slim pickens

Katrina Hancock says Pittsburgh fans better than Detroit....

No clue how fans are in Pittsburgh, but his interview and facts didn't take into account the fact that we had an NBA team on TV the same nights.

Of course they will have higher hockey ratings....it's the only thing going on there, we had the Pistons on during the same times. If the Stones aren't on, we would have crushed those Nielson ratings.

It was funny that he did his "huge" fan support story from a bar with like 20 people in it. lol

Edit: Just watched this again and it never shows the question he asks before she says "I'd have to say Pittsburgh". Just thought I'd throw that out there before this girl gets a bad rap.

It was funny that he did his "huge" fan support story from a bar with like 20 people in it. lol

LMAO...I had more people standing in front of the corner 7-11, then they had in that bar!

We all know who has the better fans. Does it really even matter. Who has the cup. Not Pittsburgh. She sounds like a guy anyways.

Katrina Hancock really annoyed me when she first took over WDIV Final Edition after Fred McLeod left town, but she's been growing on me. I thought she was OK throughout the Stanley Cup playoffs, and yeah, she may have been suckered on this one.

Her first name implies she's a disaster.....end of story....

Coming from anybody else, this isn't funny.

I guess she's entitled to her opinion...and fans are entitled to call her news director and complain...so I mean, it's a wash really.

Hockeytown isn't just about the Wings. Its about juniors, and pee wees and mites and the OHL and high school hockey, women's hockey, backyard rinks, etc...

This town loves hockey...not just the wings.

Facts:

JLA was sold out for YEARS (452 straight games) - Pittsburgh's 67 games in a row are good - but call us after a decade or so.

The Penguins are the only pro-team in town for the majority of the NHL season. It's main spring competitor is the Pirates, a team without a winning record since 1992. Wow - tough competition for that sports ticket.

The TV Audience barometer he quotes neglects to mention that the Pistons were competing for the same TV Audience, as well as CBC Channel 9 out of Canada, which isn't counted in any American Ratings book, which that clown from Pittsburgh was quoting.

I'm not saying that Pittsburgh is a bad sports town, but the way to make your case isn't to say that your "Great" by saying others aren't.

Penguins fans may indeed be better fans than Wings fans. However, wasn't it like 2 or 3 years ago that they were talking about moving that franchise due to exteremely low attendance? I would say it's more like a case of what the hell has that town had to celebrate since the Pens last won a Cup? Bunch of bandwagoners if you ask me.

Facts:

JLA was sold out for YEARS (452 straight games) - Pittsburgh's 67 games in a row are good - but call us after a decade or so.

Not only that, but because they play in a 17k seat arena and have relatively low ticket prices, the Pens generate below the league average in gate receipts.

Anyways, all this talk about who has better hockey fans is healthy; I wish there were more cities not less challenging Detroit in that area. Boston (including at the college level) and St.Louis and Chicago are 3 cities that come to mind that are traditionally strong hockey markets but that need a boost.

Wings fans are a little jaded.....I mean 4 cups in 11 years.....(I drove 400 miles to watch game 5 in a Detroit bar)

Picture this scenario...

Game 7 in JLA. Pittsburgh (or anyone else) wins the cup. How many people are in the stands watching the Pens celebrate?

Picture this scenario...

Game 7 in JLA. Pittsburgh (or anyone else) wins the cup. How many people are in the stands watching the Pens celebrate?

Yeah, but the Wings fans know what winning the Cup is all about. It's been a generation since Pittsburgh fans won a Cup, and even then, those Cups were won on the road. So Pittsburgh had NEVER seen a Cup celebration. We have. I think that's a big difference. If our fans had never seen a Cup celebration, I'm sure a lot of them would have stayed in your scenario.

EDIT: I'm assuming also here that you are saying the Pittsburgh fans were somehow respectful while the Cup was awarded. I just took a look back at my DVR of the post game, and a lot of fans (more than 1/2) seemed to be booing, and then right after it was awarded they bolted for the exits while Wings actually celebrated.

Hockeytown isn't just about the Wings. Its about juniors, and pee wees and mites and the OHL and high school hockey, women's hockey, backyard rinks, etc...

This town loves hockey...not just the wings.

that's what they want you to believe but let one of those other teams try to use the "Hockeytown" logo and they'll get a cease and desist letter fairly quickly.