NotoriousCPC

A Bright Pistons Future?

Well it looks like the Pistons season is almost over. However, I look at it this way - we were a team that played with a playoff intensity throughout the regular season. This can be attributed to our excellent coach, Carlisle.

Unfortunately, now the other teams are stepping up their games as well and we are simply being outplayed. We have been playing above our heads all year and that can be attributed to Carlisle. What we need is a dominating scorer who can lift us up when we're thrown out of our game. Our team gets thrown out of sync and can never recover. We need a stabilizing influence that you can only get with a legitimate scoring threat.

Also, our deep bench which has been an asset all year is nullified in the playoffs because teams shorten their rosters so the best players are on the floor more often.

What can we do for the future?

First of all Hamilton and Billups will get better. They had a great season but I don't think were prepared to carry a team on their shoulders. I'm not saying they should have to carry such a burden but with time they will improve their game and be the leaders on this team we want them to be.

Also, we have cap flexibility and a lot of quality draft picks coming up. My question is this: Is there a way to package some of our picks to get the star playmaker that we need to become a championship team? Should we just draft a young stud or try and get someone who is a proven leader? One thing is for sure, things will only get better in Detroit even if this season ends in disappointment.

Originally posted by NotoriousCPC

...our deep bench which has been an asset all year is nullified in the playoffs because teams shorten their rosters so the best players are on the floor more often.

I said the same thing after the Game 3 loss. They need to give Tayshaun more minutes than Jon Berry, who's shot seems to have taken the summer off already.

What can we do for the future?

If Memphis gets the #2 or #3 pick overall, I would keep it & take Darko Milicic. If the pick is out of the top 3, and if the Lakers beat the T-Wolves, you might be able to package your 1st rounders & send them to Minn for Kevin Garnett. Also, re-sign Rip Hamilton.

Originally posted by djhutch

If the pick is out of the top 3, and if the Lakers beat the T-Wolves, you might be able to package your 1st rounders & send them to Minn for Kevin Garnett. Also, re-sign Rip Hamilton.

I don't think we will be able to sign both Rip and another big free agent (Kevin Garnett). Even a sign and trade wouldn't save us enough money to sign both from what I have heard. Hopefully though there will be a way to make it happen. I like Rip.

I kind of think Rip is gone after this year. Don't know why. But if we are going to be able to get the major superstar we need someone has to go. Rip makes logical sense in that argument. Billups has really become the team leader after Wallace and not Hamilton.

Don't take this the wrong way. I like Hamilton a lot but to improve you have to risk and this seems to be the obvious risk to take this offseason.

If we get the Memphis pick in the 6-9 range do you think we could package that pick and our other first round selection and perhaps another first rounder in the future in order to move up to the #2 or #3 spot in order to ensure getting Darko or Melo?

Originally posted by NotoriousCPC

If we get the Memphis pick in the 6-9 range do you think we could package that pick and our other first round selection and perhaps another first rounder in the future in order to move up to the #2 or #3 spot in order to ensure getting Darko or Melo?

Gut instinct tells me no. The N-B-A Draft is nothing like the N-F-L. There are fewer sleepers in the N-B-A, & the chances of someone outside the top 5 making a huge difference on your team right away is a lot less in the N-B-A than it is in the N-F-L. Plus it seems to me that after those top 3, (Lebron, Carmelo, Darko) there's a huge drop off in talent. I'm no expert but I can't see a team giving up a chance at 1 of these 3 for 2 mediocre talents.

Originally posted by djhutch

Gut instinct tells me no. The N-B-A Draft is nothing like the N-F-L. There are fewer sleepers in the N-B-A, & the chances of someone outside the top 5 making a huge difference on your team right away is a lot less in the N-B-A than it is in the N-F-L. Plus it seems to me that after those top 3, (Lebron, Carmelo, Darko) there's a huge drop off in talent. I'm no expert but I can't see a team giving up a chance at 1 of these 3 for 2 mediocre talents.

Even one of those three making an immediate difference on a team is highly unlikely. Out of those three, Carmelo is probably the most capable of making an immediate impact, but even that is debatable depending on what team they go to.

I would love Carmelo if we were a solid NBA finals contender, but we are proving we still are not there. It might be time to make a major move for a HUGE player and that draft pick, along with others, might give us that shot.