The Captain

The Season that Marcus Thames is Really Having

I watch Thames play in the games, I look at his stats online, and I just sit down and wonder.

Why in the world is he not playing every day?

I just don't understand it. His bat has been the best on the team this whole season, yet he's nothing more than a platoon player in left field.

His numbers are off the charts.

196 at-bats

.270 BA

.333 OBP

.607 SLG%

19 HR

10.3 AB/HR

7.0 RC/G

-7th in the AL in HR

-Would lead the league in SLG% (Not qualified as of yet)

-Would be 5th in the league in OPS (Not qualified as of yet)

He's just been flat out mashing this year. Give him as many at-bats as Josh Hamilton and he could be around 30-35 HR for the year.

The more Thames plays the more pitch recognition he gains and in my strong opinion he's easily a minimum of a .900 ops player. The Tigers haven't had a player reach 30 home runs since Copa opened and yet if Thames received only 500 at bats this year it's not out of the question to assume he'd in the very least be approaching 40 homeruns with an ops around .900. Yet the only reason Kmo played all those games was because of his power. Thames should've been playing regularly quite a while ago.

I think the problem with Thames is that when he goes cold, he can't do anything -- he doesn't walk at a particularly high rate, strikes out alot, isn't a particularly good defender, etc.

That being said, I agree that he should start for the remainder of the year and that he's probably a 40 HR guy with an 850-900ish OPS if given the chance.

It's just another head-scratching decision that Jim Leyland has made.

Play Thames everyday.

It's just another head-scratching decision that Jim Leyland has made.

Play Thames everyday.

Just wait until the next time Leyland has Thames bunt.

The more Thames plays the more pitch recognition he gains and in my strong opinion he's easily a minimum of a .900 ops player. The Tigers haven't had a player reach 30 home runs since Copa opened and yet if Thames received only 500 at bats this year it's not out of the question to assume he'd in the very least be approaching 40 homeruns with an ops around .900. Yet the only reason Kmo played all those games was because of his power. Thames should've been playing regularly quite a while ago.

Bobby Higginson hit 30 HRs.

I watch Thames play in the games, I look at his stats online, and I just sit down and wonder.

Why in the world is he not playing every day?

I just don't understand it. His bat has been the best on the team this whole season, yet he's nothing more than a platoon player in left field.

His numbers are off the charts.

196 at-bats

.270 BA

.333 OBP

.607 SLG%

19 HR

10.3 AB/HR

7.0 RC/G

-7th in the AL in HR

-Would lead the league in SLG% (Not qualified as of yet)

-Would be 5th in the league in OPS (Not qualified as of yet)

He's just been flat out mashing this year. Give him as many at-bats as Josh Hamilton and he could be around 30-35 HR for the year.

Thames has been very streaky in the past. While I agree he should at least get the chance to play more..playing him more could result in long streaks of hitlessness and homerlessness. With the mix of Thomas and Joyce, these streaks seem to be minimized.

I think it's time for Thames to prove his critics right or wrong. Even if he bats .220 with limited power against the pitchers that he's less-than-ideal against, it's not like he'd be hurting us any more than a Sheffield does. And with him he may actually produce and do better than the worst-case scenario.

Of course his PT seems to be up already.

Of course his PT seems to be up already.

This is getting lost. He isn't getting Magglio-like time, but he's getting more time than he was by a lot.

And someone else mentioned his shortcomings - not great at defense (not bad, but not great), strikes out a ton, and doesn't walk much, especially when he isn't hitting. Thames is good at hitting HRs but bad at getting on base. That might be part of the reason he isn't playing every single day, though he seems to be playing two out of three.

This is getting lost. He isn't getting Magglio-like time, but he's getting more time than he was by a lot.

It's getting missed by both sides...A lot of people hold to the argument that leyland has managed his play time perfectly since he got here, that given more at-bats, he will show his limitations. Yet, with more playing time, he is continuing to put up the same numbers he showed in his 'protected role'...I have always loved Thames, and even though he's playing above his head this season(he is having a hell of a season), he deserves a shot to shake the 'He only has the numbers he has, because he is being protected perfectly' arguments.

*Not arguing that finding him more playing time would be easy, just saying those behind the 'protected' argument should acknowledge that he is continuing to produce in increased playing time.

Thames has been very streaky in the past. While I agree he should at least get the chance to play more..playing him more could result in long streaks of hitlessness and homerlessness. With the mix of Thomas and Joyce, these streaks seem to be minimized.

IMO consistent playing time hasn't been there enough to know how streaky he'd be with regular playing time. He gets hot for a week or two and as soon as he goes cold for about a two or three game stretch Leyland puts him back on the bench, and inserts (pick your favorite underachieving lf option here) back into the lineup.

It even happened recently after Marcus' homerun homerun streak when he went cold for about a three or four game stretch. Only this time the playing time stayed somewhat consistent (although not enough for me) and he's continued to produce since. Even the walks per abs have increase with increased playing time. Besides who doesn't go through streaks outstide of the amazingly consistent Polanco, Maggs and Guillen?

IMO, if we traded Thames away for journeyman bullpen help which seemed like a possibly at one time and Thames put up 40+ homeruns playing every day for another team it probably wouldn't make the fanbase very happy. We have very good asset here for a number seven or eight hitter, let's use it ...

IMO, the only things stopping Thames from having a 50 hr season is playing everyday and Comerica park. If the Tigers were to trade him to a smaller-park team willing to start him in LF everyday, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him hit 50.

Carlos Pena was similar to Thames except that Pena actually could play good defense.

Thames is a poor mans Cecil Fielder...I think he should play more but at whose expense? Sheffield is coming around...and you cannot ask Joyce to sit based upon what he has done either. Shoot if you add Joyce and Thames HR numbers you have 28 homers.

I only hope that there is a team out there, looking to add some offense to their team, that is willing to part with something to acquire him.

I think Leyland is using the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. Marcus is playing very well, and exceeding expectations while being given limited playing time. Granted, as the season wears on and it appears we aren't going to be in the playoff hunt I would like to see Marcus as an every day (or at least more of an every day) player to see if he can keep his stats up.

I think Leyland is using the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" theory. Marcus is playing very well, and exceeding expectations while being given limited playing time. Granted, as the season wears on and it appears we aren't going to be in the playoff hunt I would like to see Marcus as an every day (or at least more of an every day) player to see if he can keep his stats up.

Good post. When Marcus started playing everyday he attacked the umpire. That was weird and out of character for Marcus.

Carlos Pena was similar to Thames except that Pena actually could play good defense.

Thames is a poor mans Cecil Fielder...I think he should play more but at whose expense? Sheffield is coming around...and you cannot ask Joyce to sit based upon what he has done either. Shoot if you add Joyce and Thames HR numbers you have 28 homers.

Pena's defense is highly overrated. Thames is average, Pena is below average to poor. But Pena walks more.

If a player is performing really well in limited playing time, make sure not to boost his playing time, or at least don't make a change until it won't make any difference. Very sensible.:confused:

When Marcus started playing everyday he attacked the umpire. That was weird and out of character for Marcus.

Just :confused:

One more thing. He's gotten better defensively from what I've seen.

I think he has always been underrated defensively. He looks awkward but makes plays.

Yes, particularly in the sense that both players have been underrated by coaches and fans. I don't think Pena was a very quality fielder.

I would play him over anyone else that has or would start at DH. Joyce can play LF every day and Sheffield can pick up the spare at-bats.

I prefer Joyce (vs. RHP) right now.

I don't think Joyce and Thames should be in competition for playing time. Remove Sheffield from the lineup, and it's Joyce and Thames at LF/DH, with Sheffield picking up the spares.