JohnJMS

The Official DFA RODNEY NOW thread

You don't DFA Rodney, by the way, but he sure is hell isn't a MLB Closer. This guy tenses up when the wind changes direction.

No he's probably not a closer. He pitched well under pressure in '06 but that throw to first in the series showed he gets a little wound up. Problem is who closes? I'd say Jones and Seay for now. Maybe Fien? At this point it's worth the shot. Can't lose all these late inning games especially when you get a performance from Galarraga tonight.

No he's probably not a closer. He pitched well under pressure in '06 but that throw to first in the series showed he gets a little wound up. Problem is who closes? I'd say Jones and Seay for now. Maybe Fien? At this point it's worth the shot. Can't lose all these late inning games especially when you get a performance from Galarraga tonight.

Fien is worth another look for sure, always been a Fien supporter.

I think we've reached the point where closer by committee is the only option, then we address it in the off-season. Tonight, Leyland tried to 'overmanage' imo by bringing Seay out to get his 'closer' in. Seay was looking sharp, and that's an understatement.

Fien is worth another look for sure, always been a Fien supporter.

I think we've reached the point where closer by committee is the only option, then we address it in the off-season. Tonight, Leyland tried to 'overmanage' imo by bringing Seay out to get his 'closer' in. Seay was looking sharp, and that's an understatement.

It's probably not a good idea to have one guy closing, unless it's Jones again and he's 100 percent healthy. Zumaya, Rodney, Farnsy, and Seay will have to share and Leyland will have to go with the hot hand but you need more than just a closer at this point. Might as well give Fien a chance, Dolsi is not good at all.

Also someone should have got up throwing after Rodney hit a guy in the chest. I mean, yeah we all know when Rodney is bad he's real bad by now. He had no control over the fastball at all.

You can all apologize to John now.

That'll never happen. Rodney could blow 10 straight saves, kill a batter with one of his wild fastballs, and Tigersrok would still deflect it to the 'rest of the bullpen' somehow.

That'll never happen. Rodney could blow 10 straight saves, kill a batter with one of his wild fastballs, and Tigersrok would still deflect it to the 'rest of the bullpen' somehow.

Didn't Farnsworth give up 3 runs (on 2 homers) in an inning? Rodney wasn't the only reliever responsible for the loss today.

Didn't Farnsworth give up 3 runs (on 2 homers) in an inning? Rodney wasn't the only reliever responsible for the loss today.

Well goodie. When Farnsworth has had an equal amount of crummy games as Clodney, I'll be for DFAing him too.

Oh, and I didn't say Seay should close. I'm not saying the rest of the bullpen is full of great talent. But you have to start making changes somewhere, and Rodney has been the worst of the bunch. Let's start there and agree that other changes need to take place in the bullpen.

You can't DFA Dolsi. He's just not quite ready, yet. There's still potential. Rodney has been playing this game for four or so years.

You can't DFA Dolsi. He's just not quite ready, yet. There's still potential. Rodney has been playing this game for four or so years.

I think Dolsi has options left anyway.

Rodney clearly gets too jittery to be counted upon in the 9th, I do

understand that clearly now. But I still think he could be useful as

a setup man. Thus any calls to cut him are pure overreaction, despite

the huge turd he laid this afternoon.

There's absolutely no difference in pressure between closing and coming into the game in the 7th or 8th.

I found out earlier this year that there is such a thing as a closer mentality, and that last year's best reliever (Betancourt) doesn't have it (in addition to having a down year across the board, he's sucked supremely in save situations). I guess Rodney doesn't have it either. Joel seems to, though, and someday soon, maybe by opening day 2009, he'll be our regular closer.

There's absolutely no difference in pressure between closing and coming into the game in the 7th or 8th.

I disagree. Statistically, there might not be a difference. Just get your 3 outs and get out of the inning. But mentally, it's a whole different arena, and as Yogi once told us, "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

I think the Jones/Rodney saga has really showed me a lot about how difficult it is to find a guy with the precise makeup to be a closer. My recipe is now listed this way: He needs to have decent velocity (sorry, Jonesy). He needs to get ahead of hitters and throw strikes (sorry, Rodney). And more than anything, he needs to keep his wits about him, no matter what.

You can option him, though.

That said, his stuff isn't half as filthy as Rodney's. When right, Rodney has two legit swing and miss pitches, and one of those pitches is one of the most lethal changeups in the AL (well, it's really a screwball). Dolsi has an exceedingly straight fastball, a work in progress slider, and no control. Rodney's got the stuff and not the location. Dolsi has neither. He has potential for stuff and potential for location, but he sure does bounce a lot of pitches so you wonder how good his location is ever going to get.

but Rodney hasn't been really good in either role since 2006. He recently had a few good games in the 8th inning role but for the past two years he has been very erratic even in the 7th or 8th inning role.

but Rodney hasn't been really good in either role since 2006. He recently had a few good games in the 8th inning role but for the past two years he has been very erratic even in the 7th or 8th inning role.

He's never been as wild as he has been, lately. I think he's choking. If the Indians didn't swing this week, I don't think he would have thrown 1 out of 5 strikes. Today was a train wreck. Losing streak, long flight home, nice comeback with the team counting on him and he didn't have a clue. Seay stepped up. Rodney just wanted to dig a hole and hide.

I disagree. Statistically, there might not be a difference. Just get your 3 outs and get out of the inning. But mentally, it's a whole different arena, and as Yogi once told us, "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

I think the Jones/Rodney saga has really showed me a lot about how difficult it is to find a guy with the precise makeup to be a closer. My recipe is now listed this way: He needs to have decent velocity (sorry, Jonesy). He needs to get ahead of hitters and throw strikes (sorry, Rodney). And more than anything, he needs to keep his wits about him, no matter what.

I was being sarcastic, that's why it was in magenta. I agree with you.

I was being sarcastic, that's why it was in magenta. I agree with you.

doh! Color-coded cynicism! I'll remember that for next time. In retrospect, I guess that did seem like too easy of a pitch to hit.

He's never been as wild as he has been, lately.

He was very wild when he first came off the DL too. I know not everyone can close but lots of guys can and do close successfully. Every year, several closers get hurt and teams are able to find replacements. Jones is not special.

Please. Enough is enough. If we ever see consistency from this guy, I'll eat my Tigers hat.

When do you putch spicy mustard on that hat? I know it is soon, but Rodney continues as he has for the past couple weeks ----- would you say the end of the year we see a picture of you chowing down?

rodneytiphat.gif