sagnam

Red Wings sign Hossa

Very interesting blog on how the deal got done.

Ken Holland said that he had discussions with Marian Hossa's agent Rich Winter yesterday and that the Red Wings made a long-term contract offer. As the day wore on, it became obvious that Hossa was receiving bigger and better offers from other teams.

Holland thought the deal wasn't going get done, in fact calling the thought of Hossa coming to Detroit "a dream world considering our salary cap situation for '09." The Red Wings were looking for a one-year singing to allow for cap space to sign Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen next year. Hossa had reportedly received offers as high as $81 million over nine years (from Edmonton).

But on his way down to Joe Louis Arena this morning, Holland stopped at a Mobil station and got a call from Winter. With Hossa on the other end of the call, Winter told Holland that Hossa was very, very interested in becoming a Red Wing.

Then, Winter said that their side was willing to sing a one-year contract to make the deal happen. Holland said that he was shocked. He later said that this deal happened because of Hossa and his desire to come to Detroit.

The two sides worked out a salary figure that put Hossa just behind Nicklas Lidstrom as the second highest paid Red Wing.

From Hossa's vantage point, the Red Wings give him a strong chance to win a Stanley Cup and the team plays a style that he prefers -- emphasizing two-way forward play and puck-moving defensemen.

Hossa said that he talked with fellow Slovak Tomas Kopecky -- the two are part of a group of Slovak NHLers who work out in Trencin together every summer -- and liked what he heard about Detroit's players and organization.

Both sides said in today's press conference that they hope this will be more than a one-year relationship. Holland said that he'll have a better idea in the middle of next season what the 2009-10 salary cap will be and whether he can work deals with the players he has to sign for that season.

"Hopefully this is a long-term relationship," said Holland of the Hossa/Red Wing marriage. "The hope is we can keep everyone together ... I've got some time now to see what I can do."

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-hossa-deal-got-done.html

I'll have to start frequenting this guys blog, he's a very good writer.

Incredible. This is one of the best franchises in all of sports.

Just went to a hockey board I frequent and the Pens fans are absolutely irate. Good times.

I can't really blame them though......

Some Russian team was offering Malkin a ridiculous amount of money to play over there (but now they've signed him to an extension, so that's at least one plus).

Orpik shot their offer down to test the waters

Roberts & Malone bolted to join Tampa Bay (nice pun eh?:cheeky: ).

We stole Hossa & their backup goalie Ty Conklin, who had some pretty good numbers for them while Fleury was out....

And their only signing so far has been the blockbuster deal with Eric Godard.......who?:tired:........Ohhhh, he had a goal & an assist all of last year with the Flames, but hey he had 171 penalty minutes......

Yeah, that being said, I'd be pretty pissed if I were a Penguins fan too. You were just in the Stanley Cup Finals, now you have a team that's losing players & all they've done to counter that is picked up some beater who has 8 points in 200 games......ouch......:dead:

We'll see. Lidstrom will be 39 then. Plus I think older players realize that their big-money contracts are usually signed around the age of 30-33. I don't believe Yzerman was the highest-paid Wing near the end, was he? My guess is that Zetterberg will be the highest-paid Wing in the 2009-10 season.

Yeah, you are probably right. I just wonder how much he'll want. Do you think he'd settle for less than Crosby/Malkin's 8.7M/year? I would think so, but I guess it's a wait and see thing.

http://redwingscorner.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-hossa-deal-got-done.html

I'll have to start frequenting this guys blog, he's a very good writer.

Good read Sagnam.

Sounds like Hossa made the choice to do what he thought gave him the best chance to win a Cup. Turning down an $81 million offer is pretty bold, and the only reason I could see someone turning that much money down, is because they want to win.

Hossa has the stale taste of almost winning a Stanley Cup still in his mouth, and now he wants to taste sweet champagne out of the cup, and the Wings appeared to be his ticket to that train.

I know it's something none of us want to even think about let alone discuss, but I think it's very possible Nicklas calls it a career at the end of this contract. Multiple Stanley Cups, Gold Medal, a bookcase full of Norris Trophy's, and the title as the best defensive D-man ever and second best d-man overall.

Good that they got to Holland as he was pulling into the Mobil station. If they had waited until after Holland had filled up his car, Holland probably would have felt too poor to pay Hossa.

On that note, why would a player of Hossa's marketability take a one year deal in this day and age? Puzzling ...

It's actually refreshing that a star player would take this contract to play for a team that wins championships. It says something about him. Though he could have done the same in Pittsburgh too. It's credit to the Red Wings organization that players come for less money just to get a ring.

Though he could have done the same in Pittsburgh too.

Except that Pittsburgh team is going to look significantly different next season. Also, there simply has to be more to the story with so many players looking to leave that organization.

Except that Pittsburgh team is going to look significantly different next season. Also, there simply has to be more to the story with so many players looking to leave that organization.

Therrien

The rumor has been that a lot of the players did not like playing for Therrien. That makes a lot of sense considering the mass exodus that's taking place.

Holland press conference up on http://redwings.nhl.com/

Once you click on Holland's interview and the player pops up, click on 'games' and you'll find highlights of the 1955 Cup finals. Pretty cool.

So I've been taking **** from other fans. The best and recurring theme is that the Wings will be "overwhelming favorites" and that losing would be a huge letdown. Well the Wings probably would have been favorites anyway, they are defending champs, and there was a chance they would have brought Sundin in. Lot's of sour grapes out there, good times for us. I want to be the favorites!

So I've been taking **** from other fans. The best and recurring theme is that the Wings will be "overwhelming favorites" and that losing would be a huge letdown. Well the Wings probably would have been favorites anyway, they are defending champs, and there was a chance they would have brought Sundin in. Lot's of sour grapes out there, good times for us. I want to be the favorites!

Oh yeah and the Wings have NO experience being the overwhelming favorites either!

I guess he knows a winner when he sees it eh?

LOL. I know a Pens fan thats going to be so ticked off... heh.

I guess he knows a winner when he sees it eh?

LOL. I know a Pens fan thats going to be so ticked off... heh.

You're not talking about the one that threw the beer at you, are you? :cheeky:

You're not talking about the one that threw the beer at you, are you? :cheeky:

Haha, no. Its a guy I work with, and he is working right now so he likely hasn't heard yet. I'm off today.

If this wasn't the NHL, I bet the Red Wings would get ballyhooed as the best run franchise in pro sports. I think they edge out the San Antonio Spurs in that regard. I think the 2008 Stanley Cup solidified it. When I say best run, I don't just mean success, but there has to be a reason more then just winning, why free agents take less to play in Detroit. Hossa isn't the first player to take less to come to Detroit in the Holland era. The team culture along with the winning must be the reason. Hossa turned down essentially 45 million to play in Detroit. If he gets injured, he won't see another 52 million dollar deal. Just speaks volumes on how the team is run.

Personally, its funny to see fans of the Pens, Hawks, Blues, Oilers and Flames spewing all this vitriol about the Wings signing Hossa.

Yesterday: "We might get Hossa! He's a great talent!"

Today: "He just signed with Detroit! And he took a pay cut! I hope he gets injured! EFF that guy!"

Personally, its funny to see fans of the Pens, Hawks, Blues, Oilers and Flames spewing all this vitriol about the Wings signing Hossa.

Yesterday: "We might get Hossa! He's a great talent!"

Today: "He just signed with Detroit! And he took a pay cut! I hope he gets injured! EFF that guy!"

Reading the Pittsburgh forum now. Good stuff. One funny one was "Hossa's a Babcock sucker" I did find that one funny though.

They just don't make em any better than Kenny Holland- we're very lucky to have him!

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080702/BLOG09/80702064

The Red Wings have come to terms with unrestricted free agent Marian Hossa for a one-year deal worth $7.4 million, further securing Detroit's status as Stanley Cup favorites.

The contract makes Hossa, 29, the second-highest paid Wings player behind defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom ($7.45 million), but the short term ensures the Wings will have the money to re-sign Henrik Zetterberg and Johan Franzen when their deals are up next summer.

“I’m really happy to become Detroit Red Wing,” Hossa said. “It’s a big decision for me I have to make. When I look at it, I wanted to have the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. I feel Detroit is the team. They’ve got a great team. I know I could get more money somewhere else, but I was looking for best chance to win Stanley Cup, and I think Detroit is that destination.”

Hossa adds more firepower to an already impressive forward corps. Last season, Hossa scored 29 goals and had 66 points in 72 games split between Atlanta and Pittsburgh. At 6-foot-1, 210 pounds, the winger also adds good size to the lineup.

"It's fantastic," Wings coach Mike Babcock said. "He fits into our philosophy in that he wants to win. He’s a two-way player like Pav and Z, and what I mean by that is, he’s as good with the puck as without. To me, he’s one of the top 15 forwards in the game."

The Wings can now field two top lines chosen from among Hossa, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen, Valtteri Filppula, Tomas Holmstrom, Dan Cleary and Mikael Samuelsson.

Yesterday, the Wings locked up Brad Stuart for four years, securing his return to a top-four defense that consists of Lidstrom, Brian Rafalski and Niklas Kronwall. Signing Hossa has, without question, skyrocketed the Wings' chances to repeat, and has given them a fresh ingredient for the coming season.

"After you win the Cup, it’s easy to be stale," Babcock said. "You have to change things up a bit, and that’s what we’ve been able to do. It’s that excitment that helps your team get started. We like the steps we've taken."

Hossa could have made considerably more, the Oilers reportedly offered him $9 per season for nine years.

"I know myself I make the right decision," Hossa said. "It wasn’t easy. It wasn’t easy to turn that money away, but it’s how I decide. We’lll see at end of next year how I decide."

The Wings' payroll now stands at just under $53 million, still below the $56.7 million cap, with Filppula and Chris Chelios still to sign, plus possibly Darren McCarty or Aaron Downey.

"I expect we'll get Chelios done in the next few days," general manager Ken Holland said. "I'd like to sign a forward, but more of a two-way (contract) forward, so we can go to camp and move people around. If it's a one-way, then all the spots are filled. I'm not sure if Donwey or McCarty will buy into a two-way contract. We're looking for one more guy, but if we don't do anything else, we feel good about our team."

Holland said the Wings had been talking long-term contract with Hossa yesterday afternoon, but that was quickly scuttled because there was no way the Wings could give him the high pay that would match offers from other teams, and long term. This morning, Holland said he was at a Mobil gas station when Hossa's agent, Rich Winter (also the agent for Dominik Hasek) called and said Hossa was interested in working something out for one year.

"I was caught way off guard," Holland said. "Shocked was my initial reaction. Marian made a decision he’d like to find a way to join our team. He wants to raise the Cup over his head. Without him wanting to be a Red Wing, this day would never have happened. I'm thrilled."

Counting Filppula, the Wings already have 12 forwards signed to NHL contracts, and it's widely expected Ville Leino will be able to compete for a spot in Detroit. Under any circumstance, today's signing seems to shut the door on Mats Sundin joining the Wings.

"We've got a little space left, but nothing to add a player like Sundin," Holland said.

On another note, this further depletes Pittsburgh, which lost in six games to Detroit in the Stanley Cup finals. Hossa was a key acquisition for the Penguins at the trade deadline, but now both he and big winger Ryan Malone, signed a few days ago by Tampa Bay, are gone.

I'm going to create an account on the Pittsburgh forum and see if it is possible to have a civilized conversation with them.

I'm going to create an account on the Pittsburgh forum and see if it is possible to have a civilized conversation with them.

It isn't.

You will be accused of flaming, it doesn't matter the subject matter.