Deleterious

2008 Offseason Speculation/Rumors/Ideas

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/06/blaha_on_wdfn.html

Blaha talking about the possibility the Pistons make no moves, that if they do Dyess and Rip most likely to stay, and how they don't want someone with an attitude like Anthony around the team. Interview is at the link above.

Interesting. I was reading between the lines when, in an earlier interview, Dumars offered up McDyess and Rip as 2 guys who work so hard. I suppose anybody could get traded or nobody at all. . .I just hope it's they guy most responsible for the problem Dumars said the team has.

One of the insider fellows on ESPN just said, Memphis was talking about shipping #5 to NY for David Lee. Is David Lee that much more appealing then Maxiell?

One of the insider fellows on ESPN just said, Memphis was talking about shipping #5 to NY for David Lee. Is David Lee that much more appealing then Maxiell?

I think that Maxiell has become a better defender. Lee is still a far better rebounder and on offense Lee is better at scoring around the basket.

Maxiell has a better mid-range jumper by far.

Lee tends to play a lot of matador defense in order to avoid getting into foul trouble.

There is no way in hell David Lee is worth #5. That rumor is BS, unles Memphis and NY would swap picks with Memphis gettin #6 and David Lee. NY would prob get a lesser player out of it as well

Hollinger has an article on the Pacer Raptor trade. He says that it is now possible depending on whom the Pacers draft at #11 and #17 that they made trade Jeff Foster if he exercises the player option in his contract this year.

Jeff Foster can opt out. He will make about $6.2 million this year if he doesn't opt out. This should be about the amount of the MLE

Foster will be 32 next January. He has averaged over 12.5 rebounds per 36 minutes over the last 4 years, which is higher than any current Pistons player. When I have seen him play over the years he has always seemed to play hard and not be afraid to go to the floor for a loose ball. He won't score much but as a backup big guy for the MLE he could be a good deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Onealtrade-080625

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/f/fosteje01.html

Wow. Indiana's really stupid. They just traded their best player for a mid-round pick, a guy who has more letters in his last name than PPG, and a guy who's a hard foul away from an early retirement. If I didn't hate the Pacers I might feel sorry for them.

How do you knock TJ Ford for his injury history but not O'Neal?
Because Ford's injuries were a lot more serious. They were neck injuries. I'm no expert but that's the last part of the body I'd want to injure multiple times. I'm pretty sure he's always had neck/back problems

Is this going to be the second year in a row that a ton of big draft day trades go down, teams buy picks, and we have no part in any of it even though we know we need to make moves?

I hope not.

What a strange trade between the Bucks and Nets.

The Nets better hope they sign LeBron or this will look kind of ridiculous.

What a strange trade between the Bucks and Nets.

The Nets better hope they sign LeBron or this will look kind of ridiculous.

So wrong, they don't need James to make this pay off. 2010 is a huge FA year, so many big names. They just became players. Great move.

Is this going to be the second year in a row that a ton of big draft day trades go down, teams buy picks, and we have no part in any of it even though we know we need to make moves?

I hope not.

I am starting to think we vastly over rate our own players.

I am starting to think we vastly over rate our own players.

Maybe, but look at what teams have given up for big names such as Jermaine Oneal, Richard Jefferson, Jason Richardson, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Pau Gasol, and Zach Randolph over the past two years. What we have to offer is just as good as any of the bags of balls they got in exchange for those guys.

So where were we? Not that I'm saying I'd want every one of those guys, but some of them could have really been good moves for us and teams gave up almost nothing to get them.

...and then there's also the purchased draft picks last year and this year.

Maybe, but look at what teams have given up for big names such as Jermaine Oneal, Richard Jefferson, Jason Richardson, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Pau Gasol, and Zach Randolph over the past two years. What we have to offer is just as good as any of the bags of balls they got in exchange for those guys.

So where were we? Not that I'm saying I'd want every one of those guys, but some of them could have really been good moves for us and teams gave up almost nothing to get them.

Joe wasn't looking to make moves when a lot of them were dealt. The few who have been just recently, didn't really interest me anyway so it doesn't bug me much.

I see your point thought. Honestly, I think it is Billups being shipped out come the 1st when his BYC is gone. If so, they would want to keep that quiet in case the deal fell apart and you have to bring him back. No sense in making him angry about things. I expect the rumors to really start flying come the 1st.

McHale traded Garnett to the Celtics. West traded Gasol to the Lakers. It's just too bad Isiah ran such a crappy club that he couldn't trade us anybody decent.

Often times in trades it is not about talent but about contract status. One thing Joe has not done in his tenure is sign awful players to huge contracts. This is the first offseason that he has had a nice big expiring contract to play with and it will be part of any major makeover of the team.

McHale traded Garnett to the Celtics. West traded Gasol to the Lakers. It's just too bad Isiah ran such a crappy club that he couldn't trade us anybody decent.

That is because Stern orchestrated the Garnett and Gasol trades so he could have his Celtics - Lakers series.