Deleterious

2008 Offseason Speculation/Rumors/Ideas

1st, I don't know what the luxury cap will be, but I believe you are right that we are close. However, this comment:

doesn't make sense to me as the only way we would get a high salaried player is by trading equal salaries thus not increasing our commitment for this season. Now we may need to sign another roster filler, but that would be at league minimum anyhow.

I sure hope Randolph doesn't make his way onto our roster as he would be a much bigger headache than Sheed.

T-Mac makes $21 million. We would have to trade at least 2 starters or Wallace and Dyess to get him without going over the cap. This will never happen.

Randoph will make about $1 million more than Sheed in 2008-09. So theoretically we could trade Sheed for Randolph but there are a number of problems with Randolph's game in addition to the fact that his current contract goes from $14.6 million in 2008-09 to $17.3 million in 2010-11. No way that Joe D. will commit $50 million over 3 years for anyone yet alone Randolph. Billups contract for example which is about what Sheed's was when we signed him during the summer of 2004 and are our largest contracts every only goes to $14 million (team option) in 2011-12.

T-Mac makes $21 million. We would have to trade at least 2 starters or Wallace and Dyess to get him without going over the cap. This will never happen.

Randoph will make about $1 million more than Sheed in 2008-09. So theoretically we could trade Sheed for Randolph but there are a number of problems with Randolph's game in addition to the fact that his current contract goes from $14.6 million in 2008-09 to $17.3 million in 2010-11. No way that Joe D. will commit $50 million over 3 years for anyone yet alone Randolph. Billups contract for example which is about what Sheed's was when we signed him during the summer of 2004 and are our largest contracts every only goes to $14 million (team option) in 2011-12.

You could trade Sheed and Amir for TMac. Salaries need to be within 125% of each other. Of course you would have to wait till July to do it, since Amir is a BYC player.

Not a trade I would suggest or think Houston would make, but just saying, you don't have to trade two starters to make salaries work.

I realize Camby was defensive player of the year two years ago, but I can't say I understand all the clamor for him given that he is 34 years old and has never played a full season in his career.

I mean, maybe as a throw-in on a deal for Carmelo...but, even then, trading two or more of our starters/key players for two starters from a thoroughly ho-hum Nuggets team? I really think doing nothing and trying again with a new coach would be better than that...

If we're allowed to talk about a potential dream scenario, couldn't you trade billups and prince for anthony and an expiring contract like chucky, and then go and entice a bosh/wade/lebron the following year in FA? a core of stuckey/rip/carmelo probably wouldn't look that bad to a guy like bosh.

If we're allowed to talk about a potential dream scenario, couldn't you trade billups and prince for anthony and an expiring contract like chucky, and then go and entice a bosh/wade/lebron the following year in FA? a core of stuckey/rip/carmelo probably wouldn't look that bad to a guy like bosh.

You have 2 more seasons till those guys are FA's, assuming they opt out.

To add to Del's reply, I do think Joe is very open to making a 2 for 1 trade. Not that I want T-Mac - and I definitely don't want Randolph, but I almost expect a 2 for 1 trade to happen this year (by 2 for 1 I mean to of our Starters for another team's star - there may/probably will be filler included)

Here is one stolen from realgm. I thought it was interesting.

Detroit trades:

Billups, Prince, Maxiell

Detroit receives:

Odom, Jefferson, #13, #33

Why for Detroit? They upgrade scoring at the SF position, they upgrade rebounding at the PF position... Add a late lotto pick and pave the way for Stuckey to start at PG next season.

C:Sheed/Dice

F:Odom/Amir

F:Jefferson/#29 or #33

G:RIP/AA

G:Stuckey/#13

Portland trades:

LaFrentz, Outlaw, #13, #33

Portland receives:

Billups

Why for Portland? They land a top 5 PG to pair with Roy to make the best starting backcourt in the NBA. This move pushes them into the top 5 in the West and makes them potential championship contenders.

LA Lakers trade:

Odom

LA Lakers receive:

Prince, Swift

Why for LA? This balances our their roster. I couldn't think of a more perfect SF to plug into this lineup than Prince, who is a great glue guy and completely unselfish. This will help them if they were to matchup with the Celtics in the finals again too, as Prince and Kobe should be able to defend Pierce/Allen better than anyone.

New Jersey trades:

Richard Jefferson, Stromile Swift

New Jersey receives:

LaFrentz, Outlaw, Maxiell

Eh, they should still get a 1st round pick in the process like #29 from the Pistons and maybe one next year from another club with a protection on the pick.

Eh, they should still get a 1st round pick in the process like #29 from the Pistons and maybe one next year from another club with a protection on the pick.

Why? They got someone to take Swift off their hands, and they get two young players, plus a big expiring, which knocks two years off Jefferson's contract, and makes them the player they want to be in 2010 when they move into their new arena.

All I have read and heard out of LA is that Odom was a disappointment in the finals and can't be paired with another soft player (Gasol). He's expected to be traded. I don't particularly want to see him in Detroit. . .especially when Prince would do a lot more to help the Lakers get a trophy than Odom would do for the Pistons.

Its possible

Small forwards on the market include Richard Jefferson of the New Jersey Nets, Josh Howard of the Dallas Mavericks, Gerald Wallace of the Charlotte Bobcats and Tayshaun Prince of the Detroit Pistons.

Howard's 2008-09 salary is $9.9 million

Prince's 2008-09 salary is $9.5 million

Both player's contracts expire in 2010-11 at a little over $11 million each.

Prince will be 29 next season and is a few months older than Howard.

There is a possible stumbling block; i.e., Howard's use of Marijuana.

01:23 AM CDT on Saturday, April 19, 2008

Asked whether he caught any flak for that interview, Howard said no. When asked to quantify the extent of his use, he said he got "a little crazy" in high school but uses it "less" now and never during the season.

He emphasizes that marijuana is "nothing I'm needing," unlike some NBA players who "have to have it."

"What can I say? If you can do it and it's not affecting your everyday life, why stop? If I'm able to do it, but not while I play basketball, it lets you know I can quit whenever."

Howard would give us a more up tempo player and a better scorer and rebounder. Howard is better at creating his own shot and he also gets to the foul line about 2X Prince's rate. We would lose some defense, but I could go for this trade.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/041908dnspohowardsider.3c2e27c.html

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=Drafttradetalk-080618&univLogin02=stateChanged&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fdraft2008%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_chad%26page%3dDrafttradetalk-080618%26univLogin02%3dstateChanged

All I have read and heard out of LA is that Odom was a disappointment in the finals and can't be paired with another soft player (Gasol). He's expected to be traded. I don't particularly want to see him in Detroit. . .especially when Prince would do a lot more to help the Lakers get a trophy than Odom would do for the Pistons.

Truthfully, I'd rather gouge out my lower intestines with a splintered, dull-pointed broomstick than try to get Lamar Odom. To say he was a disappointment in the playoffs (and the rest of his career for that matter) is the understatement of the millenium. That dude will never get it.

Truthfully, I'd rather gouge out my lower intestines with a splintered, dull-pointed broomstick than try to get Lamar Odom. To say he was a disappointment in the playoffs (and the rest of his career for that matter) is the understatement of the millenium. That dude will never get it.

Odom plays soft, especially when it counts. He would be all world in Europe. Howard would be better for the Pistons. Odom's salary is also too high for us. He is at $14.5 million. He also becomes a free agent after 2008-09. I would not trade him for Sheed. However, I would trade Wallace and Prince for Odom and Bynum. But I doubt very seriously that the Lakers would do that.

If we drafted Walker then in 2009-10 our starting lineup would be

Amir

Drew

Walker

Stuckey

Rip

Now that would be one heck of a young and exciting group of 4. We would also knock about $23 million off of our salary cap for 2009-10.

Rip's contract expires after 2009-10. Then we would knock another $10 million off for 2010-11 which would give us over $30 million (LOL) in annual salary to got after Lebron in 2010-2011. So maybe in 2010-11

Amir

Drew

Lebron

Walker

Stuckey

Well I can always dream. LOL

Amir

Drew

Walker

Stuckey

Rip

Wow! With a group like that we might even be able to make the playoffs! And think of all the unused salary cap space we might be able to spend!

Apologies for being so snide, but I must trumpet that we not casually toss away this group who has brought us so much success over the past decade...we've really got a rare combination of talented players in their primes who have consistently been one of the top teams in the game for the past several years. It's fun to speculate, but let's at least come up with scenarios that make us a better team next year, which seems to be Joe D's stated goal.

Amir

Drew

Walker

Stuckey

Rip

Wow! With a group like that we might even be able to make the playoffs! And think of all the unused salary cap space we might be able to spend!

Apologies for being so snide, but I must trumpet that we not casually toss away this group who has brought us so much success over the past decade...we've really got a rare combination of talented players in their primes who have consistently been one of the top teams in the game for the past several years. It's fun to speculate, but let's at least come up with scenarios that make us a better team next year, which seems to be Joe D's stated goal.

I agree that we still have enough to win next year if we get a couple of good additions through the draft and MLE and the growth of our young guys.

2010-11 is a long way away and whose to say that Lebron will leave the Cavs, much less sign with us. Having said that that 2010-11 lineup would be darn good. Bynum, Lebron and Stuckey with a couple of D-league players would maybe be enough to win a NBA title. LOL

Nothanks on Howard. Dallas can keep him.

I agree with your assessment of how teams win the in the playoffs, but Howard is physically superior and tougher, though not as resilient as Prince. Howard's defense is under rated by many. Prince and Howard's career 3 point FG percentage is about the same. Howard averaged 5.4 defensive rpg last year vs Prince's 3.5.

So Howard would give us a far better defensive rebounder, a guy who gets to the free throw line about 2X times Prince and has a better conversion rate. Two qualities that are important in the playoffs. They are a push on 3 point shooting.

Prince is a better defender. But he has not been able to stop Lebron or Pierce the last two years in the playoffs. Pierce averaged 19.7 ppg against us during the playoffs this year which is the same as he averaged during the year. As a percentage of Boston's points Pierce percentage was a lot higher against us than it was during the year.

1) Howard has some "concerns" off the court. That's not consistent with what Joe is talking about bringing in.

2) Howard disappears quite often. Yes, so does Tay, but why would we get rid of one disappearing act for another? Especially when Tay has a higher basketball IQ, is a better defender, and is far more versatile.

3) Howard isn't the best player on his team. That excludes him from the conversation according to Joe ("I'm not talking to teams about their second or third best player").

4) I saw what Howard did when Dirk was out and he was being counted on. It didn't impress me.

5) Because of what happened in Boston, people like to forget that Tay carried us through most of the first two series.

6) Finally, Tay for Howard seems like a trade just for the sake of it. There really isn't enough of an advantage to take a risk on Howard. We'd be making a lateral trade when we could be using Tay in a larger deal that could bring us a superstar.

1) Howard has some "concerns" off the court. That's not consistent with what Joe is talking about bringing in.

2) Howard disappears quite often. Yes, so does Tay, but why would we get rid of one disappearing act for another? Especially when Tay has a higher basketball IQ, is a better defender, and is far more versatile.

3) Howard isn't the best player on his team. That excludes him from the conversation according to Joe ("I'm not talking to teams about their second or third best player").

4) I saw what Howard did when Dirk was out and he was being counted on. It didn't impress me.

5) Because of what happened in Boston, people like to forget that Tay carried us through most of the first two series.

6) Finally, Tay for Howard seems like a trade just for the sake of it. There really isn't enough of an advantage to take a risk on Howard. We'd be making a lateral trade when we could be using Tay in a larger deal that could bring us a superstar.

I agree and I don't think Joe trades Tay just for the sake of it. He may trade someone like Sheed or Billups in a more lateral move, but I don't seem him doing that with Tay.

I just wish this group could deliver in the playoffs. At times it seems as if they think they are better than they really are and play lazily.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2008/06/blaha_on_wdfn.html

Blaha on WDFN: Sheed, Rip likely to remain Pistons

by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com

Monday June 23, 2008, 10:10 AM

There's an outside chance that the Detroit Pistons won't make any major moves this offseason, but play-by-play announcer George Blaha, who is a member of the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame's 2008 class, thinks that'll happen only if team president Joe Dumars doesn't get the value he's looking for from other teams.

Most likely, Blaha tells Mike Stone on WDFN's The Stoney and Wojo Show, Rasheed Wallace – because of his age – and Richard Hamilton – because of his consistency – will stick around.

"I don't know who's going to go of the remaining three," he says, "but those two are the least likely to go. I believe Joe is determined to shake them up, and if he can do something he thinks will help this team, then I think he'll do it.

"I think he's also going to be careful of attitudes. And you can throw out all kinds of names if you want, and say, 'Well, is Carmelo Anthony coming here?' I don't know enough about Carmelo Anthony to know about his 'attitude,' but I know they don't want any attitudes around here."

Listen to the whole interview to hear Blaha talk about the Pistons' new coaching staff:

Blaha talking about the possibility the Pistons make no moves, that if they do Dyess and Rip most likely to stay, and how they don't want someone with an attitude like Anthony around the team. Interview is at the link above.

As D said and the article messed up; Blaha mentioned McDyess, not Sheed as to likely staying.