JohnJMS

The Official DFA RODNEY NOW thread

coastersm.gif

Librarymonkey...

I think this is your best Gif ever!!!

And I don't actually like your gif's a whole lot (too creepy!!!)... but this one is GOOD!!!

Rodney drives me straight up the wall. But there is no disputing that he is our most talented

and effective relief pitcher at the moment.

You could make an argument for Seay, but apparently he has shot one of Leyland's dogs

again, so Bobby isn't worth discussing.

He's pitching fine now that the season is over. When we REALLY needed him, he completely sucked.

He's pitching fine now that the season is over. When we REALLY needed him, he completely sucked.

Well, I'm sure that's because he lacks guts, not because he was rushed back from injury by a desperate team

Headlines should read:

LUCKY BOUNCE SAVES RODNEY

So much for the astounding 2 week streak.

I heard he blamed it on a tummy ache. :cry:

Who wants to bet that Mr. Peanut Brittle doesn't make it to the end of the season without visiting the DL again?

Admittedly, Rodney not at his best last night

But

He got the job done --- Again.

how well does Rodney have to pitch and for how long

before you do a little chapeau chow down

??

eathat1.gif

Admittedly, Rodney not at his best last night

But

He got the job done --- Again.

how well does Rodney have to pitch and for how long

before

Longer than 2 weeks.

And INGE got the job done. He bailed Rodney out. If that ball hadn't karoomed off the the right back to him, that wild pitch would have equaled his 5th blown save. Do you realize that the most saves any pitcher has blown this year is SEVEN??? And Rodney has been closing for only a tiny bit of this season and nearly had FIVE after last night???

When are YOU going to realize that Rodney will never be a consistent closer? The guy has a whopping 6 saves to his 4 Blown Saves.

Nice ratio.

Longer than 2 weeks.

And INGE got the job done. He bailed Rodney out. If that ball hadn't karoomed off the the right back to him, that wild pitch would have equaled his 5th blown save. Do you realize that the most saves any pitcher has blown this year is SEVEN??? And Rodney has been closing for only a tiny bit of this season and nearly had FIVE after last night???

When are YOU going to realize that Rodney will never be a consistent closer? The guy has a whopping 6 saves to his 4 Blown Saves.

Nice ratio.

Be fair, now. Two of those blown saves came when he wasn't closing, and thus couldn't have earned a save at all. It's a stupid statistic.

Be fair, now. Two of those blown saves came when he wasn't closing, and thus couldn't have earned a save at all. It's a stupid statistic.

You say it's a stupid stat. However, it doesn't change the fact that he had those crummy performances. The fact that he couldn't earn a save and blew it anyway is even WORSE. Using that as a defense isn't a strong point.

You say it's a stupid stat. However, it doesn't change the fact that he had those crummy performances. The fact that he couldn't earn a save and blew it anyway is even WORSE. Using that as a defense isn't a strong point.

I think his point is that Rodney, as a closer, has 6 saves and 2 blown saves since he inherited the closer's job. That still isn't a good percentage, but it is better than it first appeared.

How is the fact he couldn't earn a save and blew it anyway is worse? I think those two blown saves where he couldn't earn a save meant he lost the lead in the 7th or 8th inning, rather than the 9th. How many times did he maintain the lead and not get credit for a save in the set-up role?

I think his point is that Rodney, as a closer, has 6 saves and 2 blown saves since he inherited the closer's job. That still isn't a good percentage, but it is better than it first appeared.

How is the fact he couldn't earn a save and blew it anyway is worse? I think those two blown saves where he couldn't earn a save meant he lost the lead in the 7th or 8th inning, rather than the 9th. How many times did he maintain the lead and not get credit for a save in the set-up role?

I'm not exactly sure how the Blown Save stat works. In the above situation I assume that he came into a game where it wasn't a save situation, as the lead was too great - yet he still managed to give up enough runs to blow the lead. I could be wrong.

I don't know how many times he didn't blow a lead (code for - did his job). All I can judge is the number of times he didn't do his job.

Hey, if you think he's good, that's your prerogative. I don't.

How many times did he maintain the lead and not get credit for a save in the set-up role?

Those are called holds. :grin: And he has 5 of them.

I am praying some other GM sees value in Rodney's cheap salary and teasingly good stuff. Sell high!! This story is getting old.

Sell high? Selling high on Rodney would have been after his 2006 season. I don't think the Tigers would get good value in a trade for Rodney at the moment. Keeping Rodney is a better move. He still has the potential to be a good late inning reliever again.

I don't understand this intense focus on Rodney's performance. The whole bullpen has been HORRIBLE! For instance, why is there no "DFA ZUMAYA NOW!!!" thread. He looked worse than Rodney, imo. It's not like cutting or trading Rodney would improve the bullpen. DD simply must stop hoping to asssemble a bullpen on the cheap and invest money in proven late inning relievers. That's the only way the bullpen will improve.

Sell high? Selling high on Rodney would have been after his 2006 season. I don't think the Tigers would get good value in a trade for Rodney at the moment. Keeping Rodney is a better move. He still has the potential to be a good late inning reliever again.

I don't understand this intense focus on Rodney's performance. The whole bullpen has been HORRIBLE! For instance, why is there no "DFA ZUMAYA NOW!!!" thread. He looked worse than Rodney, imo. It's not like cutting or trading Rodney would improve the bullpen. DD simply must stop hoping to asssemble a bullpen on the cheap and invest money in proven late inning relievers. That's the only way the bullpen will improve.

I actually agreed with this post in its entirety until the last 2 sentences, which are both flatly untrue, IMO.

I'm not exactly sure how the Blown Save stat works. In the above situation I assume that he came into a game where it wasn't a save situation, as the lead was too great - yet he still managed to give up enough runs to blow the lead. I could be wrong.

I don't know how many times he didn't blow a lead (code for - did his job). All I can judge is the number of times he didn't do his job.

but for the record, in your mind is there something Rodney can do, that would prove he is pitching well.

If the point is just to bash Rodney

under any circumstance, why title the thread: " The Official DFA RODNEY NOW thread"

why not call it "I HATE RODNEY AND NOTHING HE CAN DO OR YOU CAN SAY THAT WILL CHANGE MY MIND"

I keep wondering what Rodney has to do to constitute success. If you are always going to include times when he was bad, and not give him credit for turning that around, you not only aren't being fair...you are being stubborn

and if you are going to chew up the cap

will you put a picture on MTS

eathat1.gif

From Wikipedia.org: "A blown save (abbreviated BS or B) is charged to a pitcher who enters a game in a situation which permits him to earn a save (a 'save situation'), but who instead allows the tying run to score."

I believe a pitcher entering the game in the 7th or 8th with a lead less than 4 runs is entering in a "save situation", even if the common practice is to have a 9th inning closer. Conversely, it reads as though one can't get a blown save if they never had a save situation to begin with (i.e. one pitcher gives up 5 runs in ninth in a 4 run game).

I probably should go through retrosheet, but I am fairly certain 2 of his blown saves were before the ninth inning, rather than him blowing a huge lead in the ninth.

Oh, for everyone, and hopefully the last time, I do not think Rodney is good. I just try to be even handed in my appraisals of players. A lot of people have dumped on Fernando. I understand it and would grant it is largely deserved. *BUT*, just because someone isn't doing particularly well doesn't mean we should either completely discount his contributions or overstate how bad he has been.

Virtually all, if not all, of my support for Rodney has been based in my wanting to accurately state his performance rather than my thinking he is good or has done well. Overall, Rodney has done poorly this year - no question.

Oh, for everyone, and hopefully the last time, I do not think Rodney is good. I just try to be even handed in my appraisals of players. A lot of people have dumped on Fernando. I understand it and would grant it is largely deserved. *BUT*, just because someone isn't doing particularly well doesn't mean we should either completely discount his contributions or overstate how bad he has been.

Virtually all, if not all, of my support for Rodney has been based in my wanting to accurately state his performance rather than my thinking he is good or has done well. Overall, Rodney has done poorly this year - no question.

This is the part I don't understand --- Not from Mr. Bigglesworth, but the Rodney haters.

He is not Marino Rivera, dare I say --- he might not even be sTODDgy Jones. And I agree he has been bad, but when someone is getting the job done consume your chapeau!

Fernando Rodney 2008: 4.76 ERA 1.34 WHIP

Fernando Rodney Post All Star Break 2008: 3.32 ERA 1.21 WHIP

Octavio Dotel 2008: 3.88 ERA 1.22 WHIP

Octavio Dotel 2008 Post All Star Break: 6.75 ERA 1.05 WHIP (6 home runs in 13 ip being the cause of this discrepancy)

I disagree that Rodney has not been good this year, he was awful immediately after coming off the DL, and I certainly feel that much like Zumaya he was rushed back, but since then he's been similarly effective as 'Free Agent The Tigers Should Have Signed If Dumbrowski wasn't so Dumb Dumbrowski' Octavio Dotel.

Overall Rodney's numbers are pretty average for a reliever, so certainly I agree we shouldn't be counting on him as a closer next year or anything, but DFAing him would be insane, and I think their is a good chance that he can be just as effective as a high priced free agent signing next season.