DaYooperASBDT

Dusty Ryan

I see Mr. Ryan is showing some serious pop so far in 2008. Any chance

he could be a backup catcher option next year? How's his defense?

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about him considering all the attentioin Wilken Ramirez is getting.

Four SeaWolves Named to 2008 EL All-Star Game

FAN SELECTIONS –

Fans of each Eastern League club voted for one pitcher and one position player for the All-Star Game. The position player selected by the SeaWolves faithful is catcher Dusty Ryan and the pitcher is right-handed reliever Casey Fien.

C – DUSTY RYAN – Dusty has been one of the most dominant catchers in the league this season and has helped the SeaWolves to the best caught-stealing percentage in the league (52.2 percent). Dusty is the team leader and is tied for fifth in the league with a career-high 13 home runs. In 58 games, Ryan is batting .273 with 12 doubles, a triple and 40 RBI (Team RBI leader). He is in his first season with the SeaWolves and is playing in his fifth in pro ball. Dusty was tabbed as the best defensive catcher in the Tigers organization following the 2007 season by Baseball America. Ryan was the Tigers 48th round selection in the June 2003 draft out of Merced Junior College (CA). He joins Max St. Pierre and Mike Rabelo as former Erie catchers to be named to the EL mid-summer classic.

http://www.seawolves.com/seawolves-news/2008/07/four-seawolves-named-to-2008-el-all-star-game

I was reviewing Dusty's numbers for the season and I must confess..what a great year...not only is he htitng for power but he's walked 36X and the level of consistency he is demonstrating is making me ask...does he make the 2009Tigers??

At least as a backup if not more..I've never seen him play so I will defer to others..he must have some quality defensive skills, he was named best defensive catcher in the system by BA for 2007.

Micro, Ed..whats the verdict..is he a late blooming asset..or Mike Rivera..

Dusty is having a healthy year for a change. It shows in his increased performance. Kid has the tools when he is feeling good.

I am actually from Erie so I spend a lot of time watching Dusty. He has an amazing arm on the defense level and knows exactly what to tell the pitchers to throw. He also has a hot bat right now. I think he is on pace for at least 20 homers within the 5 weeks that are left. For being his first year in AA ball is a doing well. I look for him to be a late call up in September. He deserves it more than anyone on the C-wolves!!!

Welcome Howlergirl! Something tells me I know where you were last night. Glad you found us. Keep us in the loop on what is happening in Erie. We need some full time folks keeping us ontrack.

Keep looking around and join in the MTS fun.

Welcome Howler girl. Snap some local games for us and post in the photo thread. You will be an immediate hit. If you can't figure it out, ask any of us who post there. Instant messages are great

I will for surely add pics when I get a free min. I have some pics from Akron on Tuesday that I need to upload and I am going to Cleveland tommorrow. So i will get right on it!!

Dusty got the call to AAA Toledo last nite after this game winning in the top of the 10th in Akron and the Pudge trade! Toledo was short a catcher, so they decided that he was ready for the job to SHARE the time with Max St Pierre!! And this may be his ticket for the September call up to D-town!! :glasses:

Dusty got the call to AAA Toledo last nite after this game winning in the top of the 10th in Akron and the Pudge trade! Toledo was short a catcher, so they decided that he was ready for the job to SHARE the time with Max St Pierre!! And this may be his ticket for the September call up to D-town!! :glasses:

They usually call up an extra catcher, especially this year, I think. I think they might call him up before then, if he hits at AAA. He's on the radar for next year, methinks.

HOORAY FOR DUSTY...WM Season ticket holders & your Host Family will see you tonight in Toledo! WAY TO GO, DUSTY !!

How was Toledo?? I know he didnt play. But I bet he was so happy to be up!! :glasses: Also what is his #??? There is no record of it anywhere!!

I thought we didn't have any catching prospects, I'm confused. This kid sounds to be .. just that, so why am I confused? Is this year a fluke - what?

Dusty has not been on anyone's prospect list so far. This year he has been healthy and proving his worth. (This is not to insult his past performances, just nothing extraordinary.)

Thanks for the heads up Huey=)

It's weird, and I wasn't even kidding here either. I just assumed, from what I have read here, that we didn't have much of any catching prospects.

I hope this kid can keep it up!