Deleterious

2008 Offseason Speculation/Rumors/Ideas

Honestly, I think it is Billups being shipped out come the 1st when his BYC is gone. If so, they would want to keep that quiet in case the deal fell apart and you have to bring him back. No sense in making him angry about things. I expect the rumors to really start flying come the 1st.

Yeah, that's a good point. If it's Billups, then they can't really say much. I just don't want to see us let all the trades happen while we sit back and watch like we did last year. I can still taste how ticked off I was last year over all the sweet deals that passed us by. However, I realize it's a bit different because Joe wasn't actively shopping last year (even though he should have been instead of delaying the obvious for another year).

That is because Stern orchestrated the Garnett and Gasol trades so he could have his Celtics - Lakers series

/Sigh

Maybe, but look at what teams have given up for big names such as Jermaine Oneal, Richard Jefferson, Jason Richardson, Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, Pau Gasol, and Zach Randolph over the past two years. What we have to offer is just as good as any of the bags of balls they got in exchange for those guys.

So where were we? Not that I'm saying I'd want every one of those guys, but some of them could have really been good moves for us and teams gave up almost nothing to get them.

...and then there's also the purchased draft picks last year and this year.

I'm actually thankful that Dumars, for the most part, has resisted the hype and spin. His deal for Rasheed was as good or better than any you mentioned. Yeah, the Celtics made a killing last year but I don't know that they will be as good, for as long as Dumars group has been.

I still don't know though what burning need Dumars think his team has. . .he's mentioned hunger, not talent as the problem. If he sees the answer in the draft, I would expect him to make a move. . .otherwise he'll hold his cards. Which is fine with me.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Draft-Day-Rumblings--320-PM-EST--2950/

Memphis is in the words of one NBA executive “doing everything in their power to trade their pick.” The team doesn’t have any real preference regarding where they are heading in, as they are “calling everybody in the league,” looking to move up or down, trying to get veterans primarily, while also possibly trying to move down. One trade that they reportedly offered was Mike Conley to Portland in exchange for the #13 pick, Sergio Rodriguez and Travis Outlaw. Another offer was to Detroit: the #5 and filler for Rodney Stuckey, which was rejected. If Memphis keeps the pick, we’re hearing they like Eric Gordon, as well as Kevin Love.

What does everything think the odds are that Dumars is focused on having the ability to play in the big free agent game in 2010? Do you think that plays in his decision making at all?

What does everything think the odds are that Dumars is focused on having the ability to play in the big free agent game in 2010? Do you think that plays in his decision making at all?

I certainly hope so! As long as we get at least 2 of the 3 of Wade/Bosh/Lebron I could settle for that! :rambo:

I'm actually thankful that Dumars, for the most part, has resisted the hype and spin. His deal for Rasheed was as good or better than any you mentioned. Yeah, the Celtics made a killing last year but I don't know that they will be as good, for as long as Dumars group has been.

I still don't know though what burning need Dumars think his team has. . .he's mentioned hunger, not talent as the problem. If he sees the answer in the draft, I would expect him to make a move. . .otherwise he'll hold his cards. Which is fine with me.

This is true, I mean it's not like there's anything broken with our team, we just barely came up short from another title chance, so standing pat is fine too. But making a big trade would be lots of fun, heck you only live once!

Very slim.

I think in the next few weeks that Joe D will be busy trying to move a starter or two. Last night I had a dream that we made a trade with the Clippers. They are looking for somebody to play the point, and Elton Brand very well could be moved by them.

In my dream we traded Chauncey, Sheed, and a future pick for Elton Brand and Corey Maggette. What would you guys think of something like that?

I think in the next few weeks that Joe D will be busy trying to move a starter or two. Last night I had a dream that we made a trade with the Clippers. They are looking for somebody to play the point, and Elton Brand very well could be moved by them.

In my dream we traded Chauncey, Sheed, and a future pick for Elton Brand and Corey Maggette. What would you guys think of something like that?

Where would Maggette fit in? Rip and Prince would still be around.

Where would Maggette fit in? Rip and Prince would still be around.

It was just a dream, it didn't give me all of the details. Maybe tonight I will dream that we trade Prince and that problem will be solved. I wouldn't have an issue with Maggette being our 6th man and splitting his time at both the 2 and the 3. But, then he'll be taking away minutes from Afflalo at the 2 and Sharpe if he's going to be our back-up 3 hindering their development.

It was just a dream, it didn't give me all of the details. Maybe tonight I will dream that we trade Prince and that problem will be solved. I wouldn't have an issue with Maggette being our 6th man and splitting his time at both the 2 and the 3. But, then he'll be taking away minutes from Afflalo at the 2 and Sharpe if he's going to be our back-up 3 hindering their development.

Well, tonight dream about getting Brand without giving up Sheed. :happy:

please keep Sheed part of any deal in your dreams and in reality...perhaps a bucket of KFC or a White Castle 10 pack of burgers for him might be in the works.

I had some dreams last night too...nightmares. Unfortunately I got up this morning and realized they were reality.

Hopefully Joe can restore my faith in him during trade/free-agent market.

Pistons announcer George Blaha: On the offseason moves, Michael Curry and more

On who he thinks will be traded from the Pistons:

Well, I think there is a remote possibility where no one goes. Because Joe (Dumars) is also not going to give these guys away. After he looks at what happened with Boston and he looks at this team and he sees the new coach, I mean, these guys are available. He’s made that known as you know, all kinda phone calls on ‘em. I think you go through the whole list and say the ‘whys and the why not’s.’ I'll just say this.

I think that Antonio McDyess isn’t going anywhere. I think that they love everything about ‘Dyess and he’s not going to bring us anything because of his age. I think that Rip Hamilton is the kind of a guy that would be very hard to send packin’ because he brings things that almost no one else in the league can. He had his moments like everyone else had when he wasn’t right on his game, but for the most part....

I don’t know who is going to go of the remaining three, but I think those two are the least likely to go and I’d hate to see anybody go because they’ve provided so much for us over the past years. They join the Lakers in the '80’s with all those trips to the conference finals, you know how good this team is but,

I believe Joe probably is determined to shake ‘em up and if he can do something that can probably help this team he’ll do it. I think he’s going to also be careful, of attitudes and you can throw out all kinds of names if you want and say, well is Carmelo Anthony coming here. I don’t know enough about Carmelo Anthony to know about his quote-unquote attitude, but I know they don’t want attitudes around here.

My bad I forget to enter in this thread

1. Pistons trade Sheed for a draft choice, clearing cap space

2. Pistons sign Josh Smith with cap space cleared by Sheed trade

Or alternatively

Pistons do a sign and trade with Atlanta Sheed for Smith.

This way Atlanta gets something for Smith and just doesn't lose him outright to free agency.

The first alternative is better for us but is contingent on someone willing to take Sheed for one year and give up a draft pick and then see if they can resign him or clear cap space with him in 2009-10.

Bottom line for us is that we replace Sheed with Smith or Sheed with Smith and a draft choice.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53275/20080629/bucks_looking_to_get_rid_of_villanueva/#

Bucks Looking To Get Rid Of Villanueva

The Bucks are looking to get rid of Charlie Villanueva as soon as possible, according to The New York Daily News.

Must people don't expect Villanueva to last very long with with Scott Skiles running the show in Milwaukee.

While not my first choice, he wouldn't be a bad pickup. Sounds like Milwaukee wants to dump him, so the Pistons could get him for nothing probably. He doesn't make much ($3.4 this year, qualifying next year for $4.6). Him at PF with Sheed at C and Dyess back to the bench would look pretty good.

Like I said, not my first choice at all. Big men are at such a premium and hard to obtain, this might be a good option for us.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53275/20080629/bucks_looking_to_get_rid_of_villanueva/#

While not my first choice, he wouldn't be a bad pickup. Sounds like Milwaukee wants to dump him, so the Pistons could get him for nothing probably. He doesn't make much ($3.4 this year, qualifying next year for $4.6). Him at PF with Sheed at C and Dyess back to the bench would look pretty good.

Like I said, not my first choice at all. Big men are at such a premium and hard to obtain, this might be a good option for us.

Maybe as a backup, but it seems like there something wrong with him. He's only been in the league for 3 years, but he was traded after his rookie year and he was injured most of his second year. Maybe there were reasons out of his control (Changing GMs, Coaches, Regimes, ect.), but I just wouldn't be sure about picking him up.

To begin with it is not very likely that the Pistons would be interested in Villanueva.

If we had an interest it would require us trading someone for him and there is no one that we are interested in trading that plays PF except for Wallace

Maxiell will be signed to a contract extension this summer and not traded.

Amir will not be traded.

The Bucks would not have any interest in Wallace. They are already at or over the salary cap.

Wasn't there something said about Dumars not being interested in other teams 2nd best players?

That being said, Villanueva doesn't even come close to being the Bucks 2nd best player......he's more like a 5th/6th best player on that team at best.

Even if the Bucks were shopping him, I'd be absolutely baffled if Dumars went after him......

Wasn't there something said about Dumars not being interested in other teams 2nd best players?

That being said, Villanueva doesn't even come close to being the Bucks 2nd best player......he's more like a 5th/6th best player on that team at best.

Even if the Bucks were shopping him, I'd be absolutely baffled if Dumars went after him......

Dumars was talking about if we traded a core player, getting him wouldn't require that.

8. Josh Childress, Hawks: Childress doesn't get nearly the respect or hype of many of his teammates in Atlanta, but he's been a devastatingly effective sixth man and who might still be expendable given all of Atlanta's wing talent. He probably can't get more than a midlevel deal on this market, but he'd be a bargain at that price.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgents-080629

great rookie year, been downhill ever since...no thanks.

-1.2 points and -.3 rebound per game is "downhill"?

Maybe you didn't watch the second half of last year when Yi went out with an injury and Villanueva averaged 14 and 8 over the second half of the year.

Are we talking Charlie or Josh? You guys confuse me.

Hmmm, good point. I was talking Charlie and just assumed DaBishop was as well. Apologies if he wasn't.