JohnJMS

The Official DFA RODNEY NOW thread

2 weeks does not a closer make.

But alas, my biggest fear might come true. That is, Rodney, just like last year, puts it together for one month when it's obvious we are out of contention, thereby validating the hopes and dreams of his supporters that he will somehow achieve his potential, and the Tigers for some wacky reason keep him for next season.

I don't care about the hopes and dreams of his supporters but I do care what Leyland and DD think of him. He has had 4 good games, big whoop. I still hope they don't bring him back next year. Spend the money on someone else.

2 weeks does not a closer make.

But alas, my biggest fear might come true. That is, Rodney, just like last year, puts it together for one month when it's obvious we are out of contention, thereby validating the hopes and dreams of his supporters that he will somehow achieve his potential, and the Tigers for some wacky reason keep him for next season.

Two weeks?

He has been like this since the allstar break.

and to be honest I am not sold that this is not an anomaly, but I am enjoying it while it last. He is about the only reliever that doesn't make me cringe when Leyland puts him in

where is the DFA FARnWORTHless thread

ridemrodney.gif

I don't care about the hopes and dreams of his supporters but I do care what Leyland and DD think of him. He has had 4 good games, big whoop. I still hope they don't bring him back next year. Spend the money on someone else.

Sabretooth posted this last night

Rodney since the ASB:

17 IP

8 hits

5 runs

11 BB

26 SOs

LIGHTS OUT!

http://motownsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1597743&postcount=3

I think that is more than four games --- so big whooopeeee

What money? He doesn't cost much at all and is probably as effective a reliever you get for that much money.

Inherited runners? Hit batsmen? Blown saves?

The actual good stretch is only 4 games.

He's actually stranded 11 of the 14 runners he's inherited this year.

I'd still rather they get someone else. If they bring him back Leyland will continue to use him in high-leverage situations and he is just too wild. Last night's back-to-back pitches of hit batter (3 feet inside) and wild pitch (3 feet outside) are a perfect example. A relief pitcher who can't command his fastball is not what I want.

I'd still rather they get someone else. If they bring him back Leyland will continue to use him in high-leverage situations and he is just too wild. Last night's back-to-back pitches of hit batter (3 feet inside) and wild pitch (3 feet outside) are a perfect example. A relief pitcher who can't command his fastball is not what I want.

And then he followed up with a strikeout and popout. His stuff is dominating and 90% of the time he has enough control to get by at the very least.

I see no reason to move him. His value is low and he won't bring much back. All it does is open up a spot in the pen for Freddy Dolsi or something anyway.

I thought he was an FA after the season, but it looks like he is already under contract for next year. Darn.

Edit: actually he is arb-eligible.

2008 Detroit Tiger relief pitcher expected wins added ranking:

# NAME TEAM LG YEAR G IP WX WXL WXR WXRL LEV
1. Bobby Seay DET AL 2008 45 42.3 0.718 0.838 1.038 1.121 1.22
2. Zach Miner DET AL 2008 38 75.3 0.489 0.582 0.903 0.973 0.97
3. Freddy Dolsi DET AL 2008 33 38.7 0.405 0.502 0.878 0.921 1.43
4. Todd Jones DET AL 2008 45 41.7 0.021 0.181 0.632 0.830 1.15
5. Casey Fossum DET AL 2008 20 26.0 0.159 0.230 0.312 0.376 0.89
6. Fernando Rodney DET AL 2008 24 27.3 -0.261 -0.132 0.186 0.295 1.59
7. Clay Rapada DET AL 2008 15 14.7 0.237 0.265 0.281 0.275 0.54
8. Gary Glover DET AL 2008 1 1.0 0.111 0.133 0.127 0.142 2.33
9. Denny Bautista DET AL 2008 16 19.0 -0.044 -0.056 0.114 0.126 0.79
10. Francis Beltran DET AL 2008 9 10.3 -0.006 0.027 0.038 0.064 0.48

This is a pretty accurate assessment of my opinion of Fernando Rodney.

This is the perfect example of a MTS thread

started in a somewhat knee jerk fashion, then (slightly) ignored by the starter when things go contrary to his belief

then people agree with the premise post a lot of smak, that is more based on what they want to belief, than what is to be the fact

if your mind is closed, you can find truth on the inside

if your mind is open, you will find truth on the outside

2008 Detroit Tiger relief pitcher expected wins added ranking:

# NAME TEAM LG YEAR G IP WX WXL WXR WXRL LEV
1. Bobby Seay DET AL 2008 45 42.3 0.718 0.838 1.038 1.121 1.22
2. Zach Miner DET AL 2008 38 75.3 0.489 0.582 0.903 0.973 0.97
3. Freddy Dolsi DET AL 2008 33 38.7 0.405 0.502 0.878 0.921 1.43
4. Todd Jones DET AL 2008 45 41.7 0.021 0.181 0.632 0.830 1.15
5. Casey Fossum DET AL 2008 20 26.0 0.159 0.230 0.312 0.376 0.89
6. Fernando Rodney DET AL 2008 24 27.3 -0.261 -0.132 0.186 0.295 1.59
7. Clay Rapada DET AL 2008 15 14.7 0.237 0.265 0.281 0.275 0.54
8. Gary Glover DET AL 2008 1 1.0 0.111 0.133 0.127 0.142 2.33
9. Denny Bautista DET AL 2008 16 19.0 -0.044 -0.056 0.114 0.126 0.79
10. Francis Beltran DET AL 2008 9 10.3 -0.006 0.027 0.038 0.064 0.48

This is a pretty accurate assessment of my opinion of Fernando Rodney.

Did Logic*Man create that for you

Jones is ahead of Fossum (and Rodney), can't have much faith in that creation

In the last month I would much rather have Rodney or Fossum on the mond

coastersm.gif

No, I got it from baseball prospectus.

It's for the whole season -- - I am guessing --- Jones was fairly good in the beginning of season (at least statistically) and Rodney was not

I believe this thread was started with the premise that Rodney would never be consistent

so far --- since the allstar break --- I think he has been

Rodney drives me straight up the wall. But there is no disputing that he is our most talented

and effective relief pitcher at the moment.

You could make an argument for Seay, but apparently he has shot one of Leyland's dogs

again, so Bobby isn't worth discussing.

Rodney drives me straight up the wall. But there is no disputing that he is our most talented

and effective relief pitcher at the moment.

You could make an argument for Seay, but apparently he has shot one of Leyland's dogs

again, so Bobby isn't worth discussing.

and as much as I believe this

tomorrow Rodney could be throwing the ball over the back stop

but now is the time to ride the horse that is winning

RidemRodneysm.gif

this may turn into a "Nook Logan once at a full horse for lunch" thread.

Fernando Rodney brokered the cease fire between Georgia and Russia.

started in a somewhat knee jerk fashion, then (slightly) ignored by the starter when things go contrary to his belief

then people agree with the premise post a lot of smak, that is more based on what they want to belief, than what is to be the fact

Wow, I've never seen you just brush aside so many people so quick. You are full of all the facts, and any fact or stat that is shown to dispute you is suddenly based on 'what people want to believe'.

I could say something like "A typical librarymonkey thread - his pictures may be cute and fun, but they don't make up for the lack of substance.".

But I won't.

I completely disagree. Although JohnJMS and I don't have the same feelings on the subject, John has still posted in here when Rodney has done well.

About Rodney..he looks the best he has all year. I would continue to put him in high pressure situations whether it is at a 4 or 5 out closer, or a set up man..

Per 100 opponent at-bats, which is Rodney in 2006 and which is Rodney in 2008?

AB H 2B 3B HR BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS
100 17 6 0 3 17 33 0.173 0.311 0.327 0.637
100 20 3 0 2 13 25 0.196 0.306 0.300 0.606

Zumaya and Rodney should be given every chance possible to be impact pitchers for this team.

I completely disagree. Although JohnJMS and I don't have the same feelings on the subject, John has still posted in here when Rodney has done well.

Not sure how you can 'completely' disagree. I admit that John has participated in this forumn, it has been less enthusiastic than when hitters were lighting up Rodney. My point was not to single out just the person who started this thread, and maybe I wasn't clear on that, but to say there are too many knee jerk threads here --- often started by people who do not follow them up.

About Rodney..he looks the best he has all year. I would continue to put him in high pressure situations whether it is at a 4 or 5 out closer, or a set up man..

and if they continue to do this, I think there is a chance that Rodney might implode --- but until he does - - I will continue to suggest a fine Chianti that goes well with a well worn Detroit hat

Please. Enough is enough. If we ever see consistency from this guy, I'll eat my Tigers hat.

All that said, if I was too hars on JohnJMS, I apologize

Not sure how you can 'completely' disagree. I admit that John has participated in this forumn, it has been less enthusiastic than when hitters were lighting up Rodney. My point was not to single out just the person who started this thread, and maybe I wasn't clear on that, but to say there are too many knee jerk threads here --- often started by people who do not follow them up.

Misread your post, my apologies.

I see no reason to move him. His value is low and he won't bring much back. All it does is open up a spot in the pen for Freddy Dolsi or something anyway.

Quite right. Rodney seems to have the arrogance a closer requires. You can see it in his stance and his eyes when he takes the mound. He's had pretty good command of his stuff lately, too. Seems it was just a matter of confidence for the young man with the cockeyed brim.

That said.....I say keep him at closer. Groom Dolsi or Zoom just in case (esp. for another injury next year), but pay ALOT more attention to the starting pitching, where we're clearly hurting.