MAROTH4MVP

The Offseaon Moves/ Rumors thread

Gillis is an inexperienced, desperate GM. Canucks ownership made a horrible decision rushing to sign him after getting rid of Nonis, and he's had a poor offseason so far. Luongo is a top 3 goalie (albeit with only 1 playoff series victory ever) who had an offyear last season, but the D and forwards in front of him are in the bottom 3 of the league IMO and they've done nothing to upgrade yet. The Canucks could be in the bottom 2 of the Western Conference next season.

More good news for the Wings. Bertuzzi signs with the Flames ending concerns that he and his baggage would curse the Wings '09 cup run before it even started.

I believe that concern was ended the day Hossa agreed to sign.

Good god, I'm a Keenan fan, but he got taken on the Bertuzzi-Luongo trade big time and now he goes out and gets Bertuzzi again?! Sure, it's a signing not a trade, but the guy's dead weight.

Brendan Morrison headed to Anaheim, so say TSN.. Like Naslund, Morrison could be a good pick-up once out of Vancouver. He has to stay healthy though - 4 surgeries in the past 2 seasons. But he is only 32 and a few years ago he, Naslund and Bertuzzi comprised one of the best lines in hockey.

I believe that concern was ended the day Hossa agreed to sign.

I had thought like you did, but yesterday I read that Holland was still interested in trying to bring Bertuzzi in on a 1-year league minimum deal.

Brendan Morrison headed to Anaheim, so say TSN.. Like Naslund, Morrison could be a good pick-up once out of Vancouver. He has to stay healthy though - 4 surgeries in the past 2 seasons. But he is only 32 and a few years ago he, Naslund and Bertuzzi comprised one of the best lines in hockey.

Not a bad 2nd-line center if he stays healthy. I'll be interested to see what the Ducks paid for him, but this looks like it could be a major steal if the price was right.

Ha, Bettman stepped in today and told Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe and Brian Burke to cool it. Ahh, they've been fighting for a year and I've been loving it. Kevin Lowe's remarkable comments on Edmonton radio on Friday:

Lowe finally countered Friday, saying Burke should blame those who handed out contracts to Columbus' Rick Nash, Boston's Patrice Bergeron and Atlanta's Ilya Kovalchuk before the 2004-05 lockout.

"I mean, if he wants to debate what our offer sheet did to them or to the salaries, any time," Lowe said in the interview with Edmonton sports station Team 1260. "I'm sick and tired of it. I know everybody is. I know our peers are like, 'Well, that's Burkie.'

"The guy is an absolute media junkie and I guess he's achieving what he wants because he gets his name in the headlines. But the reality is, I hate the fact that my name is linked to this.

"He won a Stanley Cup? Great. I've won six Stanley Cups, you want to count rings? Who cares? It's just a little pathetic that he carries on."

Lowe also sharply criticized the Southern California market, saying that Burke's statements are largely designed to drum up local interest in the NHL.

"He's a moron, first of all," Lowe said. "Secondly, he really believes that any news for the NHL is good news. Thirdly, he loves the limelight and I don't think anyone in hockey will dispute that.

"Lastly, he's in a pathetic hockey market where they can't get on any page of the newspaper let alone the front page of the sports, so any of this stuff carries on."

Lowe said he shouldn't shoulder the blame for the recent rise in salaries.

"In the old system, teams were overpaying or paying a lot of money for the 31-year-olds who were unproductive, [and] not producing up to that level," he said. "I really feel that if you're going to pay the big money, it's the 23- to 29-year-olds that deserve the money."

In the interview, Lowe diminished Burke's impact in the Ducks' winning the Stanley Cup title in 2007, saying that Anaheim simply had the best package among several teams when he traded Chris Pronger to the Ducks, and called Bobby Ryan a "questionable" No. 2 overall pick in the 2005 draft behind Pittsburgh star Sidney Crosby.

I had thought like you did, but yesterday I read that Holland was still interested in trying to bring Bertuzzi in on a 1-year league minimum deal.

Truthfully, while this may have been true, I don't think Bertuzzi would have gone for that kind of deal. He could have signed for less money last year if he really wanted to be a Red Wing, but he followed the money instead.

Good riddance to you Mr. Bertuzzi!

Truthfully, while this may have been true, I don't think Bertuzzi would have gone for that kind of deal. He could have signed for less money last year if he really wanted to be a Red Wing, but he followed the money instead.

Good riddance to you Mr. Bertuzzi!

Agreed on both accounts. My one consern was that nobody would show interest in Bertuzzi (because why would you) and he'd end up here. Luckily there are still teams that think he's worth something.

Ha, Batman stepped in today and told Edmonton GM Kevin Lowe and Brian Burke to cool it. Shh, they've been fighting for a year and I've been loving it. Kevin Lowe's remarkable comments on Edmonton radio on Friday:

A lot of people are questioning the timing of this. For those that don't know Burke and Bettman are quite chummy. Anyway, Burke spouts off about Lowe for over a year without a single peep from Bettman. Then, Lowe finally comments and almost immediately Bettman steps in.

Probably coincidence, but it still looks bad. Anyway, I'm with you, I love this stuff, and wish Bettman would keep his nose out of it.

A lot of people are questioning the timing of this. For those that don't know Burke and Bettman are quite chummy. Anyway, Burke spouts off about Lowe for over a year without a single peep from Bettman. Then, Lowe finally comments and almost immediately Bettman steps in.

Probably coincidence, but it still looks bad. Anyway, I'm with you, I love this stuff, and wish Bettman would keep his nose out of it.

Yeah, this pisses me off..........Lowe has had to take all this crap from Burke (who I never could stand) and finally, he's had enough, and now Gary steps in. I can't stand that guy.

While teams like Montreal, Chicago, Detroit, New Jersey (that's right), and Phoenix have been aggressive in getting stars, the Wild have been passive IMO. They have settled with bargain-basement guys. I mean Brunette, Nolan, Zidlicky, and others are okay, but I was hoping to get a scorer and hoping to resign Brian Rolston, which was something that had to be done. Letting Rolston go was very disappointing. Rolston earned his money, but Wild general manager Doug Reisbrough decided that he was not worth it.

I have to start wondering about Reisborough as general manager. I just wondered if he is too conservative for his own good. He does not seem that interested in being proactive and getting a player that the Wild need to take the next step.

The Red Wings always like to go for it while the Wild are just happy to make money and be lucky by going conservative. That's a difference between winning a championship and just being mediocre.

While teams like Montreal, Chicago, Detroit, New Jersey (that's right), and Phoenix have been aggressive in getting stars, the Wild have been passive IMO. They have settled with bargain-basement guys. I mean Brunette, Nolan, Zidlicky, and others are okay, but I was hoping to get a scorer and hoping to resign Brian Rolston, which was something that had to be done. Letting Rolston go was very disappointing. Rolston earned his money, but Wild general manager Doug Reisbrough decided that he was not worth it.

I have to start wondering about Reisborough as general manager. I just wondered if he is too conservative for his own good. He does not seem that interested in being proactive and getting a player that the Wild need to take the next step.

The Red Wings always like to go for it while the Wild are just happy to make money and be lucky by going conservative. That's a difference between winning a championship and just being mediocre.

Actually, Holland has been quite conservative since the advent of the cap. His only major free-agent deal was to get Rafalski last year, and that was only because he couldn't re-sign Schneider for cheap. You really can't count the Hossa deal, because that just fell into his lap. Outside of that, he's been a bargain basement shopper just like Reisborough.

Losing Rolston hurts, but it's also not very wise to throw 4-year deals at 35 year old players. Long-term, New Jersey probably ends up regretting that deal.

Airborn: Good points. It helps that the Red Wings have a good reputation. Players are willing to come to Detroit for less money just to win a Cup. The Wild don't have that luxury whatsoever.

This happens because the Wings scouting is superior to anyone else in the NHL including New Jersey, Buffalo, Ottawa and Colorado. Look how many of their players are homegrown now - or were brought to the team in less than earthshattering deals when they were young.

Zetterberg - 7th round pick

Datsyuk - 6th round pick

Hudler - 2nd round pick

Holmstrom -10th round pick

Franzen - 3rd round pick

Lidstrom - 3rd round pick

Kronwall - 1st round pick

Fillpula - 3rd round pick

Lebda - undrafted, signed as free agent

Osgood - 3rd round pick

Howard -2nd round pick

Maltby - minor trade for Dan McGillis

Draper - claimed for a dollar, a single dollar, from Winnipeg.

Cleary and Samuelsson were minor moves at the time too.

They used prospects and draft picks to get Chelios.

Plus the Wings can trade a late first rounder for a needed boost at the deadline because the Wings do better in the fourth round than most teams ever do in the first.

It's amazing scouting.....maybe the best in professional team sports. Ken Hollad, Jim Nill and Jimmy D built that.

As far as some crumbcake from another board bitching about the Wings underpaying their players.......those players could have left. Datsyuk could make 9 or 10 million a year easily, but he wants to stay on a winner where he's a rock star. You build a winning reputation and a reputation for respecting your players, you can get more for less.

It's amazing scouting.....maybe the best in professional team sports. Ken Hollad, Jim Nill and Jimmy D built that.

Don't forget the most important guy on that list, Hakan Andersson. He's the best in the business, by far.

Airborn: Good points. It helps that the Red Wings have a good reputation. Players are willing to come to Detroit for less money just to win a Cup. The Wild don't have that luxury whatsoever.

But fortunately for Minnesota both Vancouver and Colorado have taken steps backwards this off-season and Calgary & Edmonton are treading water.

But fortunately for Minnesota both Vancouver and Colorado have taken steps backwards this off-season and Calgary & Edmonton are treading water.

That's a good thing, but the Wild are becoming the NHL's version of the Twins. For one thing, the Wild are cheap like the Twins. Second thing, both teams are more interested in making money than winning championships. I want to win championships. The Wild have accomplished nothing since 2003 when they overachieved to the Western Conference Finals. The lockout, non-playoff year in 2006, and two first-round losses does constitute for success. I am still wondering how the Wild lost to an inferior Colorado team in the playoffs. This franchise is in a position when they need to win the Cup in the next few years because if they don't, they are going through hard times.

It looks like Drake is thinking about going out on top.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2008/07/drake_on_espn_970_training_cam.html

Dallas Drake is bringing the Stanley Cup to Traverse City in September, but that doesn't mean he'll be joining the Red Wings for training camp.

"Well, we'll have to wait and see," he told Casey Ford and Bill Blohm Friday on ESPN 970-AM's the SportsPen.. "It's pretty doubtful."

The first-time NHL champion should receive the Stanley Cup on Sept. 1 and will host a "meet and greet" in Traverse City around that time. The details of the event are still being worked out, he said.