Deleterious

2008 Offseason Speculation/Rumors/Ideas

Lets use this thread to talk about all of our silly trade ideas, who you want them to draft, keep on the roster, get rid of and pick up in free agency this summer. Here are some reference links to help the discussion:

NBA Salaries by team

2008 Free Agent List

Trade Checker - Use this to see if the trade is viable under the salary cap rules.

Don't forget, trades need to make sense for both sides. Just because you want to do it, doesn't mean the other team would. We aren't trading Prince for Lebron, we aren't Trading Hunter for Miami's #2 pick, etc.

Denver gets:

Chauncey Billups

Tayshaun Prince

Detroit gets:

Carmelo Anthony

Steven Hunter

First, the trade checker will tell you this trade wont work. That is because Billups signed a contract last summer and when trading him, you use a figure lower then his actual salary cap number. On June 30th that goes away and you can use his full salary cap number in the trade. So obviously, this trade couldn't happen till then.

Second, forget Steven Hunter. He is a dog and only included to make the deal work money wise. If we got him, he would have two years left on his deal at $3.4 and $3.6 million. Yes that sucks we have to eat it, but thats the cost of doing business to get a player like Anthony.

Why Denver does this deal:

It's no secret they are shopping Anthony. This deal gets them a pretty decent replacement for him, plus an all star PG and former finals MVP. While neither is as good as Anthony, you would be getting better at two spots in return for downgrading some at one spot. So you would be spreading the talent around a bit, going to more of a team concept instead of just two big guns. A starting lineup of Billups, AI, Prince, Martin and Camby looks pretty good on paper. Sadly for them, Karl is still their coach.

Why Detroit does this deal:

First and foremost, they need a big time scorer, someone dynamic. That is exactly what Anthony is. He will do it both from the outside and in the paint. He will require double teams and if he can improve his passing, hopefully open up shots for other players on the team. Most importantly, he is the type of player who can get his shot pretty much when and where he wants, something the Pistons don't have now.

Now the first thing you naysayers will say, is Anthony doesn't play defense. I can't argue that at all, but let me tell you this. In the fourth quarter of game 6, the Celtics shot over 60% from the field. For the series, they scored 91.5 points per game. Remember back in the day, if you scored 75 on this team it was considered a victory? The idea that the Pistons are still a defensive team is long gone. Lets not pretend they still play good defense.

Second thing you will say, is Anthony is a jump shooter. Fact is, he takes about the same amount of inside shots as prince (Athony takes 37% from inside, Prince 36%). So that is pretty much a wash. However, Anthony is much more productive inside then Prince. He scores about double the points Prince does from inside (granted, he gets a lot more shots though). He actually scores just over 9 points a game from the inside, making him the 12th highest scorer from in the paint for the entire league. Pretty impressive to me. Plus, that is something the Pistons sorely need, scoring from inside the paint. Visit this site to see inside/outside scoring.

I would even be willing to toss in a pick if Denver wanted.

Pistons get:

Monta Ellis (sign and trade)

Brandan Wright

Andris Biedrins

Warriors get:

Rasheed Wallace

Tayshaun Prince

I like this one a little less, but:

Pistons get:

Mike Miller

Rudy Gay

Marcus Camby

Grizzlies get:

Richard Hamilton

Nuggets get:

Rasheed Wallace

I know, this could be two separate trades, but the Trade Machine allowed it, so just go with it.

Edit: This one is retarded. Disregard it.

Denver gets:

Chauncey Billups

Tayshaun Prince

Detroit gets:

Carmelo Anthony

Steven Hunter

First, the trade checker will tell you this trade wont work. That is because Billups signed a contract last summer and when trading him, you use a figure lower then his actual salary cap number. On June 30th that goes away and you can use his full salary cap number in the trade. So obviously, this trade couldn't happen till then.

Second, forget Steven Hunter. He is a dog and only included to make the deal work money wise. If we got him, he would have two years left on his deal at $3.4 and $3.6 million. Yes that sucks we have to eat it, but thats the cost of doing business to get a player like Anthony.

Why Denver does this deal:

It's no secret they are shopping Anthony. This deal gets them a pretty decent replacement for him, plus an all star PG and former finals MVP. While neither is as good as Anthony, you would be getting better at two spots in return for downgrading some at one spot. So you would be spreading the talent around a bit, going to more of a team concept instead of just two big guns. A starting lineup of Billups, AI, Prince, Martin and Camby looks pretty good on paper. Sadly for them, Karl is still their coach.

Why Detroit does this deal:

First and foremost, they need a big time scorer, someone dynamic. That is exactly what Anthony is. He will do it both from the outside and in the paint. He will require double teams and if he can improve his passing, hopefully open up shots for other players on the team. Most importantly, he is the type of player who can get his shot pretty much when and where he wants, something the Pistons don't have now.

Now the first thing you naysayers will say, is Anthony doesn't play defense. I can't argue that at all, but let me tell you this. In the fourth quarter of game 6, the Celtics shot over 60% from the field. For the series, they scored 91.5 points per game. Remember back in the day, if you scored 75 on this team it was considered a victory? The idea that the Pistons are still a defensive team is long gone. Lets not pretend they still play good defense.

Second thing you will say, is Anthony is a jump shooter. Fact is, he takes about the same amount of inside shots as prince (Athony takes 37% from inside, Prince 36%). So that is pretty much a wash. However, Anthony is much more productive inside then Prince. He scores about double the points Prince does from inside (granted, he gets a lot more shots though). He actually scores just over 9 points a game from the inside, making him the 12th highest scorer from in the paint for the entire league. Pretty impressive to me. Plus, that is something the Pistons sorely need, scoring from inside the paint. Visit this site to see inside/outside scoring.

I would even be willing to toss in a pick if Denver wanted.

Also Anthony averages roughly 8.5 free throw attempts per game. Billups leads the Pistons at 5.5, and I imagine some of those attempts comes from technical fouls, and late in games when the other team must foul. That shows Anthony has the ability to get into the paint.

This one is just crazy, but whatever.

Pistons get:

Randy Foye

Corey Brewer

Charlie Villanueva

Michael Redd

Bucks get:

Rasheed Wallace

Marko Jaric

Timberwolves 1st round pick

Timberwolves get:

Andrew Bogut

Richard Hamilton

Bucks 1st and 2nd round picks

Edit: The more I think about this one, the more I like it.

Billups/Foye

Redd/Stuckey/Afflalo

Prince/Brewer

McDyess/Maxiell/Villanueva

Johnson/Samb

That is one hell of an athletic team with a proven captain. Michael Curry would squeeze every drop of talent out of this group. There are too many guards though, another trade would probably have to happen.

Also Anthony averages roughly 8.5 free throw attempts per game. Billups leads the Pistons at 5.5, and I imagine some of those attempts comes from technical fouls, and late in games when the other team must foul. That shows Anthony has the ability to get into the paint.

Good points, I didn't even think about that, but certainly makes sense.

frazierMSU9,

The first two trades are pretty interesting. Not crazy about dealing Rip, but I guess Gay would be a nice replacement.

I guess I should have made this post before I made the Anthony post.

I basically see the Pistons having two paths this offseason. First one is keeping Flip obviously. If they do that, then a trade like the Anthony one is even more important. He is an offensive coach, get him the tools he needs to coach that way.

The second path, keep the team as is basically, fire Flip, bring in a new coach to stress Defense, rebounding, a more playoff friendly offense for our personnel. Make it so this team doesn't have to shoot 50% to win a game. Make it so they can go 8 minutes without scoring and still win because they play lockdown D, rebound, etc.

My trade is Rasheed Wallace for Richard Jefferson.

It works for New jersey because they have obviously waived the white flag by getting rid of Kidd. They have lacked front court depth and Rasheed's expiring contract will give them cap space.

Jefferson is a scorer who can create his own. Granted he is not the same as Anthony, but can be worked into the offense and is a better defender. That'll give you the option of trading either Hamilton or Prince.

If they deal Rasheed, I would like to see them try for a true C. Very hard to do, I know.

I think DTroppens brought it up sometime this year, trading for Chris Kaman. He had a breakout season last year, possibly related to getting his medical condition under control:

In January of 2008, Kaman revealed that he was misdiagnosed with Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.[3] Kaman spent much of his childhood on a farm[4][5] and as a child he used to tear shingles off of neighbors' rooftops and misbehave in school. His apparent ADHD affected his play in high school. He took Ritalin to treat the supposed condition, but the drug killed his appetite. Kaman became very skinny as a result. Kaman, diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder at 2½, found out the classification was wrong this summer. Instead, his brain was in overdrive, working too fast. Tim Royer, the neurosurgeon who discovered the misdiagnosis in July, worked on a daily training program with Kaman to slow down his thought process throughout the summer.

Sadly, I can't think of one reason the Clippers would trade him, other then the fact they are the Clippers and have a long history of letting talent get away. They are notoriously cheap, could Sheeds expiring contract be dangled in front of them? The only way this has any chance of working is based on the Clippers Detroit Lion like history of incompetence.

I'm still on the Okafor for Sheed bandwagon.

I would be all for it, except he is going to want bigger money then you expect. Doesn't matter really, they are over the cap for years to come.

Problem is, I don't think depending on the stupidity of another GM is a good philosophy to retool. Them trading Okafor makes about as much sense as my Kaman idea.

Not crazy about dealing Rip, but I guess Gay would be a nice replacement.

Yeah, I feel that way about both Rip and Chauncey. I don’t know if I’d break up that backcourt just yet. Piston fans are a bit spoiled – out of 30 teams we still have one of the best 2-guard tandems you’ll find in the NBA. I haven’t given up on Chauncey yet. He and Rip work well together and have terrific chemistry. So he doesn’t put up 25 a night – I still like him running the point, his game management and low turnover ratio, his ability to draw fouls on pump fakes, his 3-point shooting, and his experience. And he’s flat out money at stripe (and clutch - he'll calmly drain them with the game on the line). He’s the perfect guy to groom Stuck to take his place.

On a related note, just how freaking stupid is Rob Parker?

Anyway. Our problems are in the frontcourt, not with our guards. I’d hate to part with Prince as well, so that leaves Sheed. Bye, Sheed!

Adrian Dantley for Mark Aguirre. It would make Isiah happy.

You know, I always thought that trade was a year early. I think we still would've won that first title with AD (obviously, against the Limping Lakers), but probably not the 2nd.

Okafor or bust, Jordan makes terrible decisions, and Charlotte feels he's been a bit of a bust. LB likes Vet's, and we know he likes NC players and Rasheed Wallace. I'd go that route, try to see if the Pistons can fleece Jordan for a third time. Get rid of Flip Saunders, get rid of Wallace, and I think the Pistons can still be a highly competitive team next year. Rasheed doesn't show up half the games anyway.

Pistons get:

• LaMarcus Aldridge
  • Yao Ming
  • Joel Pryzbilla

Rockets get:

• Rasheed Wallace
  • Jason Maxiell
  • Steve Blake
  • Det 1st Round Pick
  • Cheick Samb

Trail Blazers get:

• Chauncey Billups
  • Luis Scola

This trade would be the block buster of all block busters and it is pretty even for all teams and I honestly feel all 3 teams could benefit from such a trade.

Pistons do it because Stuckey is emerging so Billups becomes expandable. Rasheed hasn't stepped up for them and they get a great PF C combo with a little depth from Joel(even though he is as valuable as Theo Ratliff).

Proj Starting Line

PG Rodney Stuckey

SG Rip Hamilton

SF Taysaun Prince

PF LaMarcus Aldridge

C Yao Ming

Rockets do it because they have not won a play-off series with Yao Ming(mainly b/c he is injured) so why not change it up when you are getting a very talented big man with some added depth at pg and pf from Blake and Maxiell.

Proj. Starting line

PG Rafear Alston

SG Tracy McGrady

SF Shane Battier

PF Rasheed Wallace

C Dikembe Mutumbo

Blazers do it because PG is a bigger hole than PF. With Oden ready to play next year Aldridge can be traded for a player with even talent for a bigger need. Scola would be a great fit in such a line-up.

Proj Starting Line

PG Chauncey Billups

SG Brandon Roy

SF Bo Outlaw

PF Luis Scola

C Greg Oden

Heh, come on lets get realistic. Pistons get the best two players by far in that deal. I doubt we could get Aldridge or Ming alone for all the players you have the Pistons giving up.

Is it at all possible that we're underrating our players and team in general? Hell, last season, there were posts that basically said to trade our starting 5 for KG or Kobe. Seriously?? If I remember correctly, someone suggested trading Rip and Tay for Jason Richardson! Imo, all we need is a guy with post presence, a new coach, and a player who can penetrate off the dribble. No ridiculous trades that will screw up the chemistry. Look at the Tigers. They have all the talent in the world on paper because they made huge trades in the off-season. A fat load of good that's doing them now. Talent does not equal wins. Look at New Jersey and Denver

If I remember correctly, someone suggested trading Rip and Tay for Jason Richardson! Imo, all we need is a guy with post presence, a new coach, and a player who can penetrate off the dribble. No ridiculous trades that will screw up the chemistry. Look at the Tigers. They have all the talent in the world on paper because they made huge trades in the off-season. A fat load of good that's doing them now. Talent does not equal wins. Look at New Jersey and Denver

Other than the fact they both involve the words "offseason trade", these scenarios have nothing in common.

You're talking about trading guys who have been starters on the Pistons for 4+ years.

Who did the Tigers get rid of that had contributed to the ballclub for more than one year this past offseason? I'll answer that. Sean Casey and Omar Infante. You can even throw Miller in there if you want. The rest were guys who had minimal contributions at the major league level.

So, how exactly would that be the same as trading Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun, etc?

Too bad Detroit didn't push for Sheed, rip, and 1st Rnd pick for Kobe when they had the chance. Who knows, they could have been the ones trading for Pau too. That would have been a sick team.

Other than the fact they both involve the words "offseason trade", these scenarios have nothing in common. You're talking about trading guys who have been starters on the Pistons for 4+ years. Who did the Tigers get rid of that had contributed to the ballclub for more than one year this past offseason? I'll answer that. Sean Casey and Omar Infante. You can even throw Miller in there if you want. The rest were guys who had minimal contributions at the major league level. So, how exactly would that be the same as trading Chauncey, Rip, Tayshaun, etc?
It wouldn't. My point is that talent on paper doesn't necessarily equate to wins. Joe D made this team great by finding players who compliment eachother. Trading 3 or 4 starters for one superstar would be stupid. It also pisses me off when guys say things like, trade Rip for a mediocre player. Granted, it may fill one need but it creates many more. Everyone always talks about the fact that we need a go-to guy. Give me a break. Why would we trade 3 starters for one player? So we can be a bad team with a go-to scorer? This is ridiculous. You all are acting as if we went 20-62! I'd rather lose in the ECF again than miss the playoffs entirely.

Tayshaun and the 29th pick to Dallas for Josh Howard. Simple, and it helps both teams

I like this one. But how good is J How on defense compared to Prince?

To Houston:

Sheed

Stuckey

To detroit:

Ming

Don't like this one. I'd like to keep Stuckey, but Sheed and someone else may go.