nikopolidis

Josh Smith?

*Keep an eye on the negotiations between the Hawks and forward Josh Smith. Smith is a restricted free agent reportedly seeking a deal that starts in excess of $11 million. Hawks new general manager Rick Sund might not be willing to start a deal at that price. If an impasse occurs, you can bet the Pistons will come asking about a possible sign-and-trade deal.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080623/SPORTS0102/806230382/1127

I think he would be a good option and wouldn't require too much too get him if there are troubles with Atlanta resigning him. It would probably take Tayshaun Prince and a filler to equal the salary of Josh Smith. Josh would be a great fit with the team, even though Pistons getting him seems unlikely.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080623/SPORTS0102/806230382/1127

I think he would be a good option and wouldn't require too much too get him if there are troubles with Atlanta resigning him. It would probably take Tayshaun Prince and a filler to equal the salary of Josh Smith. Josh would be a great fit with the team, even though Pistons getting him seems unlikely.

I don't agree. I think that this could very well happen for a number of reasons.

Right now I put the odds at better than 50% that he is in a Pistons uniform come November 1, 2008.

Smith and Johnson on the same front line. Are you kidding me. Talk about playing above the rim.

Josh_Smith4.jpg

Well of course they would love to get Smith, so would 90% of the NBA.

I don't know if Prince is enough and the Hawks don't need Billups or Rip. Maybe Sheed doesn't make much sense for them. He doesn't put them over the top and they already have huge amounts of cap space free next year. My guess is they would ask for Prince, Amir and a pick maybe? I still might make that deal.

I don't agree. I think that this could very well happen for a number of reasons.

Right now I put the odds at better than 50% that he is in a Pistons uniform come November 1, 2008.

The reason why it seems unlikely is Atlanta gets a shot at signing him. Also, all teams under cap can give him a contract too with a sign and trade. If none of that happens, the Pistons are going to have to emerge as the favorite of multiple teams to get him. There are a lot of buyers who would love Smith. Joe D is going to have to work real hard and still could easily fail to get him. So I guess I'll put the odds at 10%

Pat Sullivan was with the Hawks last year and Dumars still has a close relationship with Woody.

So regarding information about Smith's work ethic, game preparedness and his getting along with his teammates, Dumars now has it first hand from people who have seen it.

Check out this web page from Draft Express April 2005.

Its entitled "High School Phenoms" and Amir, Josh Smith and Bill Walker are among the 9 listed.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/O.J.-Mayo-and-Bill-Walker-High-School-Phenoms-149/

The reason why it seems unlikely is Atlanta gets a shot at signing him. Also, all teams under cap can give him a contract too with a sign and trade. If none of that happens, the Pistons are going to have to emerge as the favorite of multiple teams to get him. There are a lot of buyers who would love Smith. Joe D is going to have to work real hard and still could easily fail to get him. So I guess I'll put the odds at 10%

Your points are all valid, however you forget a couple of people and some history. It is always good to learn and remember history.

Pat Sullivan

Mike Woodson

Relationships in this world are everything. The Hawks and the Pistons have been doing business with one another going back to at least the Sheed trade. So far both sides seem to very happy with the dealings. Remember it was Smith I believe that was taken with the draft choice that we gave the Hawks to get Sheed.

Also Atlanta won't pay what Smith's agent is asking.

People always prefer to do business with someone with whom they have a good working relationship even if they don't get the best deal on the surface. Why because people prefer to do business with people that they trust and are comfortable with. That gives us a big edge in getting Smith.

And here I thought we were looking for a superstar, or at least only talking to teams about their "best player"...

If there's any truth to our interest in Tay for Smith, I'm guessing it's a safety net deal that we could use if we can't get anything better by packaging Tay + Chauncey for a superstar.

And here I thought we were looking for a superstar, or at least only talking to teams about their "best player"...

If there's any truth to our interest in Tay for Smith, I'm guessing it's a safety net deal that we could use if we can't get anything better by packaging Tay + Chauncey for a superstar.

Childress and Smith are both Free Agents. Atlanta could be forced to go over the salary cap limit just by signing Childress and Smith and they have no draft choice this year. They would be over the cap with no draft choices and a very weak bench which would put them is difficult bind going forward.

Decisions have to be made on Josh Smith and Josh Childress and a lineup that remains slightly mismatched.

Rick Sund the new Executive VP GM of the Hawks as some of you might remember was Executive VP and GM for us in the mid 90s when Joe D. was playing for us.

Sund joined the Pistons as Vice President of Player Personnel in the summer of 1995, assuming the title of Executive VP and General Manager of Basketball Operations a year later. The Pistons, winners of 100 games in his first two seasons, participated in the playoffs four times during his Detroit years, where he spent six seasons (1995-2001). He assisted in developing the Pistons in the areas of roster and player development, trades, contract negotiations, player drafts, free-agent acquisitions and other team operations.

So Sund has a relationship with Dumars which could make a difference here.

Smith and Woodson, who just got a two year extension have had their share of differences.

Josh Smith Clashes With Mike Woodson And Is Suspended

"Josh Smith's profanity-laced outburst at the end of regulation of the Hawks' 109-104 overtime loss to Philadelphia on Sunday night could result in the third-year forward being suspended, Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. Smith went back and forth with Woodson on the bench over two plays in the final 40 seconds of regulation that resulted in Woodson telling Smith to hit the showers before the overtime session began. "You've got to be able to control your emotions on our bench," Woodson said after the game, in which the Hawks (28-49) lost a 17-point lead en route to their 11th straight road loss. "He didn't, and I had to send him in [to the locker room], and I'll address it further [today]."

"As the players walked to the bench for the break between regulation and overtime, Smith said he told the coaches that he "wanted that last shot." An argument ensued, and Smith flung his headband to the floor on his way to the locker room."

to Coach, but he just said we'd deal with it [today]," Smith said as he left the Hawks' locker room. "I was upset with myself for taking that jumper instead of backing Andre Miller down. I knew I should have backed him down. So in my mind I wanted to make up for it on that last possession, but Coach called a different play."

So I definitely think Joe might be able to pull off a real good deal to get Smith, if he really wants him.

Would Smith be a problem for Curry? Stay tuned.

As far as getting a teams best player, I think that an argument can be made that Smith or J. Johnson are the best players for the Hawks. Smith needs to improve his outside shot but his game around the basket is very very good.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedition/2008/05/29/schultz.html

http://www.insidehoops.com/sund-hawks-gm-052808.shtml

http://lakers.topbuzz.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-1432.html

Childress and Smith are both Free Agents. Atlanta could be forced to go over the salary cap limit just by signing Childress and Smith and they have no draft choice this year. They would be over the cap with no draft choices and a very weak bench which would put them is difficult bind going forward.

Rick Sund the new Executive VP GM of the Hawks as some of you might remember was Executive VP and GM for us in the mid 90s when Joe D. was playing for us.

So Sund has a relationship with Dumars which could make a difference here.

Smith and Woodson, who just got a two year extension have had their share of differences.

So I definitely think Joe might be able to pull off a real good deal to get Smith, if he really wants him.

Would Smith be a problem for Curry? Stay tuned.

As far as getting a teams best player, I think that an argument can be made that Smith or J. Johnson are the best players for the Hawks. Smith needs to improve his outside shot but his game around the basket is very very good.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/printedition/2008/05/29/schultz.html

http://www.insidehoops.com/sund-hawks-gm-052808.shtml

http://lakers.topbuzz.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-1432.html

The Hawks have no salary cap problems. Signing Smith might put them over this year, but they have huge amounts of money free starting next season. It wouldn't strain them at all to sign him.

As far as getting a good deal cause someone use to work for the Pistons, not a chance. These people are in the ultimate "What have you done for me lately" job. If they do bad, they are fired. If they decide to move Smith, it will be for the best deal out there, and not based on personal relationships.

Buddhafan really needs to stop trying to sound like/come off as an NBA insider .. and just discuss the topics at hand, it'll be less annoying.

Like the D'Train said;

If they decide to move Smith, it will be for the best deal out there, and not based on personal relationships.

Offseason Outlooks

Atlanta Hawks

------------------

Key free agents: Josh Childress ®, Josh Smith ®.

Needs: Center; depth behind All-Star shooting guard Joe Johnson.

Outlook: With coach Mike Woodson signed to a new two-year contract, the Hawks will have to work hard to appease Smith, who has had more than his share of differences with Woodson. Smith is the type of free-agent prize who could draw some creative offers that the Hawks may find tough to match.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/paul_forrester/06/23/team.needs/index.html?eref=si_latest

If they don't sign him, it won't be because they lack cap space. It will be because someone offered much more then he is worth. Just because a team doesn't match an offer, doesn't mean they don't have the space to do so.

If he clashes with Woodson, he doesn't sound like a player that wants to be disciplined - not that we couldn't surmise that from his in-game tendencies anyway.

I really think speculation is pointless because we all know that Joe D's gonna end up making decisions that are fifty times smarter than what anyone here could come up with. For me it's just a matter of sitting back and waiting.

So far no word of the Hawks extending a Qualifying Offer to Smith.

If none is extended, I believe by midnight tonight, then Smith will become an Unrestricted Free Agent, starting tomorrow.

(i) From the day following the Season covered by the second Option Year of a First Round Pick’s Rookie Scale Contract through the immediately following June 30, the player’s Team may make a Qualifying Offer to the player. If such a Qualifying Offer is made, then, on the July 1 following such Season, the player shall become a Restricted Free Agent, subject to a Right of First Refusal in favor of the Team (“ROFR Team”), as set forth in Section 5 below. If such a Qualifying Offer is not made, then the player shall become an Unrestricted Free Agent on such July 1.

Smith's Qualifying Offer amount is $3.2 million.

The Hawks may not extend a Qualifying Offer because Smith is asking something like $11 million a year for a new contract and Smith has not gotten along with Woodson who just got a two year contract extension.

I think that the only reasons that the Hawks would extend a Qualifying Offer is if they think

1. That they can do a sign and trade with him or

2. If they feel that Smith may not get that large an offer as an Restricted Free Agent one that the Hawks would feel comfortable matching; i.e. not $11 million

and

3. The Hawks don't feel that the Smith - Woodson differences will be a problem going forward.

I think it would be harder for us to acquire Smith if he becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent.

http://www.nbpa.com/cba_articles/article-XI.php

2. Josh Smith, Hawks: On talent and potential, Smith should be on top of this list. He's a freakish athlete who can score, rebound and block shots. What holds him back is a questionable attitude. Nonetheless it appears the Hawks have to re-sign him.

Given the Hawks' ownership woes, Smith is one of the few restricted free agents a team with cap space may try to pluck away -- the same way the Hawks did with Joe Johnson a few years ago. I could see the Sixers making a run at him.

I think if we want him we have a lot better shot than Philly does at getting him primarily because of the Atlanta - Detroit connection and because if Philly signs it would be as a free agent whereas we can give Atlanta Sheed and lots of cap space in 2009-10.

Dumars, Sund, Woodson and Sullivan.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgents-080629

I really think speculation is pointless because we all know that Joe D's gonna end up making decisions that are fifty times smarter than what anyone here could come up with. For me it's just a matter of sitting back and waiting.

This is the same guy who has decided that he hates our draft picks until he sees otherwise on the court. I know it probably doesn't fit the actual definition or irony, but it could definitely make it into an Alanis Morrisette song.

Josh Smith set to meet with 76ers

By MARTIN FRANK • The News Journal • July 2, 2008

The 76ers apparently aren't wasting any time in going after Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith.

Advertisement

A source close to the Sixers said Tuesday night that Smith is scheduled to meet with the team today in Philadelphia. Smith is a restricted free agent, meaning the Hawks can match any offer for him.

The Hawks have said they plan to do just that. But the Sixers are actively pursuing the 6-foot-9 forward, anyway. They have about $11 million in salary cap space, and they can make it difficult for the Hawks to match.

Teams were allowed to begin negotiating with free agents Tuesday. While they can verbally agree on a deal, it won't become official until July 9. If the Sixers make Smith an offer, the Hawks would have seven days to match or let him go.

Smith, 22, would fit in nicely with the Sixers' running style of play. He averaged 17.2 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocked shots per game last season. He is known as a tremendous athlete and would give the Sixers a dynamic front line with Samuel Dalembert and Thaddeus Young.

The source also said the 76ers are hoping to bring in Josh Childress, Smith's teammate, at some point this week. The 6-8 Childress, also a restricted free agent, averaged 11.6 points and 4.9 rebounds per game off the bench last season.

But Smith obviously is the more attractive of the two.

The 76ers reached out to Andre Iguodala and Lou Williams, their own restricted free agents, at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, as soon as the free agency period began. The Sixers can match any offers for the two players, and they have said they plan to do so.

In other news, the Sixers hired former general manager John Nash as a pro personnel scout. Nash, who was New Jersey's GM from 1996 to 2001, gave current Sixers president and GM Ed Stefanski his first NBA job when he hired him as the Nets director of scouting in 1999.

Contact Martin Frank at 324-2805 or mfrank@delawareonline.com.

All indications are that Philly is where he will go or possibly remain in Atlanta. The 76s with AI #2, Smith, Miller, Young and Dalembert will be darn good

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080702/SPORTS03/807020367/1023

NBA Rumor Mill: Josh Smith to Detroit?

9450202_grizzlies_v_hawks_article.jpg

It's early in free agent season and most NBA teams are looking to find that one guy who can carry their team to a NBA Title.

The Pistons are one of those teams. After having a less-than-impressive draft, possibly because they don't need to fill any voids, the Pistons are scanning the free agent market to pick up a All-Star type player.

Enter Josh Smith, a 6'9" forward who can almost do everything. He can block shots with the best of them, play the post quite well, and dunk over anybody he wants to.

Smith is just what the Pistons need.

Keep an eye on the negotiations between Smith and the Atlanta Hawks. Smith wants to start negotiations at $11 million per year, but Hawks GM Rick Sund isn't all that willing to start at such a high price. If Atlanta dosen't want to talk with Smith, don't be surprised if the Pistons ask to sign-and-trade.

Smith met with the Philadelphia 76ers on July 3rd, who are interested in the All-Star as well. Chances are that by the end of free agency, Smith is either a part of the Atlanta Hawks, Philadelphia 76ers or the Detroit Pistons.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/34752-nba-rumor-mill-josh-smith-to-detroit

Smith leaves Philly without an offer

By TOM MOORE

Bucks County Courier Times

Josh Smith left Philadelphia for Atlanta on Thursday morning, apparently without an offer from the Sixers.

A Sixers source said there was “no news today.”

The Sixers are expected to offer as much as $66.7 million over five years, with a first-year contract of $11.5 million.

Since Smith is restricted, the Hawks would have seven days to match once Smith signs the offer sheet.

The Sixers spent Wednesday giving Smith, a restricted free agent, a tour of the city, the Wachovia Center and taking him out to dinner.

Team president Ed Stefanski didn't respond to questions via e-mail.

The Sixers are also planning to bring Atlanta reserve forward Josh Childress to town next week. Childress is also a restricted free agent.

click here!

A Los Angeles Times report Thursday said the Sixers “are also expected to enter the competition for [Elton] Brand's services, creating a potential bidding war for the All-Star forward.”

However, the Sixers could not offer Brand, an unrestricted free agent, as much as the Clippers (a reported $70 million over five years) or Warriors (a reported $90 million for five). The $66.7 million is the most the Sixers have available, unless they can work out a sign-and-trade with the Clippers for Brand.

Smith has several related problems to his game, that I personally don't think make him worth $66.7 million. My guess is that $50 million or so for 5 years would be tops

1. He has no outside game

2. His ball handling is average at best

3. Because of #1 and #2 above Smith can not play SF very effectively and is therefore relegated to playing the #4

4. He is only an average rebounder for a PF.

I don't think Joe D. would pay much over $50 million for Smith but one never knows.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/100-07042008-1558683.html

Sixers getting in position to lure Brand from West Coast

With much of the league's other significant free-agent business seemingly on hold while the Brand saga plays out, sources maintain that the Sixers also remain highly interested in Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith. Yet it appears that Philadelphia will give itself every opportunity to emerge as the unlikely winner of the Brand sweepstakes before deciding whether to sign Smith to an offer sheet that the Hawks would have seven days to match.

Full article on link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3477424

Smith's Relationship With Woodson Still An Issue

Jul 16, 2008 11:37 AM EST

The relationship between Josh Smith and Mike Woodson is beyond repair, according to sources and could make the forward's return to Atlanta problematic.

Because the Clippers dealt for Marcus Camby, Smith doesn't have very many remaining options in restricted free agency and could elect to accept the one-year tender

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53611/20080716/smiths_relationship_with_woodson_still_an_issue/

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53675/20080720/smith_irked_by_lack_of_offer_not_woodson/#

Smith Irked By Lack Of Offer, Not Woodson

Josh Smith's increasing reluctance to return to the Atlanta Hawks has little to do with Mike Woodson, despite repeated media suggestions that Smith is eager to play for a new coach.

Smith and Woodson have a fine working relationship, one confidante insists. Smith's frustration with the Hawks is the slow-moving state of negotiations, with Smith apparently still waiting for a serious contract proposal nearly three weeks into free agency.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Apw79AEVSJBVoOAC717iejm8vLYF?slug=aw-childressgreece072108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Childress weighing offer from Greek team

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 7 hours, 8 minutes ago

LAS VEGAS – In a potentially stunning move that reflects the growing challenge Europe’s basketball leagues pose to the NBA, Atlanta Hawks free-agent forward Josh Childress is strongly considering a three-year, $20 million offer from Greek powerhouse Olympiakos, several league sources said Sunday night.

Childress flew to Greece late Sunday and is scheduled to meet with Olympiakos officials on Monday. Childress, 25, is so flustered with the Hawks’ refusal to make a sign-and-trade deal to another team, one source familiar with his thinking believes there’s “better than a 50-50 chance” he’ll sign with Olympiakos. The team also will cover the Greek taxes for Childress, making it even more lucrative.

“Unless he just gets there and doesn’t like it at all, I think he’s going to go,” one league source said.

Childress is a restricted free agent, but the Hawks would have no matching rights with a FIBA contract. Olympiakos’ offer also would allow Childress the opportunity to return to the NBA over the next two summers. The Hawks would maintain his restricted free-agent rights provided they make him a qualifying offer.

Childress’ talks with the Hawks have yet to gain traction because Atlanta officials have made it clear their first priority is to resolve negotiations with forward Josh Smith, their other restricted free agent. Privately, Childress has expressed little enthusiasm in returning to play for the organization, sources said.

The Memphis Grizzlies are the only remaining team with enough salary-cap room to make an offer exceeding the $5.6 million mid-level exception, and they so far seem content on saving their money for next summer. Several NBA GMs interested in Childress said they wouldn’t make a mid-level offer to him because they believe the Hawks would match.

Childress’ agent, Lon Babby, has instead looked to Europe to create leverage for his client, a unique approach that would have seemed unlikely as recently as three years ago. The U.S. dollar’s declining value compared to the Euro, coupled with the influx of money from Russian owners into the Euroleague, has now made Europe a much more attractive option for players.

Already this summer, the San Antonio Spurs’ 2007 first-round draft pick, Tiago Splitter, rejected an offer to join the NBA franchise because he can make more money by remaining in Spain. Toronto Raptors free agent Carlos Delfino signed a three-year, $13.5 million deal with Khimiki of Moscow. Juan Carlos Navarro of the Grizzlies returned to Spain for a reported five-year contract with FC Barcelona that could pay more than $20 million.

Even so, Childress, who averaged 11.8 points and 4.9 rebounds per game last season, would send far greater waves through the NBA should he leave for the Euroleague. He would be the kind of coveted, young American talent who hadn’t previously left the NBA for Europe. Childress, 6-foot-8, played his college ball at Stanford, and is believed to have the international curiosity and maturity it might take to leave the NBA behind for a year.

If Childress joins Olympiakos then chooses to return to the NBA in either of the next two summers, he’ll likely be entering a more lucrative free-agent market than the current one.

If Childress decides against taking Olympiakos’ contract, the team is expected to turn to New Jersey Nets free agent Bostjan Nachbar.

– NBA editor Johnny Ludden contributed to this story.