sagnam

Red Wings sign Hossa

Quote:

flame fan annoyed (Posted 2008-07-02 22:38:33)

Detroit doesn't pay their guys what they worth, ever. As soon as their guys want what they are worth they ship them out. Look at Shanahan... Any good management worth playing for would have already extended their contract with Franzen and Zetterberg. Zetterberg is making 2.2 million and Franzen 1.1 million. Nice salary for 12 playoff goals. and the 5th highest scorer in the league. Hossa is making what pretty much all the forwards combined except for Datsyuk. I would be pissed off if I was anybody else on the team. Brad Stuart and Cronwall make more than Zetterberg. For the league to be fair under a salary cap, players should get paid what they are worth, otherwise you get guys taking pay cuts to be on stacked teams and the best players in the league get paid chump change. Grow up Detroit GM and pay your players like they deserve. I call every other team being annoyed with the stars on Detroit and some key players getting injured. For the league to get better and more competitive we need improving players to move around for more money. I used to be a big Wings fan while Yzerman was there, but since then they keep ditching good players who have earned a good pay check. Look out Zetterberg and Franzen, Detroit would rather pay their defense than you guys. You won't be back Hossa, just some other tool who thinks he is getting a year of glory. Calgary pays their guys what they are worth. I guarantee any of those underpaid guys on Detroit wish their team was loyal like Calgary.

This guy is a retard.

Is it a given that he's not gonna be here after this season?

No, it's not a given that it's for one year only. A few things could happen: a) salary cap could continue to rise by $3-$5mm; b) Franzen could fall back to earth and thus not command a huge contract next summer; and c) creative structuring and flexibility with Zetterberg and Hossa and Franzen leads to them all staying somehow.

Look what one Pittsburgh fan did with their Hossa jersey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw7i37iz57U

Well, he's the idiot that spent his money for a rent-a-player's jersey.

And what's with the Octo-Wuss.

Hey, who won? The Red Wings. Go cry some more now because with everybody bolting the Pens, they probably won't be back for a few years.

Quote:

flame fan annoyed (Posted 2008-07-02 22:38:33)

Detroit doesn't pay their guys what they worth, ever. As soon as their guys want what they are worth they ship them out. Look at Shanahan... Any good management worth playing for would have already extended their contract with Franzen and Zetterberg. Zetterberg is making 2.2 million and Franzen 1.1 million. Nice salary for 12 playoff goals. and the 5th highest scorer in the league. Hossa is making what pretty much all the forwards combined except for Datsyuk. I would be pissed off if I was anybody else on the team. Brad Stuart and Cronwall make more than Zetterberg. For the league to be fair under a salary cap, players should get paid what they are worth, otherwise you get guys taking pay cuts to be on stacked teams and the best players in the league get paid chump change. Grow up Detroit GM and pay your players like they deserve. I call every other team being annoyed with the stars on Detroit and some key players getting injured. For the league to get better and more competitive we need improving players to move around for more money. I used to be a big Wings fan while Yzerman was there, but since then they keep ditching good players who have earned a good pay check. Look out Zetterberg and Franzen, Detroit would rather pay their defense than you guys. You won't be back Hossa, just some other tool who thinks he is getting a year of glory. Calgary pays their guys what they are worth. I guarantee any of those underpaid guys on Detroit wish their team was loyal like Calgary.

This guy is a retard.

Yeah that guy is completely missing the point in the salary cap era. Z and Franzen just like any other NHL player know they have to wait for their FA period to get extensions. I was saying during the playoffs that the Wings #1 priority was to lock up Z for a lot of years but that's just not how things work these days.

The one thing I like a lot about the Hossa signing is that if...IF....Zeterberg decides he'd like to play somewhere else the Wings have the flexibility of having Hossa already here. I'd like to keep both of them and I do think it's possible, just not likely. But who cares, that's a year away. Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

No, it's not a given that it's for one year only. A few things could happen: a) salary cap could continue to rise by $3-$5mm; b) Franzen could fall back to earth and thus not command a huge contract next summer; and c) creative structuring and flexibility with Zetterberg and Hossa and Franzen leads to them all staying somehow.

I think the Hossa deal benefits Franzen probably more than anyone and I see his numbers going up.

That said, you're completely correct. A lot of stuff can happen/change and we really won't know if we can keep Hossa based on a number of variables that are hard to predict at this very moment.

Is it a given that he's not gonna be here after this season?

No its not a given, but this is a great deal even if it is for just 1 year.

As it stood, the Wings had a lot of salary cap going into the 2008/2009 season, but uncertainty after that because Zetterberg and Franzen need to get signed long term, plus they don't know what the cap number will be. So the Wings either could have stood pat and had lower payroll, or signed someone to play just 1 season. They got the best player available, and he agreed to a 1-year deal.

Even if Hossa leaves after 1 year, they still are better off for that season, and gave up nothing (aside from salary) to get it.

Still in a relative state of disbelief over this.

Still get an immense, Cheshire Cat grin, every time I think about this.

Still in a relative state of disbelief over this.
Still get an immense, Cheshire Cat grin, every time I think about this.

This just makes me grateful that we have the best run team in sports. :happy:

As nice as the summer has been, and still savoring the post Cup Victory feeling, I'm really missing hockey lately. Especially with the signing of Hossa, Conklin, and all the rest. Not wishing summer to end, but come September, I'm ready!