DaBishop

Carmelo?

Any player in the right system can play defense. Richard Hamilton was considered to be a huge defensive liability when he came to Detroit and his improvement on that side of the court was much better than expected from the start and has improved each season. Stackhouse was a joke defensively and under Carlisle he was a very respectable defensive player. George Karl's teams in Denver were not at all focused on defense and as such Carmelo was allowed to be a weak defender. In Detroit that just won't be acceptable and he'll follow the lead of the coach and the other players already on the team in understanding the importance of defense. It happened with Pierce and Allen this year in Boston, it happened in San Antonio with guys like Parker and Ginobli. He may never be a great defender but he'll do his job.

I was getting at this. But you put it so much more eloquently.

Good work.

As long as the deal involved Billups, sing me up.

Considering Denver wants their "Hometown Hero," he is pretty much required for anything to get done. Especially considering they lack a true PG.

That's why I listed Max, the #29 pick, and filler. Not all deals in the NBA are equal...look at the deals for Gasol, KG, and even Sheed. If Denver wants to move Anthony and bring in their hometown hero, Chauncey, then the deal will work. Teams know they cannot get equal value when trading away a superstar, but this deal lets them move Melo, takes an aging Center off their hands, gives them all-star hometown hero PG, a young versatile SF, another young PF in Max, and another first round draft pick. Really, it's a pretty good deal on both sides.

If I'm the Nuggets I still don't think Max and #29 is enough for both guys. I think it might be feasible that the Pistons could trade Max and Billups for Camby and Atkins. And I would be fine with that.

Then all the Pistons would need to do is use Sheed's expiring in a sign and trade (prominent possible FA include Brand, Jamison, Ellis, Okafor, Iguodala, Josh Smith just off the top of my head).

I am completely convinced that any team that wants Melo will also have to take on Kenyon Martin and his giant contract.

Billups + Prince + Dice + Max+ 29 + Salary Filler

for

Melo + Camby + Kmart + Salary Filler

Since Kmart has extremely negative trade value due to his contract, we would probably have to give up less to get the other guys.

I think a Sheed-Camby-Kmart-Amir Front Court Rotation would be pretty solid.

I think it might be feasible that the Pistons could trade Max and Billups for Camby and Atkins. And I would be fine with that.

That would be completely lopsided in Denver's favor and it doesn't get Melo, which was really the whole point of the talks in the first place. Joe said something like, "I'm not looking at other teams second or third best guys". I think you may be underestimating Chauncey's value in the eyes of the other GMs.

That would be completely lopsided in Denver's favor and it doesn't get Melo, which was really the whole point of the talks in the first place. Joe said something like, "I'm not looking at other teams second or third best guys". I think you may be underestimating Chauncey's value in the eyes of the other GMs.

Maybe you're right. Which is funny because I've always been a guy that was low on Carmelo and a Billups slappy. Now you know why I'm not a GM.

'Smarter' Melo to return here

Former SU star to lead Nuggets against Suns in NBA exhibition at Dome Oct. 17.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

By Mike Waters, Staff writer

Five years after leading Syracuse University to the 2003 NCAA championship, Carmelo Anthony will return to play in the Carrier Dome next fall.

Anthony will lead his Denver Nuggets in an NBA preseason game against the Phoenix Suns on Oct. 17 at the Carrier Dome.

"It is always great to be able to come back and play at the Dome," Anthony said via e-mail on Wednesday. "I hope it will be a special night."

This will be the eighth NBA preseason game in the Dome's history and the first since 2003. The 2003 event featured Anthony as a rookie with the Nuggets against the Detroit Pistons.

SU fans figure to see a much different player this time around.

Anthony had played in just a few NBA preseason games prior to his last visit to the Dome. Since then, Anthony has led Denver to the NBA playoffs five straight times.

"Well, I think I am a smarter player now," Anthony said. "My rookie year that game was one of my first NBA games. Now I understand the NBA and the role I play on my team. I know that I have to play a leadership role and do whatever I have to do to win."

Anthony was named to the NBA's All-Star game for the second consecutive year this past season. He helped the Nuggets to a 50-32 record, the third-best Nuggets record since the team officially joined the NBA in 1976. Denver lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round of the NBA playoffs despite Anthony's averages of 22.5 points and 9.5 rebounds in the four-game series.

Last year, Anthony pledged $3 million toward the building of a new basketball practice facility at Syracuse University. The Carmelo K. Anthony Center is scheduled to open in the fall of 2009.

In his e-mail, Anthony said he hoped to swing by the Melo Center and check on its progress.

Arthur Jackson, president of Washington D.C.-based One-on-One Basketball, Inc., which is organizing the game in October, said getting the Nuggets and bringing back Anthony to Syracuse was key to staging the event.

"Absolutely. It was a crucial piece of the puzzle," Jackson said. "Being able to get him back to the Dome and then getting a team like Phoenix in there to play him just added to the

value."

Tickets, which will be priced at $39.50, $29.50 and $19.50, will go on sale at 10 a.m. Saturday at all Ticketmaster locations or by Ticketmaster charge-by-phone (315-472-0700) as well as the Carrier Dome box office. Tickets will also be available online at www.suathletics.com.

Syracuse University season-ticket holders who wish to purchase preferred seats will receive a special order form in the mail. Non season-ticket holders will be able to buy preferred seats on Saturday.

Jackson said One-on-One's New York state director Chris Cordes, a Cazenovia native who graduated from SU in 1981, proposed the preseason game. Cordes promoted games at the Dome in 1990, 1991 and 2003 plus a game at the Onondaga County War Memorial in 1986 featuring Pearl Washington and the New Jersey Nets.

"This is the fifth game I've done in Syracuse and it's far and away the best matchup," Cordes said. "You can put together a starting five all-star team, a great one, from the players in this game. Carmelo obviously has folk hero status here. You have Shaquille O'Neal, who's iconic, plus Allen Iverson, Steve Nash and Amare Stoudamire. We'll have three former MVPs in Nash, Iverson and Shaq. And defensive player of the year with Marcus Camby."

Cordes also noted the possibility of Phoenix drafting Syracuse's Donte Greene with the No. 15 pick in the NBA Draft later this month.

The largest crowd for an NBA preseason game at the Dome was set in 1992 when 28,602 came out to see Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls against the New Jersey Nets. The 2003 Denver-Detroit game drew a crowd of 20,315 to the Dome.

Anthony averaged 22.1 points and 10.0 rebounds per game in his one and only season at Syracuse. In leading Syracuse to its first NCAA crown, Anthony was named the Most Outstanding Player at the Final Four.

"He made a huge impact on the Syracuse University basketball program and continues to do so," Cordes said. "I think this community embraced him and they'll be excited to see him back at the Carrier Dome."

Mike Waters can be reached at 470-3086 or mwaters@syracuse.com.

http://www.syracuse.com/sports/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1213261220231590.xml

Haywood says Melo must do dirty work

By Benjamin Hochman

The Denver Post

Article Last Updated: 06/11/2008 11:46:37 PM MDT

Spencer Haywood believes the Nuggets need to develop a tougher attitude and also should look into the possibility of trading power forward Kenyon Martin. (Tom Donoghue, Getty Iamges )

Forty summers ago, basketball star Spencer Haywood won gold for the United States at the politically charged 1968 Olympics in Mexico City. In 1969-1970, he played his first professional season in the ABA for the Denver Rockets. He retired from the NBA in 1983.

Haywood, 59, is an outspoken basketball mind, blogging often about his own life in the game, as well as the current state of the NBA.

Q: As a rookie for the Rockets, you led the league in scoring (30 points per game) and rebounding (19.5). What are your thoughts on current Denver scoring star, Carmelo Anthony?

A: I think Carmelo Anthony has to decide who he wants to be. He came into the league with a lot of fanfare, has the skills to do things, but isn't following through on the other aspects of his game. You look at the guys he came in with. Dwyane Wade has become a strong defensive player, serious team player. And the "King" is the king. LeBron James is about winning, defense, whatever it takes. I don't see that with Melo. He seems to want to get his 30 points but not do the dirty work that's necessary. Now, I like his outside shot, but he needs to get his body in there and do the dirty work inside.

And — get the braids out. The style is dead.

Q: What are your thoughts on the current Nuggets?

A: It would be exciting to see some of those Denver players with that type of urgency and attitude (as the NBA Finals teams). As always, maybe next year.

I would have to let Kenyon Martin go. I don't know if Nene is healthy or what, but those guys would be on my trading block. I'd try to find someone who can really fulfill that power forward spot.

Q: You have a very interesting blog at legendsofbasketball.com. Why did you decide to get involved with this?

A: I thought it would be a way for us to amplify our voice as a retired players association, a thousandfold. And everybody's always talking about my sense of humor, always laughing and enjoying life. I started doing it as if my life depends upon it. It's an opportunity for me to let it all out — and share a part of me.

And, when I picked the Giants to win the Super Bowl, people said, 'Is he nuts?'

Q: You were at Colorado's Trinidad State Junior College when you joined the Olympic team in 1968. What were some of your memories of those Games?

A: We all lived in the same living quarters. (Boxer) George Foreman, (sprinters) John Carlos and Tommie Smith (who wore the black gloves during the national anthem), we all hung out. We had (legendary sprinter) Jessie Owens come in to talk to us. I remember him talking and guys were whispering, "This Uncle Tom!" and he got a little heated up and said, "How would you S.O.B.'s have felt running before Hitler? Huh? Huh? Huh?" That was the defining moment — like "Whoa."

We were going against our own people's wishes, is what we thought (by not boycotting the Olympics). But it wasn't black people's wishes that we were boycotting. Because when we returned, we were treated like we were American heroes.

They gave me a five-minute standing ovation at that Mexican Olympics. And I cried like I was a 2-year-old baby. I remember (African-American activist and professor) Harry Edwards saying, "What are you going to do to make a (political) statement?" But look at my situation. Three years before the Olympics, do you know what I was doing? I was picking cotton in the Delta of Mississippi, making $2 a day. All of a sudden I have a passport, eating, living the American dream. How do you make that jump? Only in America.

Fashion statement

Five reasons Spencer Haywood's era, the 1970s, were the most distinctive fashion era, according to the man himself:

1 Because of the music and the freedom of coming out of the '60s, we had diverse styles. Some people were into the hippie thing, some were crawling into the disco era. It was the most creative period.

2 My pinstripe suits.

3 The hair — the Afros, the long hair — everything was an experiment (in) individuality.

4 Platform shoes — though for a guy that's 6-foot-8, that's not really a cool thing.

5 Bell-bottoms. But the one problem with the bell-bottoms was, once, I was running to catch a bus (and) the bell-bottoms got caught under my platforms and I fell and hurt my wrist. I missed the next game. Only in the '70s could that happen.

I believe Rip and Amir both dumped their corn rows months ago.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_9557094

Who cares about the dude's hair style?

At this point, I think that anyone who honestly doesn't want Carmelo on the Pistons is crazy. If they could get Camby and somehow keep Sheed, that front line would hands down be the best in the league. And if they could keep Rip on top of that... that team would win a championship in the next 2 years.

If the Pistons get Carmelo, I will be among the first to get his #15 in Pistons blue.

Other than that, all of the other trades mentioned suck IMO. Especially the ones about T-Mac and anything with the Bobcats that doesn't include Okafor.

Who cares about the dude's hair style?

Not me, but I do care about this:

You look at the guys he came in with. Dwyane Wade has become a strong defensive player, serious team player. And the "King" is the king. LeBron James is about winning, defense, whatever it takes. I don't see that with Melo. He seems to want to get his 30 points but not do the dirty work that's necessary.

Like I've asked before, what does this do for the problem Dumars said his team had? And this isn't some isolated opinion of Anthony, it's shared by many.

Haywood bashes Melo's rebounding and says he should be banging around up front, but the guy averaged 7.4 rebounds this season compared to LBJ's 7.9. That isn't even the problem.

According to this article the Pistons offered Billups and Prince for Anthony and Denver countered by offering AI or Camby. Apparently the Pistons are only interested in Anthony. Take it for what it's worth.

Representatives for Carmelo Anthony will meet with Denver Nuggets management on Monday to discuss the possibility of a trade, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

--- snip ---

The meeting is being initiated by Anthony, who has grown tired of hearing his name mentioned in trade rumors.

--- snip ---

If the Nuggets don't commit to building around Anthony -- and instead demonstrate a willingness to trade him -- he will ask to be moved. Believing he will remain with the Nuggets, Anthony has not put together a list of teams he wants to be traded to.

Speculation about a deal involving Anthony began in May when reports surfaced that New Jersey had contacted Denver about a trade for the two-time All-Star forward. While the likelihood of a trade to the Nets was never high, executives around the league insisted that Nuggets coach George Karl was indeed ready to trade Anthony.

At this point, I think that anyone who honestly doesn't want Carmelo on the Pistons is crazy. If they could get Camby and somehow keep Sheed, that front line would hands down be the best in the league. And if they could keep Rip on top of that... that team would win a championship in the next 2 years.

I find it just as crazy to automatically assume that he's the guy you build a championship team around. What makes Carmelo any different from Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, etc? These talented players have all found it easy to get by scoring and doing nothing else as the go to guy on a marginal team with limited expectations.

I'm just not that big of a fan of Anthony. To me he's an all-star talent but not yet good enough to be the superstar that his marketing handlers at Nike make him out to be.

According to this article the Pistons offered Billups and Prince for Anthony and Denver countered by offering AI or Camby. Apparently the Pistons are only interested in Anthony. Take it for what it's worth.

Denver denied that it was looking to trade Anthony, but the rumors have persisted. Detroit recently offered Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince for Anthony, but the Nuggets weren't interested. Denver countered with an offer of Allen Iverson or a package built around Marcus Camby, but the Pistons are only interested in Anthony.

These rumors are coming from the Denver press. Go and read some of the Denver newspapers. There are an awful lot of Denver press and fans that are just dieing to get rid of him. They are sick and tired of his antics and not showing up in critical games to say nothing of his night in and night our refusal to play any defense except when the mood strikes him which is not very often at all.

In fact if you read the Denver media about this proposed trade they are drooling over this trade.

If Denver fans and sports writers can't wait to dump Anthony they can dump him on someone else not us.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3455530

Anyone who thinks that at this time with Stuckey's limited NBA point guard experience that we can trade Billups, start Stuckey next year and go as far in the playoffs as we have done the last 6 years is drinking double portions of the extra strength cool-aid.

I find it just as crazy to automatically assume that he's the guy you build a championship team around. What makes Carmelo any different from Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter, Gilbert Arenas, Baron Davis, etc? It's easy for a talented player to get by scoring and doing nothing else as the go to guy on a marginal team with limited expectations. I'm just not that big of a fan. To me he's an all-star talent but not yet good enough to be the superstar that his marketing handlers at Nike make him out to be.

What makes Anthony different? He seems to have more off the court issues pop up than the others.

I have to say though...if we got him, it's not like he'd be a lone cog on a relatively bad team. He'd be surrounded by a very good team of players who are exceptional role players(which is basically what Detroit is, a bunch of great role-players). That's kinda the key to building a great team, one superstar surrounded by good role-players....and we've got great role-players. Don't know if I want him or not, but I'm willing to give it a try.

Melo's weakness is his off-ball defense. He gets blocks, grabs boards, contests his man IF he has the ball...

but if his man doesn't have the ball he drifts, and is among the worst in the league. i believe under a disciplined system he can change. Karl is known for not disciplining his players. he is NOT a lost cause, but hes going to have to work.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080622/SPORTS03/806220671/1051/rss16

Report: Nuggets reject offer of 2 Pistons for Carmelo

The Pistons are in ongoing trade discussions with the Denver Nuggets, with two All-Stars as the potential centerpieces, a team source told the Free Press on Saturday.

Advertisement

The Nuggets want to bring point guard Chauncey Billups back to his hometown, and the Pistons are looking to make good on their botched 2003 draft and bring high-scoring forward Carmelo Anthony to Detroit, the person confirmed.

But while talks are ongoing, the Nuggets, at this point, are reluctant to include Anthony in any deal. The Pistons source said the sides are "not even close" to an agreement. It's unclear what it might take to pry away Anthony.

ESPN.com reported, without citing a source, that the Pistons offered Billups and Tayshaun Prince for Anthony. But the Nuggets weren't interested. Denver countered with an offer of Allen Iverson or a package featuring Marcus Camby, but the Pistons are only interested in Anthony.

President Joe Dumars said at his season-ending news conference that he wanted to bust up his core this summer and that he was open to moving any player besides point guard Rodney Stuckey.

"There are no sacred cows here," Dumars said. "You lose that sacred-cow status when you lose three straight years" in the conference finals.

Dumars also has said he is not interested in other teams' second- or third-best players, a category into which Iverson and Camby would fall.

ESPN.com reported that Anthony is meeting with the Nuggets' front office Monday to ensure that the team is not looking to trade him. He has said he wants to stay in Denver.

The Pistons passed on Anthony in the 2003 draft, opting at No. 2 for big man Darko Milicic, who struggled and eventually was traded. Denver took Anthony at No. 3.

Anthony, a two-time All-Star, averaged 25.7 points -- fourth-most in the NBA -- this season. He has three more years guaranteed on his contract, worth $47.3 million. He also has a player's option worth $18.5 million for the 2011-12 season.

Billups signed a $60.5-million, four-year deal with a team-option fifth year last summer. He is a Denver native and played two years at the University of Colorado. He is still heavily involved in the Denver community through charitable programs.

Dumars said in early June that he did not expect to make a trade before the NBA draft, which is Thursday night.

Contact KRISTA JAHNKE at 313-223-4493 or kjahnke@freepress.com.

Just more follow up on NotoriousCPC post.

I love hearing they are trying to move Billups.

Melo's weakness is his off-ball defense. He gets blocks, grabs boards, contests his man IF he has the ball...

but if his man doesn't have the ball he drifts, and is among the worst in the league. i believe under a disciplined system he can change. Karl is known for not disciplining his players. he is NOT a lost cause, but hes going to have to work.

If it's true that Karl is interested in trading Anthony I have to wonder why. It's hard to believe that it's because of defensive lapses. I still think Denver initiated discussions because they desperately want a PG. It just doesn't make sense to me that they would trade away their young, face of the franchise player, leaving them with an aging Iverson as their centerpiece.

If it's true that Karl is interested in trading Anthony I have to wonder why. It's hard to believe that it's because of defensive lapses. I still think Denver initiated discussions because they desperately want a PG. It just doesn't make sense to me that they would trade away their young, face of the franchise player, leaving them with an aging Iverson as their centerpiece.

Anthony's problem isn't just defensive "lapses," it's downright defensive INDIFFERENCE. Same with rebounding. He just doesn't seem to care.

Sources: Anthony to address trade rumors; Agent denies report

By Chris Broussard

ESPN The Magazine

Updated: June 22, 2008, 12:33 PM ET

Representatives for Carmelo Anthony will meet with Denver Nuggets management on Monday to discuss the possibility of a trade, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Anthony is expected to attend the meeting, though his presence is not a certainty.

The meeting is being initiated by Anthony, who has grown tired of hearing his name mentioned in trade rumors. His desire is to stay in Denver and he wants assurances from the Nuggets that they will not trade him. Anthony's party expects to get those assurances on Monday, according to the sources. If the Nuggets don't commit to building around Anthony -- and instead demonstrate a willingness to trade him -- he will ask to be moved. Believing he will remain with the Nuggets, Anthony has not put together a list of teams he wants to be traded to.

When reached by Denver newspapers on Saturday, Anthony's agent denied trade talks.

"I am only coming to Denver to support Melo on his DUI court case Tuesday. Any planned discussions with the Nuggets will be about any penalty if he is charged," Calvin Andrews told The Denver Post.

Anthony was arrested on a DUI charge in Denver on April 14. The Nuggets forward was arrested on Interstate 25, police said. He was alone in the car and pulled over for weaving and not dimming his lights.

Detective Sharon Hahn said Anthony failed a series of sobriety tests. He was charged with DUI, then taken to police headquarters before being released to a "sober responsible party," Hahn said.

In a follow up phone conversation later Saturday with Denver TV station KDVR, Andrews attempted to explain the genesis of the reports. "Somebody could have told [the reporter] I was coming into town, and could have assumed I was trying to shake things up, but that is just not the case," reiterated Andrews.

Andrews was asked whether the public should still assume trade talks won't surface during a conversation about Anthony's DUI case. "I'm sure it will come up but the bottom line is I don't have a meeting to talk about trades."

To Andrews' knowledge, Anthony has not demanded the Nuggets talk to him either, nor will Anthony be in Denver to talk with the organization himself at the beginning of the week. "He won't even be in Denver on Monday. Melo will be in Chicago with a USA basketball conference on Monday."

Andrews was also asked whether Anthony would attempt to talk to the Nuggets via teleconference. "There is no plan [for Anthony] to talk on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday."

Now, after all the confusion and frustration with these current reports, Andrews hinted to KDVR that he may not come to Denver after all. "I feel like even if I show up now, people will assume that is why I was going there all along."

Speculation about a deal involving Anthony began in May when reports surfaced that New Jersey had contacted Denver about a trade for the two-time All-Star forward. While the likelihood of a trade to the Nets was never high, executives around the league insisted that Nuggets coach George Karl was indeed ready to trade Anthony.

Denver denied that it was looking to trade Anthony, but the rumors have persisted. Detroit recently offered Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince for Anthony, but the Nuggets weren't interested. Denver countered with an offer of Allen Iverson or a package built around Marcus Camby, but the Pistons are only interested in Anthony. Total BS - The Pistons never made such an offer, or otherwise it would have been reported as an offer by a local Detroit media news source. All of the local media sources that mentioned it quoted a Denver source.

Executives with other teams say Denver's management group is divided over Anthony's place with the team. They say Karl wants to trade him, but that general manager Mark Warkentien and club advisor Bret Bearup are against the move.

Anthony, 24, averaged 25.7 points and a career-high 7.4 rebounds last season but was unable to get the Nuggets out of the first round of the playoffs for the fifth straight season. Anthony struggled badly in this year's playoffs, averaging 22.5 points on 36.4 percent shooting in a sweep by the Los Angeles Lakers.

Chris Broussard covers the NBA for ESPN The Magazine. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3455530

Anthony's problem isn't just defensive "lapses," it's downright defensive INDIFFERENCE. Same with rebounding. He just doesn't seem to care.

He improved his rebounding a lot this past season, averaging 8 RPG and 3 offensive RPG. Those are pretty good numbers for a guy playing the 3.