MotownWebGuy

Behavior Issues

Some threads that have been created in the political forum of late have not just crossed the line, but are on the verge of really defaming this entire site. Some have been removed, and hopefully the one suggesting McCain is a friend of NAMBLA disappears soon too. I really don't know what some people are hoping to accomplish by posting these threads. If they are supposed to be jokes - they aren't funny. Some of the deleted thread titles made BF's threads look innocuous.

We have 9 days left until the election. Maybe we should all take a breath and before we start a thread - look at the title and ask if that's going to produce a google hit that will embarrass the entire site and community, and if the answer is yes, maybe re-think posting it, or maybe re-wording it.

MotownSports isn't even a sports site right now. If you look at the "new posts" as of 11:57 p.m., all but two of the 17 threads are politically related. What's worse is that most of them, to me, are just pure garbage.

I've essentially stopped using the "new posts" function and just sift over to the Tigers and Red Wings forums, staying exclusively in those areas. I am abstaining from posting in any political threads until December.

MotownSports isn't even a sports site right now. If you look at the "new posts" as of 11:57 p.m., all but two of the 17 threads are politically related. What's worse is that most of them, to me, are just pure garbage.

I've essentially stopped using the "new posts" function and just sift over to the Tigers and Red Wings forums, staying exclusively in those areas. I am abstaining from posting in any political threads until December.

This is solely due to the poster Blue posting brief blurbs, often only one word, to try to clog the board with BF postings by bringing them all to the top at once. Infantile as can be, no doubt! after hsi other tactic of starting stupid threads was turned back he jumped onto this the past little while.

Looks like blue choosing to end his MTS days like the final scene in Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. I hate when people create childish drama to bring out the ban stick on themselves. It never made much sense to me at all.

Blue is a fine poster who did what he did to make a valid point.

No one would be talking about "forum cluttering" if there was one thread about "Obama being a Muslim" rather than 22.

I'm just worried that people basically abusing the site, like Blue/BF, etc... and clogging it with virtual garbage, will lead Mowtownsportsguy to shut down the political section altogether. Right now it's like swimming in the Rouge River back when it was totally polluted. I really hope that the actions of a few people don't cause the whole section to be closed.

Wouldn't be a bad thing to get rid of it and then ban folks who bring politics into the other areas.

Yes, lets ban everyone, period...then the forum will be much better!

No. Let's just ban people that abuse the forum, by doing things like bumping a dozen or so threads by BF up to the top. That's not engaging in discussion. That's just playing games, or what some would refer to - being a troll.

Trolls SHOULD be banned.

we can't ban Budahfan. i have a feeling that after about 10,000 posts of uselesss, non-credible, partisan drivel, he's going to post something brilliant that will make us all rethink our beliefs.

i am also waiting for Billy Mays to do an ad where he sells an actual cure for cancer for 3 low payments of $19.95 +s/h. i just hope that by that point, i haven't stopped watching infomercials. kinda like i hope that BF actually posts something worth reading before i quit reading MTS.

we can't ban Budahfan. i have a feeling that after about 10,000 posts of uselesss, non-credible, partisan drivel, he's going to post something brilliant that will make us all rethink our beliefs.

i am also waiting for Billy Mays to do an ad where he sells an actual cure for cancer for 3 low payments of $19.95 +s/h. i just hope that by that point, i haven't stopped watching infomercials. kinda like i hope that BF actually posts something worth reading before i quit reading MTS.

BF shouldn't go (well..........maybe). Like it or not, he posts things he believes. We may not agree, but that's what it's all about. The response to BF by the likes of BLUE - to attempt to clog the forum with bogus and fake anti-McCain threads - just as a reaction to BF is what is even more obnoxious. Then, when that doesn't work, searching out and bumping 12-20 BF threads up to the top - that's not political give and take. That's someone playing virtual games with the forum. That's what needs to be immediately addressed before people like that get the whole political section closed, which may be their goal, and that would be a shame if they succeeded.

BF shouldn't go. Like it or not, he posts things he believes. We may not agree, but that's what it's all about. The response to BF by the likes of BLUE - to attempt to clog the forum with bogus and fake anti-McCain threads - just as a reaction to BF is what is even more obnoxious. Then, when that doesn't work, searching out and bumping 12-20 BF threads up to the top - that's not political give and take. That's someone playing virtual games with the forum. That's what needs to be immediately addressed before people like that get the whole political section closed, which may be their goal, and that would be a shame if they succeeded.

I can't believe BF actually believes what he posts. Maybe he wants to believe it or wants others to believe it, but unless he's tin hat man he can't.

I think you're overreacting to Blue....his mock BF posts were quite well done I thought, and maybe he went a little overboard with the bumping but people have done that in the past....altho maybe not so many at once. But yes, if it keeps up a temporary ban or a PM from a mod should take care of it.

There's no difference between Blue or Buddafan ... they both need to go, as does the political forum right now. It's to close to the heart of a lot of people, and accordingly, people are acting out .. it's not conducive to logical, meaningful thought.

There's no difference between Blue or Buddafan ... they both need to go, as does the political forum right now. It's to close to the heart of a lot of people, and accordingly, people are acting out .. it's not conducive to logical, meaningful thought.

I disagree. The whole forum doesn't need to go. There were plenty of extremely interesting topics and give and take going on. And then there was BF, and he was mostly ignored. How he's been dealt with by a few people lately has been the main issue. Rather than ignoring him, some have chosen to be part of the problem and mimic him.

I would be VERY disappointed if the entire forum was closed.

I would be VERY disappointed if the entire forum was closed.

I would be disappointed if the entire forum closed as well, because I really believe that it would carry over to other forums. I wasn't around here when it (the political forum) was created, but I imagine that it was done, in part, to separate general topics from political ones. Seeing as how political topics have overtaken sports topics lately, it's not hard to imagine the B&G being dominated by politically-oriented threads on a regular basis.

I just hope that forum users might agree to some self-regulation to prevent the ridiculous behavior that we've seen lately. Maybe everyone has to consent to some new terms of use. I don't know. I'll just stay away from politics.

I think Buddahfan believes what he is posting. I also think he is SPAMing the forum. To his credit though, he did say he would be willing to change his posting patterns if the moderators told him to do so.

I would be disappointed if the entire forum closed as well, because I really believe that it would carry over to other forums. I wasn't around here when it (the political forum) was created, but I imagine that it was done, in part, to separate general topics from political ones. Seeing as how political topics have overtaken sports topics lately, it's not hard to imagine the B&G being dominated by politically-oriented threads on a regular basis.

I just hope that forum users might agree to some self-regulation to prevent the ridiculous behavior that we've seen lately. Maybe everyone has to consent to some new terms of use. I don't know. I'll just stay away from politics.

I would tend to agree with this. Closing the political forum is just begging to have these issues spread to other sections of MTS like a cancer. Most of the posts right now are in the political forum because we have a very big election taking place while simultaneously, we have the biggest financial crisis of our generation taking place. It's like Super Bowl time for politics. I'm sure it will naturally calm down in a couple of weeks.

Just leave it. Ignore Blue or Buddhafan if they bother you. I personally don't mind either. I take the piss out of Buddhafan in a few of his threads because I think he's posting ridiculous stuff, but I in no way think he shouldn't be allowed to post it. Whining about it constantly will force the mods to act and they're liable to do something to curtail future whining like... close down the political forums and putting the kabosh on any further politically related posting, which would be a real shame considering some of the minds we have on this board.

Seriously, just leave it be. You gotta take hte good with the bad.

Edit: g'night, Huey. :)

Yo. I am grading papers so I will be up a bit longer. I always return them fully commented-upon and scored within 24 hours so I have a bot more to do this evening. IT is fun reading what a bunch of duffer grad students have to say about Perennialism.

I take full responsibility for my actions in the forum last night. I wouldn't do anything differently, except maybe find a more productive way to spend my time. I don't know why everyone here wants to pretend like Buddahfan isn't the root of the problem. The powers that be haven't found an effective way to deal with it, and I think that was part of what caused last night's fallout. We have been encouraged to just ignore BF's posts, as if that will solve all our problems. As far as I can see, BF isn't the least bit concerned about that. He continues to plunder away with impunity. Further, to allow him to post without challenge could be viewed as the other side conceding the point he's making. That I'm quite unwilling to do. There has to be a more pro-active approach short of banning everyone you don't like.

I take full responsibility for my actions in the forum last night. I wouldn't do anything differently, except maybe find a more productive way to spend my time. I don't know why everyone here wants to pretend like Buddahfan isn't the root of the problem. The powers that be haven't found an effective way to deal with it, and I think that was part of what caused last night's fallout. We have been encouraged to just ignore BF's posts, as if that will solve all our problems. As far as I can see, BF isn't the least bit concerned about that. He continues to plunder away with impunity. Further, to allow him to post without challenge could be viewed as the other side conceding the point he's making. That I'm quite unwilling to do. There has to be a more pro-active approach short of banning everyone you don't like.

Well, the solution to stopping alleged spamming behavior isn't to start spamming yourself. What happened last night was a couple of people becoming part of the problem through escalation.

The problem we have in trying to limit buddahfan's threads is how do you define it? What would you propose the policy be? "Please don't start stupid threads?" Anything I can think of would be too generic and subjective to really mean anything. I strongly oppose any type of censorship on what sites are appropriate to link stories from. The users define what's legitimate by their responses.

As far as I'm concerned the problems from last night have been dealt with and I'm happy to just forget it ever happened. Carry on.