Shinma

The Penguins host the Red Wings in Stanley Cup Finals game 6! June 4th, NBC/CBC @8pm!

I remember growing up and listening to Bruce Martyn and Paul Woods on the radio, hearing the Red Wings lose in the playoffs every year. Remembering Randy Ladoceur, Danny Gare, and a skinny kid who's name I couldn't spell named Yzerman and everyone being upset he wasn't Lafontaine

I remember hack and slash and John Ogrodnick (hell, I remember Greg freaking Jolley). I remember Adam Oates for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegnie, Peter Klima, I remember Jimmy Carson not backchecking and letting the Blackhawks score, I remember Hansen and Stefan against the Oilers, winning game one and then losing the next four - one in overtime.

I remember being so excited when they FINALLY beat the Blackhawks to get to the finals only to see Paul Coffey lie on the ice while the Devils scored, and then watching Scott Stevens beat the crap out of us and thinking we'd never win. I remember the 60+ win season and the losing to a team that had been in Denver for ONE season that raised the Cup and thought they actually deserved it.

1997 was the best year ever, the best championship I'd ever seen. Darren McCarty is now and will always be my favorite Red Wings for beating up Lemieux, scoring the winning goal against Roy in OT in the greatest regular season game in history and then juking the Flyers out of their skates and getting the winning goal to clinch the cup. I remember going out in Royal Oak after the game and seeing people wave brooms and seeing the streets packed with people and everyone slapping high fives.

I watch the Lions, I watch the Pistons, I watch the Tigers. But I never have any doubt that the Red Wings will be in the mix every year. Probably the best organization this town has ever seen.

So I raise a glass to the Red Wings and to all the Wings fan who sat there when we couldn't even make the playoffs in a five team division. Who saw ozzie cry after game 7 against San Jose, who saw them lose to the Oilers, who saw us go up 3-1 and then lose to the Blues, who saw us lose to the hawks every year.

Drink up my friends, this one's for all of us. Go Wings.

Excellent post, Buddha.

Excellent post, Buddha.

Thanks. I was too nervous to watch game 6, I didn't want them to lose. But I'll be watching the NHL network all night....

Tomorrow I'll be wearing my Wings jersey underneath my suit!

BUMP ANOTHER CUP!

Wish I was in Detroit to celebrate it with my fellow Wings fans!

What a run from start to finish!

GO WINGS

Thanks. I was too nervous to watch game 6, I didn't want them to lose. But I'll be watching the NHL network all night....

Tomorrow I'll be wearing my Wings jersey underneath my suit!

I have every game of the finals on DVR. Well, except for the 3rd OT in game 5, and who wants to see that, right?

I will be making DVD's of them once I am able to edit the commercials out of them, etc etc.

I have every game of the finals on DVR. Well, except for the 3rd OT in game 5, and who wants to see that, right?

I will be making DVD's of them once I am able to edit the commercials out of them, etc etc.

Cool. make a set for me.

(nice avatar, BTW)

You are the man, Shinma. I have to have a copy of tonights game.

I remember growing up and listening to Bruce Martyn and Paul Woods on the radio, hearing the Red Wings lose in the playoffs every year. Remembering Randy Ladoceur, Danny Gare, and a skinny kid who's name I couldn't spell named Yzerman and everyone being upset he wasn't Lafontaine

I remember hack and slash and John Ogrodnick (hell, I remember Greg freaking Jolley). I remember Adam Oates for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegnie, Peter Klima, I remember Jimmy Carson not backchecking and letting the Blackhawks score, I remember Hansen and Stefan against the Oilers, winning game one and then losing the next four - one in overtime.

I remember being so excited when they FINALLY beat the Blackhawks to get to the finals only to see Paul Coffey lie on the ice while the Devils scored, and then watching Scott Stevens beat the crap out of us and thinking we'd never win. I remember the 60+ win season and the losing to a team that had been in Denver for ONE season that raised the Cup and thought they actually deserved it.

1997 was the best year ever, the best championship I'd ever seen. Darren McCarty is now and will always be my favorite Red Wings for beating up Lemieux, scoring the winning goal against Roy in OT in the greatest regular season game in history and then juking the Flyers out of their skates and getting the winning goal to clinch the cup. I remember going out in Royal Oak after the game and seeing people wave brooms and seeing the streets packed with people and everyone slapping high fives.

I watch the Lions, I watch the Pistons, I watch the Tigers. But I never have any doubt that the Red Wings will be in the mix every year. Probably the best organization this town has ever seen.

So I raise a glass to the Red Wings and to all the Wings fan who sat there when we couldn't even make the playoffs in a five team division. Who saw ozzie cry after game 7 against San Jose, who saw them lose to the Oilers, who saw us go up 3-1 and then lose to the Blues, who saw us lose to the hawks every year.

Here, here

Here's to having a consistent winner people, screw all the other teams in this town

I'm cracking a Labatt Blue for you, buddy. This is a great night.. I remember all of the things you mentioned in your post, and that's what makes nights like this great. Enjoy it, everyone!

43de712260421ebd152f894387ca0f2b-ge.jpg

It would be easy to overlook Hasek's contribution to the team this year. Osgood was the star of the playoffs but Hasek played a lot during the season and he did a great job.

Edit: Also, what is Donald Trump doing up in the top left of this photo?

It was nice to see Hasek really enjoying himself in the locker room.

I really feel good for Ozzie, Drake, and McCarty. Not that they deserved it more than the others, but just because of their separate journeys to this moment.

A pocket of fans of Wings fans celebrate while watching on the big screens with thousands of Pens fans outside Mellon Arena:

20080605jh_pens_02_500.jpg