2008 Offseason Speculation/Rumors/Ideas

LA Clippers get:

Sheed

Billups

Pistons 1st round pick

Detroit gets:

E. Brand (sign and trade)

T. Thomas

Clippers get an expiring deal in Sheed and a PG that can actually play plus the 1st round pick.

Pistons get a legit big man at PF and a good rebounding backup to Tayshaun. Thomas is known for being an underachiever but it's worth the risk IMO if he is a role player instead of a major piece.

Here is an idea I have been pondering for a bit.

It works salary cap wise with some tweaking

Trade Sheed, Maxiell, Prince, Juan Dixon (sign and trade) along with our first round draft choice to the Clippers

For

Elton Brand - Fully recovered from his injury and still only 29 (He is a 20-10 PF)

Corey Maggette - Only 29. He gets to the free throw line (9.7 pg last year) and makes his free throws 80% plus. He shot 38% on his 3s last year and he is a better rebounder than Prince. He can also create his own shot.

Clippers first round pick this year.

Why would the Clippers do this trade?

Both Maggette and Brand are player option free agents this year and with Sheed the Clippers will be able to take his $13 million off of their salary cap next year.

I personally doubt that this trade would happen but if it did we would have

Starters

------------

Brand

Maggette

Johnson

Billups

Hamilton

Bench - top 3

--------

Stuckey

Dyess

Danilo Gallinari or Kevin Love

Clippers

----------

Sheed

Kaman

Prince

Shooting Guard??

Livingston

Bench

----------

Thorton

Maxiell

Dixon

Here is an idea I have been pondering for a bit. It works salary cap wise with some tweaking Trade Sheed, Maxiell, Prince, Juan Dixon (sign and trade) along with our first round draft choice to the Clippers For Elton Brand - Fully recovered from his injury and still only 29 (He is a 20-10 PF) Corey Maggette - Only 29. He gets to the free throw line (9.7 pg last year) and makes his free throws 80% plus. He shot 38% on his 3s last year and he is a better rebounder than Prince. He can also create his own shot. Clippers first round pick this year. Why would the Clippers do this trade? Both Maggette and Brand are player option free agents this year and with Sheed the Clippers will be able to take his $13 million off of their salary cap next year. I personally doubt that this trade would happen but if it did we would have Starters ------------ Brand Maggette Johnson Billups Hamilton Bench - top 3 -------- Stuckey Dyess Danilo Gallinari or Kevin Love Clippers ---------- Sheed Kaman Prince Shooting Guard?? Livingston Bench ---------- Thorton Maxiell Dixon
Is this just an attempt to insert Amir into the starting lineup?

Here is an idea I have been pondering for a bit.

It works salary cap wise with some tweaking

Trade Sheed, Maxiell, Prince, Juan Dixon (sign and trade) along with our first round draft choice to the Clippers

For

Elton Brand - Fully recovered from his injury and still only 29 (He is a 20-10 PF)

Corey Maggette - Only 29. He gets to the free throw line (9.7 pg last year) and makes his free throws 80% plus. He shot 38% on his 3s last year and he is a better rebounder than Prince. He can also create his own shot.

Clippers first round pick this year.

Why would the Clippers do this trade?

Both Maggette and Brand are player option free agents this year and with Sheed the Clippers will be able to take his $13 million off of their salary cap next year.

I personally doubt that this trade would happen but if it did we would have

Starters

------------

Brand

Maggette

Johnson

Billups

Hamilton

Bench - top 3

--------

Stuckey

Dyess

Danilo Gallinari or Kevin Love

Clippers

----------

Sheed

Kaman

Prince

Shooting Guard??

Livingston

Bench

----------

Thorton

Maxiell

Dixon

Both Magette and Brand are out of contract, IIRC. If so, the Clippers couldn't trade them.

Flashbacks to Lindsey Hunter and Terry Mills to the Kings for Chris Webber.

LA Clippers get: Sheed Billups Pistons 1st round pick Detroit gets: E. Brand (sign and trade) T. Thomas Clippers get an expiring deal in Sheed and a PG that can actually play plus the 1st round pick. Pistons get a legit big man at PF and a good rebounding backup to Tayshaun. Thomas is known for being an underachiever but it's worth the risk IMO if he is a role player instead of a major piece.
I guess he'd fit right in wouldn't he? I'd like Elton Brand, but not if we have to give up C-Note. Seriously, how many games would we win without Billups? I don't even think we'll get out of the first round, if we even make the playoffs.

My problem with trading Tay, Rip or C-Note is that they all complement each other. Look at the bad teams in the NBA. They don't necessarily lack talent. That tells you one thing-talent is pretty much irrelevant. If, hypothetically, we did trade Tay Rip and C-Note for a superstar, we wouldn't get better. We'd get worse. We'd basically turn into the 06 Lakers. We'd have one superstar but no chemistry or supporting cast at all. The Pistons starting 5 is like a puzzle, and every piece is important. C-Note is the leader, Rip is the shooter, Tay is the stopper, Sheed is the go to guy, and Dice is the garbage man. The only problem I have with this lineup is Sheed. He's a crappy go-to-guy. He has all the talent in the world but he's just not consistent enough. But I just can't see a way we can get a new go-to-guy without either overspending or making a trade that will only make us worse. I hope Joe D figures something out.

LA Clippers get:

Sheed

Billups

Pistons 1st round pick

Detroit gets:

T. Thomas

Clippers get an expiring deal in Sheed and a PG that can actually play plus the 1st round pick.

Pistons get a legit big man at PF and a good rebounding backup to Tayshaun. Thomas is known for being an underachiever but it's worth the risk IMO if he is a role player instead of a major piece.

This might be the best trade idea I have seen yet.

LA Clippers get:

Sheed

Billups

Pistons 1st round pick

Detroit gets:

T. Thomas

I agree with Deleterious. I wouldn't mind this trade too. The only problem I have is at the center position. As everyone's pointed out, we got killed on the boards in the Boston series. With this line-up, Brand will def. help out but then we have nothing at center. There is no way you are going to put Dyess/Maxiell at the 5 and Samb is certainly not ready yet. So, do you find something in free-agency? Maybe the draft? It might be hard to do that considering what's out there.

Stuckey

Rip

Tay

Brand

????

Afflalo

Maxiell

Dyess

Amir

Unless I'm forgetting anyone signed on for next year, we are also pretty flimsy at the 1/2/3. Thoughts?

Cheers from London.

Brian

I agree with Deleterious. I wouldn't mind this trade too. The only problem I have is at the center position. As everyone's pointed out, we got killed on the boards in the Boston series. With this line-up, Brand will def. help out but then we have nothing at center. There is no way you are going to put Dyess/Maxiell at the 5 and Samb is certainly not ready yet. So, do you find something in free-agency? Maybe the draft? It might be hard to do that considering what's out there.

Stuckey

Rip

Tay

Brand

????

Afflalo

Maxiell

Dyess

Amir

Unless I'm forgetting anyone signed on for next year, we are also pretty flimsy at the 1/2/3. Thoughts?

Cheers from London.

Brian

I would try to get them to toss in Brevin Knight as well. Be a nice veteran backup for Stuckey. Plus, I have always liked Knight.

Center is going to be a big issue no matter what this year I think. Not much help on the FA market either. Maybe take a look at Jamaal Magloire? He had a couple of pretty good seasons. I admit though, I don't know enough about him to know what his issues are as of late.

Is this just an attempt to insert Amir into the starting lineup?

I don't have to insert him in the starting lineup because I can't and because whoever is the coach of the Pistons next year will.

If Johnson is not hurt next year he will be in the starting lineup before the end of next year.

DENVER GETS: Rasheed Wallace, Tayshaun Prince and some picks

DETROIT GETS: Carmello Anthony and Marcus Camby

LA Clippers get:

Sheed

Billups

Pistons 1st round pick

Detroit gets:

T. Thomas

Are you serious? You want to trade the Pistons 2 best players for Elton Brand (get real, you know Tim Thomas wouldn't even smell the floor)? That is absurd. They'd need to throw in Maggette and their 1st round pick for that trade to even be close.

That would be amazing. However, Carmelo Anthony:Nuggets::Amir Johnson:Buddahfan (they hold players in far too high of regard). It is gonna take a lot to get him. I think the Pistons' offer would have to be at least: Sheed, Rip, Max or Afflalo and the 1st round pick.

Maybe if they threw in Linus Kleiza...

On some Pistons forums the majority by far want Laimbeer to be the new Pistons coach.

It won't happen.

Besides why would someone want to coach a bunch of guys when they can coach women, especially when they don't need the money?

On some Pistons forums the majority by far want Laimbeer to be the new Pistons coach. It won't happen. Besides why would someone want to coach a bunch of guys when they can coach women, especially when they don't need the money?
Comparing the WNBA to the NBA is like comparing the AFL to the NFL. If Bill wants more recognition, he'll come. If not, he'll stay. Btw, I'd like Sheed and a pick to go to either LA or IND for Brand or O'Neal(both are sign and trades). Here's why the teams will be happy to do it- They know that both players are gonna leave, so they might as well get what they can. I seriously doubt anyone's gonna offer anything better than Sheed and a first rounder for either of those two guys. The only problem in my mind would be either convincing the players to take a pay cut or trying to work around the cap limitations.

Comparing the WNBA to the NBA is like comparing the AFL to the NFL. If Bill wants more recognition, he'll come. If not, he'll stay. Btw, I'd like Sheed and a pick to go to either LA or IND for Brand or O'Neal(both are sign and trades). Here's why the teams will be happy to do it- They know that both players are gonna leave, so they might as well get what they can. I seriously doubt anyone's gonna offer anything better than Sheed and a first rounder for either of those two guys. The only problem in my mind would be either convincing the players to take a pay cut or trying to work around the cap limitations.

It is not a forgone conclusion O'Neal will opt out. He is owed around $20 million next year and will not even get close to that with a new deal. He would really have to hate the Pacers and what is going on there to do it.

Are you serious? You want to trade the Pistons 2 best players for Elton Brand (get real, you know Tim Thomas wouldn't even smell the floor)? That is absurd. They'd need to throw in Maggette and their 1st round pick for that trade to even be close.

I am completely serious. Sheed has one year left on his deal and is nearing the end of his career. He CAN be the best player on the floor. He rarely is.

Elton Brand is an absolute force in the paint. Tim Thomas would see plenty of action as Prince's backup and Curry could even play Tay at the 2 while Thomas was at the 3 for a "big" lineup. If he can be motivated, Thomas can be very good. And he is a solid rebounder.

This team needs an honest to goodness PG. Billups can be a true PG and at other times can be a SG playing PG.

In the end a lineup of:

Stuckey PG

Hamilton SG

Prince SF

Brand PF

Johnson C

T. Thomas

Aflallo

McDyess

is better for many more years than what they had this year.

Thats a joke. Denver would be getting ripped off if unless you meant 1st Round pick for 10 years by "some picks"

If you want Carmello and Camby, the deal starts with Sheed AND Rip and possibly Tay or one of the youngins. Plus draft picks.

It is not a forgone conclusion O'Neal will opt out. He is owed around $20 million next year and will not even get close to that with a new deal. He would really have to hate the Pacers and what is going on there to do it.
If he wants to win a championship, and if he knows that he only has a few good years left, he probably will opt out. Detroit seems like a logical choice because Boston, San Antonio, LA and most of the other teams with a good chance to win a title are already set at PF.

If you want Carmello and Camby, the deal starts with Sheed AND Rip and possibly Tay...

I doubt it'd cost us all three, but .. okay. If they want all three, I'd swap first round picks. They are desperate for change, just like us, you know.

I am completely serious. Sheed has one year left on his deal and is nearing the end of his career. He CAN be the best player on the floor. He rarely is. Elton Brand is an absolute force in the paint. Tim Thomas would see plenty of action as Prince's backup and Curry could even play Tay at the 2 while Thomas was at the 3 for a "big" lineup. If he can be motivated, Thomas can be very good. And he is a solid rebounder. This team needs an honest to goodness PG. Billups can be a true PG and at other times can be a SG playing PG. In the end a lineup of: Stuckey PG Hamilton SG Prince SF Brand PF Johnson C T. Thomas Aflallo McDyess is better for many more years than what they had this year.
I love how everyone thinks Billups is expendable. Rotfl.