sagnam

Red Wings sign Hossa

Honestly, if gaining Hossa long-term means losing Filppula, I'm all for it.

Well, long term is where it gets painful. That would mean losing Filppula and Franzen at a minimum. And that's assuming Hossa would take another discount. I guess we will see at the end of the year how far those guys have come along and how Hossa plays in Detroit.

I'm still freaking out right now. I've been giggling like a little girl for the last hour and a half.

Substitute "Franzen" for "Filppula" and I'd still be for it.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings lose Filppula to a silly offer by the Canucks if the Canucks don't get Sundin. Although I sense GM Gillis wants a big name. Still, they made an offer (since matched) yesterday for St.Louis RFA RW David Backes for $7.5mm over 3 years.

I doubt the Wings will sign Hossa long-term.

I strongly suspect the made their 'best offer', which is a 1-year deal, and Hossa took it. Unless Franzen plays poorly or Z (heaven forbid) gets hurt, I am fairly sure the Wings will focus on signing those guys long term rather than trying to keep Hossa. Just my opinion.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Wings lose Filppula to a silly offer by the Canucks if the Canucks don't get Sundin. Although I sense GM Gillis wants a big name. Still, they made an offer (since matched) yesterday for St.Louis RFA RW David Backes for $7.5mm over $3 years.

The good thing about that is the compensation the Wings would receive for a big offer on Filppula.

[B]Amount				Compensation Due[/B]
$863,156 or less None
$863,156 - $1,307,811 3rd round pick
$1,307,811 - $2,615,623 2nd round pick
$2,615,623 - $3,923,434 1st and 3rd round pick
$3,923,434 - $5,231,246 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick
$5,231,246 - $6,539,061 Two 1st's, one 2nd, one 3rd round pick
$6,539,061 or more Four 1st round picks

I doubt the Wings will sign Hossa long-term.

I strongly suspect the made their 'best offer', which is a 1-year deal, and Hossa took it. Unless Franzen plays poorly or Z (heaven forbid) gets hurt, I am fairly sure the Wings will focus on signing those guys long term rather than trying to keep Hossa. Just my opinion.

I agree.

Zetterberg-Dastyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Fillpula-Hossa

Samuleson-Draper-Cleary

Kopecky-Hudler-Leino

Maltby, McCarty, Helm on the bench.....

Any guess on what number jersey Hossa wears? I would guess #81 or #8

That should not be an issue. The Wings still have $4 million in cap space, so they should be able to match any offer, unless someone gives him $5 mill per season, in which case, I'd gladly take the multiple 1st round and 2nd round draft picks that would come with such an offer.

As for Franzen, this gives us another season to see if last year was a fluke or if he's really transitioning into John LeClair with better defense. If so, signing him and Hossa is not realistic. If he comes back down to earth, and the cap goes up again, it's very possible all three (Z, Franzen, Hossa) could be kept.

The beauty of the situation is, no matter what, we have the flexibility to keep whoever should be kept. That's why the 1-year term was the single most important factor of this signing.

Holland is not only one of the best GMs in the NHL, he's one of the best GMs in all of sports.

Wow... So what's the record for wins in a season and when will we break it? The first team power play is going to make the Russian five look pedestrian in comparison.

Zetterberg-Dastyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Fillpula-Hossa

Samuleson-Draper-Cleary

Kopecky-Hudler-Leino

Maltby, McCarty, Helm on the bench.....

Any guess on what number jersey Hossa wears? I would guess #81 or #8

He wears #81 for the Slovakian national team (Miroslav Satan wears #18 for them), so I assume that's the number he'll go with here.

Here's how I'd line it up:

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Holmstrom

Franzen - Filppula - Hossa

Cleary - Draper - Maltby

Samuelsson - Helm - Hudler

PP #1

Datsyuk - Zetterberg - Hossa

Lidstrom - Rafalski

PP #2

Franzen - Filppula - Hudler/Cleary

Kronwall - Samuelsson

I could see Sammy getting traded with Hossa on board. He should have pretty nice value because he only has 1 year deal for $1.25 million.

Truthfully, I won't shed any tears when/if this happens.

Check out this gem I found on the Official Penguins board.

So the wings first line will be

Zetterburg - Datsyuk - Hossa ?

That's ridiculous.

Yea, but it gets thin after that. Detroit's strength is in their defense.

If the Wings are thin on the 2nd line then what is every other team?

Also, there are a lot of really angry Pens fans right now. They range from wishing injury on Hossa to theories that Hossa and the Wings conspired against Pittsburgh causing them to miss out on the top free agents.

There's also been a few greedy comments (lol) and one guy called Pittsburgh a good hockey town (lol).

I wonder if Pens fans still consider Hossa "the best backchecker in hockey".

lol.

That's another reason I like this deal. By adding Hossa, we could potentially have the three best two-way forwards in hockey. We all know what Dats and Hank are all about, but Hossa is right up there with them. This is so unbelievably exciting. He was the Pens' best player in the SCF and most DRW fans I know were soiling themselves every time he had the puck.

So, let's recap: he's a natural winger, good two-way forward, very accurate shot, is obviously hungry to win the Cup. What's not to love about this deal?

More Pens ridiculousness

You're not gonna be in a good situation come 2010.

You might be asking yourself, "why?" Well, here's the reasoning.

But I do know you guys have an aging captain, are seeing 4 key players hit UFA next year, and 4 the year after, and have little depth as far as prospects go. I'll give props to Detroit for pulling diamonds in the rough out in the past, but considering anything can happen, it's hardly something to be bragging over.

It's sad really. This guy just assumes that all 8 UFAs are going to walk.

Haha......we were already unstoppable, but now we're effin UNSTOPPABLE!!!!

Can I just order my tickets for next years Stanley Cup Finals series right now?

More Pens ridiculousness

Wow. Whatever get's you through the night, I guess.

More Pens ridiculousness

You might be asking yourself, "why?" Well, here's the reasoning.

What's great about those posts is the Hossa signing has no impact whatsoever on the Wings' ability to sign the 8 UFAs.

The radio show in Tampa said, the biggest splash in hockey today was the signing of Hossa by the Red Wings!!! I about crashed my car!!! holy crap!!

Incredible. This is one of the best franchises in all of sports.

Just went to a hockey board I frequent and the Pens fans are absolutely irate. Good times.

What's great about those posts is the Hossa signing has no impact whatsoever on the Wings' ability to sign the 8 UFAs.

Exactly. I have no idea how many of those 8 will get signed, but I do know for sure that a 1 year deal for Hossa leaves all the doors open.

Personally, I'd assume that if the Wings are interested in Hossa long term next year then it may cost them a little more than they would like, just to reciprocate the good will. Of course, I doubt they would pay Zetterberg much more than Lidstrom, and Hossa more that Zetterberg. So those self imposed limitations will play a role in signings next year.

Of course, I doubt they would pay Zetterberg much more than Lidstrom, and Hossa more that Zetterberg. So those self imposed limitations will play a role in signings next year.

We'll see. Lidstrom will be 39 then. Plus I think older players realize that their big-money contracts are usually signed around the age of 30-33. I don't believe Yzerman was the highest-paid Wing near the end, was he? My guess is that Zetterberg will be the highest-paid Wing in the 2009-10 season.