Deleterious

2008 Offseason Speculation/Rumors/Ideas

Great move by Houston. Thats not much AT ALL.

Sigh.

If Artest doesn't go nuts and gets suspended for a bunch of games this trade will make them a contender in the WC.

Their defense now has to rank right up there with Bostons and ours.

I consider Bobby Jackson, basically 2 first round picks and $1 million to be a sizeable ransom for Artest. That is more than value than I would have wanted the Pistons to give up. He is the biggest IF in the whole league.

IF Artest doesn't blow up, they are gonna be a very good team next year.

I consider Bobby Jackson, basically 2 first round picks and $1 million to be a sizeable ransom for Artest. That is more than value than I would have wanted the Pistons to give up. He is the biggest IF in the whole league.

IF Artest doesn't blow up, they are gonna be a very good team next year.

I hardly consider a career 10 ppg, 2.7 rpg, and 2.4 apg guard, worthy of a #1 pick.

I've been thinking. BF keeps bringing up that Josh Smith can't shoot. That's great, but I don't think the Pistons need another shooter. They got Rip and Chauncey who are primarily shooters. Sheed takes a ton of shots, especially threes.

What the Pistons need is a guy who can score around the hoop. A guy who can fly to the basket and dunk on anyone. A guy who can run the floor all night and catch alley-oops from Rip. Josh Smith is pretty much exactly what the Pistons need.

Tay + Maxiell + 2nd rounder for Smith (sign and trade, for like $11 mil avg over 4 years).

Lineup:

Brown/Samb/Johnson??

Sheed

Josh Smith

Rip

Chauncey

McDyess

Stuckey

Afflalo

Sharpe

Bynum

I like the explosiveness of Smith and being able to hold on to Amir. I think this would make the Pistons a much more dynamic team and increase scoring while maintaining a stout defense.

I hardly consider a career 10 ppg, 2.7 rpg, and 2.4 apg guard, worthy of a #1 pick.

I wasn't saying that Bobby Jackson was like a #1 pick.

As I understood the trade it was: Jackson, Donte Greene (this year's first round pick for the Rockets), a first from next year + $1 mil for Artest.

On second thought, that might not be a sizeable ransom. But based on the likelihood that Artest shanks a ref or throws the ball at a fan's head, I'd say that it is more than I'd like to pay.

Well, Battier should be available now, I supposed Artest/McGrady will cover the 2/3 spots. Move Prince to ATL for J Smith, send Billups to Houston for Battier?

I wasn't saying that Bobby Jackson was like a #1 pick.

As I understood the trade it was: Jackson, Donte Greene (this year's first round pick for the Rockets), a first from next year + $1 mil for Artest.

On second thought, that might not be a sizeable ransom. But based on the likelihood that Artest shanks a ref or throws the ball at a fan's head, I'd say that it is more than I'd like to pay.

My bad, I didn't see that Greene was tossed in.

Well, Battier should be available now, I supposed Artest/McGrady will cover the 2/3 spots. Move Prince to ATL for J Smith, send Billups to Houston for Battier?

Chauncey for Battier seems extremely one sided in Houston's favor.

Chauncey for Battier seems extremely one sided in Houston's favor.

Well, not straight up, plus Battier is older then I thought he was, so maybe not. How about moving Prince, and trying to send a Billups package out to Portland for some of their young talent. They need a point guard and a veteran badly.

Well, not straight up, plus Battier is older then I thought he was, so maybe not. How about moving Prince, and trying to send a Billups package out to Portland for some of their young talent. They need a point guard and a veteran badly.

Prince + Maxiell + Pick to Atlanta for Josh Smith + Acie Law

Billups + cash $ to Portland for LaMarcus Aldridge + Travis Outlaw

Stuckey/Law/Bynum

Rip/Afflalo

Smith/Outlaw/Sharpe

Sheed/Dyess/Johnson

Aldridge/Samb

This is fun! Good thing I'm not Joe D.

I'm sure someone can cook up a delirously convoluted 3-way trade involving Detroit, Houston and Atlanta.

Prince + Maxiell + Pick to Atlanta for Josh Smith + Acie Law

Billups + cash $ to Portland for LaMarcus Aldridge + Travis Outlaw

Stuckey/Law/Bynum

Rip/Afflalo

Smith/Outlaw/Sharpe

Sheed/Dyess/Johnson

Aldridge/Samb

This is fun! Good thing I'm not Joe D.

Playstation..

Of course.

In reality I would love to see the backcourt remain intact and only one trade be made, if any.

2008champsbanner.gif

Signing Kwame Brown could be the end for Rasheed Wallace in Detroit. If Brown plays well, sources say that the Pistons could move Rasheed and his expiring contract at the trade deadline. This is a big if though because so far, Brown hasn't realized any of the potential that made him a number 1 pick. But then again, there have been players who have languished in one system and then broke out in another

http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2008/07/rumors-and-free-agent-updates_29.html

MICHAEL ROSENBERG

Signing former No. 1 pick Kwame Brown would be smart move for Pistons

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG • FREE PRESS COLUMNIST • July 30, 2008

The Pistons are about to sign former No. 1 overall pick Kwame Brown, and I think a lot of fans are scratching their heads on this one. Some are scratching as hard as they possibly can in an attempt to remove their brains.

Advertisement

They don't particularly care for Brown. Ah, who am I kidding? They hate him and everything he represents.

They think he was handed NBA millions before he earned them, that he copped an attitude when things didn't go his way, that his talent was overrated when he went No. 1 overall, and that he set the Wizards and the Lakers back with his mere presence.

That's largely true.

But you have to look at the other side of this, which is: So what?

This is a smart, low-risk move for the Pistons. It might not work out, but it can't possibly be a disaster.

The Pistons didn't use the No. 1 overall pick on Brown, like the Wizards did. They did not trade All-Star Caron Butler for him, like the Lakers did. They just offered him $4 million a year, for one or two years. That's a lot of money to you and me, but NBA owners find that kind of cash in the seat cushions of their corporate jets.

Kwame Brown is a young, strong, athletic, 6-foot-11 player with limited ball skills. He never should have been the No. 1 overall pick, but he has a place in the NBA.

Brown gives the Pistons another usable piece. He has the size and defensive ability to fill in when Rasheed Wallace and Antonio McDyess get in foul trouble.

Besides, this signing is not just about Brown. It's also about everybody else.

Pistons president Joe Dumars declared in June that he would try to shake up his core. Well, Dumars has been shaking for weeks now, and Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Wallace and McDyess are still together. I knew those guys were close, but I didn't realize they were stuck to each other.

So what does Dumars do now? A few options.

1. He brings back a 59-win team with a new coach (Michael Curry) and a plan to give second-year guard Rodney Stuckey starter's minutes. Everybody blends together, Stuckey emerges as a breakout star, Brown makes a nice contribution off the bench and the Pistons win their fourth championship.

2. Dumars pulls off a major trade during the season. Things change fast in the NBA -- deals that are dead now can come alive in a few months.

Twelve months ago, Billups had just signed a long-term deal with the Pistons, Kevin Garnett wanted no part of Boston and Kobe Bryant was stopping guys in the street and complaining about Lakers management.

Houston could sour on Tracy McGrady. Denver could lose patience with Carmelo Anthony. Both of those teams have been frustrated with their superstars in the past. The Nuggets extended an olive branch to Anthony this summer, but you never know with Anthony. He might take that olive branch and try to smoke it. And then Denver would be open to trading him. Or somebody else might come available, too. Again: You just never know.

I still firmly believe that Dumars' first choice is to trade Billups. But if Brown plays well, the Pistons can look at trading one of their big guys, probably Wallace. As the trade deadline approaches next season, Wallace's value likely will increase. His contract is up next summer, and NBA teams salivate over big, expiring contracts.

3. The Pistons bring back the same team and lose in the Eastern Conference playoffs again.

Yes, of course scenario No. 3 is possible. Right now, I would even call it likely.

But the Pistons' summer of intrigue is not over. It will just extend into fall, and maybe winter. Next spring is a long way off.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/SPORTS03/807300404/1051

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/54054/20080819/source_says_ratliff_sixers_agree_to_1_year_deal/

Source Says Ratliff, Sixers Agree To 1-Year Deal

Theo Ratliff has chosen the Philadelphia 76ers from an array of offers he has received and will sign a one year contract with the team, the Philadelphia Daily News is reporting.

The contract will be for the veterans' minimum.

Well, kind of mixed feelings on Ratliff, for the vet's minimum he's a good bargain, but I didn't want to see him come back and take minutes from the developing players. Hopefully the young guys will step up, and a player like Ratliff won't be needed.