Sign in to follow this  
knoxvegas

2 thoughts on the Wings...

1) Props to Jimmy Devallano when he drafted Stevie Y. THAT was the defining moment, the turning point for what now is the current state of the Wings.

2) Rewarding CURRENT players is about money, but also about ownership commitment to continuing a state of excellence. It is nice to get a good raise, but next year Zetterberg and Franzen will know that Illitch and Holland will do everything they can to keep this up and that will should also be a factor in them signing. Its becoming more apparent that success on a team is a major factor that must be balanced with $. The Hossa signing is a classic example of it.

SO...all the current Wings know they will be 'well served' to continue here rather than just go for the most cash.

Its a culture of excellence. Props the entire Wing organization.

Wings I think will still have a chance of like 8 on 1-10 scale of keeping the Stanley cup last year and, agreed, Stevie Y. really did start this....I love hockey and I really pay attention to it, And why are they signing Hossa?? I have a feeling we should have tried keeping our group same-same....agreed??

Wings I think will still have a chance of like 8 on 1-10 scale of keeping the Stanley cup last year and, agreed, Stevie Y. really did start this....I love hockey and I really pay attention to it, And why are they signing Hossa?? I have a feeling we should have tried keeping our group same-same....agreed??

The group is the same plus Hossa. Why not add Hossa to an already great group? Defending the cup is probably harding then winning it in the first place. Besides what of Datsyuk or Zetterberg miss time? You have a 3rd accomplished scorer who can step up. It also adds depth.

NOT AGREED AT ALL!! Hossa rocks. He may be an ex-Penguin, but who the crap cares? He might just be the next star of the Red Wings.

The only real differences from last year to next in the team is Hasek's retired and Dallas Drake will probably join him in the next couple of weeks. Oh yeah, that we signed the biggest name on the Free Agent Market in Hossa.

NOT AGREED AT ALL!! Hossa rocks. He may be an ex-Penguin, but who the crap cares? He might just be the next star of the Red Wings.

To be honest, I see Hossa more as an Ex-Senator really. 4 months don't make one a lifer.

oh jesus.

Yeah, I know what you mean :wink:

The only real differences from last year to next in the team is Hasek's retired and Dallas Drake will probably join him in the next couple of weeks. Oh yeah, that we signed the biggest name on the Free Agent Market in Hossa.

To be honest, I see Hossa more as an Ex-Senator really. 4 months don't make one a lifer.

Yeah, I know what you mean :wink:

Good Point

Nobody loves what Stevie Y brought to the organization more than I. That stated, I'd suggest the defining moment of the current run of excellent play would be signing Scotty Bowman into the organization.

Prior to that, the Wings, including Yzerman, were an offense-only team that likely wouldn't have won a cup, or had they won a cup, it probably only would have been only 1 cup.

Nobody loves what Stevie Y brought to the organization more than I. That stated, I'd suggest the defining moment of the current run of excellent play would be signing Scotty Bowman into the organization.

Prior to that, the Wings, including Yzerman, were an offense-only team that likely wouldn't have won a cup, or had they won a cup, it probably only would have been only 1 cup.

I completely agree with this. As much as I liked watching those late '80's/ early '90's teams, I don't think they would've had the run as we have now.