Kdoogie24

Red Wings Draft Goaltender - Thomas McCollum

1st Round, 30th Overall

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/player.php?id=4518

TSN Draft Center : "A very good goaltender for the Guelph Storm. He started slowly, but really picked it up. He's got a great glove and great rebound control."

They let Yzerman read out their pick, and being from the Ottawa area, he got a nice long ovation.

I'm surprised they went with a goaltender, but at this point, I trust anything and everything they decide to do in the draft.

I'm surprised they went with a goaltender, but at this point, I trust anything and everything they decide to do in the draft.

That was my feeling as well.

I'm always surprised when teams take a goalie in the 1st round, because they normally take years to develop.

The thing that surprises me is the Wings taking one when they have two young goaltenders waiting in the wings in Jimmy Howard and Daniel Larsson. Both are considered good prospects. Howard is expected to be up next season and back up Ozzie and Larsson was the best goalie in the Swedish Elite League as a 20-yr old.

The thing that surprises me is the Wings taking one when they have two young goaltenders waiting in the wings in Jimmy Howard and Daniel Larsson. Both are considered good prospects. Howard is expected to be up next season and back up Ozzie and Larsson was the best goalie in the Swedish Elite League as a 20-yr old.

I generally think a team should pick the best player possible, regardless of position, because it will take 3-5 years for even a 1st rounder to make the bigs, and who knows what the NHL team will look like at that time. However, seems a bit harder to showcase non-NHL goalie as trade bait as it does prospects at other positions.

I generally think a team should pick the best player possible, regardless of position, because it will take 3-5 years for even a 1st rounder to make the bigs, and who knows what the NHL team will look like at that time. However, seems a bit harder to showcase non-NHL goalie as trade bait as it does prospects at other positions.

True enough. I'm not going to seriously question this pick as I'm sure they're going to find a forward in the sixth round who's going to develop into a 30-goal, Selke Trophy candidate and McCallum is going to develop into a Vezina Trophy candidate. :lick: So, I'm not worried about it.

Bummer for those kids who showed up but didn't get picked tonight. Come back tomorrow for the 2nd round? One thing Don Cherry is right about is that if your child isn't a surefire early round pick, don't come with him on the 2nd day, it will be too painful if he doesn't get picked. Cherry says that in past years when it comes to the 10th round or something some GMs will look around and draft some guy in the stands just so he doesn't have to take the disappointing walk of shame out of there.

Bummer for those kids who showed up but didn't get picked tonight. Come back tomorrow for the 2nd round? One thing Don Cherry is right about is that if your child isn't a surefire early round pick, don't come with him on the 2nd day, it will be too painful if he doesn't get picked. Cherry says that in past years when it comes to the 10th round or something some GMs will look around and draft some guy in the stands just so he doesn't have to take the disappointing walk of shame out of there.

Sounds like a good reason to go...

Sports Illustrated called it:

Mock draft: Red Wings looking to grab goaltender in first round

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES • June 20, 2008

Sports Illustrated's Allan Muir recently posted his most recent NHL Draft projections. He predicted the Red Wings would look to add depth to its goaltender position in the first round. Below is his write up for the current Stanley Cup Champions:

30. Detroit Red Wings:

Thomas McCollum, goaltender, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Central Scouting says: "[His] number one attribute is his net position -- it's second to none. There are rarely any holes and he has a great butterfly. When he is challenging and at the top of his game, he is very tough to beat. He has good net coverage and he is very competitive. He handles the puck well. He is definitely one of those franchise-type of goalies in the future."

Our take: There's a chance the Wings could go for a high upside European like Swedish center Anton Gustafsson or Tier 2 center Zac Dalpe, but a lack of netminding depth in the system makes McCollum a value choice. The top-rated netminder by Central Scouting, he's earned comparisons to Ed Belfour, thanks to his competitiveness and his dedication to his craft.

My take: I think this pick makes sense. What if one of Howard or Larssen gets injured? There just isn't enough depth in the Org at G, IMO. Well, now there might be. I think this was a need pick more than anything... and I will give it my 84 Lives!!! stamp of approval!!! :grin: PS: Whatever happened to Liv? Why isn't he a part of our Org anymore?

The top-rated netminder by Central Scouting, he's earned comparisons to Ed Belfour, thanks to his competitiveness and his dedication to his craft.

Belfour, eh. So will McCollum ever offer Holland and Babcock ONE BILLION DOLLARS to let him make the team?!

Valor, good point about pity-partying your way to being selected, ha.

Sports Illustrated called it:

Mock draft: Red Wings looking to grab goaltender in first round

FREE PRESS STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES • June 20, 2008

Sports Illustrated's Allan Muir recently posted his most recent NHL Draft projections. He predicted the Red Wings would look to add depth to its goaltender position in the first round. Below is his write up for the current Stanley Cup Champions:

30. Detroit Red Wings:

Thomas McCollum, goaltender, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Central Scouting says: "[His] number one attribute is his net position -- it's second to none. There are rarely any holes and he has a great butterfly. When he is challenging and at the top of his game, he is very tough to beat. He has good net coverage and he is very competitive. He handles the puck well. He is definitely one of those franchise-type of goalies in the future."

Our take: There's a chance the Wings could go for a high upside European like Swedish center Anton Gustafsson or Tier 2 center Zac Dalpe, but a lack of netminding depth in the system makes McCollum a value choice. The top-rated netminder by Central Scouting, he's earned comparisons to Ed Belfour, thanks to his competitiveness and his dedication to his craft.

My take: I think this pick makes sense. What if one of Howard or Larssen gets injured? There just isn't enough depth in the Org at G, IMO. Well, now there might be. I think this was a need pick more than anything... and I will give it my 84 Lives!!! stamp of approval!!! :grin: PS: Whatever happened to Liv? Why isn't he a part of our Org anymore?

wow...Allan Muir isn't the complete idiot he usually comes off as...then again, probably just dumb luck

...PS: Whatever happened to Liv? Why isn't he a part of our Org anymore?

If I remember correctly, in a nutshell, he didn't want to play in Grand Rapids and we let the rights expire. I'll look it up just to make sure.

Yeah, Liv went back to Sweden I think.

And the Wings will still sign a veteran goalie to compete with Howard for the backup role. Holland and Babs like Howard but want to make him earn the spot in training camp.

And the Wings will still sign a veteran goalie to compete with Howard for the backup role. Holland and Babs like Howard but want to make him earn the spot in training camp.

Likely, but I don't see them going overboard for one. Likely someone who would be happy to play in GR.

The thing I like about McCollum is that he's a little older, so he's got one more year of Jr's left before likely heading to GR for a couple of years.

They could also package Howard to the Sabres for Ryan Miller. Miller and Osgood would make a great tandem for a team that's set to win now.

They could also package Howard to the Sabres for Ryan Miller. Miller and Osgood would make a great tandem for a team that's set to win now.

That's kind of like packaging Shawn Burr for Wayne Gretzky.

That's kind of like packaging Shawn Burr for Wayne Gretzky.

Actually Shawn Burr would have been an improvement over some of the immortals in that trade of Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, Jason Miller, Martin Rucinsky and Nick Stajduhar

Dan Cloutier was placed on waivers by L.A. Kings yesterday. Between Lidstrom firing slapshots from center ice repeatedly in practice and Osgood one-upping him with long-shot stories over a beer, Detroit may be a place where Cloutier could overcome any mental issues lingering from April 2002.:wink:

Cloutier makes alot of sense. Similar circimstances to when the Wings picked up Manny Legace.

1 30 DET THOMAS MCCOLLUM Dec 7, 1989 AMHERST, NY US 6' 2" 205 OHL GUELPH G

3 91 DET MAX NICASTRO Mar 2, 1990 THOUSAND OAKS, CA US 6' 2" 189 USHL CHICAGO D

4 121 DET GUSTAV NYQUIST Sep 1, 1989 HALMSTAD SE 5' 10" 169 SWE-JR. MALMO JR. C

5 151 DET JULIEN CAYER Jul 6, 1989 LONGUEUIL, QC CA 6' 4" 186 HIGH-NY NORTHWOOD SCHOOL C

6 181 DET STEPHEN JOHNSTON Feb 24, 1990 GUELPH, ON CA 6' 1" 175 OHL BELLEVILLE LW

7 211 DET

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=DraftStats&year=2008&round=All&team=DET&position=All&supl=N