JohnJMS

The Official DFA RODNEY NOW thread

I actually agreed with this post in its entirety until the last 2 sentences, which are both flatly untrue, IMO.

High priced late inning relievers are the biggest waste of money possible. The truly valuable ones rarely are allowed to hit the market (Nathan, Rivera). Teams like the Angels don't make many mistakes in personel, especially when it's a home grown player. 15MM for 4-5 season for F-Rod will turn out to be a misuse of resources. If he was the last piece and the payroll was small, then it is discussable, but it's not. Bullpens typically are assembled on the cheap..

Fernando Rodney 2008: 4.76 ERA 1.34 WHIP

Fernando Rodney Post All Star Break 2008: 3.32 ERA 1.21 WHIP

Octavio Dotel 2008: 3.88 ERA 1.22 WHIP

Octavio Dotel 2008 Post All Star Break: 6.75 ERA 1.05 WHIP (6 home runs in 13 ip being the cause of this discrepancy)

I disagree that Rodney has not been good this year, he was awful immediately after coming off the DL, and I certainly feel that much like Zumaya he was rushed back, but since then he's been similarly effective as 'Free Agent The Tigers Should Have Signed If Dumbrowski wasn't so Dumb Dumbrowski' Octavio Dotel.

Overall Rodney's numbers are pretty average for a reliever, so certainly I agree we shouldn't be counting on him as a closer next year or anything, but DFAing him would be insane, and I think their is a good chance that he can be just as effective as a high priced free agent signing next season.

If you look at what you have

I wonder what the chances of Nate Robertson being an effective closer...

With closing who knows, I really thought Rodney would be horrible

...and he has been okay

I will give Fernando some credit here. When he's going good he's absolutely dominating and fun to watch. When he's struggling... I have to turn off the TV. The Tigers shouldn't just drop Rodney, but they should look to move him regardless of how well or bad he pitches for the rest of the season. He's too unreliable (from a health standpoint and his complete lack of consistency) for the Tigers to depend on him in the future in any releif capacity.

High priced late inning relievers are the biggest waste of money possible. The truly valuable ones rarely are allowed to hit the market (Nathan, Rivera). Teams like the Angels don't make many mistakes in personel, especially when it's a home grown player. 15MM for 4-5 season for F-Rod will turn out to be a misuse of resources. If he was the last piece and the payroll was small, then it is discussable, but it's not. Bullpens typically are assembled on the cheap..

Why do you think it is a waste of money, because it is hard to find a pitcher who is worth what they get?

I would say if you could pigeon hole the Tiger's season, it would come down to effective relief pitching --- from both dugout. (From memory) I would say that many of our victories came when we (our hitters) got to the other team's bullpen --- more so than their starters.

and victors came when our bullpen shut down the opposition for three-four innings

Why do you think it is a waste of money, because it is hard to find a pitcher who is worth what they get?

I would say if you could pigeon hole the Tiger's season, it would come down to effective relief pitching --- from both dugout. (From memory) I would say that many of our victories came when we (our hitters) got to the other team's bullpen --- more so than their starters.

and victors came when our bullpen shut down the opposition for three-four innings

I think the point is that spending $15 million on a pitcher that is only going to give you 60-70 innings a year is a waste of money, and I'd agree with that 110%. You'd be better off going for a Sabathia for just $5 million more and getting another 150-160 innings out of it. Closers are the most ridiculously overpaid players in baseball.

Sell high? Selling high on Rodney would have been after his 2006 season. I don't think the Tigers would get good value in a trade for Rodney at the moment. Keeping Rodney is a better move. He still has the potential to be a good late inning reliever again.

I don't understand this intense focus on Rodney's performance. The whole bullpen has been HORRIBLE! For instance, why is there no "DFA ZUMAYA NOW!!!" thread. He looked worse than Rodney, imo. It's not like cutting or trading Rodney would improve the bullpen.

I agree 100% with this

DD simply must stop hoping to asssemble a bullpen on the cheap and invest money in proven late inning relievers. That's the only way the bullpen will improve.

I disagree mostly with this.

I believe that the Tigers are going to have to more-than-league-average money on at least one new reliever for 2009, but it doesn't have to be a big-money closer, per se.

It's always been my impression that good bullpens are not typically built with big $$$, except for maybe the top guy or two. Even then the big money guys are usually someone that became a good closer and got the big $$ from the same team (Minnesota, New York Yankees, Angels, Chisox).

Zumaya or Rodney may yet become the big-money closer for the Tigers, although I tend to think that we'll have to get someone from another organization to fill the closer role.

A quick look at the top 5 bullpens in the ML in terms of ERA this year show that only Philadelphia and Tampa Bay have more than one FA acquisition who is performing at a high level -- Philadephia with Brad Lidge and JC Romero, and Tampa Bay with Dan Wheeler and Troy Percival -- but both teams have been very lucky in terms of getting out-of-nowhere all-star performances from Chad Durbin (Phi) and Percival.

I'm not convinced Rodney is a closer, but damn it all, he's certainly

a keeper. I don't understand the desire to trade him, when we are

desparately thin in this department already. He'll always have value

as a setup/middle reliever, at the least.

Trade option

outfielder?

Firstbaseman?

...relief pitcher...o wait, Rodney is a relief pitcher

Indeed - there is no way we should be looking to trade any potential bullpen strength.

Rodney would be a great trade candidate because some GM's would fall in love with his 97 mph fastball and great change and ignore the fact he can't throw either one of those for strikes, consistently. Oh, that's what DD has done. Sorry.

Please. Enough is enough. If we ever see consistency from this guy, I'll eat my Tigers hat.

the last two times rodney has gotten the job done

but I would hardly say he has been lights out

eathat1.gif

but when is the bowler buffet

Please. Enough is enough. If we ever see consistency from this guy, I'll eat my Tigers hat.

Clearly

your hat is safe for another season --- probably life

I will say that they should never put Rodney in the pressure spot of closer

Well now we can see if anyone is enough of a sucker to pick up Rodney in a trade. We could always use more practice balls.

One thing's for sure - at least DD made it clear he's going outside of the org to find his closer - thank God.

I especially enjoyed Rodney's consistent September.

9 Innings - 13 hits, 10 walks, 6 runs (I didn't check how many inherited runners scored) to go with his 10 K's.

All that to go with his season long save % of 68%. To the Rodney lovers - some closer guys!

What a mess this head case is.

As Library Monkey said, I'm glad I never had to eat my hat - but then again, I was never really worried. :wink:

Can't stand Rodney. My most optimistic thoughts for the offseason have him leading the exodus of all relievers (aside from Seay as a LOOGY) out of the bullpen.

I've never thought of Rodney as a closer, too much of a head case. But he does excel when throwing 2 or 3 innnings of middle relief. He's still a keeper.

Well now we can see if anyone is enough of a sucker to pick up Rodney in a trade. We could always use more practice balls.

One thing's for sure - at least DD made it clear he's going outside of the org to find his closer - thank God.

I especially enjoyed Rodney's consistent September.

9 Innings - 13 hits, 10 walks, 6 runs (I didn't check how many inherited runners scored) to go with his 10 K's.

All that to go with his season long save % of 68%. To the Rodney lovers - some closer guys!

What a mess this head case is.

As Library Monkey said, I'm glad I never had to eat my hat - but then again, I was never really worried. :wink:

But you thought he was going to play a LOT worse, didn't you?

eathat1.gif

I've never thought of Rodney as a closer, too much of a head case. But he does excel when throwing 2 or 3 innnings of middle relief. He's still a keeper.

Putting him as a closer, kept JohnJMS

from some Chappeau Chowder

I thought F-Rod had a pretty good season... Consistant --- in a good way ---- if you will

eathat1.gif

I'll be sad to see him leave. He got a lot of crap, but he had a nice season for the Tigers. He's always been a good pitcher when he's healthy. He'll make a nice set up man on a playoff contender next season.

Tip of the hat to Rodney, perhaps his last game as a Tiger and as frustrating as he was at times he got the outs they needed almost all of the time. Even tonight he had some rough luck behind him.

All in all he had a very good season. Tonight wasn't his fault - he was the victim of some poor fielding and was asked to go way above and beyond his normal outings.