nikopolidis

Josh Smith?

3 years 13 mil for Delfino sounds much more reasonable...but makes less sense for why he left except that he just doesn't like the NBA. He could have made close to that much here pretty easily I'd think.

3 years 13 mil for Delfino sounds much more reasonable...but makes less sense for why he left except that he just doesn't like the NBA. He could have made close to that much here pretty easily I'd think.

I am guessing that entire Yahoo article is using dollars and those figures should be in Euro's. That would make all the deals bigger then they appear.

You are correct sir.

http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/newsmanager/anmviewer.asp?a=4901&z=1

ESPN's Mark Stein has reported that NBA execs are far more concerned about the rising strength of the Euro versus the American dollar.

Locally, the Spurs have already lost out on draftee Tiago Splitter, who bolted for more money in Europe.

Now Khimki BC, a team from Russia, signed Carlos Delfino this week, leaving the Toronto Raptors for a nearly 3 million euros annually.

One expert on the matter says that equates to an NBA salary of more than $9 million when you factor in the exchange rate and the tax money Delfino won't have to give back.

The same team is also trying to sign Delfino's former Toronto teammate, Jorge Garbajosa, despite interest from the San Antonio Spurs.

Garbajosa is fresh off securing his release from the Raptors last month after a serious leg injury.

Garbajosa has been rumored to accept a deal from his hometown club in Spain, Unicaja Malaga.

Do you think it would be worth it to package Sheed and Prince for Smith and the rights to Childress? I don't see him staying in Greece more than one year...

I think you might see some NBA players going over there, but that most of them will come back pretty quickly. Heck, you see guys coming back so they can play in the D-League...

Do you think it would be worth it to package Sheed and Prince for Smith and the rights to Childress? I don't see him staying in Greece more than one year...

I don't think that package would get you Smith, much less Childress and Smith. Atlanta may be interested in Billups because of the Woodson connection and the fact that Mike Bibby stinks and they are in need of a PG.

Maybe Billups and Wallace/Prince for those two and sweetener.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/hawks/entries/2008/07/26/switching_lanes.html

Switching lanes

By Sekou K Smith | Saturday, July 26, 2008, 10:11 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

THE BASEMENT - This time a month ago I was busy calculating just how long it might take for the Hawks to wrap up negotiations with both Josh Smith and Josh Childress before putting the finishing touches on the roster in time for training camp.

Little did I know that I’d be sitting here this morning trying to wrap my dome around the fact that there’s a good chance neither Smith nor Childress would be in a Hawks uniform this season.

Childress, of course, is already gone.

Smith, on the other hand, is still in the crosshairs. But it’s not looking good for the Hawks on that front.

There are at least two, blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Hawks are chewing on regarding Smith (one from a Western Conference power and the other from an Eastern Conference big dog) that could dramatically change the landscape in Hawksville.

The “proverbial” ball appears to be clearly in the Hawks’ court regarding both opportunities, and we should presume many more. Because if they are resigned to the fact that they don’t intend to pay Smith a salary commensurate with what he feels he’s worth, then there only recourse is to sign-and-trade him.

The leverage we all assumed the Hawks had with their own restricted free agents went up in smoke last week when Childress bounced.

Anyone that doesn’t think Smith will wait this thing out as long as the Hawks is living in a dream world. If you don’t think he’ll sign a qualifying offer, play out his season and walk next summer as an unrestricted free agent you’re crazy.

If the Hawks want to get anything in return (and keep in mind they get absolutely nothing if he plays out the year and walks, NOTHING), they have to act now.

The tricky thing about sign-and-trades is that all sides not only have to agree on the deal but all three sides want to walk away from the deal the winner (whether it’s acknowledged by others or not).

With one loss already on the books this summer, the Hawks simply cannot afford another.

The Hawks are starting to panic.

They and no one else in the USA wants to pay Smith $12 million a year (I figure he is worth maybe $7 - $8 million a year tops), which Smith's agent feels he is worth.

They are afraid Smith and his agent will pull a FIBA on them just like Childress did.

Who else could it be other than Detroit? Maybe Miami, but I wouldn't consider them a "big dog." Chicago with their own restricted FA problems?

I say no to Josh Smith.

Why, you ask? Because any trade that might cut into Amir Johnson's playing time would be a bad one.

I say no to Josh Smith.

Why, you ask? Because any trade that might cut into Amir Johnson's playing time would be a bad one.

But who are you going to play in the second half when Amir's fouled out?

But who are you going to play in the second half when Amir's fouled out?

I don't think it will matter. If Amir is playing in the first half, the Pistons will undoubtedly be up by at least 35 at halftime.

Pistons say price too high for Hawks' Josh Smith

July 28, 2008

A team source confirmed the Pistons did approach the Atlanta Hawks weeks ago about a possible sign-and-trade deal involving restricted free agent small forward Josh Smith, but said Sunday that the two teams haven't talked in weeks.

Advertisement

The source indicated the Hawks were asking for too much, and both sides walked away from any possible deal.

A blog on the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Web site said that a "Western Conference power and Eastern Conference big dog" have offered deals.

There has been speculation for several weeks that the Pistons would be interested in acquiring someone of Smith's caliber.

Smith, 22, averaged 17.2 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocked shots in his fourth season in the league.

Vince Ellis

Smith and his agent have an extremely inflated view of what Smith is worth. Evidenced by the fact that no one has wanted to pay what they are asking.

$7 - $8 million a year maximum.

Maybe Maxiell for Smith straight up on a sign and trade which could work even with Smith BYC value if he signed for only $7 million or so.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS03/807280364/1051/rss16

Smith and his agent have an extremely inflated view of what Smith is worth. Evidenced by the fact that no one has wanted to pay what they are asking.

$7 - $8 million a year maximum.

Maybe Maxiell for Smith straight up on a sign and trade which could work even with Smith BYC value if he signed for only $7 million or so.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080728/SPORTS03/807280364/1051/rss16

The article says Atlanta wanted to much in a trade, not that Smith wanted to much money. Besides, your price is far to low for someone with his talent and potential.

Smith is as talented (if not more) then Ellis and Bierdins and they both got between $10 and $11 million per year. $10-$12 million for Smith is about right.

The article says Atlanta wanted to much in a trade, not that Smith wanted to much money. Besides, your price is far to low for someone with his talent and potential.

Smith is as talented (if not more) then Ellis and Bierdins and they both got between $10 and $11 million per year. $10-$12 million for Smith is about right.

Smith and his agent have been asking $11 to $12 million a year. That is what they wanted from the 76ers and that is what they are asking from Atlanta. So that means with a sign and trade with the BYC the Pistons couldn't do a trade because Smith's BYC value would be no more than $6 million. So that is about $4 million than Maxiell makes. So we would have to make it Amir and Maxiell for Smith in order for the trade to work. Amir for sure and maybe even Maxiell are better than Smith by themselves.

In my opinion Biedrins is far better than Smith.

Smith is worth maybe $7 to $8 million a year. No more. At say $7 million his BYC would be $3.5 million which is what Amir is making but I doubt seriously that Joe D. would trade our most efficient offensive player, best rebounder and defender for mediocre rebounding under sized PF who can't shoot and whose defense is limited to blocking shots and an occasional steal.

My guess is that he will be with the Hawks at the beginning of the season under the QO amount. He will then test the free agent market next summer.

Smith and his agent have been asking $11 to $12 million a year. That is what they wanted from the 76ers and that is what they are asking from Atlanta. So that means with a sign and trade with the BYC the Pistons couldn't do a trade because Smith's BYC value would be no more than $6 million. So that is about $4 million than Maxiell makes. So we would have to make it Amir and Maxiell for Smith in order for the trade to work. Amir for sure and maybe even Maxiell are better than Smith by themselves.

Smith is worth maybe $7 to $8 million a year. No more. At say $7 million his BYC would be $3.5 million which is what Amir is making but I doubt seriously that Joe D. would trade our most efficient offensive player, best rebounder and defender for mediocre rebounding under sized PF who can't shoot and whose defense is limited to blocking shots and an occasional steal.

My guess is that he will be with the Hawks at the beginning of the season under the QO amount. He will then test the free agent market next summer.

The bolded parts make my eyes bleed.

The bolded parts make my eyes bleed.

I know a good optometrist that can help you out.

Or you can watch the Pistons play this coming year and before mid-season the bleeding will go away.

I wonder if he realizes that he didn't say one thing in this entire post that was true.

Hope I got that new Charmin because this verbal diarrhea is getting really messy! It's all over my cheeks!!

I doubt seriously that Joe D. would trade our most efficient offensive player, best rebounder and defender for mediocre rebounding under sized PF who can't shoot and whose defense is limited to blocking shots and an occasional steal.

Oh my God.

Today: From C. Ford ESPN

1. Josh Smith, Hawks: Smith drew a lot of interest from the Sixers, Clippers and Warriors. However, now that all three teams are out of cap space, he's stuck in the same boat with everyone else. He's a freakish athlete who can score, rebound and block shots. What holds him back is his questionable attitude.

Right now Smith is pushing for a sign-and-trade out of Atlanta. It sounds like the Hawks might be open to such a move, but sign-and-trades are notoriously difficult to pull off.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgents-080629

You guys need to quit quoting him. The 'ignore' feature doesn't filter it out. And he obviously says this stuff to get a rise out of you. He can't possibly be that deluded.