tigerdon

2008 Oneonta roster

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_168040036.html

2008 Oneonta Tigers Roster

#NAMEPOSDOBHTWTB-THOMETOWN2007 CLUB

40Mark Brackman RHP3-23-856-7230R-RKansas City, Mo.Oneonta

12Tyler Conn LHP11-9-855-11185L-LOcean Springs, Miss.So. Miss.

1Darwin DeLeon LHP9-5-886-0150L-LSanto Domingo, PRDSL Tigers

13Daniel DeLucia LHP6-1-856-4220L-LColumbus, OhioOhio State

22Trevor Feeny RHP6-4-866-1185R-RChannahon, Ill.Northern Illinois

7Sean Finefrock RHP2-11-876-6200R-RYukon, Okla.Oneonta

29Aaron Fuhrman LHP4-2-886-0185L-LSaylorsburg, Penn.GCL Tigers

56Luis Gill RHP2-12-846-1170R-RCastillo, DRWest Michigan

26Steve Gilman RHP10-1-856-1205R-RAnnandale, N.J.Yale University

46Lester Oliveros RHP5-28-886-0185R-RMaracay, VenezuelaVSL Tigers

51Luke Putkonen RHP5-10-866-6200R-RLake Lady, Fla.GCL Tigers

30Anthony ShawlerRHP5-16-876-3185R-RChesapeake, Va.Old Dominion

20Mark Sorensen RHP2-21-866-3200R-RNorthville, Mich.Michigan State

54Tyler Stohr RHP9-19-866-2210R-RViara, Fla.U. of North Florida

48David Stokes RHP7-19-866-8245R-RLocust Grove, Okla.Liberty

23Joe Bowen C 9-25-876-1190S-ROcala, Fla.Oneonta

17Tyler Weber C 2-25-866-3220R-RWichita, Kan.Wichita State

15Mike Gosse INF5-30-865-7160L-RPitt Meadows, BCU. of Oklahoma

7Eric Harryman INF10-26-845-10170R-RCorona, Calif.GCL Tigers

27Wade Lamont INF6-25-846-2230L-RSarasota, Fla.GCL Tigers

14Bryan Pounds INF10-4-856-0185R-RHouston, TexasU. of Houston

52Carlos Ramirez INF9-1-855-11190R-RSanto Domingo, DRLakeland

18Brent Wyatt INF1-25-855-10185S-REllensburg, W.Va.Louis-Clark St.

35Joaquin Guzman INF9-22-866-0170S-RBani, DRGCL Tigers

39Luis Arlet OF11-8-845-11174R-RAzua, DRGCL Tigers

24Ben Guez OF1-24-876-0180R-RHouston, TexasWilliam and Mary

28Chris White OF11-12-876-0180S-RLompac, Calif.Oneonta

11Keith Stein OF N/A5-10185L-RN/ASam Houston

31Hayden Parrott OF4-11-886-1195R-RHouston, TexasGCL Tigers

Manager: Ryan Newman. Pitching Coach: Alan Wells. Hitting Coach: Luis Quinones.

Athletic Trainer: Tyler DePew. Strength Coach: Eric Pohl.

http://www.thedailystar.com/localsports/local_story_168040021.html

ONEONTA _ Here for barely an hour Sunday, Keith Stein was already trying to figure out how the confines of Damaschke Field could work to his advantage.

One of the newest Oneonta Tigers, Stein said the scenic mountain backdrop behind the outfield wall might help hitters pick up balls off the hands of opposing pitchers.

"It's a cool thing because where I'm from, it's very flat and there aren't many hills," said Stein, of College Station, Texas. "I went out to the field and the background is sweet. ... It's probably going to be able to make you see the ball a little better, too. It's going to be fun."

Stein, an outfielder Detroit selected out of Sam Houston State in the 29th round of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft, was part of a large contingent of Oneonta Tigers who arrived in the city Sunday afternoon.

Reigning Stedler Division champion Oneonta begins its 2008 New York-Penn League season at 7:05 p.m. Tuesday at Vermont. The Tigers follow a three-game set against the Lake Monsters with a game at Tri-City, then play their home opener at 7 p.m. Saturday against the ValleyCats. Tri-City hosts the final game of their three-game series Sunday. Next Monday, the O-Tigers open a four-game homestand _ three against the Lowell Spinners and the last against Tri-City.

"I got to experience the division championship last year and the couple of guys that I've seen _ catchers and pitchers _ I think we're going to come together really well," said right-handed pitcher Sean Finefrock, who went 3-5 with a 5.98 ERA in 12 games for Oneonta last season. "I haven't really seen a lot of position players. I see a lot of consistency and a lot of guys doing things right day in and day out. That's what you have to do _ stay consistent. I think we'll have that and maybe a little bit more."

Oneonta finished 45-34 last season under first-year manager Andy Barkett, winning the Stedler Division for the fourth time in six seasons. Eventual league champion Auburn eliminated the Tigers in the opening round of the playoffs, winning the best-of-three series, two games to one.

Barkett was promoted to manage Single-A Lakeland this year, leaving the O-Tigers in the hands of first-time manager Ryan Newman.

Most of the O-Tigers arrived in Oneonta via bus Sunday afternoon after flying into Albany. The rest were scheduled to be here by this morning. The Tigers feature 13 draft picks on their initial 28-man roster this season.

"I love it. The clubhouse is nice, the field is beautiful and the town is great," said left-handed pitcher Aaron Fuhrman, who went 2-7 with a 5.25 ERA with the Gulf Coast League Tigers last year. "I'm excited to get out here and play in front of the Oneonta fans. ... Everybody is excited and has been waiting for this. We have a lot of talent through the draft, we feel very comfortable with the talent coming into the season and we're ready to go."

Mike Gosse, a second baseman selected by Detroit in the 23rd-round out of Oklahoma, said he liked the baseball feel of Oneonta and Damaschke Field.

"Not everything is done for you and it's not what a lot of people expect," said Canadian Gosse, who is from Pitt Meadows, British Columbia. "It's a little, small town where you just come to play baseball.

"It's not a big, fancy stadium, but it's not about that," he continued. "It's about the baseball, especially at this level. That's kind of what the first thing I thought was that I like how it's a smaller stadium. It's more about watching the game."

Any idea on the rotation? Brackman - Putkonen - Fuhrman - Shawler - one of the senior signings?

I'm betting one is DeLeon, who is better known as Eduardo Reynoso...

There's often a lot of tandem starting in short season ball, as they try to protect the arms of some of the young guys.

Also, I doubt this is a final roster, as there have traditionally been several last minute changes to the Oneonta roster.

Also, Hayden Parrott and Joaquim Guzman have been brought from West Michigan to Oneonta. That leaves an outfielder and infielder to be added to West Michigan's roster. I'm guessing Andrew Dirks starts at West Michigan?

There's often a lot of tandem starting in short season ball, as they try to protect the arms of some of the young guys.

Also, I doubt this is a final roster, as there have traditionally been several last minute changes to the Oneonta roster.

Also, Hayden Parrott and Joaquim Guzman have been brought from West Michigan to Oneonta. That leaves an outfielder and infielder to be added to West Michigan's roster. I'm guessing Andrew Dirks starts at West Michigan?

I was thinking the same thing with Dirks, as well as Avila, Green and possibly Jacobson

TY Ed...Forgot about DeLeon's other name there.

Is Parrot exclusively an OF, now? I thought they had him moved to third last year.

TY Ed...Forgot about DeLeon's other name there.

Is Parrot exclusively an OF, now? I thought they had him moved to third last year.

Parrott struggled at third. He's in the outfield for good now.

It's looking good, I do believe... I'll be making a few trips up there this year, as you could all imagine.

This looks like a younger team than most we've had in the NYPL lately. Nice to see.

Nothing announced for the 3 open spots but should come b-4 they leave for South Bend Thursday..

Is there anyone else here looking at attending any Oneonta games? If so, let me know!

I won't be attending in Oneonta, but I'll probably catch games in Lowell, Try-Valley, and Vermont.

Let me know, Mark... if you get over to Tri-Valley or Vermont, perhaps I'll roadtrip.