Deleterious

2008 Offseason Speculation/Rumors/Ideas

I really am encouraged by this Biedrins, Billups rumor. I've been a big fan of Biedrins since his rookie year, and even though he is still pretty raw there is a lot there to like. He's still very young and even with his offensive limitations he can board and block shots.

If GSW needed Detroit to sweeten the pot, what do you think it would take?

I would say tossing in Max would get it done. They need a PG bad, and would need another big if they lose Biedrins, and Max would fill that role.

Now that I think about it, Nelson would probably rather have Amir, he is a Nelson type player. Bit undersized, long and athletic. Can get out and run the floor (I assume, hard to tell since we never run).

I don't think Joe D. offered Sheed to the Clippers for a draft pick or else the Clippers preferred Camby to Sheed.

Pistons deny they're close to a deal for Tracy McGrady

By VINCE ELLIS • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • July 11, 2008

A team source indicated today that the Pistons are not “remotely” close to a deal for Houston Rockets superstar Tracy McGrady.

Advertisement

Metronews.ca, which is based in Toronto, said in an Internet report — but cited no sources — that the Pistons are "making a big push for McGrady."

The Pistons source downplayed the report, saying the Rockets are just one of many teams to whom the club has spoken about potential trades.

McGrady, a 6-foot-8 forward with 11 seasons under his belt, spent his first three seasons in Toronto. He averaged 21.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.9 assists last season for Houston.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/SPORTS03/80711079/1051

Pistons consider a Carlos Delfino return

By VINCE ELLIS • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • July 8, 2008

The Pistons have been in contact with several free-agent swingmen around the league, and one name is particularly interesting.

Advertisement

Former Piston Carlos Delfino is among the free agents the team is considering signing. Tomorrow is the first day NBA free agents can sign contracts, although they can agree to deals earlier.

Delfino, a 6-foot-6 forward from Argentina, averaged nine points per game in 82 games for the Toronto Raptors last season, his fourth year in the NBA.

A restricted free agent, Delfino received a qualifying offer by the Raptors in June, which means Toronto has the right to match any offer he gets.

But the Raptors have a glut of swingmen and might be reluctant to match.

The Pistons traded Delfino to Toronto in 2007 for draft picks after three years of inconsistent play and minutes. He was the Pistons’ second, first-round selection in 2003 — the year Darko Milicic was taken second overall.

The NBA will release the salary cap number for the 2008-09 season Wednesday, a figure expected to be about $59 million, with the luxury tax kicking in at $70 million.

The Pistons have committed $60 million in salary for next season, but can use the mid-level exception — around $5.6 million — to sign a player or two.

The Pistons have also contacted Golden State’s Mickael Pietrus, Portland’s James Jones, Boston’s James Posey and Utah’s C.J. Miles.

Published reports said the Pistons might be interested in pursuing Clippers free agent Corey Maggette, but he is thought to be waiting to see if he can get a big deal from a team that has plenty of spending money under the salary cap.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080708/SPORTS03/80708046/1051

Pistons deny they're close to a deal for Tracy McGrady

By VINCE ELLIS • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • July 11, 2008

A team source indicated today that the Pistons are not “remotely” close to a deal for Houston Rockets superstar Tracy McGrady.

Advertisement

Metronews.ca, which is based in Toronto, said in an Internet report — but cited no sources — that the Pistons are "making a big push for McGrady."

The Pistons source downplayed the report, saying the Rockets are just one of many teams to whom the club has spoken about potential trades.

McGrady, a 6-foot-8 forward with 11 seasons under his belt, spent his first three seasons in Toronto. He averaged 21.6 points, 5.1 rebounds and 5.9 assists last season for Houston.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080711/SPORTS03/80711079/1051

Thats a week old. The one I posted today is from this morning. To much speculation for there not to be some interest at least.

I don't think Joe D. offered Sheed to the Clippers for a draft pick or else the Clippers preferred Camby to Sheed.

Either that or they valued Camby and their draft pick more than Sheed. They didn't even give up a pick for Camby, just the right for Denver to switch 2nd round picks with them in 2010.

Either that or they valued Camby and their draft pick more than Sheed. They didn't even give up a pick for Camby, just the right for Denver to switch 2nd round picks with them in 2010.

This trade can't really be compared to the Pistons' summer plans. The Nuggets were looking to reduce salary, the Pistons are looking to improve the team. Throwing Sheed away for nothing would save some money, but it would be a considerable injury to our squad.

If we make a trade for TMac, what would Houston be looking for? What would we be willing to give up? They'd probably need to get a scorer back in return, so that's Rip...

Rip+Billups - Not sure if Joe would consider trading away his all-star backcourt, but it does leave us with an amazing starting lineup of Stuckey, TMac, Tay, Dice, and Sheed. Also, it puts us in sweet cap position when Sheed comes off next year and then TMac the year after. Not to mention the option of moving Sheed at the trade deadline to a team desperate for cap relief. Houston would be scary-good as well with a lineup of Billups, Rip, Battier, Scola, and Yao.

Rip+Sheed - We'd need to get a big back in return otherwise we'll be seriously hurting up front. They seem to be in love with Scola right now, but if they tossed him in, I'd be willing to make this deal. We'd have Chauncy, TMac, Tay, Scola, and Dice with Stuckey being our Vinnie Johnson. Again Houston comes out pretty well with a lineup of Alston, Rip, Battier, Sheed, Yao. Doesn't seem as good for either team as the first deal, but it's pretty close.

Rip+Tay - Why would they want Tay when they have his clone in Battier? I can't see a reason why Houston does this deal unless they send Battier over to us and that would require us giving up another player to match salaries. In this scenario, we'd probably run our lineup as Billups, Stuckey, TMac, Dice, and Sheed. Could be interesting, but I'm not sure it works for us or Houston.

...or maybe they want to run all offense through Yao and don't need Rip in return:

Billups + Tay - Again, I don't see why they'd want Tay when they still have Battier. This option is nice for us because it means we start Stuckey, Rip, TMac, Dice, and Sheed. Wow. But I don't see how it works for Houston.

Billups + Sheed - This would require something more in return from Houston to make the dollars work...again, maybe Scola. But, it puts us in a weird spot with Tay who winds up becoming a bench player. So, we wind up with an abundance of talent at the SG/SF position and weak in the frontcourt. Not sure I like it.

Tay + Sheed - Again, they wouldn't want Tay when they have Battier, but again we need something more to make the dollars work, so maybe Houston sends us Shane as well. So, we start Billups, Rip, TMac, Dice, ???. That's by far the best 1-3 in the league, with Stuckey as our Microwave off the bench. Is it enough with a weak front-court or do we just become the Washington Wizards? And does Houston even like this deal? It gives them an amazing Front-court, but they make a lateral move in Tay for Battier and only really get Sheed for TMac. I doubt either team goes for it.

The way I see it all the deals that include Tay really don't make sense, especially for Houston.

In my eyes, the best deal for both sides is the first one listed: Billups+Hamilton for TMac. The salaries actually work too.

Where I think a crack develops - a crack that might allow McGrady trade talk to slip in - is in Houston's confidence that they can actually get both of their cornerstones healthy at the same time. As good as Yao and McGrady might be together, there is a growing feeling among Rockets fans that they won't ever see their heroes healthy together when it matters most.

Even if the times comes when the Rockets might be willing to move McGrady, it won't be for Chauncey Billups and Tayshaun Prince, as has been rumored time and time again in Detroit media. Rafer Alston has been nothing short of fantastic, and the Rockets are optimistic that Brooks will be ready to log meaningful minutes this season. Bobby Jackson is still in place, as well, and his knowledge of the Adelman offense was invaluable last year. Bringing in Billups - awesome as he is - only creates problems at the point. But the real killer is Prince, who is basically Shane Battier. If there are two more similar players, I don't know who they are. Battier, though, is more of a locker room influence than the reserved Prince. In other words, the Rockets already have the better version of Prince, and certainly don't need another. Neither Billups nor Prince is a premier scorer, so the Rockets would be giving up a lot of points in the deal.

Something involving Rip Hamilton would make a lot more sense for Houston, but that's not what's being rumored . . .and again, the Rockets maintain McGrady isn't on the table anyway.

Ignoring the salary cap problem for second, I think that Hamilton for McGrady would be a good trade for us. McGrady can play the #3 as well as the #2 so he could could start at the #2 and back up Tay at the #3, with Afflalo getting 20 - 25 minutes at the #2.

The problems is that McGrady makes about $10.5 million more than Hamilton and since Houston and us are both over the cap I believe that the trade must be of equal dollar value, though I am not sure about this.

We only have one non starter, Amir who makes over $2 million at $3.6 million. So there is no way that we could do an even dollar trade for McGrady unless we gave up two starters.

Now if Houston was willing to take Sheed along with Rip there combined salaries are $24.1 million.

Scola is at $3.1 million so if you add his salary to McGrady's you get $24.2 which would be an equal value trade.

I think that this trade would be favorable for us and unfavorable for them, mainly because of Sheed's age and the fact that he has said that he will be retiring after next year.

The biggest problem we have in trading our core guys is dollar value matching because their salaries are so low compared to other players of equivalent skill value. That plus the fact that we don't have any bad salaries among our reserves makes it very difficult for us to make a trade involving key guys.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9413

because of Sheed's age and the fact that he has said that he will be retiring after next year.

Where has he said this? I wouldn't be surprised, but this is the very first I have heard this.

Where has he said this? I wouldn't be surprised, but this is the very first I have heard this.

Sheed retiring after next year

That's what Stephen A. Smith said on ESPNews this afternoon, sorry I

don't have a link or anything but I'm sure one of you guys saw it too.

This just makes him harder to deal, and sounds like he's trying to

sabotage a trade.

http://paspn.net/default.asp?p=16&forumId=1447&action=1&postid=228932&parentid=228932&page=1&totalrep=14&pagenumber=1&totalpagenumber=1

Thanks for the link. Obviously I didn't hear it, nor have I read it anywhere. Did anyone else hear it? I would have thought it would have been reported on Mlive, Freep, News, somewhere if Smith said it as so much of what he says is reported on there. In other words, I don't necessarily believe the poster on Pistontalk.com - I stopped going there a couple of years ago as so many of them were full of bologna.

Sheed retiring after next year doesn't hurt his trade value at all...anyone trading for him would want him for value as an expiring contract more than anything else, and wouldn't hate that he'll be an solid contributor this year,IMO. Charlotte really needs to take him off our hands. With all that cap space, they could possibly be in the running for putting two of the big boys on their squad come 2010. Wouldn't be nuts to think that if D-Wade or Lebron wanting to go play for Larry Brown and Michael Jordan...wow...I wish i were a Bobcat fan so I could day dream about that.

wow...I wish i were a Bobcat fan so I could day dream about that.

Well go ahead and become one then :-)

Seriously though I would prefer to be a Piston fan who know I will be competitive in 08 & 09 as well as 10.

Seriously though I would prefer to be a Piston fan who know I will be competitive in 08 & 09 as well as 10.

Amen, who wants to suck for 2 years so maybe you have a slim shot at a star? No thanks.

it was a joke

I still think that we end up with Carmelo Anthony, when it's all said and done. It'd be nice to add Boozer as well, though I doubt that happens.

I'm sure it'll be a three team deal to land Carmelo, so they're just searching for that third team, so I am sure we'll get more than just Anthony.

I wouldn't put it past him. I don't think Rasheed Wallace really likes basketball all that much and would like to sit around and get fat with his family. I don't think he's using it as any ploy, he probably is really thinking about getting out.

I also just noticed Matt Barnes is still available, he'd be a good Tayshaun backup, and it's looking like he can be had cheaply.

I wouldn't put it past him. I don't think Rasheed Wallace really likes basketball all that much and would like to sit around and get fat with his family. I don't think he's using it as any ploy, he probably is really thinking about getting out.

I've got to stand up for Rasheed here. Everything I've ever seen or read paints 'Sheed as being totally in love with the game (minus the refs).

Rockets GM dismisses trade talk involving McGrady

July 16, 2008 - 3:32PM

The Associated Press

HOUSTON - Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said Wednesday that Tracy McGrady is happy in Houston and was surprised at how reports characterized his interest in being traded to Detroit.

Morey spoke a day after an ESPN reporter said McGrady had told him he would be interested in playing for the Pistons. Last week, a Canadian-based media outlet reported without citing sources that Detroit was making a run at the seven-time All-Star.

Morey said he talked to McGrady on Wednesday morning.

"He said he wanted to win and they (the media) ran with it," Morey said. "He said he's happy in Houston. He just was surprised how it all came out."

McGrady's agent, Arn Tellem, did not immediately return a phone message.

Morey said he had one conversation with the Pistons "a few weeks ago." He said he turned down preliminary offers, but wouldn't specify whether any of them involved McGrady.

"I don't want to say what was related," Morey said. "Whatever they offered, we said no to."

McGrady has two years left on his contract at more than $21 million next season and $23.2 million in 2009-10.

The 29-year-old McGrady averaged 21.6 points, 5.9 assists and 5.1 rebounds per game last season, helping Houston to a 55-27 record that included a 22-game winning streak.

The Rockets lost to Utah in the first round of the playoffs for the second consecutive year. McGrady is 0-7 in playoff series in his career.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/mcgrady_14668___article.html/morey_houston.html

Blaha on WDFN: Sheed, Rip likely to remain Pistons

by Philip Zaroo | MLive.com

Monday June 23, 2008, 10:10 AM

There's an outside chance that the Detroit Pistons won't make any major moves this offseason, but play-by-play announcer George Blaha, who is a member of the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame's 2008 class, thinks that'll happen only if team president Joe Dumars doesn't get the value he's looking for from other teams.

Most likely, Blaha tells Mike Stone on WDFN's The Stoney and Wojo Show, Rasheed Wallace – because of his age – and Richard Hamilton – because of his consistency – will stick around.

"I don't know who's going to go of the remaining three," he says, "but those two are the least likely to go. I believe Joe is determined to shake them up, and if he can do something he thinks will help this team, then I think he'll do it.

"I think he's also going to be careful of attitudes. And you can throw out all kinds of names if you want, and say, 'Well, is Carmelo Anthony coming here?' I don't know enough about Carmelo Anthony to know about his 'attitude,' but I know they don't want any attitudes around here."

Listen to the whole interview to hear Blaha talk about the Pistons' new coaching staff:

It seems to me that these comments by Blaha would seem to significantly reduce the chances of Smith coming to us.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/mcgrady_14668___article.html/morey_houston.html

I don't know what Joe D. is going to wind up doing if anything at all in the trade market, but for sure his comments about "no sacred cows" have given the die hard Pistons fans something to assuage the loss to the Celtics and talk about during the summer. LOL

:grin: :grin: :ponder: :ponder: