lordstanley

Classic Wings Games

hahah. "Schamehorn" ...Now thats funny! I wouldn't want that name on my jersey either. The only thing about that makes it somewhat palatable is the c between the S and h .... Wonder how he even made to the NHL level with that name!? Was he related in any way to Foghorn Leghorn? Remember him from the old Bugs Bunny stuff? Great cartoons back then!

Holy cow, a true rarity just aired on ESPN Classic Canada. A color telecast from the Olympia. Wings' 1979-80 season opener, lost to Philly 7-3. Some notes:

- Wings' final home opener at the Olympia

- Organ music only, no ads on boards

- 90% of game shot from one camera angle; only showed the first few rows of the crowd

- A WXON TV 20 broadcast. Surprising, as I thought they only did road games in the '70s, before ON TV came on the scene sometime around 1980 and starting carrying some home games. And while my memory had Bruce Martyn always calling those games as simulcast with the radio, the play-by-play announcer for this game was Larry someone. Didn't recognize his voice offhand. Could it have been Larry Osterman doing double duty?

- Color commentator was a timid-sounding Mickey Redmond. Did show some flashes of the Mickey spark we would come to know and love when a fight broke out. Could have been his first broadcast ever? He was on HNIC within a few years.

- Larry & Mickey were pumping up the viewing audience periodically about the Wings' pending move to the brand new Joe Louis Arena, which would happen a few months later

- The immortal Dan Bolduc was wearing #19 for the Wings

- Bobby Kromm coaching the Wings, a very young looking Pat Quinn behind the Flyers' bench

- The Flyers were 3 games into a record 35-game unbeaten streak

- Other Wings playing in this game included Vaclav Nedomansky, Willie Huber, Pete Mahovolich, Jim Rutherford in net, Dale McCourt, Reed Larson Errol Thompson, Mike Foligno, Paul Woods

Sounds like all us US residents need to buy you a DVD recorder so you can record the games and send them to us. I would kill to have some games from the 70's, regardless of the quality of the team. That was my era as a kid, but I was too young to remember much detail from the Olympia having gone to only two games before they moved to JLA. My first game was in 1977 as a five year old against Vancouver and I saw one other game against Minnesota.

I hated Errol Thompson with as much passion as a seven year old could. My favorite Wing was Dan Maloney who they traded for Thompson. I still remeber, vividly, the day I read about the trade in the paper. I stood looking at the newspaper and just cried. My mom let me stay home from school that day.

Was the broadcaster of the Olympia opener Larry Osterman? He used to do Tiger games on PASS.

I guarantee that this clip is something that you've never heard before no matter how long you've been a Wings fan. The Wings winning the Stanley Cup ... in Portugese. Highlights of Game 4 vs the Caps in 1998. GOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are showing the Wings vs Capitals at the Joe from December of 1996 right now on the NHL network. Game where Sergei puts in 5 goals! Scotty Bowman just looks stunned on the bench after the goal. Konstantinov with 4 assists in the game to boot.

Edited by Detroit Rock City

Randy McKay was a tough hockey player...loved seeing him fight guys who didn't know he was a southpaw. They'd tie up his right hand and eat about a dozen lefts...we should have passed on Crowder and just kept Randy.

Just watched Game 3 of the 97 finals. It was the Espn broadcast, but all I could hear was this...

oHHH Konstantinov!

clbyBCA4Tbs

Game 6 of the 2009 SCF is on NHL Network Canada right now. Holy crap, one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Zetterberg 4 minutes into the game gets drilled into the net on his follow through by a Pens player yet still picks up a penalty for goalie interference. Even on replay 16 months later, I felt like throwing something at the TV. For some reason, I had forgotten about that play. Games 6 and 7 are mostly buried in my hall of repressed memories.

Edited by lordstanley

Just watched Game 3 of the 97 finals. It was the Espn broadcast, but all I could hear was this...

oHHH Konstantinov!

clbyBCA4Tbs

The only thing that will ever top that will be if the Lions ever win the Super Bowl. I spent my entire childhood seeing them lose again and again and again and again, to finally see them win a championship (when they weren't supposed to) was the greatest sporting moment in my whole life.

Between that and the Wolverines winning the national championship, 1997 was one of my favorite years...

Between that and the Wolverines winning the national championship, 1997 was one of my favorite years...

+1,000,000.

And Barry rushed for 2,000 yards in 1997.

And I was at the game he broke 2,000. An upset of Bill Parcells' Jets. It was quite a year indeed.

Bump for azurri. Check out posts #19 and #20 of this thread. I wish I had DVD'ed them when they were on ESPN Classic Canada. I'll keep an eye out for them again this summer.

Bump for azurri. Check out posts #19 and #20 of this thread. I wish I had DVD'ed them when they were on ESPN Classic Canada. I'll keep an eye out for them again this summer.

Awesome, thanks!

Here's quite a YouTube find. The first 30 minutes of the Channel 20 broadcast of Game 4 of the 1978 quarter-finals, Montreal at Detroit. The Wings went into this game trailing the best-of-7 series 2 games to 1. A week earlier the Wings had knocked off Atlanta in a best-of-3 opening round. This was the last playoff game ever at the Olympia. Bruce Martyn and Sid Abel at the mic, already complaining a bit about too many octopi. Fat Bob Taylor sings the national anthem. Original broadcast with commercials. Video quality only so-so, audio quality very clear.

Edited by lordstanley

Here's quite a YouTube find. The first 30 minutes of the Channel 20 broadcast of Game 4 of the 1978 quarter-finals, Montreal at Detroit. The Wings went into this game trailing the best-of-7 series 2 games to 1. A week earlier the Wings had knocked off Atlanta in a best-of-3 opening round. This was the last playoff game ever at the Olympia. Bruce Martyn and Sid Abel at the mic, already complaining a bit about too many octopi. Fat Bob Taylor sings the national anthem. Original broadcast with commercials. Video quality only so-so, audio quality very clear.

Awesome find, man! For some reason it's really tough to find clips of Bruce Martyn, so I always enjoy them whenever I can find them! Sid Abel was a bit before my time, but I grew up listening to Bruce Martyn and Paul Woods on WJR.

One thing I wish I could find is audio clips from old Windsor Spitfire games back in the day when Steve Bell was their play by play guy. Back in those days, not too many Spits games were on TV, so I spent a lot of time listening to Beller on AM580, and of course Bruce and Paul on AM760 for the Wings.

One thing I wish I could find is audio clips from old Windsor Spitfire games back in the day when Steve Bell was their play by play guy. Back in those days, not too many Spits games were on TV, so I spent a lot of time listening to Beller on AM580, and of course Bruce and Paul on AM760 for the Wings.

The PBP man when I was into the Spits was Bell's predecessor Dave Quinn. A bit high-strung, he seemed like he was about to (verbally) go off on the refs or the opposing coach at any time, but his passion made the broadcasts interesting. A big Friday night when I was 12 or 13 often involved me walking to the store for a jumbo pack of licorice and then coming back to listen to the Spitfires game on the radio while munching on the licorice and poring over the latest Sports Illustrated.

I wish I could find old telecasts of the round-headed sports anchor on CBC Windsor in the late '80s who used to throw out one-liners in the most deadpan way possible.

Here's an interesting look at the 1954 Stanley Cup Final in which the Wings beat the Habs on Tony Leswick's goal in OT of Game 7 at The Olympia. Interesting because rather than being long-forgotten as unfortunately it now mostly is, at the time of this episode of The Way It Was hosted by Curt Gowdy in 1978, the series was only 24 years in the past (for context, that would be like a retrospective today on the Oilers-Kings trade involving Gretzky). So in addition to highlights from Game 1 and Leswick's winner, key people from that series (Leswick, Lindsay and Red Kelly from the Wings; Jacques Plante and Boom Boom Geoffrion from the Habs; and broadcaster Budd Lynch) were on the in-studio panel. You have to laugh at the conflicting perspectives from the panel, near the end of the clip, as to whether the Habs shook hands with the Wings after the winning goal was scored.

Geez, if anybody could find Bill Lochead scoring the two goals against the Atlanta Flames in the playoffs, that would be cool to see. I know the defenseman from the Flames he scored it on. I'd like to show him that.........

Geez, if anybody could find Bill Lochead scoring the two goals against the Atlanta Flames in the playoffs, that would be cool to see. I know the defenseman from the Flames he scored it on. I'd like to show him that.........

For years I've considered Goslin's hit to win the '35 Series and Lochead's deke goal to oust Atlanta with a minute to go as the two components of the Holy Grail of lost Detroit highlights. I've since found and posted Goslin's hit. Still searching for Lochead's goal. Someone must have it, it was on Channel 20. I'd even settle for Bruce Martyn's memorable call of it - the audio of the Nedomansky goal on YouTube is from that same game.

Here's a recent interview with Bill Lochead. No longer lives in the Sarnia area.

Alumni Reunion: Bill Lochead - Detroit Red Wings - Fan Zone

This news clipping from the time identifies the Flames defensemen on the play as Richard Mulhern and Pat Ribble. The story also describes how the record large Olympia crowd "littered the ice with 13 octopus and 2 chickens over the course of the game".

Wings Outlast Flames

A couple of interesting tidbits about Tony Leswick:

- he was only 5'6''

- he was Lenny Dykstra's uncle

Edited by lordstanley

For years I've considered Goslin's hit to win the '35 Series and Lochead's deke goal to oust Atlanta with a minute to go as the two components of the Holy Grail of lost Detroit highlights. I've since found and posted Goslin's hit. Still searching for Lochead's goal. Someone must have it, it was on Channel 20. I'd even settle for Bruce Martyn's memorable call of it - the audio of the Nedomansky goal on YouTube is from that same game.

Here's a recent interview with Bill Lochead. No longer lives in the Sarnia area.

Alumni Reunion: Bill Lochead - Detroit Red Wings - Fan Zone

This news clipping from the time identifies the Flames defensemen on the play as Richard Mulhern and Pat Ribble. The story also describes how the record large Olympia crowd "littered the ice with 13 octopus and 2 chickens over the course of the game".

Wings Outlast Flames

A couple of interesting tidbits about Tony Leswick:

- he was only 5'6''

- he was Lenny Dykstra's uncle

The defenseman from the Flames I know is David Shand and he did cough up the puck that led to one of those two goals.

Still no sign of the coveted Lochead goal, but here is vid and Bruce's call of the Nedomansky goal from earlier in that game. With Paul Woods being the first player to reach Big Ned to congratulate him.