BaconDrips

Red Wings v Blackhawks OUTDOORS at Wrigley Jan 1 09

So you guys think they'll draw a 2.6 rating on February 10th with nothing else on?

I don't. They drew a high rating because people were home on Jan. 1. If there were no college football games that day then I suspect the ratings would have been lower.

I agree with you. I have no problem with the game being on January 1st. I will watch the game because of the history of those two teams. Plus January 1st is probably the best time for me to watch. I won't be watching the Gator Bowl or an irrelevant bowl game when the outdoor game is on.

I really think that sports fans are starved for anything meaningful going on in february. Even if they only got a 2.0, I think it is worth the added publicity and media coverage. I also think it would allow them to hype the All Star game to more people (which could be a week or so later). And with it being a month later in the season, maybe it is more fresh in casual fans' minds when the playoffs start 2 months later.

Regardless, they wouldn't get a 0.9.

The Cup Finals got great ratings, and it wasn't because people were stuck at home. I think the outdoor game has similar appeal to the casual fan.

But they'll never know unless they try.

I think the biggest issue with the league is exposure. It's no secret that ESPN (which is all that matters to the casual fan) doesn't cover the NHL nearly as much as when it had their contract. That is likely a huge reason that NHL ratings have plummeted. Not because they are on VS, but because people need to be reminded that it is still around. Compare the ratings of the NHL when it was on FOX or ABC to the current ratings obtained on NBC. The lockout made people forget about it. The lack of coverage is keeping it that way.

The finals got ratings because the NHL's super hype machine for Crosby, and arguably the leagues most popular team.

I

The entire month of February is a sports wasteland.

I have no problem getting through February with watching the Wings and Pistons..there is a game on just about every night..shoot, college is getting ready for March madness!

The finals got ratings because the NHL's super hype machine for Crosby, and arguably the leagues most popular team.

True. And they got a much higher rating than 2.7. You don't think the super hype machine will be in full effect for the outdoor game including the league's most popular team?

Either way, like I said before, the league should be worrying about more than mere ratings right now.

It's sad that Chicago gets to host this game, the more prominent franchise should be the host. Instead, Chicago gets to cash in on the Red Wings popularity.

I'm surprised that there isn't more anger along these lines. I happen to agree that this game should be in the Detroit area -- either Comerica Park or Michigan Stadium -- rather than Chicago.

It's probably in Chicago to help them reestablish their relationship with the blackhawk fans after the Bill Wirtz threw it in the toilet.

They need to wake up the Chicago fans more than they do the Wings fans. non sellouts notwithstanding.

I think they also know that Wings fans are more likely to travel to Chicago to see the game, then Blackhawks fans are going to travel to Detroit. I have no idea how they'll split up tickets for this game if they even will, but I expect the crowd to be mostly Wings fans, like the Tigers - Cubs series at Wrigley a few years back.

The NHL Network showed a Wings-Hawks playoff game at The Olympia from 1965 tonight. B&W, but good quality for its era. Norm Ullman scored the natural hat trick with 3 straight goals in the 3rd period, including two 5 seconds apart. Horns after the goal, but no Gary Glitter, lol. Sure sounded like Budd Lynch as the P.A. announcer, but must not have been cuz Lynch was still doing PBP then I believe. With the Wings nursing a 3-2 lead with under 5 minutes to go in regulation, Lindsay and Howe both took penalties to leave the Wings shorthanded - those boneheads! But the Wings held on. HNIC interview of Ullman after the game by I believe a youngish Bob Goldham, who in his playing days had won 4 Cups with the Wings.

I have no idea how they'll split up tickets for this game if they even will, but I expect the crowd to be mostly Wings fans, like the Tigers - Cubs series at Wrigley a few years back.

The Wings have only requested 5,000 tickets and those are probably going to the team, sponsors and select season-ticket-holders. Let's see if the Hawks restrict ticket purchases by zip code like Pittsburgh did in the playoffs. I'm sure the Hawks will get a good chunk of the tickets. Since it's a home game for them I would bet every one of their STH will get seats as well as sponsors, etc. The ones that are made available to the public will go quick.

Anyone see Chelios at Wrigley yesterday? They were showing one clip of it repeatedly on a Canadian station yesterday. He's wearing a Cubs jersey, parks the Stanley Cup near the mound, and throws out the first pitch to catcher Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. Skyed the first pitch wayover the catcher's head, so ran over and begged for a second chance, got the ball again and AGAIN skyed it over the catcher's head, lol.

305584_240x240.JPG

I'm still in favor of the NHL's decision to play on New Year's Day. Because it's a holiday for people and many will have their TV turned on to sports anyways, with the college bowl lineup on January 1 being pretty mediocre these days. But wouldn't you know it ... the Capital One Bowl featuring MSU and the Wrigley Classic featuring the Wings both start at 1pm ET.

I'm still in favor of the NHL's decision to play on New Year's Day. Because it's a holiday for people and many will have their TV turned on to sports anyways, with the college bowl lineup on January 1 being pretty mediocre these days. But wouldn't you know it ... the Capital One Bowl featuring MSU and the Wrigley Classic featuring the Wings both start at 1pm ET.

I agree with L.S.

Pro hockey is still a relatively small market sport in the U.S. & simply does not garner the interest that football does. While I would personally like this game scheduled on some day other than N.Y's Day, I think from a T.V. exposure/viewing standpoint, scheduling it on the 1st when many of people are home watching T.V. anyway is probably the right move. Not taking anything away from football enthusiasts, but at least sports minded people now have a choice of something else besides football when they're sitting around the t.v.

I still think it is dumb. I think the Saturday after the conference championship games of the NFL would be the best day. That is one of the most boring sports weekends of the year. Not many people think hockey on news year's day. And the Capital One and Cotton Bowl usually have pretty interesting matchups.

Why mention the Cotton Bowl when it's not even on the same day as this game?

Is it not? I thought it was on January 1st. Was it moved? Forgive me, it's usually been played on January 1st but I see this year's game is on the 2nd.

Either way, my point remains the same. It's still going to start at the same time as three other bowl games are being played on a day that is known for college football.

Is it not? I thought it was on January 1st. Was it moved? Forgive me, it's usually been played on January 1st but I see this year's game is on the 2nd.

Either way, my point remains the same. It's still going to start at the same time as three other bowl games are being played on a day that is known for college football.

Yeah, I got you. All I know is, I'm going to be watching both the Wings & Spartans, and the more sports on at once the better.

Yeah, I got you. All I know is, I'm going to be watching both the Wings & Spartans, and the more sports on at once the better.

For the record, there are 5 bowl games this January 1. Orange and Rose don't conflict. South Carolina vs. Iowa in the Outback at 11am and Clemson vs. Nebraska at 1pm in the Gator aren't really games with huge national appeal, IMO, especially not in areas that are at all open to hockey. Georgia vs. MSU at 1pm is more marquee, especially in the Detroit area of course. Wrigley Classic starts at 1pm.

My main conflict is that I'm supposed to run a race on New Year's. One starts at noon ET (9am ET) but is a 25km or 50km option (so would take close to a couple of hours even if I chose the shorter option). The other is a 5k so only would take around 20 minutes (and would take me another 10 minutes to jog home from the finish line) but starts right at 1pm ET. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get injured shortly before and not be able to run that day!

I agree LS about the first two games mentioned. The only ones I really care about are State & the Wings. I might switch to one of the other choices if both the Wings & Spartans are at commercial, intermission, halftime, whatever, but besides that......those other two games mean nothing to me.....