Shinma

The Penguins host the Red Wings in Stanley Cup Finals game 6! June 4th, NBC/CBC @8pm!

please correct me if I read that wrong, Sagnam

You are 100% correct on all points.

Okay, this entire thread was a blast to read! Go Wings!

One thing, a soft goal by Malkin someone said? a Rocket from around 30 feet is not soft especially from the 2nd leading scorer in the league and probably the Hart Trophy winner without Carolina collapsing to allow Washington in...

The last shot, although not handled cleanly was a wicked backhand by crosby, everyone should know that the backhand is by far the hardest shot to read by a goalie because they can't judge where its coming off of the stick. Some one posted he failed to make the save, which was obviously not the case.

The biggest problem with that last shot was the fact that everyone stood up on our blue line and allowed Crosby to sneak through... A guy like that should be watched until the buzzer goes off. It looked like hudler's responsibility and as far as i'm concerned that was a much bigger deal than the ridiculous hooking call with 2 minutes left...

As for the new NHL this is all that it is....

They claim its exciting and teams are never out of a game, but the reason for that is if your team has the lead you are automatically penalized with under 10 minutes to go and it becomes nearly impossible for your team to committ a penalty.

When the wings went up 3-1 they dominated the pens for about 5 minutes, people were getting held up, hooked the whole time, but soon as hudler's stick touched Malkin its a penalty. I can't stand that, and I also can't stand the fact that NBC would show replays of penalties that weren't called on redwings players all the time... but yet when Datsuyk of all players gets called for an interference penalty in the 2nd period they don't show the replay once... could anyone let me know what happened on that one?

Who shot who in the what now????

A. Ozzie bobbled the chance and it squirted to the side of the net. Time expired as Hossa was striking the puck. It was shown on CBC immediately after the fact, and the clock clearly read 0.0 before the puck even reached the mouth of the net - regardless of what any reporter claimed. That isn't being a Monday morning quarterback - that is just stating facts.

B. I agree with Ozzie not being a HOF goalie. Please check that thread - I think you will see I argued against his candidacy as strongly as anyone.

C. I never claimed Osgood was or is better than Fleury. I claimed Osgood had a better game 6 than Fluery - that is all. I don't think this is a debatable point, really. Fluery allowed 2 unbelievably soft goals. They were absolute gifts. If Fluery were a Wings goalie I suspect people on this board would be advocating nothing short of firing him immediately, based on last night's performance.

D. Osgood is a good goalie on a great team, IMO. He makes solid plays and is rarely spectacular. The Wings could do (and have done) far worse than he. The Wings won this cup, in part, because Osgood provided solid goaltending throughout the play-offs. Let us not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

OK, your comments are duly noted and I agree with almost all of it. At the risk of severe over-kill on this discussion, my comments regarding "Monday morning quarterbacking" reflected that your judgments are based on information I did not have when I commented, in the seconds, after time elapsed, that Ozzie "Fumbled" the puck in the closing 2 seconds. In my view, from what I saw, and again, I didn't have the benefit of still photos of the play showing time had expired, only my shock that in ONE SECONDs time, Ozzie was in deep DOODOOO, with what I believed was flawed play, almost (and I say this at the risk of being called someone who's cutting hairs) costing a goal. One only had to have a flashback of game 4 in mind to draw that conclusion.

I don't think there are many fans out there who at the instant this action was playing out in real time, had full confidence of the outcome of the game.

Hindsight is always 20-20.

I respectfully ask that you read my earlier comments as to how and why this unfortunate digression from a good healthy discussion of the RED WINGS success took place.

They claim its exciting and teams are never out of a game, but the reason for that is if your team has the lead you are automatically penalized with under 10 minutes to go and it becomes nearly impossible for your team to committ a penalty.

When the wings went up 3-1 they dominated the pens for about 5 minutes, people were getting held up, hooked the whole time, but soon as hudler's stick touched Malkin its a penalty. I can't stand that, and I also can't stand the fact that NBC would show replays of penalties that weren't called on redwings players all the time... but yet when Datsuyk of all players gets called for an interference penalty in the 2nd period they don't show the replay once... could anyone let me know what happened on that one?

I hated the reffing last night too and the missed trip on Datsyuk as he was skating through the neutral zone on his way to a shot at the empty net was outrageous BUT at least the officals called the big call of the night correctly, the Fleury bum-shot for a goal. It was the correct call, clearly, but half the time that play would have been whistled down before Fleury had a chance to bump it.

2008-0604-rb-redwingsparty195.jpg

A very good choice on Champaigne I must say.

My favorite!!!!!!!! I just may open a bottle I've had around here for awhile now, waiting for just the right moment to enjoy.

Thanks for the idea Lord Stanley!:wink:

Listen to how

called the final 33 seconds on CBC last night in that 8-minute clip. He basically awarded the Wings the Cup with 6 seconds left and didn't even really call the final play. Someone else here after Game 4 mentioned how he did the same at the end of that game - the ending was dramatic, not anti-climactic.

In general my feelings are this... It was great to see everyone win it again Draper, Nick, Malts ect. but my feelings are that this isn't their last turn. With the team in place right now we look so strong for the future, and i might be wrong but i think we actually have our first round pick this year... which is nice considering we won the cup too! sometimes we trade our 1st round pick and get bounced early.

Datsuyk now has a pair of cups and looks ever so dangerous all the time. His ability to take the puck from people stuns me everytime. Kronwall and Stuart "the scary guys" were generally so impressive and anytime a team can go with 4 defenseman like that they are very hard to beat.

Someone made a reference that Darren Helm is the new draper, I certainly hope that he can be that! Because if he gets 3 more cups i'll be very excited! haha

Great to see Nick raise the cup, although for a youngster like me, only 25, without Yzerman was kind of strange. But the smile from Nick made up for it, he plays so calm all the time it was wonderful to see how happy he really was! 4 cups, 10 All Star Games, 1 Gold Medal and should get his 6th Norris this year, and whats crazy about that is that he missed a chance at a Norris during the strike year and I'm pretty sure he deserved one before he got his first!

Video of celebrations from
last night. The fans watching JoeVision start counting down the final 10 seconds around the 0:25 mark of this clip.

Wow!!! wish I could of been there.. even without the Wings, it would of been nice to watch on the jumbo

a few co-workers coming up to me today to congrats for the Wing's win..

My TV gets a couple of Newfoundland stations way up on the dial and I've been reading their newspapers too. The "Danny" Cleary story is huge. Packed arena in Riverhead, Harbour Grace watching it, premier of province in attendance and was going to fly to a game 7 if had been necessary, "Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie" chants, banners hanging from house porches, Wings jerseys all over the place, Go Wings Go chants. Pretty wild. Here's a CBC video clip here. Here are audio interviews with local residents, gotta love the accents and the countdown. CBC article here.

Harbour Grace was painted red — literally — with flags, signs and decals bearing the Red Wings logo throughout the NHL playoffs.

In a statement Thursday, Williams said Cleary embodies the 'true fighting spirit' of the province and kept fans riveted with his on-ice performance.

Cleary has scored 20 goals in each of the past two seasons, fulfilling the promise he showed in junior, etching his name on the Stanley Cup, and personifying the province in which he was born.

"As Newfoundlanders, we have to fight for every inch of everything that we get," Harbour Grace mayor Don Coombs said. "Danny Cleary has taken that character and that personality of our province and made it work for him."

at least the officals called the big call of the night correctly, the Fleury bum-shot for a goal. It was the correct call, clearly, but half the time that play would have been whistled down before Fleury had a chance to bump it.

My thoughts exactly. The ref actually did a good job of keeping track of the puck and not blowing the play dead.

My thoughts exactly. The ref actually did a good job of keeping track of the puck and not blowing the play dead.

I agree with you guys on this one, and there is no doubt in my mind that Dan O'Halloran would have blown that call.

Some Detroit News photos from the middle-of-the-night party at Metro Airport upon arrival from Pittsburgh:

2008-0604-rb-redwingsparty219.jpg

2008-0604-rb-redwingsparty043.jpg

2008-0604-rb-redwingsparty158.jpg

2008-0604-rb-redwingsparty166.jpg

2008-0604-rb-redwingsparty173.jpg

And from the Free Press:

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20080605&Kategori=SPORTS05&Lopenr=806050804&Ref=PH&Item=2&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20080605&Kategori=SPORTS05&Lopenr=806050804&Ref=PH&Item=3&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100

bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20080605&Kategori=SPORTS05&Lopenr=806050804&Ref=PH&Item=18&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100

I agree with you guys on this one, and there is no doubt in my mind that Dan O'Halloran would have blown that call.

No doubt about it! How is he an NHL ref again?