Kdoogie24

Red Wings Draft Goaltender - Thomas McCollum

Dan Cloutier was placed on waivers by L.A. Kings yesterday. Between Lidstrom firing slapshots from center ice repeatedly in practice and Osgood one-upping him with long-shot stories over a beer, Detroit may be a place where Cloutier could overcome any mental issues lingering from April 2002.:wink:

Cloutier is done. He wasn't even good when sent down to the minors to figure out his game He's also carrying a contract that will still count for $1.5M against the cap next year. The Wings hit on picking up Brad Stuart from the Kings last year but don't count on it happening again with Cloutier. He's horrible. Worse than how horrible the entire Kings franchise has been and we all know how bad that is.

EDIT: The Kings have just bought out Cloutier and he'll count for $1M in dead cap space for the next two seasons. More genius from this great franchise. I don't believe he'll cost anything like the $1.5M that I mentioned above for the team that makes the mistake of signing him to a deal.

Cloutier is done. He wasn't even good when sent down to the minors to figure out his game He's also carrying a contract that will still count for $1.5M against the cap next year. The Wings hit on picking up Brad Stuart from the Kings last year but don't count on it happening again with Cloutier. He's horrible. Worse than how horrible the entire Kings franchise has been and we all know how bad that is.

EDIT: The Kings have just bought out Cloutier and he'll count for $1M in dead cap space for the next two seasons. More genius from this great franchise. I don't believe he'll cost anything like the $1.5M that I mentioned above for the team that makes the mistake of signing him to a deal.

Nobody thought too highly of Legace back then, either. I'm also saying that Cloutier is the type that would be perfect for the Wings. They don't need a backup per se, just someone who would put some pressure on Howard, who has been known to let his conditioning slip.

Cayer's a nice little player....I saw him workout at Clarkson once last fall when he was on campus as part of the recruiting process. He can move around the ice well, has pretty good vision, soft hands, and a deft touch around the net.....if he's got even a fraction of his brother David's grit, he could be a very nice player.

Cayer's a nice little player....I saw him workout at Clarkson once last fall when he was on campus as part of the recruiting process. He can move around the ice well, has pretty good vision, soft hands, and a deft touch around the net.....if he's got even a fraction of his brother David's grit, he could be a very nice player.

I'm sure you'll see plenty of Nyquist and Nicastro, who's committed to Boston University. The Wings drafted another Clarkson player last year, Bryan Rufenach in the fifth round. I think you're seeing a trend with the Red Wings, last year I heard Nill talking about the advantages of taking college players right now is more than Euros, since they get their rights for four years.

Ruf is a raw kid, but he's got some talent on the back line. I like what he brought to the table, and with a strong summer of work, he could be ready to sign next spring after the college season is done.

Here's what Clarkson Coach George Roll had to say about Cayer when the announced the Class of 2012....

The younger brother of David Cayer, Julien (7/6/89) is a 6-3, 185-pound left wing who played the past two seasons at Northwood Prep. A native of Longueuil, QUE, he scored 24 goals and 32 assists for 56 points in 43 games this past season. “Julien is following in his brother’s footsteps,” remarked Roll. “Once he grows into his body, I think he will be an extremely exciting college player. He has very good hands and shoots the puck like a pro. Julien has very good skills, but also competes at a very high level. We are excited to have another Cayer on the team now that David is leaving.”

Was David Cayer ever drafted? He's quite small.

I don't believe he was drafted. He was much more the all out, grind type player, but he had some skill behind it....just not enough to really make a go of a pro career.

http://www.redwingscentral.com/stories/2008_06/23_Samuelsson.php

At last, a Swedish super set-up man

By Matthew Wuest - RedWingsCentral.com / June 23, 2008

Hakan Andersson counts himself lucky for making the trip to Norrkoping, Sweden, to watch Jesper Samuelsson play before Christmas. If he had waited until after, Samuelsson might not be a Detroit Red Wings draft pick today.

The Red Wings selected Samuelsson with the last pick in the NHL draft on Saturday at 211th overall. He scored 20 goals and added 42 assists for 62 points in 40 games at Sweden's third level last season with Hasten, the same team in Norrkoping that produced another Mr. Irrelevant, Jonathan Ericsson.

Andersson, the Red Wings' director of European scouting, said Samuelsson collected two-thirds of his points in the first half of the season.

"At Christmas, he got a new coach, who is known to be a bit of an idiot," Andersson said. "At mid-season, Samuelsson, who was by far the leading scorer on the team and league, wouldn't even get on power plays.

"I know two other scouts went to watch him, but they did it late in the year, and so what they saw probably didn't impress them much."

What Andersson saw in Samuelsson against low-level competition was, first and foremost, a terrific playmaker with impressive hockey sense. The 20-year-old, unknown and ignored in the past two NHL drafts, has an uncanny knack for finding the open man, skills that were lost on some of his teammates.

"If he played with a good winger, he could have had another 30 points," Andersson said. "There were times he'd make plays and his winger wasn't even close to being ready for the puck. He'd be looking somewhere else with his stick up in the air and there was the puck, in front of him, and the net was wide open."

None of Samuelsson's other skills will knock you off your feet, but Andersson said his "skating is fine" and his "hands are good."

The biggest concern is size. Andersson called the 5-foot-11 center weak and said he likely isn't more than 170 pounds. Andersson also said Samuelsson just found out in October he has gluten intolerance, which causes weight loss.

"He told me, 'I work out for months and I feel good, then all of a sudden my stomach goes bad and I lose all my weight,'" Andersson said. "He's had that problem for years, and now they finally gave him a good diagnosis. They tell me if you know you have it, it's no problem. We hope he can put on weight."

Andersson has unearthed some solid prospects at Sweden's third level, a circuit scouts rarely bother to watch. Ericsson actually played for Hasten's junior team in his draft year, but Dick Axelsson and Johan Ryno are products of the league, as are former prospects Mikael Johansson and Johan Berggren.

Samuelsson is saying goodbye to the team and league he has called home his entire career, having signed with Timra of the Swedish Elite League. Timra, it just so happens, is the same team that produced Henrik Zetterberg.

Andersson said the jump is "going to be overwhelming, it doesn't matter what you do in the summer," but it's a jump Samuelsson has to make.

Fabian Brunnstrom went from an unknown at Sweden's third level to the Swedish Elite League and became one of hockey's most coveted prospects overnight. But Brunnstrom was 22, and Samuelsson just turned 20 two weeks ago.

Still, Andersson hopes he has found another late-round gem.

"I don't see any big flaws with him," Andersson said. "He needs to fill out and play hockey at a higher level to improve. It's a tremendous jump. He has to adapt (to the tempo and the strength). I can't tell you if that takes two months or a year and a half. With his smartness, I think he's going to be able to play."

http://www.redwingscentral.com/stories/2008_06/23_Samuelsson.php

At last, a Swedish super set-up man

By Matthew Wuest - RedWingsCentral.com / June 23, 2008

Ha, I love this line.

"At Christmas, he got a new coach, who is known to be a bit of an idiot,".

One unimportant question: if there are 7 rounds and 30 teams, why is the final pick of the draft #211 not #210?

I don't know. But the Wings have had great success at that part of the draft recently, getting Jonathon Erickson at 211 and Zetterberg at 210.

Hahaha!

Andersson you dirty dog!!! I'll bet you stole another top-flight future NHL star from right under everyone's noses (or, actually, not... rather, hidden in the depths of the Swedish third-tier league...)! With just a little more digging than anyone else...

Hakan, you are INVALUABLE to the Red Wings!!!

Samuelsson will be interesting to watch develop...! I am a definite admirer of hidden gems! And those who unearth them...

I wanted to come back to this thread after spending the weekend at Clarkson for some games this past weekend. I got a chance to see Bryan Rufenach and Julien Cayer in action for both games of the weekend.

Rufenach - Kid's a player. He's huge on the ice, skates extremely well, passes well out of his zone, wasn't out of position once in two games and he was seemingly always on the ice for the Knights. His slap shot on the power play lacks accuracy, but its a rocket, and his wrister was absolutely lethal. He showed a physical side during critical moments of the game, and was the clear blueline leader for Clarkson. I'll be surprised if he stays all four years at the rate he is developing. He looked more promising than both Willie Mitchell and Kent Huskins (both solid NHL D-men) when they were sophomores at Clarkson.

Cayer - Wasn't as easily apparent on the ice as Rufenach was, but he flashed his skills. As you would expect with a young player like Cayer, he was inconsistent, but he showed some good speed for such a big forward, a nice wrister, and a willingness to charge the net on the rush. He looked out of position some in his own zone, but that could be inexperience. I think he'll need at least two years before he's ready to turn pro, but there's the potential for a power forward type with a nice touch around the net.

Thanks Micro,

I might as well throw in a little update with McCollum, ive seen him play a few times this year.

He is big, quick, and like others have said, has a nice glove hand. He has fit in very nicely since moving to Brampton, they have a very strong team over in the Eastern Conference and are a true contender with their talented forwards (Hodgson-Grachev-Dushene). Since he was shelled at the World Juniors, McCollum has responded and kept Brampton near the top of the standings, the only goalie with better numbers is Mike Murphy from Belleville. Right now, McCollum is sporting a 2.14GAA with a .927 sp%, his win loss record for the year is now 28-15-2-2, about half that record was spent with a less talented Guelph team. He also leads the league with 6 shutouts. Im expecting to see him in GR next year, but with the Wings goaltending situation, you never really know how they are going to play their hand.