D-League

-------------

Samb

Plaisted

15th Player

------------

Ratliff

Some issues..based upon fact

Plaisted is going to Europe..they will not only move Sheed..Smith is resticted so it will take a player not just an inclanation to sign him, to get him..otherwise..good job..

Back up 3 spaces and try again..

Josh Smith is going to play center?

You can't trade Rasheed Wallace for a draft pick or cap space either, the salary coming back has to be within 125% of Rasheed's current salary, which leaves the Pistons over the cap, or barely under, not allowing them to sign Josh Smith to an offer sheet.

Josh Smith is going to play center?

You can't trade Rasheed Wallace for a draft pick or cap space either, the salary coming back has to be within 125% of Rasheed's current salary, which leaves the Pistons over the cap, or barely under, not allowing them to sign Josh Smith to an offer sheet.

My thoughts exactly

There was this interesting piece this morning in the DetNews from our friend Chris.

There's a strong chance that Theo Ratliff could return. He has been contemplating retirement, but the Pistons would like to bring him back as their fifth big man.

Lindsey Hunter, too, has been contemplating retirement. Initially, he was expected to return as a member of Michael Curry's coaching staff. That didn't happen.

Now, Hunter is considering the possibility of playing one more season.

I think Hunter's return could depend on

1. If the Pistons decide to add Acker to the 15

2. Who the Pistons may sign with MLE and possibly with the VE

I like the idea of having Ratliff on the roster as I did last year. I just never liked the fact that Flip chose to play him instead of Amir. However, as a solid practice player he could be of valuable aid in improving Amir's inside game on offense due to Ratliff's defensive experience and remaining skills

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080630/SPORTS0102/806300345/

First a couple of assumptions

1. Sheed is traded for a draft choice clearing cap space

2. Josh Smith is signed using the cap space cleared by trading Sheed

How can you possibly make those assumptions?

Those two scenarios are pretty ridiculous.

I mean, trading one of the best and highest paid players on the team for a draft pick? That is crazy.

And what makes you think that the Pistons could just snap up Josh Smith. He is a restricted free agent and I'm pretty sure Atlanta likes him a whole lot. And how do you even know that Joe D likes him enough to offer him a big enough contract that the Hawks wouldn't match it? C'mon, you thought Joe D was in love with CDR and he blew him off! Everything you said about the draft was completely wrong. I don't know how you can play the role of such an insider when you live in Los Angeles. Based on everything you've posted over the last month, there is no way I can buy into anything you say.

Detroit Pistons Eyeing Josh Smith?

06.23.2008 - Updated on 06.23.2008

Keep an eye on the negotiations between the Hawks and forward Josh Smith. Smith is a restricted free agent reportedly seeking a deal that starts in excess of $11 million. Hawks new general manager Rick Sund might not be willing to start a deal at that price. If an impasse occurs, you can bet the Pistons will come asking about a possible sign-and-trade deal. [http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080623/SPORTS0102/806230382/1127]

*Keep an eye on the negotiations between the Hawks and forward Josh Smith. Smith is a restricted free agent reportedly seeking a deal that starts in excess of $11 million. Hawks new general manager Rick Sund might not be willing to start a deal at that price. If an impasse occurs, you can bet the Pistons will come asking about a possible sign-and-trade deal.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080623/SPORTS0102/806230382/1127

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba/nba-news/detroit-pistons-eyeing-josh-smith-ar48515.html

Well great.

He isn't the savior you make him out to be. Unless Tayshaun is traded, he won't see enough floor time to make much difference. Prince is ensconced.

You also posted about a million clips saying that Bill Walker was going to be the pick.

When Amir Johnson is elected to the Hall of Fame, maybe I will take something you post seriously.

Well great.

He isn't the savior you make him out to be. Unless Tayshaun is traded, he won't see enough floor time to make much difference. Prince is ensconced.

You also posted about a million clips saying that Bill Walker was going to be the pick.

When Amir Johnson is elected to the Hall of Fame, maybe I will take something you post seriously.

1. Smith is a #4 not a #3.

2. Walker would have been selected if he had agreed to go to Europe.

The Pistons had a chance to draft Kansas State's Bill Walker, a player they reportedly guaranteed they would draft with their first-round pick. Dumars said players that late in the draft under consideration were asked if they would play overseas if the Pistons drafted them. Walker, who was taken with the No. 47 pick by Washington -- one after Detroit's selection of Trent Plaisted at No. 46 -- said he would not.

"We make a list of all the guys that say yes, that we like," Dumars said. "Those kids (Plaisted at No. 46, and Deron Washington at No. 59) were two kids that said yes."

As for Walker, Dumars said, "he was a guy that we liked an awful lot. Once he gets healthy, he's going to be a really good player

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/06/sleeping_condition_tainted_sha.html

3. I have never said Amir would make the Naismith HOF. What I have said and will say is. That right now he is our best or 2nd best big man defender and that he will become an all-star.

Yeah dude. He would have been the pick. But he wasn't. How come you didn't know that he wouldn't go to Europe before the draft? Why wasn't it known that Joe was looking exclusively for kids who would go to Europe before the draft?

Where were you?

You come here proclaiming everything you say is fact. You make wild assumptions and declare them gospel. Please, get something right before you coronate yourself.

Edit: So Josh Smith is a 6-9, 235 lb power forward. But freshly obsessed-upon Walter Sharpe is a 6-9, 245 lb small forward?

What constitutes the difference between a small and a power forward?

Josh Smith is a long small forward. His 235 lb frame doesn't exactly convey power to me.

2008-09 Version #2

First a couple of assumptions

1. Sheed is traded for a draft choice clearing cap space. Josh Smith is signed using the cap space cleared by trading Sheed.

or

1A. Sheed is traded for Smith on a sign and trade deal.

2. James Jones is signed as a free agent.

Okay so we have:

Starting 5

------------

Smith - replaces Sheed from 2007-08

Prince

Dyess

Hamilton

Billups

Zoo Crew #2

-----------

Johnson

Maxiell

Jones

Stuckey

Afflalo

plus

--------

Ratliff

Hunter

Sharpe

Samb

D-League

-------------

Samb

Sharpe?

15th Player

------------

Unknown - I would love it to be Livingston, but that is just a crazy idea wish at this point. LOL

Yeah dude. He would have been the pick. But he wasn't. How come you didn't know that he wouldn't go to Europe before the draft? Why wasn't it known that Joe was looking exclusively for kids who would go to Europe before the draft?

Where were you?

You come here proclaiming everything you say is fact. You make wild assumptions and declare them gospel. Please, get something right before you coronate yourself.

Edit: So Josh Smith is a 6-9, 235 lb power forward. But freshly obsessed-upon Walter Sharpe is a 6-9, 245 lb small forward?

What constitutes the difference between a small and a power forward?

Josh Smith is a long small forward. His 235 lb frame doesn't exactly convey power to me.

1. Josh Smith is a good but not great rebounder. He is a better rebounder than Maxiell who plays the #4.

2. Josh Smith's offensive game is around the basket not at the wing.

3. Josh Smith can not handle the ball well enough to play the #3

4. Josh Smith can't shoot outside well enough to play the #3

5. Josh Smith played the #4 at Atlanta.

6. People have some strange misconception that weight determines what position you will play as a big. They think that you have to meet a certain minimum weight requirement to play the #4 or the #5. This is totally erroneous.

Weight is not the main determiner in how good you defend or how well you score,

otherwise players like Gheorghe Mureşan would be in the Naismith HOF.

Everything else being equal between two players, the heavier big is of course a better choice, but just because someone is heavier doesn't make them better.

Smith can defend the #4 and his offense is primarily in the paint. He is a #4 and not a #3.

Sharpe is a #3 because he can handle the ball on the wing and shoot from distance.

Whether Smith winds up with the Pistons is another story. If he does he will most certainly be better than Sheed at the #4 at this point in time in their respective careers.

There was this interesting piece this morning in the DetNews from our friend Chris.

Both Hunter and Ratliff need to retire

Both Hunter and Ratliff need to retire

As practice players their presence can invaluable in improving our young guys. For what we would have to pay them I think that it would be smart to have them back again next year to be used primarily as emergency players and practice players. They can still compete good enough to help our young guys in practice and in emergency situations.

As everyday players I agree with you.

I have no problem with us resigning them another year as long as MC doesn't make the same dumb mistake, which I doubt he will, that Flip made of putting experience over on court ability when it came to actual games.

I would love J-Smoove/Prince on the court at the same time, I just can't see a situation (other than in a video game) where they both fit seamlessly into a lineup. Stucky/Hamilton/Prince/Smith/Amir...pretty awesome athletically on paper (and in a dream's mind)...but just not sure of it's actually capability come game time.

Josh Smith is listed at 6'9" and 235 lbs

Chris Bosh who plays PF and Center is listed at 6'10" and 230 lbs.

By comparison Darko weight 275 lbs.

Wow, why can't we wait until Joe makes at least ONE SIGNIFICANT MOVE before we start a thread making out 08-09 rotations .. it's ridiculous!

2008-09 Version #3

Changes from Version #2

1. Sheed replaces Smith

2. Bynum added

Okay so we have:

Starting 5

------------

Sheed

Prince

Dyess

Hamilton

Billups

Zoo Crew #2

-----------

Johnson

Maxiell

Sharpe

Stuckey

Afflalo

11 and 12

-------------

Jones - MLE signing.

Samb

Street Clothes

---------------

Ratliff

Hunter

Bynum- Free Agent signing.

One of the stronger free agent candidates on Detroit's summer league roster is point guard Will Bynum.

The 6-foot, 185-pound Bynum signed with the Boston Celtics prior to the 2005-2006 season, but was waived shortly before the season opener. He would later appear in 15 games that season with the Golden State Warriors, averaging 3.6 points on 40.4 percent shooting from the field.

If Bynum plays well this summer, he has a good chance of entering training camp as the team's No. 3 point guard behind Chauncey Billups and Rodney Stuckey.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/07/pistons_will_use_summer_league.html