lordstanley

Classic Wings Games

Lots of vintage Wings games on TV summer up here thanks to the NHL Network and ESPN Classic Canada. I may be one of the few on this board who has access to these games (NHL Network Canada slightly different than NHL Network U.S. but much overlap, ESPN Classic Canada completely different than in the States as even shows old curling tournaments, lolol). But thought I'd comment on some of the old Wings games I get to see, maybe some of you remember them. First, as already posted to the Winter Classic thread:

The NHL Network showed a Wings-Hawks playoff game at The Olympia from 1965. B&W, but good quality for its era. Norm Ullman scored the natural hat trick with 3 straight goals in the 3rd period, including two 5 seconds apart. Horns after the goal, but no Gary Glitter, lol. Sure sounded like Budd Lynch as the P.A. announcer, but must not have been cuz Lynch was still doing PBP then I believe. With the Wings nursing a 3-2 lead with under 5 minutes to go in regulation, Lindsay and Howe both took penalties to leave the Wings shorthanded - those boneheads! But the Wings held on. HNIC interview of Ullman after the game by I believe a youngish Bob Goldham, who in his playing days had won 4 Cups with the Wings.

Watched Game 5 of Wings-Leafs from 1993 the other night. It was actually a great game in a classic series, even though the Wings lost both the game and the series. Wings had thumped the Leafs in the first two games at The Joe, the Leafs won squeakers back at MLG. In Game 5, Wings jumped out to a 4-1 second period lead but blew it with the tying goal scored off of defenseman Racine's head midway in the 3rd. Todd Gill put into the Wings net past Cheveldae what would have been the winning goal just a split second after the buzzer sounded to end regulation.

Foligno scored the 5-4 winner earlier in OT for the Leafs on a terrible giveaway by Probert.

The Leafs of course went on to win the series in OT of Game 7 on Borschevsky's goal, after tying it late in regulation - amazing how the paths of the two franchises have diverged since then!

I still look back fondly at the early '90s teams. Some playoff disappointments, but quite talented and the fans were really into it back then, The Joe was always so loud. Fedorov, Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Burr, Cicarelli, Yseabart, Probert, Primeau. And it was a contrast to see how the CBC announcers didn't yet treat Yzerman with reverence back then, he was just another player, albeit a well above-average one.

Edited by lordstanley

Lordstanley:

You're very fortunate to get this great hockey coverage in your area. I haven't seen anything like it here. Of course I only have the standard cable package, so I'm not paying for any extras.:cry:

Lordstanley:

You're very fortunate to get this great hockey coverage in your area. I haven't seen anything like it here. Of course I only have the standard cable package, so I'm not paying for any extras.:cry:

Who are you kidding? Forget the hockey.....I wanna see those classic curling tournaments :cheeky:

Oooh I love the Curling too ... but ONLY the Ladies ..... extra special

on the other hand, anyone who doesn't like the classic, vintage hockey games .... well they just aren't REAL hockey fans ...

Sorry dudes ... you either have it or you don't ....

In my area, without the classic hockey ... I'll take Ladies curling any day ...:grin:

Oooh I love the Curling too ... but ONLY the Ladies ..... extra special

Hurry, hurry hard!

The Detroit-St.Louis 1st round series in the 1990-1991 playoffs is featured for an hour on the NHL Network (Canada) tonight. This was the Wings' most recent sub-.500 team, finishing the regular season 34W-38L-8T. I consider the current 16-season run of the Wings to have started the next year, despite a 2nd round knockout, as they finished 1st in their division and achieved 98 points in 1991-1992. In the 1991 series with the Blues, Tim Cheveldae and the Wings blew a 3-1 series lead and lost Game 7 by a goal. Yzerman put the "tying goal" in the net with 40 seconds to go in the 3rd but the play had already been whistled dead.

You can watch all of Game 7 - streamed in 10 parts - here.

Edited by lordstanley

I went to a great game that was front row behind the net that Yzerman scored a game winner with less than 1 second on the clock if you guys remember that one. It was 3 seasons ago and one heck of a memory!

So I watched that segment on the Detroit-St.Louis '91 playoff series. Quite interesting series actually. Blues had finished 29 points ahead of the Wings. Still only 21 teams in the NHL then, so making the 16-team playoffs wasn't difficult. Brett Hull scored 86 goals, and if I heard correctly Yzerman was second in goals that year with 51, a full 35 behind Hull. Lots of names from the past on that Wings team like Rick Zombo, Yves Racine, Bobby Dollas, and some guy named Randy McKay who I honestly don't remember but who add 20 fights that year plus one in the series. Fedorov's rookie year, and looked good at least in the highlights. Primeau was playing at the age of only 19. Yzerman scored a hat trick in Game 1.

I was overseas much of the early '90s so this era is a bit of a black hole for me as far as my Red Wings memory, so I always was uncertain whether Tim Cheveldae deserved to be the punchline he became or whether he had received a bad rap. Well, series highlights like this can be misleading because they don't show many of the saves he did make, but he seemed dreadful in this his first ever playoff series. He was painfully slow, was very vulnerable in the 5-hole, was frequently out of position and had a weak glove hand. Other than that I guess he was OK :cheeky: Especially in Game 2 in St.Louis, with the Wings leading the series 1-0 and taking a 2-0 lead into the 3rd period, he let in 3 of the softest goals in a row you'll ever see and the Wings lost. The Wings jumped out to a 3-1 series lead but were outscored by a total of 9-1 in Games 5 and 6 and trailed most of the way in a 3-2 Game 7 loss. I don't know, seeing Murray behind the bench seems to be a symbol of the Wings' mediocrity at that time.

So I watched that segment on the Detroit-St.Louis '91 playoff series. Quite interesting series actually. Blues had finished 29 points ahead of the Wings. Still only 21 teams in the NHL then, so making the 16-team playoffs wasn't difficult. Brett Hull scored 86 goals, and if I heard correctly Yzerman was second in goals that year with 51, a full 35 behind Hull. Lots of names from the past on that Wings team like Rick Zombo, Yves Racine, Bobby Dollas, and some guy named Randy McKay who I honestly don't remember but who add 20 fights that year plus one in the series. Fedorov's rookie year, and looked good at least in the highlights. Primeau was playing at the age of only 19. Yzerman scored a hat trick in Game 1.

I was overseas much of the early '90s so this era is a bit of a black hole for me as far as my Red Wings memory, so I always was uncertain whether Tim Cheveldae deserved to be the punchline he became or whether he had received a bad rap. Well, series highlights like this can be misleading because they don't show many of the saves he did make, but he seemed dreadful in this his first ever playoff series. He was painfully slow, was very vulnerable in the 5-hole, was frequently out of position and had a weak glove hand. Other than that I guess he was OK :cheeky: Especially in Game 2 in St.Louis, with the Wings leading the series 1-0 and taking a 2-0 lead into the 3rd period, he let in 3 of the softest goals in a row you'll ever see and the Wings lost. The Wings jumped out to a 3-1 series lead but were outscored by a total of 9-1 in Games 5 and 6 and trailed most of the way in a 3-2 Game 7 loss. I don't know, seeing Murray behind the bench seems to be a symbol of the Wings' mediocrity at that time.

Ohhh you bstrd ....hahah .... Lord Stanley are you rubbing the fact that you have the classics during these long, dog days of summer, whilst the rest of us have to settle for curling (even if its the ladies) and Beijing brand Olympics??? You must know this is a very hard pill to swallow for those of us out here who are starving for some ice hockey.:grin::happy:

Ohhh you bstrd ....hahah .... Lord Stanley are you rubbing the fact that you have the classics during these long, dog days of summer, whilst the rest of us have to settle for curling (even if its the ladies) and Beijing brand Olympics??? You must know this is a very hard pill to swallow for those of us out here who are starving for some ice hockey.:grin::happy:

Skyguy, you just need to show some grit and go digging for some hockey content in these dog days :cool:. Hell, I was in South Africa a few weeks ago and that didn't stop me from finding an ice rink in a Johannesburg shopping mail and whipping around in my Wings Stanley Cup t-shirt (in blue rental skates, lol). Anyways, only a month before I get to go to the Joe for exhibition games versus the Habs and the Bruins on a trip back home the last week of September.

How can you not remember Randy McKay? Tough, tough player. We lost him as compensation that year we picked up Troy Crowder to ride shotgun for Probie. Crowder played in a handful of games before his back gave out. McKay went on to win 2-3 cups with New Jersey, being a big part checking and fighting for the Devils. Randy was one of my favorites during his short Red Wing stint, and remained a favorite as he took his game to New Jersey. Randy also attended Michigan Tech University.

BTW, I have all those STL games from the 90-91 series on DVD; game 5 featured a fight filled affair. I also just copied over, from my own collection VHS to DVD, the Norris Division Finals series from the 1987-88 season, Detroit beat out the Blues 4 games to 1, only to lose to the Edmonton Oilers in the Campbell Conference Finals that year. Some intense hockey back then, much like that 90-91 series vs. St Louis. At one point, during the end of game 2, Adam Oates throws a hit on Rick Meagher, only to have Todd Ewen come in and grab Oates. Everyone pairs up, and as they cut to the bench Jacques Demers loses it, and the benches start yapping. As I said, great intense game.

Thanks for the write ups! I thought i was the only one who lies around during the summer watching old hockey games. :)

How can you not remember Randy McKay? Tough, tough player. We lost him as compensation that year we picked up Troy Crowder to ride shotgun for Probie. Crowder played in a handful of games before his back gave out. McKay went on to win 2-3 cups with New Jersey, being a big part checking and fighting for the Devils. Randy was one of my favorites during his short Red Wing stint, and remained a favorite as he took his game to New Jersey. Randy also attended Michigan Tech University.

BTW, I have all those STL games from the 90-91 series on DVD; game 5 featured a fight filled affair.

Oh, THAT Randy McKay, lol. That's hilarious, I didn't make the connection between the McKay I saw in the '91 highlights hour and the Randy McKay of the Devils who of course I recall. I honestly didn't remember his stint with the Wings, but like I said I was out of the country for a few years early in the '90s pre-Internet.

Yeah, as you mentioned St.Louis and Detroit had great battles, for about 15 years from the mid-80s to late '90s. I remember attending a Blues-Wings playoff game at the Joe in '84, the first time the Wings had made the playoffs since '78. Game 3 of a best-of-five 1st round series tied at a game apiece was on a Saturday night, the same date as Morris' no-hitter. Wings lost in OT, but the crowd was LOUD. I'll never forget a big burly guy - boisterous but not drunk - who ran down the aisle with 4 minutes to go in regulation in the tied game and deliberately banged his head vigorously into the Plexiglass around a half-dozen times, haha.

It's been practically a Red Wings marathon on the NHL network since Thursday morning through at least tomorrow. Showing most games of this year's Dallas-Detroit semi-final and most games of last year's Anaheim-Detroit semi-final. Also had a half-hour feature on the Wings-Hawks quarter-final of 1992 in which the division-winning Wings were swept. Look at youngsters Fedorov, Lidstrom, Hasek and Chelios (relatively speaking).

In the previous round, the Wings came back from 3-1 down in games to win a Game 7:

I think the San Jose and Anaheim series last year were great growing events for the Wings and set the table for this year's Cup. Proved they weren't soft. Even though they were a #1 seed, arguably the Wings overachieved by forcing to six games the Ducks who would go on to sweep the Finals. Through 3 games of the Ducks series, Hasek seemed to be a leading, early contender for the Conn Smythe, he was great, especially in the flurry that was the final 10 minutes of Game 1, as the Wings held on to win by a goal playing the final 15 seconds 4 on 6. Things looked so great after the 5-0 win in Game 3. But then a key moment early in Game 4, not quite as big as the last minute goal in the OT loss of Game 5, but close - Thug Bertuzzi, my least favorite Wing since Dan Maloney, threw a puck from his own corner into the middle of blue line and the Ducks quickly slapped it home to jump out to the early 1-0 lead. Imagine if the Wings had scored first on the heels of that 5-0 blowout, the Ducks might never have recovered. Watching the end of Game 1 also reminded me what a liability Lang could be, despite his last-gasp goal that flipped the San Jose series upside down - a few horrible giveaways and a lazy penalty late in Game 1 vs Anaheim that luckily didn't come back to haunt the Wings.

Edited by lordstanley

The NHL Network has a 1-hour special on the Wings-Hawks western conference final in '95 at 9pm ET tonight. Canada for sure, not sure about the U.S. I LOVED this series. Vernon almost letting in a 150-footer to tie Game 1 in the dying seconds, Yzerman cheering hard from the press box in Chicago, Kozlov's 2OT winner to send the Wings to their first Final in 29 years. This is a rivalry I wouldn't mind seeing revived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYDuael-vVc

Edited by lordstanley

Rare showing of a regular season Wings game on NHL Classic on the NHL Network. From December 1996 versus Washington. Interesting to see the Wings several months before they broke the drought, in the midst of what was for them a so-so regular season. Remember the significance of this game? Hint: Sergei was the star

Update: Added video, albeit terrible-quality, of Sergei's 5 goals: Dave Strader and Mickey Redmond sound good at the mic though.

Edited by lordstanley

Rare showing of a regular season Wings game on NHL Classic on the NHL Network. From December 1996 versus Washington. Interesting to see the Wings several months before they broke the drought, in the midst of what was for them a so-so regular season. Remember the significance of this game? Hint: Sergei was the star

Sergei beat the Caps 5-4. (didn't even need the hint :) )

Holy cow, a true rarity just aired on ESPN Classic Canada. A color telecast from the Olympia. Wings' 1979-80 home opener, lost to Philly 7-3. Some notes:

- Wings' final home opener at the Olympia

- Organ music only, no ads on boards

- 90% of game shot from one camera angle; only showed the first few rows of the crowd

- A WXON TV 20 broadcast. Surprising, as I thought they only did road games in the '70s, before ON TV came on the scene sometime around 1980 and starting carrying some home games. And while my memory had Bruce Martyn always calling those games as simulcast with the radio, the play-by-play announcer for this game was Larry someone. Didn't recognize his voice offhand. Could it have been Larry Osterman doing double duty?

- Color commentator was a timid-sounding Mickey Redmond. Did show some flashes of the Mickey spark we would come to know and love when a fight broke out. Could have been his first broadcast ever? He was on HNIC within a few years.

- Larry & Mickey were pumping up the viewing audience periodically about the Wings' pending move to the brand new Joe Louis Arena, which would happen a few months later

- The immortal Dan Bolduc was wearing #19 for the Wings

- Bobby Kromm coaching the Wings, a very young looking Pat Quinn behind the Flyers' bench

- The Flyers were 3 games into a record 35-game unbeaten streak

- Other Wings playing in this game included Vaclav Nedomansky, Willie Huber, Pete Mahovolich, Jim Rutherford in net, Dale McCourt, Reed Larson Errol Thompson, Mike Foligno, Paul Woods

Can't find that online, but available from that week is the 1st intermission of a Wings broadcast from LA, including a lengthy interview of GM Ted Lindsay by Sid Abel shortly after the 10 minutes mark.

Edited by lordstanley

Wow, a real gem on ESPN Classic Canada tonight. A Red Wings TV broadcast from October 1979. Bruce Martyn & Sid Abel at the mic. Different from the game noted above, as tonight's showing was of a road game. The Flyers were just starting their record 35-game unbeaten streak. So lots more footage in their red jerseys of McCourt, Huber, Nedomansky and the like.

Spoiler Alert (ha!): Flyers win 5-4 on goal with a minute to go.

Maybe this will make it to the NHL Network some day for U.S. viewers?

You like to drive it home don't you Mr. Stanley .. lol. (this is thread from a long time ago hey!)

Recalling monsieur Don de Cerisier comments after the USA Junior victory over Team Canada last week. Why does that guy have to sound sooo Canadian?

:happy:

(just kidding L.S. I'm with you)

The great thing about these old games, Skyguy, is that you can watch them and them instantly look up facts about them during or after. For example, there was a guy playing for the Wings against the Flyers in the 1979 game who wore 25 and I laughed because he was the only guy on the ice without a name on his sweater. Hardly a ringing vote of confidence! It wasn't Ogrodnick. I quickly learned from Bruce & Sid that it was some guy named Kevin Schamehorn. Name didn't ring a bell at all. But he actually showed lots of jump in spurts in the 1st period of the game. So I wonder how he turned out. Thanks to the Internet, I learned he played only one other game with the Wings that year. His career NHL totals: 10 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 pts, 17 PIM.

The great thing about these old games, Skyguy, is that you can watch them and them instantly look up facts about them during or after. For example, there was a guy playing for the Wings against the Flyers in the 1979 game who wore 25 and I laughed because he was the only guy on the ice without a name on his sweater. Hardly a ringing vote of confidence! It wasn't Ogrodnick. I quickly learned from Bruce & Sid that it was some guy named Kevin Schamehorn. Name didn't ring a bell at all. But he actually showed lots of jump in spurts in the 1st period of the game. So I wonder how he turned out. Thanks to the Internet, I learned he played only one other game with the Wings that year. His career NHL totals: 10 games, 0 goals, 0 assists, 0 pts, 17 PIM.

I agree. And L.S. I hope you took no offense to my comments, especially the one on "Monsieur" Don Cherry ...I was only kidding, really I was. I like him really, and his commentary sometimes makes him easy to hate.

I guess its just part of who he is ... The one I made in response to you guys getting so many choices for Hockey was not intended to offend either. Hope you knew what I meant. Anyway ... CHEERS!:happy:

By the way, did you see the USA - Canada world juniors game? I saw the ending only on satellite feed. Nationalism or not, it was a great game and even better finish. Bout time we beat you guys!