fyrftrjim

2008 Daily Star Articles

New owner of Tigers to face tall task in Oneonta

A call came from Eugene Miles Prentice III at about midnight Tuesday, thus ending perhaps the longest game of phone tag in communications history.

Since the announcement of the Oneonta Tigers' sale last Tuesday, a week's worth of "You get to back to me" or "I'll get back to you" messages went back-and-forth between this paper and Prentice.

During my nearly hour-long conversation with the pending owner of the O-Tigers, we talked about the future of the franchise, Prentice's love of baseball, Damaschke Field, selling beer, his relationship with current O-Tigers owner Sam Nader, his failed attempts to buy major-league teams and our shared hatred of communism (I'm not sure how that came up).

I got the impression that Prentice will give an honest effort to keep minor league baseball in this area for the foreseeable future.

One of my first questions to Prentice: "So you want to make a go of it in Oneonta?"

He responded: "Correct. (Moving teams is) not my M.O., but I have investors, so what I have to try to do is make it successful."

I was also left thinking his attempt to get backsides into the bleachers at Damaschke Field will fail and force the team to move. When that end will come, be it two years, five years or longer, is anyone's guess.

That Prentice is a major part of this equation seems odd in the first place.

The same guy who led a group that put in a $790-million bid to buy the Boston Red Sox in 2002 is inches from owning the Oneonta Tigers?

That's like going from a new Lamborghini to a matchbox car.

But this 65-year-old New York City lawyer is a crossed ÂT' here and a dotted ÂI' there from adding the O-Tigers to the list of professional sports teams he owns. The others are the Huntsville Stars, a Double-A team he's owned since 2002 that plays in the Southern League; the Midland RockHounds, a Double-A team in the Texas League he's owned since 1990; and the Odessa Jackalopes, a minor league hockey team in the Central Hockey League.

All that remains for the sale to be finalized is approval from baseball officials, which seems a mere formality. The deal should be completed some time in August and will somehow benefit this man, who answers to Miles and has a resume packed with words such as Director, Chairman, Partner, Trustee and Majority Owner. He practices international, domestic and finance law for Eaton & Van Winkle in New York City, with an emphasis on the United States and off-shore activities of foreign and domestic corporations, as well as banks and insurance companies.

In short, Prentice is rich and powerful, and he appears to like toys. But why Oneonta?

What could have prompted Prentice to buy a franchise in an economically depressed area that doesn't draw many fans, is in one of the smallest markets in all of professional baseball, plays in a recently renovated park that could certainly use more improvements, and competes at a classification that doesn't always produce top-notch baseball?

His relationship with Nader had a lot to do with it.

Years ago, the two met while serving on the board of trustees for Minor League Baseball. Since they kept in touch and the New York-Penn League is home to teams close to Prentice's Manhattan home, the purchase made sense.

"I like Sam and I love baseball," he said. "I love the game first and foremost."

Just six years ago, Prentice placed a $790-million offer to buy the Boston Red Sox but lost out to John Henry.

Three years before that, Prentice's group was a finalist to buy the Kansas City Royals for a $75-million price tag. Though many around K.C. seemed to think Prentice was the best choice, Major League Baseball declined his offer because he had too many investors.

MLB first told Prentice he needed more investors from the K.C. area to join his small group, which was based in his native Vermont. So, Prentice went out and found those K.C. investors, which included late Negro leagues star Buck O'Neil and professional golfer Tom Watson. MLB then said too many people were involved on Prentice's side, which ballooned to more than 40.

"There's always a story behind the story," Prentice said. "It is what it is. It was frustrating and disappointing because we had a wonderful group."

Before that, Prentice tried _ unsuccessfully _ to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers and the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

Asked if would consider bidding for another major league franchise, Prentice laughed and said: "Well, if the right opportunity came up, I'd look at it, but I'm not going to chase things."

He's been to Damaschke Field once _ the O-Tigers' home opener, when they were no-hit by the Tri-City ValleyCats in a 10-0 loss.

"I like the feel," he said of Damaschke. "I loved looking at the mountains in the background, and it's a well-maintained field. It's a small, minor-league park _ not a great deal different than Midland."

And this is why we might expect changes at Damaschke once Prentice is in charge.

When Prentice took over Midland in 1990, the ballpark sat 3,500 people _ about 500 fewer than Damaschke's capacity.

"When I bought Midland, five cities called me and asked me to move the team," he said. "I said, ÂPlease don't call.' But I also said, ÂThis ballpark is a rat hole.' I'll try to put people in the ballpark, but it has to be habitable."

Today, Midland has a 4,500-seat stadium that includes 20 luxury suites.

"We didn't spend a fortune," Prentice said of the new stadium. "It was a collaborative thing with the city and we did a great job."

Midland, the smallest Double-A market in the country, was named Minor League Team of the Year this past winter.

And that brings us to beer, another change that's likely to take place.

The O-Tigers are the lone minor-league team in the country that does not sell beer at home games, and their prospective owner does not drink or smoke.

"I don't impose my strange habits on other people," Prentice said. "I want to provide an environment that is fan-friendly, but I'm not against the sale of beer in a ballpark. I'm against the misuse of alcohol. In Midland, we'd provide drivers for those who couldn't drive home."

Midland _ under Prentice's direction in 1990 _ became the first professional sports franchise of any kind to cut off beer sales during a game. That's commonplace nowadays. The same year, Midland became the first team to adopt no-smoking sections, also a standard feature at most parks today.

It sounds like Prentice knows how to run a business.

But even if Prentice gets a stadium upgrade, begins selling beer, advertises more rigorously than the current owner, hires a radio guy to cover home and away games (he said he loves listening to baseball on the radio), institutes promotional nights that feature fireworks or live music following games, and sends furry mascots around the park to keep the youngsters happy, it still won't work.

That's because for years, Nader literally couldn't give away baseball. Of the 38 home dates this season, 14 are free nights. That's right, free nights. All fans have to do, in most cases, is stop by an area business and pick up a ticket to get in for free.

Sunday night's 6-1 victory over the State College Spikes was one of those nights. It drew 1,775 fans _ not even half of Damaschke's capacity. That's terrible.

The next night, a 4-1 win over State College, the O-Tigers drew 563 fans, which is above average for a paid-admission game this season.

Baseball simply doesn't sell here.

Prentice has a good track record of turning organizations around, and I wish him the best in this venture.

I'd love to see him succeed here. I just don't see it happening.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_191040022.html

O-Tigers beat SI for fourth straight win

Staff Report

The Oneonta Tigers' fourth straight New York-Penn League victory came with the help of seven Staten Island errors Wednesday.

Carlos Ramirez hit a two-run triple, and Ben Guez and Brandon Douglas each had two hits and an RBI in the O-Tigers' 5-4 road win.

Oneonta held a 5-0 lead after scoring twice in the top of the sixth inning, but had to hold on in the ninth.

Tigers reliever Tyler Stohr got the first two batters out to start the ninth before walking walking Braedyn Pruitt. Walter Ibarra then singled to center, sending Pruitt to second.

David Adams followed with a single to right that scored Pruitt to make it 5-4. Ibarra tried to get to third on the play, but right fielder Luis Artlet's throw to Bryan Pounds beat Ibarra to end it.

Oneonta, coming off a three-game sweep at home of the State College Spikes, have won four in a row for the first time this season. The Tigers (12-10), who started the night 1 1/2 games behind Vermont in the Stedlar Division, play the second game of a three-game set at Staten Island at 11 this morning.

Oneonta opened the scoring in the third, when Guez reached on a fielding error by shortstop Ibarra and stole second. Chris White then reached on a fielding error by left fielder Taylor Grote.

Ramirez's two-out triple scored both runners.

The Tigers made it 3-0 in the fifth.

Douglas reached on a fielding error by first baseman Jahdiel Santamaria. After Daniel Kapala replaced Luke Greinke on the mound, Guez reached on third baseman Mike Lyon's fieldiing error as Douglas went to second.

White's sacrifice bunt moved the runners up before Pounds' RBI single to left scored Douglas.

In the sixth inning, Mike Gosse singled with one out for the Tigers. He went to third on an errant pickoff attempt by reliever Mitch Abeita.

After Luis Artlet struck out, Joe Bowen reached on a fielding error by Ibarra that allowed Gosse to get to third.

Douglas' infield single to short scored Gosse and Guez followed with an RBI single to center to make it 5-0. All of Oneonta's runs were unearned.

Staten Island scored twice in the sixth off winning pitcher Mark Brackman (1-1) and once in the seventh off Steven Gillman.

O-Tigers starter Matt Hoffman pitched four scoreless innings. He allowed three hits, struck out three and walked one.

Stohr earned his seventh save of the season.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_192040037.html

O-Tigers' streak snapped

Staff Report

Billy Nowlin homered, but the Oneonta Tigers lost for the first time in five games as the host Staten Island Yankees earned a 5-3 New York-Penn League baseball victory Thursday.

Nowlin hit his first home run for Oneonta _ and his second professionally _ to center field with one out in the sixth inning, tying the score at 3.

Nowlin started this season with the Gulf Coast League Tigers and homered once in 21 at-bats before earning a promotion to the O-Tigers in late June. Nowlin went 2-for-4 Thursday and is 11-for-34 in nine NY-Penn games.

The Yankees snapped the 3-all tie in the bottom of the seventh.

With two out, Aaron Fuhrman hit David Adams, who took second on a wild pitch. Mike Lyon followed with an RBI single to right for the go-ahead run.

Fuhrman (2-2) suffered the loss, allowing one run on four hits in four innings of relief. He struck out three. Darwin DeLeon started for Oneonta, allowing three runs _ two earned _ on two hits in three innings. He struck out three and walked three.

After Fuhrman threw four innings, Anthony Shawler pitched the eighth. Shawler struck out two but allowed three hits, including an RBI single by Jahdiel Santamaria that capped the scoring.

Staten Island also opened the scoring.

In the first inning, Walter Ibarra reached on an error by first baseman Carlos Ramirez, who couldn't handle the throw from third baseman Bryan Pounds.

Ibarra went to second on the play before Adams doubled to left for a 1-0 lead.

Lyon walked and DeLeon threw a wild pitch, allowing Adams to move to third. Daniel Brewster then hit a ground-rule double to left-center field, scoring Adams and moving Lyon to third.

Braedyn Pruitt then grounded out to second, scoring Lyon to make it 3-0.

The Tigers made it 3-2 in the top of the third.

Brandon Douglas lined a single into center and went to third on Ben Guez's double to left. After Chris White grounded out to pitcher Brandon Braboy, Pounds singled to left. Douglas scored and Guez advanced to third on the hit. Guez later scored on an error by second baseman Adams to make it 3-2.

Drew Shetrone, who relieved Braboy in the sixth, earned the pitching victory to improve to 1-1 this season.

Guez and Pounds had three hits apiece for Oneonta, which outhit Staten Island, 10-9.

Oneonta (12-11) and Staten Island (15-8) finish a three-game set at 7:05 tonight. The Tigers then travel to Williamsport for three games before an off day Tuesday. Oneonta follows the break with a six-game homestand that starts Wednesday _ the first three against the Brooklyn Cyclones and the last three against the Vermont Lake Monsters, a Stedler Division rival.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_193040013.html?keyword=topstory

O-Tigers fall on road, 4-2

Staff Report

Bryan Pounds had two hits, but the Oneonta Tigers opened a three-game set at Williamsport with a 4-2 loss in the New York-Penn League Saturday.

Sunday's game between the teams was postponed because of weather. The teams will play a doubleheader beginning at 6 p.m. today at Williamsport. Following an off day Tuesday, the O-Tigers (13-12) begin a six-game homestand with a three-game set against Brooklyn beginning at 7 p.m. Wednesday. Vermont then visits Oneonta starting at 7 p.m. Saturday.

Williamsport (11-13) scored three times in the first inning off losing pitcher Mark Sorensen (0-2).

With one out, Bryan Frew walked and Travis D'Arnaud doubled to left, putting runners on second and third. Cody Overbeck then followed with a home run to left, giving the Crosscutters a 3-0 lead.

Sorensen went four innings, allowing three runs on seven hits. He struck out one and walked two. Daniel DeLucia followed with three innings of scoreless relief, giving up one hit and striking out three. Mark Brackman then gave up one run on one hit in one inning. He also walked one.

Oneonta pulled to within 3-2 in the top of the eighth inning.

With one out, Brandon Douglas doubled to left off relief pitcher Charles Vartanian. Pounds then reached on a fielding error by second baseman Frew, who also had a throwing error on the play, allowing Douglas to score and Pounds to reach second.

Carlos Ramirez followed with a double to left, scoring Pounds.

Vartanian then got Billy Nowlin to ground out to shortstop and Mike Gosse to ground out to third to end the inning.

The Crosscutters got one back in the bottom of the inning on an RBI groundout by Troy Hanzawa.

Michael Schwimer earned his second save, working a scoreless ninth.

Schwimer struck out Luis Arlet to start the inning before walking Joe Bowen and Chris White to put runners on first and second. Ben Guez and Douglas each struck out swinging to end it.

Tyler Cloyd (1-0) pitched the first five innings for the victory. He gave up three hits, struck out four and walked two.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_196040016.html

Douglas leads O-Tigers to 3-1 victory over Staten Island

Staff Report

Brandon Douglas doubled and homered as part of a three-hit day and the Oneonta Tigers won for the fifth time in six games, beating the host Staten Island Yankees, 3-1, Friday night in the New York-Penn League.

Douglas doubled and scored during the O-Tigers' two-run first inning and then gave Oneonta 3-0 lead by homering to left-center field in the fifth. It was Douglas' first home run of the season.

Oneonta (13-11) took two of three games from the McNamara Division-leading Yankees (15-9). The Tigers, who are a game behind Stedler Division leader Vermont, travel to Williamsport for a three-games series that begins at 7:05 p.m. Saturday. Following that series, the O-Tigers are off Tuesday and then return home to play Brooklyn at 7 p.m. Wednesday, the first of a three-game set.

Vermont beat Mahoning Valley, 7-6, Friday.

Oneonta got two runs in the first inning off losing pitcher David Phelps (2-1).

Ben Guez led off with a single to left and advanced to third on Douglas' double to left. After Bryan Pounds struck out, Carlos Ramirez's ground out to first scored Guez and sent Douglas to third.

Douglas scored on Wade Lamont's single to right.

Douglas' two-out homer off Phelps in the fifth made it 3-0.

Staten Island's run came in the fifth off O-Tigers starter and winning pitcher David Stokes (2-1).

Mitch Abeita led off with a double to center, but Stokes picked him off for the first out.

Following Erik Lovett's groundout to first, Addison Maruszak homered to left to make it 3-1.

Stokes went five innings, allowing six hits and four walks. He struck out one as his ERA dipped to 1.33.

Relievers Steven Gillman, Tyler Conn and Lester Oliveras combined on four innings of shutout baseball for Oneonta. Oliveras earned his second save, working around two walks in the ninth. He also struck out two.

Guez and Luis Arlet had two hits apiece for the O-Tigers.

Note: Outfielder Keith Stein was promoted to Single-A West Michigan on Wednesday. He hit .259 in 20 games with the O-Tigers this season.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_194040030.html

O-Tigers drop two on road

Staff Report

Oneonta Tigers batters mustered 10 hits and three runs over 14 innings in dropping a New York-Penn League doubleheader at Williamsport on Monday.

The O-Tigers (13-14) lost the first game, 4-3, and the second, 3-0 _ both scheduled seven-inning games after Sunday's game was postoned because of rain. Williamsport swept the three-game series.

The Tigers have an off day today before beginning a three-game home series against Brooklyn Cyclones at 7 p.m. Wednesday.

In the second game, Oneonta had three hits and struck out 13 times against Williamsport pitchers Michael Stutes, Eryk McConnell and Michael Schwimer.

Ben Guez and Bryan Pounds had singles, and Chris White doubled for Oneonta.

Williamsport took a 1-0 lead in the second inning on back-to-back doubles by Jeremy Hamilton and Steve Susdorf to start the inning off losing pitcher Matt Hoffman (0-1).

The Crosscutters scored twice in the sixth inning off Tyler Stohr. Susdorf's two-out double scored both runs.

Hoffman allowed one run on four hits over five innings. He struck out four and walked one.

Winning pitcher Stutes (1-1) struck out nine, walked three and allowed two hits in five innings.

Susdorf and Troy Hanzawa each had RBI doubles to highlight a four-run fourth inning to help Williamsport win the opener.

The O-Tigers took the lead in the top of the fourth with two runs. Brandon Douglas singled and Pounds followed with an RBI doubled to left for a 1-0 lead. Billy Nowlin then reached on a fielding error by shortstop Hanzawa to score Pounds and make it 2-0.

The Crosscutters rallied in the bottom of the inning.

Cody Overbeck doubled to right and scored when Hamilton singled to right. Hamilton moved to second on the throw. Susdorf then doubled to score Hamilton to tie the score at 2. Hanzawa gave Williamsport the lead when he doubled to left. After Scott Thomas struck out swinging, Tim Binkoski singled to put runners on first and third. Brandon Haislet then hit a sacrifice fly to center to make it 4-2.

Oneonta got its final run in the fifth.

Luis Arlet doubled to right and Chris White walked to put runners on first and second. Ben Guez then bunted, but catcher Travis D'Arnaud threw to third, getting Arlet. White moved to second on the play and Guez to first.

Douglas then singled to right, scoring White. Guez went to third and Douglas to second on the throw.

Winning pitcher Justin De Fratus (3-1) got out of the inning by striking out Pounds and getting Nowlin to ground out to third.

Trevor Feeney suffered the loss for Oneonta, allowing all four runs (all earned) on eight hits in four innings. He struck out three. Anthony Shawler pitched the final two innings, allowing no hits and striking out one.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_197040026.html?keyword=topstory

O-Tigers snap three-game skid

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Writer

med

Star photo by Julie LewisBilly Nowlin of the Oneonta Tigers ties the score at 1 with an RBI single to left field during the first inning of Wednesday night-s New York-Penn League game against the Brooklyn Cyclones at Damaschke Field. Mike Gosse scored from third base on the hit, which sparked a two-run inning for the O-Tigers

ONEONTA _ Oneonta Tigers starter Darwin DeLeon seemed to get out of trouble as quickly as he got into it Wednesday night.

DeLeon lasted five innings to help the O-Tigers start a six-game homestand with a 4-1 victory over the Brooklyn Cyclones in front of 722 fans on a warm and muggy night at Damaschke Field.

The only mistake that hurt DeLeon was a 3-2 fastball that Zach Lutz deposited over the scoreboard in left-center field for a 1-0 Cyclones lead in the top of the first inning.

"It was on a full count and I threw the ball where I wanted it," DeLeon said through an interpreter, "but the hitter hit it out and that's just the way it is."

Oneonta (14-14), which snapped a three-game skid, hosts Brooklyn (13-15) for the second of a three-game series at 7 tonight. Their finale is set for 7 p.m. Friday. Oneonta then follows with three home games against Vermont.

DeLeon (2-1) gave up five hits, struck out two and walked one, but he struggled throughout. Take the third inning, for example, where DeLeon threw seven balls in an eight-pitch stretch and faced a second-and-third situation with two out. DeLeon escaped the inning when Jordan Abruzzo flew out to center.

"That's pretty much a typical outing for him," Oneonta manager Ryan Newman said. "He'll have one inning where he labors a little bit, but he's thrown well for us this year. He gets himself in trouble every once in a while, but he's doing well."

Said DeLeon: "I felt pretty good tonight. I was getting behind on the hitters, but I made adjustments."

Brooklyn's 1-0 lead didn't last long as the O-Tigers had four of their 10 hits in the bottom of their two-run first.

With two out, Mike Gosse singled to right and moved to third on Bryan Pounds' soft single to right. Billy Nowlin followed with a sharp single to left on a 2-2 slider up in the zone, scoring Gosse to tie it at 1 and resetting runners at the corners for Oneonta.

"Two-out hits are always big," Nowlin said. "Especially for the ballclub. That's how we win. I was lucky enough to get a pitch up in the zone and tried to get short to it and it turned out good.

"I was looking for something over the plate and trying to fight it off," he continued. "You're a little more edgy with the two strikes with guys on. But he made a mistake and we capitalized on it."

Carlos Ramirez followed with a bloop single to right, scoring Pounds for a 2-1 lead.

The Tigers scored twice in the fifth for the final margin. Josh Workman singled up the middle and Brent Wyatt singled on a bunt up the third-base line. Ben Guez then hit a 3-1 fastball to left, scoring Workman and moving Wyatt to second.

"He got behind in the count with three balls early," Guez said. "It was a good hitter's count and I took a strike and I was expecting a good pitch to hit. I got it and that was key. ... He showed me all fastballs and I knew he was coming with it again at 3-1."

With Chris White up, Wyatt drifted his lead far enough off second to draw a throw from catcher Abruzzo. The low throw to the left of the bag skipped and appeared to hit Wyatt as the ball ricocheted to the right side of the infield dirt. Wyatt and Guez moved up on the miscue, which set up White for an RBI groundout to second.

Aaron Fuhrman pitched three innings of scoreless relief for Oneonta. Tyler Stohr worked the ninth, allowing one hit and striking out one, to earn his eighth save. Stohr is tied with Staten Island's Pat Venditte for the league lead in saves.

Notes: Angel Pagan, who is on a rehab assignment for the New York Mets, went 2-for-2 and played left field for the Cyclones. He was thrown out by Oneonta left fielder Workman in the first inning, when he tried to stretch a single into a double. Pagan left the game in the bottom of the third. ... Wednesday's game started 21 minutes late because of rain.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_199040031.html?keyword=topstory

Tigers rally in 5th

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ Going 180 feet on a wild pitch is a rarity in baseball, but Oneonta's Eric Harryman made it look easy Thursday night at Damaschke Field.

With Harryman on second and two out in the bottom of the fifth inning, Brooklyn reliever Tim Stronach threw a ball in the dirt that soon hit the backstop. Harryman rounded third as Jordan Abruzzo jogged to retrieve the ball, then slid into home ahead of the catcher's throw to a covering Stronach.

The play, which came with Bryan Pounds at the plate, resulted in the final run of the O-Tigers' 5-4 New York-Penn League victory over the Brooklyn Cyclones. Oneonta (15-14) scored four times in the fifth en route to a triumph in front of a season-high 3,893 fans.

"(Abruzzo) kind of looked confused," said Harryman, whose two-out double down the third-base line tied the score at 4. "I started taking off and I saw he went after it kind of slow, so I just kept going and took a chance. ... Right as I touched third, I saw his back still turned and he wasn't at the ball yet, so I kind of stutter-stepped and just took off."

Oneonta manager Ryan Newman said Harryman made the decision to keep running.

"He knows how hard he's running," Newman said. "That's all on him. That's a great hustle play by him."

Oneonta (15-14) moved into a first-place tie in the Stedler Division with Vermont, which lost, 5-1, to Williamsport on Thursday. The Tigers and Cyclones (13-16) finish their three-game set at 7 tonight before Vermont visits Damaschke Field for a three-game series beginning at 7 p.m. Saturday.

Oneonta's run spurt in the fifth seemed unlikely against Cyclones starter Jeff Kaplan, who started the inning with a 4-1 lead. Kaplan limited the Tigers to two hits before the last of the fifth, which started with back-to-back flyouts by Angel Flores and Josh Workman.

Brent Wyatt then drew a five-pitch walk and stole second before Ben Guez walked on seven pitches.

"He pitched a great ballgame up until that point," Newman said of Kaplan. "Sometimes that happens. Somebody gets in his head and things unravel and it carried over to the reliever."

Chris White then hit a two-run double into the right-center field gap, cutting Oneonta's deficit to 4-3.

"I was looking one way and for a pitch to hit," said White, who finished 3-for-4. "He happened to give me the right pitch over the plate. He kind of hung a slider out there and I hit it hard. Fortunately, it hit the gap."

After White's double, Brooklyn manager Edgar Alfonzo pulled Kaplan and brought in Stronach.

Harryman lined Stronach's first pitch down the third-base line for a double, easily scoring White to tie the score at 4.

"I was just looking for a pitch I could hit and trying to get him in," said Harryman, who connected on an inside fastball. "It was a big run and I got the pitch and hit it. It was perfect."

Two pitches later, the ball squirted under Abruzzo and Harryman gave Oneonta the go-ahead run.

"He hasn't had a lot of opportunities," White said of Harryman, who has appeared in 14 games this season. "But when he comes in, he gets the job done in the biggest ways, so it's good to have him on the team."

Newman said his team has been coming up with timely hitting in the first two games with Brooklyn.

"It seems like the last two nights we've had some big two-out hits and some action happening with two outs," Newman said. "That's the mark of a good team. These guys are playing hard."

Mark Brackman (2-1) earned the victory, pitching two innings in relief of starter David Stokes. He allowed four runs on eight hits in four innings. Brackman yielded one hit and struck out two.

Steve Gilman followed with two innings of scoreless relief, and Lester Oliveros earned his third save despite giving up a hit in the ninth.

Brooklyn opened the scoring in the first. Reese Havens led off with a triple and scored when Kirk Nieuwenhuis grounded out to short. Oneonta tied it in the bottom of the inning on an RBI single from Pounds, who finished with two hits.

The Cyclones scored two in the third _ on an RBI double from Jake Eigsti and a sacrifice fly from Nieuwenhuis. Brooklyn scored its final run in the fifth on an RBI single from Eric Campbell.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_200040034.html?keyword=topstory

Tigers sweep Brooklyn

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ The Oneonta Tigers should consider spotting teams a 1-0 lead on a regular basis.

The O-Tigers fell behind after the top of the first inning for the third straight night, then rallied for a 7-5 New York-Penn League victory over Brooklyn in front of 516 fans at Damaschke Field on Friday.

The O-Tigers (16-14) completed a three-game sweep of the Cyclones (13-17) that gave them the top spot in the Stedler Division. Vermont entered Friday tied for first with Oneonta at 15-14, but rain canceled the Lake Monsters' three-game-series finale against visiting Williamsport.

Vermont, which trails Oneonta by a half-game, starts a three-game set at Damaschke Field at 7 p.m. Saturday.

"This is a big series," Oneonta manager Ryan Newman said of the next three games. "I know it's still early, but we want to take care of our division as much as we can, so it's a big series coming up."

Brooklyn opened the scoring Friday when Kirk Nieuwenhuis homered with one out in the top of the first.

The Cyclones' lead lasted all of two outs as Ben Guez started Oneonta's at-bats with a homer over the left-center field wall on a 1-1 pitch from Scott Shaw.

"I just got a fastball," Guez said. "It was a good pitch to hit. I'm fortunate I got it and I put a good swing on it. ... I think the ball was carrying a little more today than it does usually."

Chris White followed with a single up the middle and moved to second on a balk by Shaw. Mike Gosse then singled to right, giving the Tigers runners at the corners.

Shaw struck out Bryan Pounds before walking Carlos Ramirez and Joe Bowen, the latter with the bases loaded as Oneonta took a 2-1 lead.

After striking out Luis Arlet, Shaw threw a 2-1 fastball up and in on Josh Workman. He drove the pitch into the top of the right-center field wall, missing a grand slam by about two vertical feet. Workman ended up with a three-run triple as Oneonta went ahead, 5-1.

"I just stayed on it and drove it," Workman said. "I thought I might have (homered). I kind of lost it out there. I couldn't tell where it hit. I didn't see the ball, so I thought it was out (of the park)."

Workman's triple chased Shaw. Matias Carrillo got out of the inning when Brent Wyatt grounded out to short, but the reliever gave up two runs in the second.

Guez led off with a ground-rule double that hit about five feet in front of the right-center wall and bounced over. White followed with an RBI single up the middle to make it 6-1.

"That's been our mentality this series," White said. "We're just trying, when we get down, to come back full force and not don't give them a chance to get back in the game."

Gosse then grounded into a 4-6-3 double play, but Pounds sparked another rally with a single to right. Ramirez then floated a single to left that caromed off left fielder Darren Clark. Pounds scored on the error, which allowed Ramirez to reach second.

The Cyclones made it close with a run in the fifth, another in the sixth and two in the eighth.

"We came out swinging the bats," said Newman, whose team had nine hits. "We rolled off some runs in the first two innings. It was nice to see our offense come alive a little bit. Luckily, we were able to hold that lead."

Mark Sorensen (1-2) pitched five innings to earn the victory. He allowed two runs on five hits, striking out two and walking two. Tyler Conn gave up one run in one inning and Daniel DeLucia yielded two runs in 1 2/3 innings before Anthony Shawler got the last Brooklyn out of the eighth.

Tyler Stohr worked the ninth for his league-leading ninth save. He allowed one hit, striking out two and walking one.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_201040038.html

O-Tigers to play 2 today

Staff Report

For the second straight night, rain kept the Oneonta Tigers and Vermont Lake Monsters from playing at Damaschke Field.

The teams were scheduled to play a New York-Penn League doubleheader Sunday after Saturday night's rainout, but now they'll play a doubleheader at 6:05 p.m. today at Damaschke Field.

O-Tigers director of operations Bob Zeh said Sunday's postponement likely will be made up as part of a doubleheader Sept. 1 or 2, which is the next time _ and the last _ that Vermont will visit Oneonta this season.

Amphenol Night, originally scheduled for Saturday and moved to Sunday, will be held today. Fans will be admitted free.

The O-Tigers are atop the Stedler Division standings with a 16-14 record, a half-game ahead of second-place Vermont (15-14). Lowell is third in the division at 14-18, followed by Tri-City (13-19).

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_203040015.html

O-Tigers get swept out of first place

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ The Oneonta Tigers couldn't find an offensive groove Monday against Vermont.

The O-Tigers finished with seven hits in dropping a New York-Penn League doubleheader in front of 1,180 fans at Damaschke Field.

Vermont won the opener, 4-1, and rallied for a 4-2 victory in the second game against Oneonta, which entered the doubleheader on a three-game winning streak. Both games were scheduled for seven innings.

The Tigers held a half-game lead on Vermont for the top spot in the Stedler Division before Monday's games, which were doubled up because of back-to-back rainouts Saturday and Sunday. The two teams likely will make up the third game of their series in September, when Vermont visits for the second and final time this season.

The Lake Monsters took over first place with a 17-14 record. Oneonta is in second at 16-16.

Vermont scored three runs in the fifth inning of the second game to rally from a 2-1 deficit.

Dani Arias led off with a walk and scored when Nick Arata tripled to the right-center field gap, tying the score at 2. Jake Dugger followed with a triple, also to right-center, scoring Arata for a 3-2 lead and chasing Oneonta starter Matt Hoffman (0-2).

Steve Souza capped the scoring with an RBI single off Lester Oliveros.

Carlos Peralta (2-0) pitched two innings in relief of Will Atwood to earn the victory.

Hoffman allowed four runs on four hits. He walked three and struck out six.

Oneonta opened the scoring in the bottom of the first. Chris White singled to left with one out before Bryan Pounds hit a slow roller to short. Arias bobbled the ball, allowing Pounds to reach on the error and moving White to second.

Billy Nowlin reached on a catcher's interference to load the bases for Carlos Ramirez, who hit a slow grounder to third. Souza's only play was to first, allowing White to score the first run.

Vermont tied it in the third.

Arata led off with a single and went to third on a throwing error by left fielder White. Dugger then walked and, after Souza struck out, Derek Norris hit a high chopper to short. Brent Wyatt went for the force out at second, but Dugger slid in safely. Wyatt then threw to first, but Norris beat it. Arata scored on the play.

Oneonta took the lead back in the bottom half of the inning. Pounds hit a two-out single to left and scored on Billy Nowlin's double to center.

Lake Monsters 4, O-Tigers 1

Brad Peacock pitched a four-hitter to lead Vermont to victory in the opening game.

Peacock struck out four and walked none, throwing 70 pitches (46 strikes).

The Tigers scored and had another runner reach second base in the fifth inning.

With Oneonta trailing, 2-0, Nowlin led off the fifth with a hard grounder to the left of third baseman Souza. The ball then caromed off his glove toward the outfield, allowing Nowlin to reach on the error.

After Ramirez struck out swinging, Nowlin started for second on a hit-and-run. The play drew shortstop Arias toward second, leaving a hole at shortstop. Angel Flores singled through the opening, giving Oneonta runners at the corners.

Josh Workman then hit a hard shot back to the mound and off Peacock's glove as the ball rolled toward second base. Nowlin scored on the play and Flores advanced to second.

Peacock (3-1) then got Wyatt to ground into a 4-6-3 double play to end the inning.

Vermont scored two in the seventh off reliever Steve Gilman, who gave up four hits in the inning. Blake Stouffer and Dugger each had RBI singles to make it 4-1.

The Lake Monsters opened the scoring in the first. Stouffer led off with a home run to right on a 2-2 pitch from Trevor Feeney.

Dugger followed with a walk and, after Souza popped out to second, Norris grounded to Pounds at third. Pounds forced out Dugger at second, but Norris reached first on the play.

Michael Guerrero then doubled to the warning track in left, scoring Norris for a 2-1 lead.

Feeney pitched six strong innings, allowing two runs on six hits. He walked two, struck out none and threw 51 of his 70 pitches for strikes.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_204040025.html?keyword=topstory

Tigers down 'Dogs

Staff Report

Josh Workman doubled twice and Bryan Pounds drove in two runs as the visiting Oneonta Tigers earned a 6-3 New York-Penn League victory over the Batavia Muckdogs on Tuesday night.

Darwin DeLeon (3-1) earned the victory, allowing two runs on three hits over 5 2/3 innings. He struck out one and walked two. Aaron Fuhrman got his first save, giving up one run on two hits over the final 3 1/3 innings. He struck out two and walked none.

The O-Tigers (17-16), who snapped a two-game skid, continue their three-game series with the Muckdogs (18-15) at 7 p.m. today. After finishing the three-game set Thursday, Oneonta returns home for a three-game series with Stedler Division rival Tri-City at 7 p.m. Friday. The two will meet at 2 p.m. Saturday at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown, then close their series at 6 p.m. Sunday at Damaschke Field.

Oneonta opened the scoring in the top of the third inning.

Ben Guez reached on a fielding error by shortstop Domnit Bolivar. Workman followed with a double to right, putting runners on second and third and setting up a sacrifice fly by Pounds for a 1-0 lead.

Billy Nowlin then reached on a fielder's choice that moved Workman to third. Workman scored on an RBI single to right field by Angel Flores.

The O-Tigers got another run in the top of the sixth, on a two-out, RBI triple by Brent Wyatt.

The Muckdogs scored twice in the bottom of the inning.

With two out, Shane Peterson was hit by a pitch. Blake Murphy followed with a home run to left field, marking his third homer of the year. After Bolivar walked, Fuhrman replaced DeLeon and got Xavier Scruggs to ground out to short to end the inning.

Oneonta's offense kept rolling in the seventh.

Ben Guez walked, stole second and advanced to third when Workman grounded out to first. Pounds followed with a single to right to score Guez for a 4-2 lead.

Nowlin then singled to left. He reached second and Pounds scored when left fielder Frederick Parejo made a fielding error on the play.

Nowlin reached third on a passed ball by Murphy and Flores walked. After Wade Lamont struck out swinging, Gosse drove in Nowlin with a single to center.

Wyatt then walked to load the bases, chasing Ramon Delgado. Reliever Rigoberto Lugo got White to ground out to first to end the inning.

Batavia got its final run in the bottom of the seventh, on an RBI single from Jose Garcia.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_205040008.html?keyword=topstory

Batavia limits Tigers to 3 hits

Staff Report

Three Batavia pitchers combined on a three-hitter as the host Muckdogs earned a 5-3 New York-Penn League victory over the Oneonta Tigers on Wednesday night.

Winning pitcher Miguel Tapia (4-2) gave up two runs on two hits over five innings. He struck out two and walked one. Scott Gorgen followed with three innings, allowing one run on one hit, striking out four and walking one. Adam Reifer struck out one in a perfect ninth to earn his league-leading 10th save.

Oneonta (17-17) finishes a three-game series at Batavia at 7 tonight. The Tigers return home for a three-game set with Tri-City beginning at 7 p.m. Friday. Saturday's game is at 2 p.m. at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown.

The Muckdogs (19-15) snapped a 2-all tie in the bottom of the fifth.

With one out, Beau Riportella doubled to left off losing pitcher David Stokes (2-2). After Jose Garcia was hit by a pitch, Colt Sedbrook singled to load the bases. Shane Peterson followed with a three-run double to center to make it 5-2.

Hayden Parrott homered to left _ his second this season _ for the O-Tigers with two outs in the sixth inning to make it 5-3, but Oneonta had one runner reach second base for the remainder of the game.

Batavia opened the scoring on a sacrifice fly from Domnit Bolivar in the bottom of the second to make it 1-0.

Oneonta took the lead in the third on a two-run homer by Ben Guez, his team-leading third of the season.

Chris White walked to start the inning and moved to second when Brent Wyatt grounded out to second baseman Sedbrook.

Guez followed a shot to left to make it 2-1.

The Muckdogs tied the score in the bottom of the inning on a sacrifice fly by Peterson.

Besides the homers hit by Parrott and Guez, Billy Nowlin had Oneonta's other hit.

Stokes allowed five runs on six hits over five innings. He struck out four and walked none. Santo Mieses, Tyler Conn and Anthony Shawler each pitched an inning of relief and each had two strikeouts. Mieses walked one and Conn allowed one hit.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_206040011.html

Tigers get rained out

Staff Report

Rain washed out the last part of a three-game series between visiting Oneonta and the Batavia Muckdogs on Thursday, but the Tigers gained some ground in the New York-Penn League's Stedler Division.

Second-place Oneonta (17-17) pulled within one game of first-place Vermont, which fell, 8-1, at the Brooklyn Cyclones on Thursday. The Lake Monsters fell to 18-16.

Batavia and Oneonta, which split the first two games of their series, are not scheduled to meet again this season. No date has been announced to make up for Thursday's rainout.

The Muckdogs (19-15) are tied with defending NY-Penn champion Auburn for third place in the Pinckney Division. Jamestown leads the division with a 23-10 record, followed by Williamsport (19-14).

The Tigers return home today for a three-game series against the Tri-City ValleyCats. Oneonta hosts T-C at 7 tonight at Damaschke Field. The two follow with a 2 p.m. game Saturday at Doubleday Field, part of the 2008 National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Weekend. Their series closes at 6 p.m. Sunday back at Damaschke.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_207040012.html

Pounds boosts Tigers

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ Bryan Pounds gave the Oneonta Tigers an eighth-inning boost Friday.

Pounds' RBI triple with one out in the bottom of the eighth led the Tigers a 1-0 New York-Penn League victory over the Tri-City ValleyCats in front of 588 fans at Damaschke Field.

Facing a 2-1 count, Pounds drove a fastball up in the zone from losing pitcher Michael Hacker to the right-center field gap and over center fielder J.B. Shuck. Hayden Parrott, who reached first via error in the previous at-bat, scored on the play. Pounds beat the throw to third but slid past the bag and was tagged out.

"I was just looking for something to drive and he gave me a fastball (on the) outside third (of the plate), so I just drove it and just put a good swing on it," Pounds said. "If (Shuck) ran that one down, I know I better do something else because I hit that one pretty good. I knew it was going to be at least a double. I tried to stretch it into a triple, but my blazing speed made me go past the bag.

"I was kind of crossed up if I was going to slide or not and I saw the third baseman going to snag the ball," he continued. "I was close to the bag and was about to slide and I was already on the bag and slid right by it. It just wasn't a really good move."

With the victory, the O-Tigers (18-17) moved into a first-place tie in the Stedler Division with Vermont. The Lake Monsters lost, 11-3, to visiting Lowell on Friday.

Oneonta plays Tri-City at 2 p.m. Saturday at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown. Trevor Feeney (1-2, 4.67 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Tigers, who will return to Damaschke for a 6 p.m. game with the ValleyCats on Sunday. Oneonta then visits Tri-City at 7 p.m. Monday, before an off day Tuesday.

"It's a great way to kick off the weekend," Oneonta manager Ryan Newman said of the victory. "It's going to be exciting (Saturday). The guys are going to be amped up for playing in Cooperstown on Hall of Fame Weekend. It's going to be exciting. But we're going to try and go out and do the same thing we did tonight and play good baseball and see if we can get another W."

Three Oneonta pitchers combined on a six-hitter. Mark Sorensen threw six strong innings, allowing four hits and striking out four. He had command of all his pitches but said he threw mainly his fastball and slider. Sorensen also throws a changeup and a curveball.

Sorensen's biggest jam came in the fifth, when Tri-City loaded the bases with one out. He struck out leadoff hitter Shuck and got T.J. Steele to ground back to the mound to end the inning.

"It was a good night," Sorensen said. "It's one of those nights where you just feel like if you attack them, they're going to hit a groundball and we're going to pick it up and get an out."

Sorensen (1-2), who received a no-decision, threw 47 of his 70 pitches for strikes. He walked none, maxing out at three-ball counts to two of the 23 batters he faced.

"Definitely numbers-wise and just the way I felt and the way I threw, I'd have to say it's my best outing of the year so far," Sorensen said. "I think I was throwing everything for strikes and getting ahead of people. They were putting it into play and we made a lot of good plays behind me."

Daniel DeLucia (2-1) pitched two innings of relief for the victory. He gave up two hits, struck out one and walked one. Tyler Stohr struck out one in the ninth and earned his 10th save, tying Batavia's Adam Reifer and Staten Island's Pat Venditte for the league lead.

"All three guys did an outstanding job," Newman said. "It was a good game all the way around."

After Josh Workman flied out to left to open the bottom of the eighth, Parrott hit a hard grounder to third. The ball hit the glove of Tri-City's David Flores and went straight up. Flores grabbed the ball as it came down, but Parrott easily beat the throw to first.

Pounds then tripled to right-center, snapping the scoreless tie.

Each team left seven runners on base.

"Both teams left a lot of runners on today," Pounds said. "It felt good to come through and get the hit. Both teams really struggled to get runners in, obviously."

Angel Flores and Brent Wyatt each doubled for the Tigers

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_208040032.html

O-Tigers drop two to ValleyCats

Staff Report

Michael Diaz's two-out double capped a three-run 12th inning as Tri-City earned a 5-2 New York-Penn League victory over the Oneonta Tigers in front of 517 fans at Damaschke Field on Sunday night.

Oneonta (18-19) remained tied with Vermont for second in the Stedler Division. Lowell (19-18) is a game ahead. The O-Tigers visit Tri-City at 7 p.m. today before going to Aberdeen for a three-game series beginning Tuesday.

Losing pitcher Mark Brackman (2-2) got David Flores to ground out and struck out Andrew Simunic to open the 12th. Marques Williams (three hits) and Danny Meier each singled to put runners on first and second. After a passed ball by Joe Bowen to put runners on second and third, Ronald Ramirez reached on a throwing error by shortstop Brandon Douglas, allowing Williams to score as Meier went to third.

Jack Shuck then walked to load the bases and Diaz followed with a double to left, scoring Meier and Ramirez to make it 5-2.

Douglas walked to open the Oneonta half of the 12th before winning pitcher Kirkland Rivers retired Bryan Pounds on a popout, Hayden Parrott on a groundout and struck out Bowen to end it.

The ValleyCats opened the scoring in the first when Disher hit his eighth home run of the season, to left.

The Tigers tied it in the second on an RBI double from Brent Wyatt, scoring Angel Flores. Billy Nowlin tried to score from first on the play, but was thrown out on a relay from left fielder Simunic to shortstop Jeff Hulett to catcher Jason Castro.

Each team scored one in the eighth.

Diaz (three hits) had an RBI single for the ValleyCats and Parrott had an RBI groundout for Oneonta.

Eric Harryman had three hits to lead Oneonta, which received two hits apiece from Douglas and Flores.

SATURDAY'S GAME

ValleyCats 5, O-Tigers 2

Christopher Jackson had two hits and two RBIs to lead the ValleyCats to a win in front of 4,129 fans at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown.

Diaz homered for Tri-City, which got five shutout innings from David Duncan (2-3). Ashton Mowdy pitched a scoreless ninth to earn his first save for the ValleyCats, who used four pitchers.

Wyatt had two hits and Harryman homered to lead the O-Tigers, who finished with four hits. Both of Oneonta's runs came in the eighth to cut the score to 5-2.

Tri-City took a 1-0 lead in the second on Reinaldo Pestana's RBI double.

The ValleyCats scored twice in the fourth on an RBI double by Jackson and a throwing error by shortstop Wyatt that allowed Jackson to score to make it 3-0.

Diaz homered in the sixth to push Tri-City's lead to 4-0 and Jackson walked with the bases loaded in the eighth to make it 5-0.

With one out in the bottom of the eighth, Harryman hit his second homer of the year, to left. After Luis Arlet flew out to center for the second out, Ben Guez was hit by a pitch, stole his 11th base of the season and scored on Wyatt's single to center.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_210040019.html

Tigers snap skid

Staff Report

Billy Nowlin went 4-for-5 as the visiting Oneonta Tigers snapped a three-game skid with a 10-5 New York-Penn League victory over Aberdeen on Tuesday.

The Tigers (19-20) dropped the past three games to Tri-City, which is last in the four-team Stedler Division. Oneonta continues its three-game series with the IronBirds at 7 tonight, then plays the finale at 7 p.m. Thursday. The Tigers then visit Tri-City for three games before returning home Monday to host the ValleyCats.

The O-Tigers are tied with Lowell and Vermont atop the division. Tri-City is 3 1/2 games behind. On Tuesday, Lowell fell to Staten Island, 8-6; Vermont lost to Brooklyn, 4-3; and Tri-City suffered a 7-3 setback to Hudson Valley.

David Stokes (3-2) earned the victory for Oneonta, allowing three runs on nine hits over five innings. He struck out six and walked one but allowed two home runs.

Mark Brackman followed with two innings of relief, giving up two runs (one earned) on two hits. He struck out five and walked one.

Tyler Conn pitched the final two innings, striking out one and walking two. Oneonta's offense backed its pitchers.

After Aberdeen took a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the third _ on back-to-back homers from Kraig Binick and Caleb Joseph and an RBI double from Jedidiah Stephen _ the Tigers answered with five runs in the fourth.

With one out, Nowlin singled and Hayden Parrott was hit by a pitch. Wade Lamont singled to load the bases for Joe Bowen, who singled to center to drive in Nowlin and re-load the bases.

Mike Gosse then tripled to right, scoring Parrott, Lamont and Bowen to make it 4-3. After Brent Wyatt walked, Keith Stein hit into a fielder's choice that forced out Wyatt at second. Gosse scored and Stein reached first on the play to make it 5-3.

See TIGERS on Page 15

Bryan Pounds homered to left to open the fifth, giving Oneonta a 6-3 lead.

Pounds, Parrott and Gosse had two hits apiece for the Tigers.

MONDAY'S GAME

ValleyCats 12, O-Tigers 3

David Flores had two hits and four RBIs to lead host Tri-City past Oneonta on Monday.

The ValleyCats took three of four games from the Tigers in a series that covered three stadiums in four days. Oneonta won the opener Friday at Damaschke Field before Tri-City won Saturday at Doubleday Field in Cooperstown. The Cats then won at Damaschke on Sunday and at home Monday.

Jason Castro went 3-for-4 with two RBIs for T-C.

Aaron Fuhrman (2-3) took the loss for Oneonta, allowing four runs on five hits. He struck out two and walked three. Fuhrman took over for starter Darwin DeLeon in the first inning. DeLeon walked leadoff hitter Jack Shuck before a rain delay of 1 hour, 19 minutes.

Fuhrman came on in relief, but gave up four runs in the third. Santo Mieses then gave up three runs on three hits in three innings, and Luis Gil allowed five runs on four hits in one inning. Lester Oliveros finished for the Tigers, striking out the side in a scoreless eighth.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_212040014.html

Tigers fall out of first

Staff Report

Billy Nowlin and Angel Flores homered, but the Oneonta Tigers lost, 4-2, at Aberdeen on Wednesday in the New York-Penn League.

Robert Widlansky had three hits and three RBIs to lead the IronBirds (20-22), who finish their three-game set with the Tigers at 7 tonight. Oneonta then visits Tri-City for three games before returning home for one game with the ValleyCats on Monday. After an off day Tuesday, the Tigers host Staten Island for three games.

The O-Tigers (19-21), losers of seven of their last 10 games, entered Wednesday tied atop the Stedler Division with Lowell and Vermont. The Spinners (20-20) beat Staten Island, 5-2, Wednesday. Vermont (19-21) lost, 2-1, to Brooklyn.

Losing pitcher Matt Hoffman (0-3) allowed three runs on five hits over five innings. He struck out three and walked one. Anthony Shawler pitched three innings for the Tigers, allowing one run on three hits. He struck out four and walked one.

Cole McCurry (7-0) earned the victory for Aberdeen. He gave up one run on six hits in 6 1/3 innings. He struck out six and walked none and is tied for the league lead in victories with Williamsport's Robert Roth (7-1).

Aberdeen took a 1-0 lead in the third inning on an RBI double by Widlansky.

Widlansky's two-run single to center in the fifth inning made it 3-0.

Aberdeen increased its lead to 4-0 in the sixth on an RBI single from Eric Perlozzo.

Flores led off the top of the seventh with a home run to left to cut the deficit to 4-1. It was Flores' first home run this season.

Nowlin's homer _ his second of the year _ led off the top of the ninth off Brandon Cooney. However, Cooney struck out Flores looking and got Hayden Parrott to ground out to second before giving up a single to Wade Lamont.

Cooney earned his fourth save by getting Eric Harryman to pop out to first.

Brandon Douglas had two hits to lead Oneonta, which finished with eight hits, the same number as Aberdeen.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_213040038.html?keyword=topstory

Homer sinks Tigers

Staff Report

The struggling Oneonta Tigers couldn't hold a one-run lead in the ninth inning Thursday and fell, 6-5, in 12 innings at Aberdeen.

Tyler Stohr's first blown save of the season coupled with Jedidiah Stephen's walkoff home run with two out in the 12th off losing pitcher Lester Oliveros sent the O-Tigers to their eighth New York-Penn League loss in 11 games.

Stephen's sixth home run of the season came on a drive to left that allowed the IronBirds to take two of three games from Oneonta.

Billy Nowlin homered for the second straight night _ this one a grand slam _ as the O-Tigers rallied from a four-run deficit.

Nowlin's third home run of the season _ a shot to left with two out in the sixth inning off Aberdeen starter Aaron Odom _ erased a 4-0 deficit.

The O-Tigers took the lead in the eighth inning off Ryan O'Shea.

With one out, Brent Wyatt reached on a fielding error by second baseman Tom Edwards. Brandon Douglas reached on a fielder's choice grounder to short that retired Wyatt at second.

After Douglas stole second, Bryan Pounds' RBI single to center gave Oneonta a 5-4 lead.

Three walks by Stohr helped Aberdeen tie the score in the ninth.

Paul Chmiel led off with a walk and after Edwards popped up a bunt that was caught by third baseman Pounds, Kraig Binick and Caleb Joseph walked to load the bases. Robert Widlansky's groundout to first scored Chmiel to tie the score at 5.

With the potential winning run at third, Stohr got Tyler Kolodny to fly to left.

Stohr, who has 10 saves this season, had walked six batters over 13 innings, coming into Thursday.

Odom took a no-hitter into the sixth inning, when Oneonta's Mike Gosse singled to center to lead off. After Ben Guez and Wyatt were retired on flyouts, Douglas' single to right sent Gosse to second.

Pounds then walked before Nowlin's homer, which tied him with Guez for the team lead in home runs.

The Tigers (19-22) travels to Tri-City for three games against the ValleyCats, beginning at 7 tonight. Oneonta returns home to play Tri-City on Monday before hosting Staten Island for three games.

Stedler Division-leading Lowell (21-20) took a two-game lead over second-place Oneonta after a 7-2 victory over Staten Island on Thursday.

Aberdeen got two runs in the first inning off Mark Sorensen.

Joseph hit an RBI double to left and scored on Kolodny's single to left.

Stephen's RBI double in the fourth inning gave the IronBirds a 3-0 lead

Aberdeen made it 4-0 in the fifth, when Binick singled to center with one out, went to third on a double to left by Joseph and scored on Widlansky's sacrifice to center. The play resulted in a double play as O-Tigers center fielder Guez threw out Joseph at third but not before Binick crossed the plate.

Sorensen allowed four runs on seven hits over five innings.

Dan DeLucia followed with three scoreless innings of relief for Oneonta. He allowed two hits, two walks and struck out four in lowering his ERA to 1.06.

Gosse had three of the O-Tigers' seven hits.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_214040010.html?keyword=topstory

O-Tigers one-hit Tri-City

Staff Report

Trevor Feeney took a no-hitter into the eighth inning and combined with Tyler Conn on a one-hitter in the Oneonta Tigers' 6-0 New York-Penn League victory at Tri-City on Friday.

The ValleyCats' lone hit came on a single to left by Jack Shuck with two outs in the eighth inning, breaking up Feeney's no-hit bid.

Feeney, a 6-foot-1 right-hander, struck out nine and walked one in improving to 2-3 on the season.

Conn pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning to clinch Oneonta's fourth victory in its last 12 games.

Feeney's eight-inning outing represents the longest by an O-Tigers starter by two innings this season. Four Oneonta starters have pitched six innings, including Feeney in a 4-1 loss to Vermont on July 21.

He retired the first 14 Tri-City hitters _ six on strikeouts _ before Andrew Simunic reached on a fielding error by third baseman Bryan Pounds with two outs in the fifth inning.

Feeney walked Ronald Ramirez with out in the sixth and Shuck reached on a throwing error by second baseman Mike Gosse, giving Tri-City runners on first and second. But Feeney got Thomas Steele to fly to center and Phil Disher to ground out to short.

Following a perfect seventh, Feeney got Julian Henson to ground to short, but Brandon Douglas made a throwing error _ the last of Oneonta's three errors _ to start the eighth. Danny Meier then popped to second and Ramirez struck out before Shuck's single.

Feeney ended his night by striking out Steele.

The Tigers (20-22) scored twice in the first inning off losing pitcher Antonio Noguera.

Brent Wyatt led off with a single to center and advanced to second on Ben Guez's walk.

After Douglas grounded into a forceout, Pounds and Billy Nowlin hit back-to-back RBI singles.

Oneonta made it 4-0 in the third inning, when Guez, Douglas and Pounds each singled to start the inning. Pounds' single to left scored Guez.

After Nowlin walked, Gosse hit a sacrifice fly to left that scored Douglas.

The Tigers tacked on two more runs in the fourth.

Joe Bowen started the inning with a double to right. Back-to-back walks by Keith Stein and Wyatt loaded the bases and ended Noguera's night.

Guez hit a sacrifice to right off reliever Eduin Ciraco to make it 5-0 and a throwing error by catcher Julian Henson on a pickoff attempt scored Stein with Oneonta's sixth run.

Pounds had two of Oneonta's seven hits.

The second-place Tigers remained two games behind Lowell (22-20) in the Stedler Division. Lowell defeated Vermont, 7-4, Friday.

Oneonta plays the second of its three-game series at Tri-City at 7 tonight. The Tigers return home Monday to play the ValleyCats. After an off day Tuesday, Oneonta hosts Staten Island for three games.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_215040015.html

Tigers win in 12th

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Report

ONEONTA _ Brandon Douglas wasted no time giving the Oneonta Tigers the lead for good Monday night.

He singled through the left side on the first pitch he saw, scoring Luis Arlet with the go-ahead run. The Tigers scored two more times in the inning and went on to a 6-4 New York-Penn League victory over the Tri-City ValleyCats in the opening game of a doubleheader at Damaschke Field.

The ValleyCats played as the home team for the first game, which was a makeup from a weekend rainout at Tri-City. The first game took 3 hours, 43 minutes to complete. The second game was scheduled to begin around 10:15 p.m. and wasn't completed as of press time. Both games were scheduled for seven innings.

"There were a couple opportunities and it just didn't go our way," said O-Tigers manager Ryan Newman, whose team won consecutive games for the first time since beating Brooklyn in back-to-back games July 17-18. "It's nice in a game like that, especially the first game of a doubleheader in extra innings, to come out on top."

Aaron Fuhrman (3-3) earned the victory, pitching four innings of shutout ball. He had seven of the O-Tigers' 15 strikeouts. Anthony Shawler gave up a run in the bottom of the 12th, but struck out three in earning his second save.

Starter Darwin DeLeon pitched six strong innings for Oneonta (21-22), giving up two runs on three hits. He struck out four and left with the lead, but Tyler Stohr blew his second save of the year, allowing one run on two hits in the seventh.

"Everybody that took the mound tonight pitched well," Newman said. "DeLeon did a fantastic job. Stohr came in and that's unlike him to give up a run in that save situation. That's not him. Fuhrman followed and did outstanding and Shawler closed it out for us in the 12th."

Tri-City (18-26) had five pitchers combine to strike out 14 Oneonta hitters.

With the score tied at 3, Arlet led off the top of the 12th with a bunt single between first and the pitcher's mound. Brent Wyatt followed with a sacrifice bunt to move Arlet to second. Arlet took third on a wild pitch by losing pitcher Kirkland Rivers. Ben Guez then walked to put runners on the corners, bringing Douglas to the plate.

Douglas hit a slider up in the zone, driving a hard grounder between shortstop and third to score Arlet and give Oneonta a 4-3 lead.

"I was looking for something over the plate," Douglas said. "He hung a slider and I was able to get a pretty good swing on it and it went through. ... I was just looking for a good pitch to hit. Obviously, it was the first one. It was hanging and I put a good swing on it."

Rivers then had another wild pitch that got under catcher Reinaldo Pestana and went to the backstop. Pestana looked around before realizing where the ball went. Guez scored from second on the play and Douglas moved to third, giving the Tigers a 5-3 lead.

Bryan Pounds' sacrifice fly to right scored Douglas to make it 6-3.

Shawler pitched out of trouble in the bottom of the 12th. After walking Andrew Simunic, Shawler struck out Danny Meier and Pestana. Ronald Ramirez followed with a single to right to put runners on first and second. Jack Shuck singled to left and Oneonta's Hayden Parrott misplayed a hop that bounced off his glove. Simunic scored on the play, with Ramirez going to third and Shuck to second.

Shawler ended it by striking out Thomas Steele looking.

"Kind of the story is we've been getting pitching, we just haven't really clicked with the hitting part," said Douglas, the team's leading hitter with a .333 average. "It was nice to get out here and get 11 hits. The pitchers did an outstanding job, so hats off to them."

Douglas had three hits Monday.

The ValleyCats opened the scoring in the bottom of the first. With one out, Steele tripled to center and Phil Disher followed with an RBI triple to center. Jason Castro then grounded out to second, scoring Disher for a 2-0 lead.

Oneonta tied it in the top of the fifth off reliever Philip Rummel, who replaced starter Ashton Mowdy.

With one out, Wade Lamont doubled to left and went to third when Parrott grounded out to short. Tyler Weber then doubled to left, scoring Lamont to make it 2-1. Arlet followed with an RBI triple to deep right-center.

The O-Tigers took the lead in the top of the seventh when Wyatt doubled with two outs and scored when Guez singled to center.

Tri-City tied it at 3 off Oneonta closer Stohr in the bottom of the inning. Flores singled and went to second on a passed ball by Weber. After Michael Diaz flied out to left, Jonathan Gaston singled to left, scoring Flores.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_218040015.html

O-Tigers rained out

Staff Report

Consecutive rainouts Saturday and Sunday left the Oneonta Tigers with an extra game tonight and one fewer game for the remainder of their New York-Penn League season.

The O-Tigers were scheduled to play Saturday and Sunday at Tri-City, but rain forced the postponement of Saturday's game to 6 p.m. tonight that will be followed by their regularly scheduled game. Both games are scheduled for seven innings at Damaschke Field.

Sunday's rainout was cancelled because the Tigers and ValleyCats are not scheduled to play again this season.

"You can't play a triple header," O-Tigers director of operations Bob Zeh said.

It marks the second time this season an Oneonta game has been cancelled. The Tigers also lost a game against Batavia after a rainout July 24.

Oneonta (20-22) has 32 games remaining to cut into Lowell's lead in the Stedler Division. The Spinners (24-20), who defeated Vermont, 7-1, Sunday for their fifth straight victory, have a three-game lead over the second-place Tigers.

The Tigers have four games left against the Spinners _ Aug. 30-31 at Lowell and Sept. 3-4 at Damaschke Field.

Oneonta defeated Tri-City, 6-0, Saturday on a combined one-hitter by Trevor Feeney and Tyler Conn. Should the Tigers win tonight's first game, it would mark the first time they've won consecutive games since defeating Brooklyn by scores of 5-4 and 7-5 on July 17-18, respectively

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_217040015.html

O-Tigers fall short vs. Yanks

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ Four Staten Island pitchers combined on a six-hitter Wednesday as the Oneonta Tigers dropped the opener of a three-game set against the visiting Yankees, 3-2.

Oneonta stranded eight _ four in scoring position _ during its New York-Penn League loss, which drew 620 fans to Damaschke Field.

Still, the second-place Tigers (21-24) remained in 3 1/2 games behind Stedler Division frontrunner Lowell (25-21) as the Spinners fell, 7-0, to visiting Brooklyn on Wednesday. Outside of team records, the Stedler Division standings remained unchanged as Tri-City and Vermont also lost Wednesday. The ValleyCats and Lake Monsters are still six games behind Lowell as both fell to 19-27.

Oneonta and Staten Island meet at 7 tonight before closing their series at 7 p.m. Friday. The O-Tigers follow with a three-game series at Jamestown.

"That's a good ballclub over there," O-Tigers manager Ryan Newman said of the Yankees, who improved to 28-20 atop the McNamara Division. "I think all three games are going to be like this. It seems like we've played a lot of one-run games this year. ... It just didn't bounce our way tonight."

The Yankees capitalized on a one-out walk in the fifth to snap a 1-1 tie.

Addison Maruszak walked on five pitches from losing pitcher Daniel DeLucia (2-2), who then struck out David Adams for the second out. Brian Baisley teed off on the next pitch, though, sending the ball over the left-field wall for a two-run homer and a 3-1 lead.

"My plan up there is look for a fastball," said Baisley, who has six homers this season. "(DeLucia) threw one that was a pretty good pitch to hit, so I got the fat part of the bat on it. It was middle-in and down. ... I definitely like it down. I'm more of a low-ball hitter, so it was good."

Oneonta got a run back in the bottom of the inning but stranded the tying run at second.

Keith Stein led off with a walk and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Brent Wyatt, who reached first when catcher Mitch Abeita juggled and dropped the ball.

Ben Guez, who homered in the first inning, then swung at the first pitch and popped out to first in foul territory. Newman said Guez had the green light to swing away because he has been hitting the ball well lately.

"The other night in the second game (against Tri-City), he had a double, a triple and had a home run," Newman said. "He was taking nice, aggressive hacks, and a guy that's hot like that, I want him swinging a bat with a man in scoring position. It was early in the game, so I wasn't in total bunt-mode yet. He got a good pitch and just missed it."

Brandon Douglas followed with an RBI single through the right side off Staten Island starter Brandon Braboy (2-1), who escaped the first-and-second jam by striking out Bryan Pounds and getting Billy Nowlin to ground out to third.

Jason Kiley pitched a scoreless sixth and Brad Rulon followed with two shutout innings to set up ambidextrous closer Pat Venditte. He pitched a 1-2-3 ninth for his 11th save of the season.

Venditte started the inning as a right-hander and got Joe Bowen out on a comebacker, then switched to lefty to strike out Stein looking. Venditte went back to his right arm for the final out, striking out Wyatt swinging to end it.

Oneonta opened the scoring in the first, when Guez hit his team-best fourth home run over the left-field wall. The Yankees tied it in the top of the second on an RBI single by Ray Kruml.

Oneonta starter Luke Putkonen allowed one run on five hits in three innings. He struck out four and walked two. DeLucia gave up two runs on three hits over the next four innings. He struck out three and walked one.

Tyler Conn pitched one-hit ball over the last two scoreless innings, striking out three and walking one.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_220040039.html

Tough inning hurts Tigers

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ It wasn't the Fourth of July, but there were plenty of fireworks Thursday night at Damaschke Field.

Staten Island amassed 16 hits _ six in a six-run fourth inning _ to earn a 9-4 New York-Penn League victory over the Oneonta Tigers in front of 1,361 fans at Damaschke Field.

Oneonta (21-25) provided some sparks in the fifth, which ended when Yankees pitcher Casey Erickson picked off Ben Guez at first base with Brandon Douglas at the plate.

O-Tigers manager Ryan Newman argued the call with field umpire Nick Mahrley and was ejected. Home plate umpire Joel Myers then tossed Guez and designated hitter Billy Nowlin, who was in the dugout at the time of the pickoff.

After the game, Mahrley said the two players were ejected for "basically arguing."

For the second straight night, the O-Tigers and Stedler Division leader Lowell (25-22) both lost. The Spinners fell, 2-0, to visiting Brooklyn but maintained their 3 1/2-game lead on second-place Oneonta.

Vermont (20-27) took control of third place _ five games back _ with a 6-2 win at Hudson Valley. Last-place Tri-City (19-28) remained six games behind Lowell with a 9-3 loss to visiting Aberdeen.

Oneonta and Staten Island, which leads the McNamara Division at 29-20, finish their three-game series at 7 tonight. The O-Tigers then travel to Jamestown to begin a three-game set at 7 p.m. Saturday.

On Thursday, the Yankees snapped a 1-all tie with one out in the fourth as Melky Mesa and Mitch Abeita hit back-to-back triples to right field. Taylor Grote then chased O-Tigers starter Matt Hoffman (0-4) with an RBI single to left.

Jahdiel Santamaria then tripled to right on the first pitch from Mark Sorensen for a 4-1 lead.

Addison Maruszak followed with an RBI double, then scored when David Adams reached on a throwing error by shortstop Brent Wyatt to make it 6-1. Mike Lyon capped the scoring in the fourth with an RBI single to left that drove in Adams.

"We talked about the fact of taking quality swings," Staten Island manager Pat McMahon said. We put it together consecutively. It's special when it's not just one person."

Joe Bowen had three hits to lead Oneonta, which stranded five runners and hit into three double plays.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_221040028.html?keyword=topstory

Tyler Weber had two hits, but the Oneonta Tigers dropped a 5-2 New York-Penn League game to Staten Island on Friday in front of 675 fans at Damaschke Field.

By P.J. Harmer

Staff Writer

ONEONTA _ Tyler Weber had two hits, but the Oneonta Tigers dropped a 5-2 New York-Penn League game to Staten Island on Friday in front of 675 fans at Damaschke Field.

The Yankees (30-20), who lead the McNamara Division, swept the three-game series.

Oneonta (21-26) lost its fourth straight and remained 3 1/2 games behind Lowell in the Stedler Division. The Spinners (25-23) lost at home to Brooklyn, 5-2.

The Tigers travel to Jamestown for a three-game series beginning at 7 p.m. Saturday.

Staten Island snapped a 2-all tie in the top of the sixth inning.

Michael Lyon singled and Jack Rye walked off losing pitcher Trevor Feeney (2-4), prompting Oneonta manager Ryan Newman to bring in Anthony Shawler.

After Shawler struck out Steven Strausbaugh swinging, Erik Lovett reached on an error when his grounder went off the glove of first baseman Wade Lamont, who tried to make a backhanded stop. Lyon scored on the error to make it 3-2.

Taylor Grote followed with a grounder up the middle that second baseman Mike Gosse stopped with a diving grab. He flipped to shortstop Brandon Douglas at second to force out Lovett. Douglas then tried to turn the double play, but Lamont dropped the throw. Grote reached on a fielder's choice and Rye scored for a 4-2 lead.

Staten Island made it 5-2 in the seventh, when Ray Kruml singled and later scored on an error by Gosse. The Tigers committed four errors in the game.

Pat Venditte worked the ninth inning for his 12th save. After striking out Tyler Weber swinging, he gave up a single to Keith Stein. Venditte then struck out Brent Wyatt swinging and got Eric Harryman to ground out to second to end it.

Venditte, an ambidextrous pitcher, threw right-handed to everyone but Stein.

The Yankees opened the scoring in the first on an RBI double from Rye and made it 2-0 in the second on an RBI triple by Grote.

Oneonta scored its first run in the third. Weber singled to left and took second on a wild pitch from Staten Island starter Nick Montgomery. Stein then tripled to left.

Montgomery stranded Stein at third when he struck out Wyatt and got Harryman and Douglas on back-to-back groundouts to short.

The Tigers tied it in the fifth. Wyatt walked with one out and went to second when Harryman grounded out to short on a hit-and-run. Wyatt took third on a passed ball by Brian Baisley and scored when Douglas reached on a bunt single.

Scoreboard operator dies

Damaschke Field's flag rested at half-mast Friday in honor of scoreboard operator John DeMarco.

DeMarco, 48, died Friday morning after a long battle with cancer.

An area resident since moving to New Berlin from Brooklyn in the late 1990s, DeMarco had worked with the Oneonta Tigers in various positions over the past five seasons, including as the team's webmaster.

"Even when he wasn't working with us, he was here every night," O-Tigers owner Sam Nader said. "He was a fine man in every respect. We're going to miss him."

A longtime New York Yankees fan, DeMarco also assisted official scorekeeper Tom Heitz and, over the past few years, occasionally brought his guitar to sing his rendition of ÂTake Me Out To The Ballgame" during the seventh-inning stretch.

O-Tigers announcer John Horne said DeMarco always arrived at the field several hours early to help wherever he could.

"He loved being at the ballpark and in the press box," Horne said.

The O-Tigers held a moment of silence for DeMarco before Friday's game.

"He was truly a member of the Oneonta Tigers family," Nader said. "We lost a very valuable and very dear friend."

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_222040005.html?keyword=topstory