting back to 1999.

Do you honestly believe that there was no other offer to trade Pudge? I doubt every other team was saying "oh **** there's no way we can match Kyle Farnsworth!" Not to mention the fact that there's a full day left to listen to offers, would the Yankees have rescinded the offer? They were in desperate need for a catcher and Pudge seems to make the most sense given he's playing good baseball, has a veteran presence and post season experience, and his contract is up at the end of the year. I'm not as down on Farnsworth as I am upset we couldn't nab something better with Pudge than a dude that's just as much of a rental as Pudge is. If nothing came to fruition by tomorrow and all DD could land was Farnsworth then by all means do it.

I think you're overrating Pudge. Apparently nobody else wanted him as bad as Tiger fans do. If word got out that Pudge wanted out that that will also lower his value.

Makes you wonder what Florida was offering us for Pudge, must have been some used balls and bats for this deal to look more attractive.

I think Pudge had a no-trade-clause though (I have no idea how extensive the list is). It wasn't up to DD as to who he could trade him to.

What do you want. The Yanks gave up their set up a guy with a 3.65era for a 36 year old catcher with about 3hr and 40 rbi's. When does a team in the pennant race give up their set up guy for a 36 year old catcher? Try never. Good deal DD.

He's an average releiver......waaaay better than Dolsi.

Pitcher A: 3.65 ERA; 1.35 WHIP; 44 IP; 43 Ks

Pitcher B: 3.50 ERA; 1.38 WHIP; 46 IP; 41 Ks

Which one is Farnsworth and which one is Jason Grilli?

We got a lousy closer who blows saves all the time and gave up the best catcher in the game.

We gave up the best catcher in the game? This is news to me, he isn't even the best in our Division.

To look at it another way, for as well as Pudge is doing, all DD could get for him was Kyle ****ing Farnsworth? Shows you what kind of value he has.

Unless you think that DD actually WANTED Farnsworth and values him highly. Considering he traded for him before, I'm inclined to believe that he values him. If I find out the Tigers were offered a good prospect for him and turned it down to take Kyle ****ing Farnsworth, I'm going to be pissed.

I thought this too... I'm worried, all of a sudden, about DD's "power arm" fetish. I'm getting madder just thinking about it.

I don't get people saying Farnsworth sucks. This year, in 44.3 innings pitched, he's struck out 43, while walking only 17. His WHIP is 1.353.

Where does the suck part come in?

How much money does it save? $3M tops! That's a horrible argument.

No, it's not. With the team's struggles, they were likely on the verge of losing money, especially since they were expecting a playoff run. It makes sense to cut as much salary as possible at this point.

I think this is a decent trade. Lord knows we needed help in the bullpen, whether or not Farnsy was the right guy, we'll see. However, I wish we would've got a prospect out of this.

I think you're overrating Pudge. Apparently nobody else wanted him as bad as Tiger fans do. If word got out that Pudge wanted out that that will also lower his value.

This may well be true, and I'm certainly not GM material. I am not so sure that Pudge wanting out lowers his value. I would imagine Pudge wanting out consists of him telling Leyland and DD in a closed door meeting, not him calling other teams and letting them know he wants out.

However, I think lesgoblu made a great point that I failed to take into my argument. Pudge had a no trade clause so this could have been the best deal we could have gotten that Pudge would allow.

Edit: I should reiterate the point that I don't think Farnsworth is a bad player, I believe he will help and I liked him when he was in Detroit a few years back. If he ends up being type A free agent then it's a wash with a couple million saved.

I don't get people saying Farnsworth sucks. This year, in 44.3 innings pitched, he's struck out 43, while walking only 17. His WHIP is 1.353.

Where does the suck part come in?

not saying he sucks, but he has given up 11 homeruns in those 4 innings

For people that really hate this trade let me ask you this:

When Pudge has come up the last two years with runners on and one out how confident have you been he will come through? My answer is about 5 percent of the time. I have no confidence in him at all. Why is Inge worse?

Pudge has been playing over his head. Selling high from a position of strength to patch up a weakness.

Ummm, and Farnsworth isn't playing over his head?

And let's not forget, the Yankees couldn't give Farnsy away last season at the deadline. He was the last guy out of the pen. He whined and was a clubhouse malcontent, according to the stories I read.

Exactly! So many teams need catching help... Surely the Marlins woulda given more!

Is this guaranteed?

We don't really know what the demand for Pudge's services was... and whether DD wasn't really getting any good offers, or that he decided an average major league bullpen arm was better than average-to-less-than prospect offerings.

Plus, we'll get draft picks from Farnsworth if DD is willing to offer arbitration and Farnsy signs elsewhere.

I'm afraid that Pudge will be rejuvinated in NY and make it look like a bad deal for Detroit. However, if he stayed here, I sense he might have been a growing malcontent. He was no angel in his last days in Texas.

As far as our CA situation, I wish they could stick Guillen behind the plate and let Inge do his business at 3B. How much worse could Carlos' knees get? He could just stand up the whole time and invent an entirely new form of catching.

Farnsworth is a good pitcher and had his best year in Detroit. He's a welcome addition in a fragile bullpen.

I think Pudge had a no-trade-clause though (I have no idea how extensive the list is). It wasn't up to DD as to who he could trade him to.
Maybe the Yankees were the only team that Pudge would waive his NTC for..

You can't just assume this is an error by DD.

Yes both of you are correct and I failed to take that into account in my original argument.

For people that really hate this trade let me ask you this:

When Pudge has come up the last two years with runners on and one out how confident have you been he will come through? My answer is about 5 percent of the time. I have no confidence in him at all. Why is Inge worse?

Inge is hitting .220 and Pudge is hitting .300

Brandon Inge as our only catcher seems like a gaping hole to me.

I'm not opposed to trading Pudge, and I think Farnsworth can help the Tigers' bullpen, but one-for-one this does not seem like a fair trade. Pudge has been pretty good since he stopped playing everyday.

So apparently there is going to be a pitcher (Dolsi) sent down and a backup catcher being brought up.

Inge starting at C every day - not a good feeling.