JohnJMS

Shoule we have ever invaded Iraq?

It's 2003 - you are POTUS. Having today's info,do you invade Iraq?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. It's 2003 - you are POTUS. Having today's info,do you invade Iraq?

PREFACE: This is purely a question dealing with us looking BACKWARDS to the start of the Iraq invasion and occupation. Please try to keep your answer to the poll in that context. Many of us have a great deal of varying views as to what should be done now and going forward; examples being immediate withdrawal, limited withdrawal, permanent bases, etc…. . But what I’m really interested in and what this particular poll is looking for is what each of us would do if we could really go back in time – knowing all that we know now. That said – the question is:

Knowing what we know now – if you could go back in time to 2003, would you, if you were President of the United States, launch the attack and invasion of Iraq?

no

sold on a pack of lies and going down in the books as one of the worst moments in our history

I didn't think it was a good idea with 2003's information, let alone 2008's information.

Seeing as there are no WMD's, there is no way Iraq or Saddam could have ever posed a threat to the US, therefore no need to invade. Should've kept fighting in Afghanistan to look for the real threat, instead of using it as the warm up to finish daddy's war.

It wasn't a good idea from the outset, in my opinion. Iraq was a country that kept that region stable, due to Saddam's tough talk against Iran.

Now, is it any irony that Iran has become a HUGE issue since Saddam was ousted? Absolutely not. They elected Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to be President, they've made overtures towards Israel, as well as others, and are currently (most certainly) creating a nuke program. Just one of many consequences for our actions (yes, the United States foreign policy does have consequences people!)

Knowing what I know now (and I believed it in the beginning as well), invading Iraq is pretty much the equivalent of taking a baseball bat to a hornet's nest.

Given today's information? Are you kidding? You don't repeat any of the strategic mistakes, you never let L. Paul Bremer anywhere near the place . . . oh, one more thing: You don't pretend WMDs are your primary motivation in a fruitless attempt to win a UN Security Council resolution.

That was the worst mistake of all, and I thought so at the time, long before we ever failed to "find" the WMDs, which wasn't our responsibility in the first place.

Thats right. Our responsibility was to transfer as much wealth as possible to Bush's friends and family, secure his second term, and tie up the oil control.

Mission accomplished indeed.

what's sad is that even knowing what we know today he probably still gets re-elected...god I have so little faith in the American people.

Nope... but I also think the bigger issue wasn't going to war with Iraq, I have always given Bush a pass on that. The bigger issue was the handling of the war in the early and mid stages.

Yes. While the war has been mismanaged, it has concentrated terrorists in one location and we've killed plenty of them. Not to mention that the Islamists behavior during their "rule" of some parts of Iraq has taken some of the sheen off of their image.

cuz you know, the world was just all jiggy with those taliban boys - they were the bomb, dog

I didn't think it was a good idea with 2003's information, let alone 2008's information.

I concur.

Given today's information? Are you kidding? You don't repeat any of the strategic mistakes' date=' you never let L. Paul Bremer anywhere near the place . . . oh, one more thing: You don't pretend WMDs are your primary motivation in a fruitless attempt to win a UN Security Council resolution.

That was the worst mistake of all, and I thought so at the time, long before we ever failed to "find" the WMDs, which wasn't our responsibility in the first place.[/quote']

Right. They should have just said, "Look, our economy is about to collapse if we don't find a quick solution to getting cheap oil. So we're going to invade here and cause hundreds of thousands of deaths, and our economic crisis will have been averted. You don't like it? Shut the **** up. That means you, France!"

And if instead you want to change our nation so that we are not so addicted to oil, you love the terrorists.

Yes. While the war has been mismanaged, it has concentrated terrorists in one location and we've killed plenty of them. Not to mention that the Islamists behavior during their "rule" of some parts of Iraq has taken some of the sheen off of their image.

wouldn't they have done the same thing in Afgh?

Bush only promised to smoke bin laden out. And he did - the dood is not in Tora Bora. If he had promised to find bin laden TC would be crying.

political-pictures-george-bush-lied-towards-you.jpg

No. You see the terrorists were already concentrated in Afgh. We couldn't go there and cause them to be concentrated. For us to concentrate them we had to go somewhere where they were not already concentrated.

Bush was actually pushing for Brazil because he had heard the babes were hot and there was plenty of <ahem> nasal entertainment, if you know what i mean. But Cheney being an oil man...

Honestly, I don't know. You could very well be correct. But I tend to think not as much, because Iraq is of greater religious significance than Afghanistan.

dan - that article makes no sense at all.

It starts out by saying "Is Barack Obama correct when he claims that President Bush lost sight of OBL when military operations shifted to Iraq? Or is OBL dead from liver disease or from the intense bombing of Tora Bora during the Afghanistan offensive? "

Then the author goes on to show that working in Afghanistan now is very tough and there are reasons that make it difficult to find OBL. Yes. We all know that. Obama didn't say, to the best of my knowledge, that finding him was easy. He said that Bush got distracted by Iraq. Your author even confirmed that up front.

But then he concludes that Obama is wrong because finding OBL now is tough. So? He ignores Obamas allegation after stating it pretty well. A major charge of "losing focus due to Iraq" is that there were not enough people to secure Tora Bora. But your author never again mentions Tora Bora after acknowleding that it is an element in the discussion brought up by Obama.

The answer is no, we didn't find OBL, George did lose focus, but he talked tough enough to rally the troops and get re-elected.

You are happy with the war in Iraq - but you do have to acknowledge that it has come with some consequences, don't you?

Honestly, I don't know. You could very well be correct. But I tend to think not as much, because Iraq is of greater religious significance than Afghanistan.

Maybe I missed something, but why do you think this?