MAROTH4MVP

The Offseaon Moves/ Rumors thread

Oh, and I forgot to add that I'd take Fedorov back in a heartbeat.

51-91-93 would be a force.

Federov is not someone I would like to see on the Wings next year. Don't get me wrong, he could be rejuvenated by coming back. But, I just don't see it. Rolston, I would take in a heart beat. Exactly, the type of player the Wings would want. Didn't he go to UM to play college hockey? To me a good player that has ties to the area is a great thing.

I don't see Stuart back with the Wings next season. Holland has come out and said that he won't pay him more than Kronwall (who makes 4 million) which would require Stewie to take a fairly significant paycut judging by what he'd get on the open market.

I absolutely agree with you on Rolston and Sundin though. I would love to have either one of them.

Money isn't the only issue sometimes. Stuart really likes it here.....

Money isn't the only issue sometimes. Stuart really likes it here.....

True enough. But, a significant paycut combined with the fact that his wife isn't allowed to leave the state of California due to a custody issue might make this a tough hill to climb. We'll see. I hope they manage to keep him.

True enough. But, a significant paycut combined with the fact that his wife isn't allowed to leave the state of California due to a custody issue might make this a tough hill to climb. We'll see. I hope they manage to keep him.

Me too.

If not, he is definitely the best "rental" player the Wings have had in recent memory. He stepped right in and played awesome defense. I will be bummed if he gets away.

Federov is not someone I would like to see on the Wings next year. Don't get me wrong, he could be rejuvenated by coming back. But, I just don't see it. Rolston, I would take in a heart beat. Exactly, the type of player the Wings would want. Didn't he go to UM to play college hockey? To me a good player that has ties to the area is a great thing.

He played at LSSU but is from Flint, so you are half right.:wink:

NHL draft Friday night. Carried live in prime time on Canadian TV. Wings draft at #30 overall with the last pick in round one. With Stamkos a lock to go first to Tampa Bay, to me the most interesting early development will be to see where the WHL's Kyle Beach ends up. All the talent in the world, rating has dropped a bit due to on-ice suspensions and disciplinary problems since his early-teens. He's a real wildcard. Leafs and Canucks, both in the top 10, have their eyes on him.

I don't understand the Beach rating. It seems like teams either love him or hate him for his style of play (i.e. some think he's showing grit and heart, and others just feel he's out of control).

Ultimately his draft placement is going to be determined by how soon one of the GMs who like his style comes up to the podium.

NHL draft Friday night. Carried live in prime time on Canadian TV.

For those in the states, it will be carried on Versus.

The Penguins are trying to make a blockbuster move before tomorrow night's NHL draft at Scotiabank Place.

League sources say Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero offered all-star centre Evgeni Mal kin to the Kings for the No. 2 overall pick in the draft and a player, possibly centerer Mike Cammalleri.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Draft/2008/06/19/5923271-sun.html

If this is true, then I think the Pens are nuts. I would only deal Malkin is if I was getting a guy like Boumeester back. Otherwise, you end up doing what the Bruins did in the Thornton deal, trading a top-10 player for spare parts.

Holy crap, I came across this as well!

Defenceman Brian Campbell will be going to the unrestricted free agent market.....Campbell has informed the Sharks he won't be back.

http://blog.canoe.ca/offtheposts/2008/06/19/no_campbell_here

What happened with that relationship. I had figured he was a lock to re-sign there. He didn't have the best playoff (which Shark did), but he looked really good there. This is a big blow to them. Look for them to go hard after Redden and (gulp) Stuart.

Unfortunately, I think this put another dagger in our potential to sign Stuart. Damn, I long for the old days when the salary cap didn't dictate keeping a championship club together.

See, I can understand Holland not wanting to overpay for Stuart, or the Wings losing Stuart if he decides to choose a California team for personal reasons. But I'm not sure why the Wings would insist on him taking a market discount or on him not exceeding Kronwall's pay. To me, Stuart is the Wings' 3rd best d-man at present (ahead of Kronwall for now, Kronwall should pass him) and if we lose we're going to have to replace him with another #3 defensemen. A combo of a couple of Ericsson and Meech and Quincey should be phased in but are not equivalent to replacing Stuart. So unless Holland is confident of getting another UFA defenseman to commit to the Wings for less than their own market value, I think the Wings should pay Stuart what he's worth, if that's enough to nab him.

Vancouver is abuzz about the Sedins maybe being on the way out by tomorrow night. Their agent says he 'wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of them traded" tomorrow. New GM Gillis says he has fielded several offers for the twins but that he is "not actively" trying to trade them.

See, I can understand Holland not wanting to overpay for Stuart, or the Wings losing Stuart if he decides to choose a California team for personal reasons. But I'm not sure why the Wings would insist on him taking a market discount or on him not exceeding Kronwall's pay. To me, Stuart is the Wings' 3rd best d-man at present (ahead of Kronwall for now, Kronwall should pass him) and if we lose we're going to have to replace him with another #3 defensemen.

Holland is establishing a culture where everyone takes a little less to play on a competitive team with a great owner and team culture. While I'd love to see us bring Stuart back, I do agree with the overall philosophy.

Also, I'd rank Kronwall over Stuart on level of play on the ice, but I think you're probably factoring in injury history.

Holland is establishing a culture where everyone takes a little less to play on a competitive team with a great owner and team culture. While I'd love to see us bring Stuart back, I do agree with the overall philosophy.

Also, I'd rank Kronwall over Stuart on level of play on the ice, but I think you're probably factoring in injury history.

I think they're about even on the ice at this moment, Kronwall should be clearly better than Stuart if not next year then the year after, but yes durability is what tipped me to Stuart. I don't feel too strongly about it, as I can easily how people could rank Kronwall higher.

In principal, I agree with Holland's philosophy as well. Like in any career, pay is a major factor but not always the be-all and end-all. It all depends on how much of a discount.

A couple of interesting points about the draft. I think the Wings success with puck possession has finally caught on. There seems to be a lot more emphasis on puck skills this year, and a lot less on size. Another point - this draft is loaded with defensemen. I know the Wings are pretty strong at D, so they might be in a good position to trade down.

That said, watch for this player: Mattias Tedenby. He's only 5'9, so I could easily see him falling. From what I've been reading, he sounds like a faster (much faster) version of Hudler. He'd look good wearing the winged wheel.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2008/NHL-Draft-Profiles/Mattias-Tedenby

Either way, I see the Wings drafting a European, because now that there's no transfer agreement in place, you can hold onto their rights longer than North American prospects.

Edit: A lot of the mock drafts I've seen have us drafting a goalie. I just don't see this happening.

A couple of interesting points about the draft. I think the Wings success with puck possession has finally caught on. There seems to be a lot more emphasis on puck skills this year, and a lot less on size. Another point - this draft is loaded with defensemen. I know the Wings are pretty strong at D, so they might be in a good position to trade down.

That said, watch for this player: Mattias Tedenby. He's only 5'9, so I could easily see him falling. From what I've been reading, he sounds like a faster (much faster) version of Hudler. He'd look good wearing the winged wheel.

Either way, I see the Wings drafting a European, because now that there's no transfer agreement in place, you can hold onto their rights longer than North American prospects.

Edit: A lot of the mock drafts I've seen have us drafting a goalie. I just don't see this happening.

Yeah, I would agree. They have Jimmy Howard who is a fairly highly rated goalie prospect in the wings and a Swedish kid named Daniel Larsson who dominated the Swedish Elite League this past season (as a rookie) and won the league's best goaltender award. So, yeah, I don't see us going with a goalie.

Stuart always seemed like a rental to me. His roots are deep in Cali and it would take alot for him to stay with the Wings. Maybe, him leaving is a blessing in disguise. His absense opens up minutes for the younger d-men the wings have. Win-win situation. Stuart helps us win a cup, young guys move in. :grin:

Actually, the guy to look for (and who I think we'll draft if he's available) is Tyler Ennis out of Medicine Hat in the WHL. Absolutely blazing speed (on par with Darren Helm), terrific hands, and he and Helm were linemates two years ago. He's a faster, more polished, stronger version of Jan Mursak. Although, with the Wings track record it's likely going to be another defenseman. The last time the Wings picked a forward in the 1st round was Curtis Bowen in 1992. Since then, every 1st rounder we've had was a defenseman (Anders Eriksson/1993, Yan Golubovsky/1994, Maxim Kuznetsov/1995, Jesse Wallin/1996, Jiri Fischer/1998, Niklas Kronwall/2000, Jakub Kindl/2005, Brendan Smith/2007).

"He's a real dynamic player," said Curtis Hunt, head coach of the Regina Pats. "He has great quickness and is always a threat on the ice. (He's) smaller in stature but tremendous speed and skill. I think with his speed and the ability to score and create offence, as long as they maintain the standard of enforcement, it's a skating game (which will help him)."

"If he was six foot tall he'd be a top 10-top 20 pick," said Grant McCagg, publisher of the McKeen's Hockey Draft Guide. "He's a very good hockey player, he's just undersized."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCViXcOEd5E (video)

http://lowetide.blogspot.com/2007/12/2008-nhl-draft-tyler-ennis.html

Stuart always seemed like a rental to me. His roots are deep in Cali and it would take alot for him to stay with the Wings. Maybe, him leaving is a blessing in disguise. His absense opens up minutes for the younger d-men the wings have. Win-win situation. Stuart helps us win a cup, young guys move in. :grin:

Stuart is anchored to California because his wife has to live there. She has children from a previous marriage and the custody agreement stipulates that if she moves to another state she loses custody. She can't move, so if he signs outside of California he'd have to leave his family for duration of the season. A real no-win situation for him.

Actually, the guy to look for (and who I think we'll draft if he's available) is Tyler Ennis out of Medicine Hat in the WHL. Absolutely blazing speed (on par with Darren Helm), terrific hands, and he and Helm were linemates two years ago. He's a faster, more polished, stronger version of Jan Mursak. Although, with the Wings track record it's likely going to be another defenseman.

Ennis does look like he'd be a good fit. The Wings could potentially trade back and still get him too. I think his size is going to prevent him from going in the 1st round.

I don't see us drafting a defenseman, unless someone really falls (not likely). Again, because this draft is so loaded with D-men, I could easily see us trading back ala 2006.

Haha, the Leafs trade a 3rd rounder for 34-year old goonie 4th-liner Jamal Mayers from the Blues. Same old Leafs.

Flyers reportedly come to terms with Jeff Carter for $5mm per for 3 years. Seems steep for sure, but Carter does have an upside so may grow into that value. Sportsnet report here.

Haha, the Leafs trade a 3rd rounder for 34-year old goonie 4th-liner Jamal Mayers from the Blues. Same old Leafs.

I saw this; this is quite the head scratcher.

Maybe the Malkin rumors weren't so crazy afterall!

A story is emerging that a Russian team is preparing to offer Malkin $12.5 million, tax-free, per season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241220&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_main

Even if this isn't true, I'm expecting a backlash to occur against Russian players in the draft. No GM is going to want to get in a bidding war, and potentially lose the rights to his 1st round pick.

I saw this; this is quite the head scratcher.

And now it's all over Toronto media that Sundin is on his way to the Habs. Official word from the Leafs and Sundin's agent, via the Toronto Star for example, is only that there's been "permission to speak" granted. But some radio and TV outlets are saying that it's much further along and practically signed. Hooboy!