Shinma

The Penguins host the Red Wings in Stanley Cup Finals game 6! June 4th, NBC/CBC @8pm!

That final 33.1 seconds is mesmerizing to watch on replay. Wings making it look easy for first part of it, Datsyuk being hauled call down but no penalty call, Bob Cole prematurely calling the victory for Detroit with 4 seconds still to play, the surprisingly strong backhand and the stop by Osgood, but no catch by Osgood, the puck sliding across the goalline but not in after time had JUST expired. Whew!

That final 33.1 seconds is mesmerizing to watch on replay. Wings making it look easy for first part of it, Datsyuk being hauled call down but no penalty call, Bob Cole prematurely calling the victory for Detroit with 4 seconds still to play, the surprisingly strong backhand and the stop by Osgood, but no catch by Osgood, the puck sliding across the goalline but not in after time had JUST expired. Whew!

I definitely screamed my head off when there was no call when Datsyuk was hauled down. I can't believe what a terrible officiated game that was. Worst I have ever seen in my 24 years of watching hockey. The NHL is in some serious trouble with corruption, but thank god the Red Wings are just that good to overcome it all. What a wonderful night!

I don't post much in here, but I've been fortunate to see the Wings hoist the Cup four times, and it amazes me how consistently good they've been for close to 20 years now.

A wonderful night for all Wings fans around the world, and some naysayers are surely eating crow for saying the Wings would never be an elite team with the restrictions of the salary cap. It just goes to show what quality scouting and good drafting year-in and year-out can do for a franchise. Speaking of drafts, I suppose I should get ready for today's events.

BTW, great job by Shinma on the game threads this year.

I definitely screamed my head off when there was no call when Datsyuk was hauled down. I can't believe what a terrible officiated game that was. Worst I have ever seen in my 24 years of watching hockey. The NHL is in some serious trouble with corruption, but thank god the Red Wings are just that good to overcome it all. What a wonderful night!

I don't know about the corruption bit, but I thought it was a horribly called game frankly. I don't want to call any of the penalties against Detroit phantom calls, but, it seemed to me several infractions called against Detroit were nothing more than plays that are commonly made several times a game and not called.

There should have been a penalty when Datsyuk was taken down, IMO - especiallly after Hudler was called for a light hook just a minute prior that led to a PPG and allowed Pittsburgh back in the game.

I remember growing up and listening to Bruce Martyn and Paul Woods on the radio, hearing the Red Wings lose in the playoffs every year. Remembering Randy Ladoceur, Danny Gare, and a skinny kid who's name I couldn't spell named Yzerman and everyone being upset he wasn't Lafontaine

I remember hack and slash and John Ogrodnick (hell, I remember Greg freaking Jolley). I remember Adam Oates for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegnie, Peter Klima, I remember Jimmy Carson not backchecking and letting the Blackhawks score, I remember Hansen and Stefan against the Oilers, winning game one and then losing the next four - one in overtime.

I remember being so excited when they FINALLY beat the Blackhawks to get to the finals only to see Paul Coffey lie on the ice while the Devils scored, and then watching Scott Stevens beat the crap out of us and thinking we'd never win. I remember the 60+ win season and the losing to a team that had been in Denver for ONE season that raised the Cup and thought they actually deserved it.

1997 was the best year ever, the best championship I'd ever seen. Darren McCarty is now and will always be my favorite Red Wings for beating up Lemieux, scoring the winning goal against Roy in OT in the greatest regular season game in history and then juking the Flyers out of their skates and getting the winning goal to clinch the cup. I remember going out in Royal Oak after the game and seeing people wave brooms and seeing the streets packed with people and everyone slapping high fives.

I watch the Lions, I watch the Pistons, I watch the Tigers. But I never have any doubt that the Red Wings will be in the mix every year. Probably the best organization this town has ever seen.

So I raise a glass to the Red Wings and to all the Wings fan who sat there when we couldn't even make the playoffs in a five team division. Who saw ozzie cry after game 7 against San Jose, who saw them lose to the Oilers, who saw us go up 3-1 and then lose to the Blues, who saw us lose to the hawks every year.

Drink up my friends, this one's for all of us. Go Wings.

You nailed it. Yes, 1997 will always be the best one. It was the "first".

Man, I still can't believe that happened last night. When is the parade going to be? I was already planning on coming home this weekend, hopefully it's sometime between Friday and Sunday. :happy:

So who won?

I was kind of sleepy so I went to bed. Anyone know why Yzerman didn't play last night? Glad to see Bowman get another ring.

Man, I still can't believe that happened last night. When is the parade going to be? I was already planning on coming home this weekend, hopefully it's sometime between Friday and Sunday. :happy:

Friday @ 11am.

Hillary Clinton has just announced that the Penguins are not out of this yet.....

Fan-effing-tastic!!

I saw an interview with Draper where they asked him and someone else who had the best "chuck norris" beard. He started going on about "Hey Chuck! We did it baby. We got it CHuck. For you baby!". It was a drunken rant.

I'll just say what has probably been said about 1,000 times already here.

The Wings were the better team and simply deserved this title. Good for them. It was another pretty exciting cliffhanger there at the end.

Thanks again to everyone contributing to this forum.

Congrats again to the 2008 World Champion "MotorCity" Detroit Red Wings.

So many unsung heroes on this team as well -- role players --- playing thru adversity.

Kudos to Mike Babcock (man of few words) and his coaching staff. Not enough can be said for them as well.

Enjoy DRW. Enjoy fans.

The Victory Parade: It will be crazy and extremely crowded. Past parades drew upwards to a million spectators. Crowds 6-8 deep standing along the parade route. Get there early and find a shady spot along Woodward Ave close to the curb. Park well away from the parade route and walk. Bring lots of WATER. You're going to need it. And make sure you bring a good camera. In past years the parade ended at Hart Plaza, but unless you decide to get there early and get a spot on the Plaza, you'll never get close to the festivities when the parade ends.

And once again, Thanks to Shinma for your great efforts with the GDTs.

THIS IS THE BEST INTERVIEW EVER! McCarty interviews Osgood.

Yes, it was. But McCarty better have been drinking apple juice last night.

Yes, it was. But McCarty better have been drinking apple juice last night.

Gatorade. I was really proud of him.

yeah that was when others were around. What did he drink when he got home by himself?

Ozzie. fumbles the puck with 2 seconds to go.

Ozzie. deflects the puck towards the corner with 2 seconds to go.

See, it's easy to slant the story the other way too.

that is great to hear. Glad to see Jiri Fischer there too. I wondered if he'd be out there. Did he have his jersey on?

And a BIG kudos to Mike Babcock. He got it done and will be around for many years to come.

Congrats coach!!

Funny thing is just last year he was getting the Flip Saunders treatment because his star players weren't showing up in the playoffs. Funny how things can go a different direction depending on how the players perform. Well, that and one organization that cherishes stability vs. one that loves fan appeasing changes.

yeah that was when others were around. What did he drink when he got home by himself?

Neither of us are in any position to say. I'm willing to bet that if he wasn't drinking with his teammates after winning the most coveted trophy in sports, he wasn't drinking at all. Who knows though?

Ozzie. deflects the puck towards the corner with 2 seconds to go.

See, it's easy to slant the story the other way too.

Not wanting to belabor this, as its now irrelevant, but I have to respond since you brought it up again.

Slant it all you want Sagnam, but that's not what happened, as you say "Ozzie deflects the puck towards the corner with 2 seconds to go. Just didn't happen that way.

The reason I made the comment in the first place was just to point out how Freaking close the last second or two actually were. Ozzie didn't stop the backhand, instead dropped the puck and it rolled dangerously close to the corner of the net, allowing another desperate "whack" at it, By Hossa I think it was, probably the Pens most dangerous player; Then, after the that last tap, the puck traveling across the goal mouth BEHIND Ozzie with enough time left, that had it bounced ever so closely the other way, could easily have been in the net. That's the reality of it.

But go ahead and debate it if you want. That's what happened.