RSS Feeder

Tigers from 1968 World Series honored

Tigers from 1968 World Series honored

Posted by Scott McNeish on Tue, 24 Jun 2008 23:30:00 EDT.

The Tigers honored the 40th anniversary of the 1968 World Series team with a 15-minute pregame ceremony at Comerica Park. Eighteen members of the team attended Tuesday's game, including a rare public appearance from Denny McLain.

More...

Boy, that was cool seeing all of my old heroes together again. They were the first group I really idolized. It was even good seeing Denny again and he's the poster boy for bleepholism.

I saw the group photo of the '68ers on the front page of one of the Detroit papers. I was surprised to see McL there. Wonder what kind of reaction he got from the crowd.

I saw the group photo of the '68ers on the front page of one of the Detroit papers. I was surprised to see McL there. Wonder what kind of reaction he got from the crowd.

He got a warm reception. Not as big as some of the others, but he generally got cheered. There were scattered boos, but not as much as I thought he would get(or deserved).

I too was surprised to see McClain at the game. We got in the gate at 5:17 and were shut out of receving a free 68 throw back jersey. Never seen such long lines during the regular season. My favorite memory was Lolich throwing out the first pitch and it went right between Freehans legs!! What a great laugh to share with the crowd!!

Anyone care to explain to me what exactly Denny McLain did wrong? Anyone read his books?

Anyone care to explain to me what exactly Denny McLain did wrong?

Drug trafficking, embezzlement, racketeering and some other stuff. His most recent big crime was stealing money from a company pension fund several years ago. He never showed any remorse for anything he did.

Drug trafficking, embezzlement, racketeering and some other stuff. His most recent big crime was stealing money from a company pension fund several years ago. He never showed any remorse for anything he did.

He got really fat too. Does anyone know if Denny weighs more than Lolich now? Bet he does...

Denny drank literally tons of Pepsi.

He got really fat too. Does anyone know if Denny weighs more than Lolich now? Bet he does...

Denny drank literally tons of Pepsi.

Mickey's lost some weight. I bet he weighs less now than his playing weight. Denny's just a fat turd now.

He got a warm reception. Not as big as some of the others, but he generally got cheered. There were scattered boos, but not as much as I thought he would get(or deserved).

Ah, thanks man.

--

Hey, did anyone catch the latest episode of "Tigers Weekly" on FSN Detroit? I was watching yesterday before the game. It was all old footage from '68 and it was AWESOME!!!

It started out with a '68 Tigers preview segment by Ray Lane. Killer footage of those Tigers down in Lakeland. There was some cool game footage of McLain's 30th win and the AL pennant clincher.

The locker room interview segments after the Tigers clinched the AL pennant were sweet. Hilarious too. Lane tried to interview Don Wert, but both of them were bombarded by champagne from off-camera, while a heckler would yell "interview him, interview him". There was also a very bizarre clip of an interview with reliever Daryl Patterson. Man, I think he was hammmmmered!

Of course, the WS stuff is always great to watch. They also showed some victorious locker room interviews conducted by special NBC reporter, Ernie Harwell (I think EH is a better looking dude now than he was then). Plus, there was footage of the team arriving back in Detroit and some downtown victory celebrations.

I'm sure the episode will be on at least once or twice this week before the next episode debuts this Saturday. Check your listings. Definitely worth TiVo'ing or DVR'ing and saving.

Tigers announce 50th anniversary weekend details

DETROIT - The Detroit Tigers unveiled Monday details of their 1968 World Champions 50th Anniversary weekend.

The team also announced that Comerica Bank would sponsor the season-long recognition of the 1968 team, which beat the St. Louis Cardinals to win the World Series. 

The celebratory weekend will run from Sept. 7-9, when the Tigers host the Cardinals.

The full season-long promotional schedule is here. 

I wonder what this team will look like in September. Should be a fun weekend.

I am pumped.....I got my tickets this morning for September 8th!   Don't really care if the Tigers have only won 50 games by then......I'm going to see my childhood heroes.

Maybe spring will be here by then.