JohnJMS

The Official DFA RODNEY NOW thread

He had a good season - save wise. Way better season overall than last year. But as usual, he puts too many guys on base (I'm not talking about tonight's game). Rodney creates his own troubles a lot of the time. He had a run of good luck this season that kept all those runners he put on base from scoring in key situations. But sooner or later, if you keep on doing that, you will implode as a closer. It's too bad we don't have a year left on his contract because now we might actually have gotten something in return for him in a trade. I just hope we don't overpay and resign him. I'd like to have a closer that doesn't have an ERA over 4 for a change.

I have doubts we'll resign him, but overall an excellent body of work this season.

Just maybe he'll give a hometown discount considering how many chances Detroit

has given Fernando to establish himself.

Wouldn't the Tigers be rather foolish to NOT offer Rodney arbitration? So if they fail to re-sign him they should at least get some compensation, no?

Or is he still not a Type A or B FA? Either way I've always thought Rodney was a good to great pitcher when healthy. I would hate to let him walk.

I would definitely offer him arb, but he may decide to try to "cash in" on his strong 2009 performance. He's no spring chicken and has an injury history, so I would say offer arb but do not sign him to a multi-year deal unless it's incredibly cheap dollar-wise.

Of all the players to get rid of, Rodney would be one of the last on my list. I thought he did great this year. Isn't that what the numbers say? Zumaya would have been garbage as a closer, and remembering who used to close games gives me diarrhea.

I had zero confidence in Rodney being the closer when the season started. By the end of the season I had 100 percent confidence. He made me eat a lot of crow this year. And, honestly, it was well worth it.

Great season Rodney.

Please. Enough is enough. If we ever see consistency from this guy, I'll eat my Tigers hat.

Rodney sometimes is bad and sometimes comes through. What happened last night was not his fault. Simple plays could have been made to prevent those runs. Such as Rayburn's Catch, Polanco's double play ball.

I would definitely offer him arb, but he may decide to try to "cash in" on his strong 2009 performance. He's no spring chicken and has an injury history, so I would say offer arb but do not sign him to a multi-year deal unless it's incredibly cheap dollar-wise.

+1

Wouldn't the Tigers be rather foolish to NOT offer Rodney arbitration? So if they fail to re-sign him they should at least get some compensation, no?

Or is he still not a Type A or B FA? Either way I've always thought Rodney was a good to great pitcher when healthy. I would hate to let him walk.

I think he's a Type B, right? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Of all the players to get rid of, Rodney would be one of the last on my list. I thought he did great this year. Isn't that what the numbers say? Zumaya would have been garbage as a closer, and remembering who used to close games gives me diarrhea.

Oh, no. Please Titus, no gif for this post, OK? :classic:

I didn't say I would eat my hat if Fernando Rodney was consistant --- few players can have as consistant year ad F-Rod did