sagnam

Red Wings sign Hossa

It's weird that he signed a 1 year deal.

The Penguins were offering him a 7 year deal for 52 mil

Hossa said a big part of the signing with Detroit was because of Babcock

Before I get jumped on for my SWAG Stanley Cup repeat estimate, please understand that I don't think any other team has anything near a 30% shot, like the Wings, but no amount of moves in today's NHL can cause a team to become so dominant as to give them much more than a 30% shot going into the playoffs, IMO.

But he also had to find a team with cap room and a legit shot, that severely cuts down the number of teams available.

Actually, there have been quite a few stories about it, and there were reports this morning that the Wings were in his final 4, along with Pittsburgh, NYR, and Edmonton, with the Wings offer being both the lowest and shortest.

I remember years back when I was pi$$ed that Kariya and some other hot shot scorer (cant recall name) took less than market to sign on with Colo.

Needless to say, Im not pi$$ed now.

HAUL!

Actually, there have been quite a few stories about it, and there were reports this morning that the Wings were in his final 4, along with Pittsburgh, NYR, and Edmonton, with the Wings offer being both the lowest and shortest.

This was the main one I had read.

'Big news—Hossa is being courted by the Oilers, Rangers, Canadiens and perhaps still the Bruins (if not more teams). The Oilers are said to be willing to match any offer for the stud winger; we’ll just have to wait and see what comes.'

The Wings have won 4 Cups but now they have a chance to completely stamp their mark on an era by winning with style and speed and skill. This 2008 Stanley Cup win should be as important a force for entertaining hockey as the Devils' win in 1995 was a force for dull hockey that lasted a decade. You already saw at this year's draft how teams were trying to emulate the Wings. Whether they win the Cup next year is hard to predict, that 30% chance seems about right given the average team in a 30-team league would have just over a 3% chance. But what I would like to see is them go out and smash the Habs' regular season records of the late '70s.

The signing is up on the Detroit Red Wings official site now.

More reasons to love Ken Holland, he is loyal.

The $7.4 million that Hossa will earn next season, is the most Detroit would pay anyone - even an unrestricted free agent. The Red Wings were insistent that no one earn more money than six-time Norris Trophy winner Nicklas Lidstrom.

I wonder what the ramifications are. Hopefully they'll still sign Fillipula, and Zetterberg next year. This is good on the surface, but there are other fish to fry right now.

The only concern, and it's a very minor concern, is Filppula. Specifically any crazy offer sheet that may be extended to him. They have around 4 million left for Filppula, Howard, Downey/McCarty, and Chelios.

This signing has no bearing whatsoever on Zetterberg and Franzen, they are both under contract this year and can sign an extension at any point between now and next July with no cap ramifications.

This is simply the money they had set aside for Sundin. Instead they got twice the player.

there are none, Cruzer. Absolutely NONE! It's a no-brainer, no loss, all win situation.

They still have about 4 million in cap room, enough to sign their remaining FA, and since Hossa is a one year deal, it won't interfere with Zetterberg + other next year.

Unless the cap raises so much that Kenny can bring back Hossa long term with a sensible deal!

I make a peepee down my drawers........

OMFG.

The line combo possibilities are dizzying.

from last night:

(10:41:28 PM) Cameron: Hossa to Wings!

(10:41:46 PM) Scott: wow really?

(10:41:50 PM) Cameron: no :(

(10:41:53 PM) Scott: oh lol

(10:41:57 PM) Scott: i just got back from the store

(10:41:58 PM) Cameron: dude

(10:42:02 PM) Scott: so i had no idea

(10:42:03 PM) Cameron: nothing has happened

(10:42:09 PM) Cameron: except Ryder to Boston

(10:42:18 PM) Cameron: imagine though

(10:42:34 PM) Cameron: a PP of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hossa, Lidstrom and Rafalski

(10:42:54 PM) Scott: you'd have to free up some cap space though

(10:42:58 PM) Cameron: not really

(10:43:08 PM) Cameron: the Wings could sign Hossa to a max deal basically

(10:43:22 PM) Cameron: they have like 13 million in cap room

(10:43:47 PM) Cameron: they need to resign Zetterberg next year though

(10:43:57 PM) Cameron: so they shouldn't give anyone a long term big payday

(10:45:21 PM) Scott: oh right

(10:45:39 PM) Scott: i always forget zetterberg is still a steal

(10:45:40 PM) Cameron: the Wings are so well run

I make a peepee down my drawers........

OMFG.

The line combo possibilities are dizzying.

Is that a Babcock quote also?

Just for kicks, how good would a power play grouping of Z, Dats, Hossa, Holmstrom, Lidstrom and Kronwall be?

Amazing considering that's 6 guys.

from last night:

(10:41:28 PM) Cameron: Hossa to Wings!

(10:41:46 PM) Scott: wow really?

(10:41:50 PM) Cameron: no :(

(10:41:53 PM) Scott: oh lol

(10:41:57 PM) Scott: i just got back from the store

(10:41:58 PM) Cameron: dude

(10:42:02 PM) Scott: so i had no idea

(10:42:03 PM) Cameron: nothing has happened

(10:42:09 PM) Cameron: except Ryder to Boston

(10:42:18 PM) Cameron: imagine though

(10:42:34 PM) Cameron: a PP of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hossa, Lidstrom and Rafalski

(10:42:54 PM) Scott: you'd have to free up some cap space though

(10:42:58 PM) Cameron: not really

(10:43:08 PM) Cameron: the Wings could sign Hossa to a max deal basically

(10:43:22 PM) Cameron: they have like 13 million in cap room

(10:43:47 PM) Cameron: they need to resign Zetterberg next year though

(10:43:57 PM) Cameron: so they shouldn't give anyone a long term big payday

(10:45:21 PM) Scott: oh right

(10:45:39 PM) Scott: i always forget zetterberg is still a steal

(10:45:40 PM) Cameron: the Wings are so well run

is this a conversation of someone of importance or is this just some random conversation

Honestly, if gaining Hossa long-term means losing Filppula, I'm all for it.

I think Hossa will be a one year shot. In 09-10 we got Z, Franzen, Sammy, Filppula as UFAs among the forwards (Hudler restricted free agent). Z will get Datsyuk money and perhaps more (at least $7M I think) and if Franzen takes up where he left off he's also gonna fetch big bucks. Filppula is a restricted free agent right now and I'm a bit concerned some pissed GM will throw an offer to him to get us over or near the cap. All our D is signed through 09-10 as is Ozzy. Tremendous job by Holland and Co.