Sign in to follow this  
RSS Feeder

Willis makes relief debut for Tigers

Willis makes relief debut for Tigers

Posted by Scott McNeish on Sat, 24 May 2008 00:31:00 EDT.

Left-handed pitcher Dontrelle Willis made his first appearance since returning from a hyperextended right knee in Friday's 8-4 loss to the Twins at Comerica Park. He entered the game in the seventh inning and allowed one run on one hit and two walks, though one was intentional.

More...

I certainly hope not, but it appears D-Train will become our Dennis Cook/Mike Hampton/Barry Zito, et al. Unfortunate too, really- there's no doubt the guy wants to be here and desperately wants to do well. Maybe that's part of the problem......

AND HE LOOKED AWFUL, walked the first batter on 4 pitches!!

I agree that that was an awful way to start his tenure as a reliever.

I was only able to listen on the radio. To those who watched on TV (or in person), did it seem like maybe he was just nervous? He is known for being a bit hyper and high-strung. Not only was he making his return to the team, he was making a return in a brand new role. Maybe he was just overly excited and was pressing a bit?

I don't know if I'm trying to play devil's advocate or trying to give him the benefit of a doubt or not. I'm just hoping for a reason to believe that he's not going to be lousy.

He looked bad, but he's under an enormous amount of pressure, too. Nobody likes stealing money, and he knows that's what he's doing if he can't perform. He'll rise above it soon enough, he just needs three or four good outings in relief. Plus, relieving is a different mindset than starting. He probably is more comfortable starting.

How can a major league pitcher have such awful control like he has shown this year?

Clearly his control was better than this over his career with the Marlins.

How do you lose it?

Don't the Tigers have film of Willis from when he pitched successfully for the Marlins?

Why can't they look at that film and compare it to his delivery today and have him make the adjustment?

It doesn't seem like a complicated thing to do.

I agree that that was an awful way to start his tenure as a reliever.

I was only able to listen on the radio. To those who watched on TV (or in person), did it seem like maybe he was just nervous? He is known for being a bit hyper and high-strung. Not only was he making his return to the team, he was making a return in a brand new role. Maybe he was just overly excited and was pressing a bit?

I don't know if I'm trying to play devil's advocate or trying to give him the benefit of a doubt or not. I'm just hoping for a reason to believe that he's not going to be lousy.

He's made a really noticeable change in his wind-up. It's not as herky-jerky as it was. He didn't quite look comfortable with his delivery yet. I'd wait till he's got 4 or 5 appearances before I'd judge him. His fastball looked fine, though. He hit 94 once, so there is still velocity there.

He looked fine to me, after the first walk he threw way more strikes than we're used to seeing from him

Shouldn't have came out for a second inning though

He's made a really noticeable change in his wind-up. It's not as herky-jerky as it was. He didn't quite look comfortable with his delivery yet. I'd wait till he's got 4 or 5 appearances before I'd judge him. His fastball looked fine, though. He hit 94 once, so there is still velocity there.

Interesting. I didn't know about the change. Thanks TTF.