Shinma

The Penguins host the Red Wings in Stanley Cup Finals game 6! June 4th, NBC/CBC @8pm!

Detroit News article today entitled: "Red Wings Identify Franzen's Head Injury. Also points out that Homer will likely have surgery for his sports hernia injury but should be fine by training camp.

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Red Wings identify Franzen's head injury

Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- It was a subdural hematoma that forced Johan Franzen out of the Red Wings lineup for six games during the playoffs.

Franzen apparently was hurt during the Avalanche series, had persistent headaches, and re-aggravated the injury in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals against the Stars.

He was forced out of the lineup before Game 2 against the Stars and didn't play again until Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Finals against the Penguins.

The Wings had been calling the injury "concussion-like symptoms."

Subdural hematoma can be caused by minor accidents to the head, major trauma or the spontaneous bursting of a blood vessel in the brain.

"It's not going to affect him long term," general manager Ken Holland said. "Basically, in effect, it's a bruise. It's like when you get hit on a part of your body."

Franzen said he was concerned when first told of the injury, but felt better after being reassured by doctors it wouldn't reoccur.

"I wasn't allowed to do anything and I listened to the doctors when they said that," Franzen said. "I didn't want to jeopardize anything. The doctors said hit happens to football players and boxers quite often. It came from a hit but we don't know exactly when."